Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Rewatching the first set of episodes at an anime convention. Good stuff; I'm glad Digimon is still a thing.

Edit: oh, and this time I totally caught the beginning bit with the 02 kids getting wrecked. Not sure how I missed the point so hard on first viewing.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So is no one going to mention the fact that Imperialdramon got straight-up deleted? I mean, drat. I'm sure he'll come back somehow, but what a way to treat the big digimon evolution of season 2.

On a similar note, the way they talk about Ken makes it seem like they dealt with him before as a villain. "Why him again" I think is what Mimi said? I might be remembering wrong, but I think there was an interview with the director for Tri where he said the 02 kids not being mentioned was "part of the mystery." Maybe their involvement in the series got erased from the past somehow?
The government organization had a list of the 02 kids showing them as missing back in part 1, though, and a close up on Ken's name. Since their info was from Gennai, maybe they know stuff about 02 that the kids in Tri don't.

As for the new mega evolution method, it seems that it requires the kids to face their worst sides/personal situations and grow from it. I wonder if WarGreymon will evolve later, since Tai obviously is facing it the most.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh god I was fanboying so drat hard when Gomamon went through his entire evolution line until Vikemon. He was my favourite as a kid and I felt I was a kid again just watching that. And now he gets a Mega! I nearly cried. And then Mimi too! So nice!

Of course all of that happiness got destroyed really quickly when Meicoomon killed Leomon. I fully expected Leomon to die, he's LEOMON, but that was one way to go. And he died in the Real World, so...that's it for Leomon too. He isn't coming back. He's joined Wizarmon on the league of Digimon with cute cat friends who got killed in the Real World (that can't be a coincidence).

Talking about that, episode 1 was full of references to old Digimon episodes. Gomamon being with the girls, Yamato's grandmother's place not having computers, Koshiro having seen DigiLetters before in Centarumon's ruins, and more I've forgotten. There's clearly a lot of effort in making it clear that this is an Adventure sequel.

The 02 part...was not handled with so much finesse. That said, Takeru and Hikari clearly react far harder at Ken and Imperialdramon, which was a subtle but nice touch. What wasn't was that...they just loving killed Imperialdramon. V-mon and Wormmon were your friends, guys. No one even says anything about it. Hopefully Tri 3 will put a bit more of focus on that considering it's Takeru-focused.

Beyond that though, I enjoyed this a lot, just like how I enjoyed the first. There's still that sense of things having real consequences, like Togemon shooting down a helicopter by mistake, which I love. And the evolutions felt a lot less flow-breaking this time, though that might be because they really were a nice thing to see, gives it that Digimon feel. Give me more, Toei.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think it's a bit too early to say they KILLED Imperialdramon. Remember, Jogress digimon split apart when they devolve, and Tri. is different with its evolution effects and stuff, so it could be they were in the process of reforming as Ken opted to leave.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Having seen Tri 2 I have to say I think it was better than Tri 1 in a most ways, and I thought Tri 1 was really quite good. Most directly it felt a little more like Digimon Adventure, the shenanigans in the hot springs as well the school festival stuff felt a lot more like the less plot-relevant middle episodes of 99 and 02. At the same time Tri 2 was still tonally and thematically consistent with Tri 1. I have no bones with the talent of the writing. The writing was excellent in both movies, but I sort of wish they'd progress the plot. I'm struggling to think up anything really NEW we learned about what was going on, everything introduced and expounded on in Tri 2 was stuff we in the audience already knew or could reasonably infer. I really really hope Tri 3 starts answering some of the questions already, if you leave a mystery unsolved for too long it stops being engaging and starts being tiresome. I hope Tri doesn't become tiresome.

If I can be honest as much as I respect Tri and for all the good things I can say about the writing and directing and cinematography and voicework and animation (okay, slightly less about the animation since we occasionally dip into Toei.jpg) I kinda don't feel it. It's hard to put my finger on it but something about Tri 1 kind of turned me off. Tri 2 has come a lot further to getting me warmed up to this series, but it still feels somehow unfulfilling to me and it's hard to say why. I still have a lot of hope for the upcoming movies though, and I really am interested in seeing them and watching what shakes out. Frankly if they keep up this level of quality I'll still call them really good movies even they never quite click with me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm not liking the weirdness re: Zero Two at all. I liked that show and its characters and the way it's being approached has made me feel kind of queasy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not liking the weirdness re: Zero Two at all. I liked that show and its characters and the way it's being approached has made me feel kind of queasy.

