Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I tuck way down once in a while to blast past a van full of kids or something.

All the rest of the time, my helmet's design means that it's actually quieter when I'm sitting upright, so I go that way. At <80mph the wind blast on your chest isn't a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

VERTiG0 posted:

I've considered a windscreen as well but they just make the bike look like a loving queen alien:

The Givi one I mentioned didn't look *that* stupid on the website:

but I'd really like to see it in person before buying. I definitely like the handguards though.

\/\/ okay :smith: \/\/

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A MIRACLE posted:

Yes it does. :barf:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

darth cookie posted:

Yes and I either love or hate the styling depending on what day of the week it is (if we're talking about the older examples with the two round headlights, rather than the more recent ones with the diamond headlights which I just don't like) and I've sat on one and I just couldn't get comfortable. And I hate the instrument cluster with a passion (I hate digital displays on bikes in general). Plus I'd prefer to stick with Japanese.

The CB400 is a fantastic bike. It's top quality (and it feels it), bulletproof and a perfect commuter. I also think it looks awesome. Just not built for tall guys.

If it's too quiet, put a new exhaust on it and jizz your pants every time the VTEC kicks in.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Barnsy posted:

The CB400 is a fantastic bike. It's top quality (and it feels it), bulletproof and a perfect commuter. I also think it looks awesome. Just not built for tall guys.

If it's too quiet, put a new exhaust on it and jizz your pants every time the VTEC kicks in.

This is the way I'm leaning, but I don't think I've given the sv650 a fair shake, so I'll probably go and have another long hard look at one in the flesh and test ride (if I can find one!), if only to compare it to the 400.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

darth cookie posted:

This is the way I'm leaning, but I don't think I've given the sv650 a fair shake, so I'll probably go and have another long hard look at one in the flesh and test ride (if I can find one!), if only to compare it to the 400.

That was my issue in Sydney. Looked around for a used 650 with ABS but they're basically unobtainium at this point.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

It'll be effective. I can hear my valves through my spine with earplugs in.

Buell.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PaintVagrant posted:

I could graduate to a real old mans bike, a VFR800! I am a bit of a Honda fanboy too.

I've got 2 and both of them need some electrical love.

Trauma Tank posted:

So I was idly wondering what would be a good second bike to complement the V-Strom 1000 (which I haven't even received yet as Suzuki GB is out of stock apparently) I was thinking something cheap, fun and that I won't mind working on a lot to develop my wrenching skills when I saw this thing:

That is a beautiful as gently caress black and pink bike that I would ride the poo poo out of. I'm not seriously considering anything except as a 'maybe, sometime in the future' thing but drat.

So...how are Honda 1993 CBR600F F-1s for parts and reliability?

Here's the ad for anyone in Eastern England that wants a cocaine-powered streak of pink lightning: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512019121772
Literally the best bike I've ever owned.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 12, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 90's may not have been the best time for everything, but they were the best time for paint jobs.

By far my favorite 90's paint job , carried over to a 2000's bike:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 12, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

http://imgur.com/a/L2FpK

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

A MIRACLE posted:

but I'd really like to see it in person before buying. I definitely like the handguards though.

\/\/ okay :smith: \/\/

That won't gain you any neck comfort.

Uh, other bikes have valves too?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:fap: to this day, I would kill a man, in front of his own mother for an Alstare gsxr

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Not quite as dramatic but:

Tiger blade best blade. :colbert:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

A MIRACLE posted:

I also think it looks terrible, and it's too short to do anything anyway. All truly effective screens for this bike look like total poo poo, but some flyscreens that do absolutely nothing look pretty good (Yamaha OEM, Fabbri Gen-X).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

darth cookie posted:

A what?

1 google search later:

Wikipedia indicates this is known as the cb600f in my part of the world, and unfortunately, except for the late 90s examples, they've all gone the way of the wasp in styling and have an incurable case of the uglies. That is a terrible shame because the mid 00 examples that were still being sold in the US with the old styling look amazing and would be a strong contender (or at least I can't find any examples after 2000 with the nice styling in my listings). :smith:

Sorry about the stream of consciousness wall of words. It was half post, half internet journal and all 'tism.

Somehow this never made it to my list, which is weird because I know it exists. I've read rave reviews about it in multiple motrocycle magazines and yet somehow it completely slipped my mind. Unfortunately none are for sale in my local listings in the unfared configuration. I know I find the sv650s weird looking on the front end and perhaps I thought of the unfared version in the same terms as the gs500 for styling. Perhaps its because they have similar style frames and I don't much care for that.

I might still check it out though if I can find one in the wild. The wiki paper stats suggest its very comparable in that its got almost identical power and weight, but significantly more torque. The later examples don't come with ABS as standard. The average price is lower too. Interesting.

You sound like the target customer of the 2016 Yamaha XSR 900:

(850-ish cc, ABS, traction control, etc)

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

HotCanadianChick posted:

You sound like the target customer of the 2016 Yamaha XSR 900:

(850-ish cc, ABS, traction control, etc)

A buddy of mine gets his delivered at the end of the month. I will post riding impressions when I take it for a rip.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Eeeeh maybe?

I'd have to see one in person, but that looks a little too street-fightery to me despite the front headlight, and the 14L tank seems way too small for an 850cc bike. Also digital gauge :barf:

Its one of the nicer digital displays I've seen on a bike, but no.

Honestly I prefer the look of the xjr1300 but that's basically double the size of what I'm after.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 12, 2016

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Who even cares how a bike looks. Ride the bike and if it is fun to ride it will look good to you by virtue of its fun-ity.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nah. I'm a shallow soft handed millenial. Looks matter to me at least a little bit. Particularly what I can see from the riding position.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Jay Leno said, "Buy the car you like. If it increases in value, great! If it doesn't, or other people hate it, you still own something you like."

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Good advice.

Also out of the blue I spotted the unicorn sv650 in the wild while on my way to a comedy show tonight. It's much better looking in person than I remember (though I admit it was by streetlight, and much like a nightclub hookup, the lady may not stand up to scrutiny in the cold light of day), so if I can find one to take a test ride on, I'll have to give it a go.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
They're fun bikes. Lotsa TOOORQUE in the common city revs with plenty of grunt for highway cruising. Not as nimble feeling as my Ninja, though they're plenty maneuverable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dooooo iiiiit. If you liked the motor in your vtr but wished the power could be had at legal speeds, the sv will scratch that itch, while still allowing you to break the law if you so choose.

Lots of power from idle to redline, it's not limited to just top end power

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gotta find one for sale first!

edit: vvv that's uncanny.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 12, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The 90's may not have been the best time for everything, but they were the best time for paint jobs.

By far my favorite 90's paint job , carried over to a 2000's bike:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There's no VTech in a CB400 :negative:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Edit: this post was garbage and I'm too long without sleep. Move along.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 12, 2016

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Z3n posted:

There's no VTech in a CB400 :negative:

VTec kicked in yo.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

darth cookie posted:

Eeeeh maybe?

I'd have to see one in person, but that looks a little too street-fightery to me despite the front headlight, and the 14L tank seems way too small for an 850cc bike. Also digital gauge :barf:

Its one of the nicer digital displays I've seen on a bike, but no.

Honestly I prefer the look of the xjr1300 but that's basically double the size of what I'm after.

If you have the XJR1300 in your country and don't buy one, I swear I will find a way to stab you over the interwebs. So mad they won't bring it here to the states, it's the best looking bike made today. :argh:

E: also the new XSR doesn't look even remotely street-fightery, it doesn't have bugeye twin HID projector headlamps and godawful tribal tattoo and monster energy drink stickers all over it. :colbert:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 13, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Better start sharpening your internet stabbing device then. Sorry.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

That gauge is rad as hell.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

pokie posted:

Hello friends,

I just passed California MSF-equivalent course and want to upgrade from my Kawasaki Eliminator (125 cc, 12 hp). I rode around on it for a 30-40 hours, which is the extent of my experience aside from the course. My issue with it is that it starts really slow, even compared to commuter sedans, and its top speed is 55mph.

My neighbor is selling his Yamaha V-Star 650 (40 hp). He modded it with a large touring seat (passenger back rest and all), flat foot rests instead of pegs, and a windshield. I am not sure how many miles it has yet, but I recall he wanted around 4k for it. I would like your words of wisdom on this bike for a beginner.

I checked and the bike is actually 1100 cc (~60hp). It's a 2006 model with 15k miles. The owner wants $4k for it as is or $5k for helping me deal with any problems/mods or whatever may come up. He has a garage full of tools, modded the bike himself and lives next to me, so it seems like a good deal. Please let me known if I am clearly mistaken.

clutchpuck posted:

That's a good newbie bike but $4k sounds like a lot. If it were newish like '13-14 that would seem pretty reasonable.