On the flip side I'm not sorry to say I'm kind of enjoying it.

I'm also expecting the other shoe to drop concerning season 2 because that Epilogue still looms over us all.

Chances are there's going to be time travel or some other retcon bullshit and everything will be put back on track for that asinine epilogue.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Burkion posted:

On the flip side I'm not sorry to say I'm kind of enjoying it.

I'm also enjoying it a fair bit.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Once again, they've said this is about showing how the World eventually ended up becoming that of the epilogue.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please swerve it and uncanonize matt/sora

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I literally have no opinions about The Epilogue at all but the lack of the kids and 'mons from 02 outside of the Imperialdramon... situation... disappoints me.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Baal posted:

Please swerve it and uncanonize matt/sora

Uncanonize everything from the epilogue except Matt/Sora.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Rhonne posted:

Uncanonize everything from the epilogue except Matt/Sora.

How dare you badmouth Noodle Noodle Come Get Your Noodle

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Okay, that can stay too.

I wonder if the other 02 kids will show up and villains like Ken did. Then again, it would be kind of hard for their mons to be a real threat like Imperialdramon, especially since they don't have their fusion buddies.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I'm seeing the Ken thing as sort of a red herring; to me with the grabbing Meicoomon, her not doing anything, and then giving her back afterward felt like he was intentionally trying to help them digivolve through adversity to face whatever the real threat is. I mean it doesn't really explain Meicoomon going nuts after that, but that seems to be a different process anyway maybe?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'd say by part 4 we'll find out that Ken and the 02 kids are actually the good guys. ...or at least Ken is working with the government lady since she has so much time unaccounted for when going to Izzy's office and back while being aware that Ken was around, along with recognizing Ken despite him having his cool outfit.

...now i'm starting to think that maybe the 02 kids have been gone longer than we assume? we're all thinking that they were gone shortly before Tri to be taken down by Alphamon at the start, but what if they've been at the digital world for years or something? The guys just sorta know they're doing stuff and keep them in the back of their minds for whatever reason, maybe there was some soft of schism.

Determination was pretty great, outside of some bits that kinda reeked of money running out. Loved the more fun aspects going on now that it's done with introductions, and Joe and Mimi's arcs were pretty fun.

Oh god I just realized that World on the Knife is ANOTHER band Matt formed, so in between movies KNIFE OF DAY managed to break up. Please let this be a recurring thing, Yamato just loving up his bands and making new ones over and over until Taichi finally explains that he'st he wrong one.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 12, 2016

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'd say by part 4 we'll find out that Ken and the 02 kids are actually the good guys. ...or at least Ken is working with the government lady since she has so much time unaccounted for when going to Izzy's office and back while being aware that Ken was around, along with recognizing Ken despite him having his cool outfit.

...now i'm starting to think that maybe the 02 kids have been gone longer than we assume? we're all thinking that they were gone shortly before Tri to be taken down by Alphamon at the start, but what if they've been at the digital world for years or something? The guys just sorta know they're doing stuff and keep them in the back of their minds for whatever reason, maybe there was some soft of schism.

Determination was pretty great, outside of some bits that kinda reeked of money running out. Loved the more fun aspects going on now that it's done with introductions, and Joe and Mimi's arcs were pretty fun.

Oh god I just realized that World on the Knife is ANOTHER band Matt formed, so in between movies KNIFE OF DAY managed to break up. Please let this be a recurring thing, Yamato just loving up his bands and making new ones over and over until Taichi finally explains that he'st he wrong one.

Nah, World on the Knife was just the band club members that were performing for the festival. I hope I'm wrong though!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tri 3: Confession (Kokuhaku) comes out September 24th. The poster surprisingly does not show Seraphimon but rather Patamon, but it does show HerakleKabuterimon so I'm pumped as hell, as well as what seems to be an evolved state of Meicoomon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Tri 3: Confession (Kokuhaku) comes out September 24th. The poster surprisingly does not show Seraphimon but rather Patamon, but it does show HerakleKabuterimon so I'm pumped as hell, as well as what seems to be an evolved state of Meicoomon.

Oh God Patamon is going to be last to get his Digivolution again isn't he

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
poo poo, September 24 for sure? that's over half a year! Hope the extra two months make it even prettier i guess...

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wish the evolution to mega had gotten a little more fanfare. Visually they were almost identical to the evolution to Ultimate. Also the whole first episode seemed kind of pointless especially in the context of it being part of a longer movie. The animation was still great though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Huh, kind of surprised that the next movie is going to focus on TK and Izzy. I figured TK and Kari would share the movie seeing as their digimon are similar and all.