In my area you can get a 1100 all day long or a 1300 with miles in that price range. 650s look like $2000-3000ish and they haven't changed them in forever so you wouldn't be losing out on anything by going with a 10 year old vs. a 2 year old model. Example: http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/5476872170.html (not sure your location)

What are your thoughts on my comment above? Btw I am in California.

pokie fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 14, 2016

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

pokie posted:

I checked and the bike is actually 1100 cc (~60hp). It's a 2006 model with 15k miles. The owner wants $4k for it as is or $5k for helping me deal with any problems/mods or whatever may come up. He has a garage full of tools, modded the bike himself and lives next to me, so it seems like a good deal. Please let me known if I am clearly mistaken.

What are your thoughts on my comment above? Btw I am in California.

Personally there's not a single mod here that you might have trouble with that justifies another grand on the price.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

What if it breaks down or whatnot? I feel like I could learn a lot from this guy.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Don't buy a 1100 vstar as a first bike. That thing is heavy, anemic and somehow still sucks to work on. According to a friend who owns one, you need to remove exhaust to undo the oil filter. The 750 Shadow, 883 Sportster or 650V star are much easier to deal with. Besides, 5k is stupid expensive, in my area at least. You can do way better.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, don't do that.
You could get a 60hp bike with half the displacement, mileage, and weight and twice the fun factor for half the cost. If we're quantifying things. And you can learn what you need to know to do the work yourself on drat near any motorcycle for practically free, or at least way less than an extra $1000.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 14, 2016

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Nitrox posted:

Don't buy a 1100 vstar as a first bike. That thing is heavy, anemic and somehow still sucks to work on. According to a friend who owns one, you need to remove exhaust to undo the oil filter. The 750 Shadow, 883 Sportster or 650V star are much easier to deal with. Besides, 5k is stupid expensive, in my area at least. You can do way better.

The owner installed an oil displacement kit or something to fix that issue.

What bike would you guys recommend around this price? I am open to most things that are not too cramped for my knees so that I can put in a lot of hours and get better.

E: my eventual goal is some aprilia monster like Tuona or Shiver, but I don't know if that will still be the case 1-2 years from now.

Also the price for the v-star only seems a bit high looking around on craigslist for cali.

pokie fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 14, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What kind of bike do you want? Why are you looking at big cruisers right now if your eventual goal is to get a naked sportbike like the Tuono?

If you like cruisers, the Shadow series are always a good starter choice. If you want a street bike, get a Ninja 250 if you're normal weight, Ninja 500 if you're fat.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush posted:

What kind of bike do you want? Why are you looking at big cruisers right now if your eventual goal is to get a naked sportbike like the Tuono?

If you like cruisers, the Shadow series are always a good starter choice. If you want a street bike, get a Ninja 250 if you're normal weight, Ninja 500 if you're fat.

Thanks for the recommendation - I will look at what's available here.

I don't have particular wants - I just want a bike that can do highway speeds fine and on which I can learn. I was aiming for the cruiser because I thought it would be a good idea to learn poo poo from my neighbor.

I am 6' or so, 175lb. I am a little concerned about sports bikes having such a sharp knee angle since my knees can hurt if stuck in that position for long periods, e.g. on airplanes.

E: Local craigslist shows stuff like this Ninja 250 for $2200. There is also a new Ninja 300 ABS version for $5k - is the ABS worth it?

How do you guys evaluate ABS anyway?

pokie fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Luckily, a Ninja 250 isn't a sport bike...it's a standard-layout motorcycle with the Ninja name on it. The seating position is upright and the controls are below you, not behind. Ninjettes have no problem hitting and maintaining highway speeds (will go 90mph+ without trouble). Your weight and height won't be a problem. They're light and easy to maneuver, cheap to sell and run, easy to maintain.

Check out cycle-ergo for some idea of how you'd fit on various motorcycles btw http://cycle-ergo.com/

That's a good deal on that 250, though if it's been sitting for 10 years with only 425 miles it's not even past the break-in period and motorcycles don't like to sit forever without running. You'll have some immediate maintenance to do (check over seals, carbs, replace tires, etc). Look for ones that are currently running and have things like new tires and chain already done. Also, you can buy one for $2200 and turn around and sell it for $2200 again next year, because they're always in demand as learner bikes.

ABS: Unless you're a serious racer you don't really "evaluate" ABS, the bike just has it or it doesn't. It's a good safety feature if it's in your price range.