I guess the next one will be Kari and Sora's turn for megas?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
There was only one minute left. I thought the streak was over.

Leomon :smith:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rhonne posted:

Huh, kind of surprised that the next movie is going to focus on TK and Izzy. I figured TK and Kari would share the movie seeing as their digimon are similar and all.

And after that we'll have two more movies, the two government people and a final one with everyone?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And after that we'll have two more movies, the two government people and a final one with the Royal Knights?

Fixed :colbert:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Bee posted:

There was only one minute left. I thought the streak was over.

Leomon :smith:

It's like Highlander, there can only be one and that one is Regulumon from V-Tamer.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Rhonne posted:

I could not be happier. A friend and I were just saying that since TK and Izzy apparently talk to each other, maybe they'll have a movie together which would mean that Sora and Kari have their own movie. We laughed. It would never happen. Kari and TK are joined at the narrative hip. Still, we sighed wistfully at the idea of a lady-focused movie.

BUT THEN

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And after that we'll have two more movies, the two government people and a final one with everyone?

I'm thinking it'll maybe be one for Meiko, then Taichi/Yamato again where they finally resolve their bullshit. Or they do the right thing and do an ensemble finish with everyone. I'm just legit stoked for a girl focused movie, my friend and I were resigned to the Takeru/Hikari and Sora/Koushiro combo. Too bad it's probably a year away :palmon:

edit:

vivisecting posted:

I could not be happier. A friend and I were just saying that since TK and Izzy apparently talk to each other, maybe they'll have a movie together which would mean that Sora and Kari have their own movie. We laughed. It would never happen. Kari and TK are joined at the narrative hip. Still, we sighed wistfully at the idea of a lady-focused movie.

BUT THEN

EYYYY speak of the devil

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

If I never see the Royal Knights as an established group in a Digimon storyline again it will be too soon.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Let's not all pretend that the last movie isn't going to be all about the 02 kids and how wonderful they are. :barf:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Obviously, the final movie will end with all of the kids digimon fusing together into one mega-evolution.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'll be called omnimon to make the people localizing digimon sad

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

If I never see the Royal Knights as an established group in a Digimon storyline again it will be too soon.

Yeah, I'm sick of them. Use the Olympus XII or something else from time to time, writers.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They really missed an opportunity to bring in the Bancho digimon. Have Leomon digivolve to BanchoLeomon, die, then pass on his Bnacho powers to Lilymon. It just seems so obvious!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Rhonne posted:

They really missed an opportunity to bring in the Bancho digimon. Have Leomon digivolve to BanchoLeomon, die, then pass on his Bnacho powers to Lilymon. It just seems so obvious!

You have to earn the Banchou title.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Rhonne posted:

It would've been better than Gratuitousfanservicemon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The Bee posted:

It would've been better than Gratuitousfanservicemon.

Specially since they've already used her for the other plant-based female mega in Savers.

Rudoku posted:

You have to earn the Banchou title.

I'd be all for seeing Mimi and Palmon do just that to make up for usually being the absolute weakest in Adventure.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Leomon's Mega was already SaberLeomon, and Palmon's Mega has been Rosemon for over a decade now.

Honestly I prefer this if only so we don't get another "will Tailmon become Holydramon or Ophanimon" question, which I've seen several times since Tri began. Consistent canons are good canons.

I forgive Vikemon for being way cooler than Plesiomon though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You guys have looked at BanchouLilymon, right? Her design is just as fanservicey as Rosemon's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I didn't even know there was actually a BanchoLilymon, I figured that was a joke or something. It looks cooler than Rosemon, but Rosemon's aesthetics fit better with the rest of the crew.

Right now i'm seriously wondering what side Ken is on, ultimately he is going to be a good guy since he's in the epilogue and everything, and more importantly he is going to be a detective so his actions this movie add up to detective work (visiting crime scenes, gathering info and restraining a culprit/murder weapon until enough information is gathered) all he did was gather data, but was it to aid the chosen children, was he in cahoots with the government (that government lady, after obviously on purpose ensuring that Izzy would come to Daters so that the digimon were all alone for her to do something with, had ample unaccounted time to meet up with Ken and set up Meicoomon to be kidnapped) or maybe he and the 02 Kids are their own fraction in all of this?
Calling it now, he was hoping for Imperialdramon's defeat so that it'd be reborn and thus both partner digimon were finally free of the infection.