Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I could care less what time it is somewhere else in the part of the world; I just want to stop having to gently caress up my sleep schedule twice a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think it's actually that much easier. Instead you have to look up what time zone your colleague is in, and then use a converter or do a caculation to figure out whether or not he's awake right now. Actually you have to do that calculation anyway.

You're right, you have to do the time-change calculation either way. But when local times are not normalized, you have to do even more to figure out what's going on.

When it's 9 am here and I want to contact a relative in Germany, I can do the calculation (or Google or look at an appropriate clock) and know it's 6 pm. He's probably off work and I can try calling him. Similar calculations for other places give me similarly relatable times: I know it's 1 am in Taiwan and I shouldn't bother calling, it's lunch time on the East Coast, etc.

Whereas the other way... I still have to do the calculation and then I know it's (for example) 3 pm (or 15:00) in Pakistan... But what the gently caress does that mean to me? Is that Pakistan's lunch time? The middle of the night?

Sure, on my local level I'll get used to waking up at 14:00, eating lunch at 20:00, and going to bed at 6:00, but I'll have zero sense for the local schedules anywhere else. All for what? So people scheduling things across large geographic areas don't have to specify & convert from a time zone? I don't get it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Checking time zones is really easy now - you can just Google "time in X" where X is a city, state, country, etc. Outlook will also do the work for you if your contact has location data set up properly.

Oh, I know. And yet, I have direct experience to suggest that tons of people still can't loving get it right. All the time. "Wait, do I add, or subtract the number of hours? Oh wait, it's tomorrow already there in australia, does that mean I need to add... oh, dang, no, subtr... wait" it's nuts.

If we're looking up time zones on an app anyway, the app might as well tell us "it's just before midday in Italy" or "it's still two hours before dawn in India" or whatever. Hell you can show that with a graphic, and some of the time zone websites do that.

Choadmaster posted:

Sure, on my local level I'll get used to waking up at 14:00, eating lunch at 20:00, and going to bed at 6:00, but I'll have zero sense for the local schedules anywhere else. All for what? So people scheduling things across large geographic areas don't have to specify & convert from a time zone? I don't get it.

To free us from the tyranny of culturally mandated living schedules that became obsolete when we stopped being an agrarian society. Also people in very large countries with all one current time zone could just get up when the sun rises, work, and go to bed when the sun sets, and there wouldn't be this built-in system trying to force them to live out of sync with the sun (we are biologically adapted to being diurnal animals).

Another advantage would be to help people who currently live or work very near a time zone line. It's stupid and disruptive to have to change what hour your clock reads, and deal with businesses and venues and appointments and schedules that change depending on which side of an invisible, arbitrary line you're standing on at the moment.

Look, I know there's basically zero chance of this happening. I'm not really serious about it. By advocating this, I'm at least helping people to recognize why daylight savings is stupid. Conceptually, the clock is a measuring device, and we live on a round planet, so the decision about where to place the ruler and what numbers it should show are arbitrary.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I just want to stop having to gently caress up my sleep schedule twice a year.

Are you literally an infant.

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

Leperflesh posted:

To free us from the tyranny of culturally mandated living schedules that became obsolete when we stopped being an agrarian society. Also people in very large countries with all one current time zone could just get up when the sun rises, work, and go to bed when the sun sets, and there wouldn't be this built-in system trying to force them to live out of sync with the sun (we are biologically adapted to being diurnal animals).

Another advantage would be to help people who currently live or work very near a time zone line. It's stupid and disruptive to have to change what hour your clock reads, and deal with businesses and venues and appointments and schedules that change depending on which side of an invisible, arbitrary line you're standing on at the moment.

Look, I know there's basically zero chance of this happening. I'm not really serious about it. By advocating this, I'm at least helping people to recognize why daylight savings is stupid. Conceptually, the clock is a measuring device, and we live on a round planet, so the decision about where to place the ruler and what numbers it should show are arbitrary.
But the concepts are completely different! Daylight Savings was instituted in the relatively recent past because we were all farmers, and because people thought it saved energy. (It didn't.) It's a silly concept that throws off our sense of time. And given that it happens twice a year, most people will mess up their clock at least once in their life.

People have wanted "noon" to equal "the sun being directly overhead" since the invention of time. Dropping that in favor of time zones makes sense for business and efficiency reasons, and it might even make sense to have one time zone per nation, although I am highly dubious.

But having a single global time zone is silly, and the reason it's never going to happen is because the vast majority of people won't want it to happen, and their interests will hopefully trump the interests of the members of the global financial / governing class who don't "get" time zones (and the unlucky people who have to deal with them).

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

withak posted:

A literal infant doesn't care about daylight savings time at all because his/her schedule is not tied to the adult clock.

It's an utterly pointless inconvenience that has no valid business reason for exist.

And also has been tied to decreases in productivity and increased accident rates, meaning that the switch to/from daylight savings time kills people.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, I know. And yet, I have direct experience to suggest that tons of people still can't loving get it right. All the time. "Wait, do I add, or subtract the number of hours? Oh wait, it's tomorrow already there in australia, does that mean I need to add... oh, dang, no, subtr... wait" it's nuts.

If we're looking up time zones on an app anyway, the app might as well tell us "it's just before midday in Italy" or "it's still two hours before dawn in India" or whatever. Hell you can show that with a graphic, and some of the time zone websites do that.

Well yeah, people as a whole are kinda stupid. Software has been making scheduling meetings easier than ever before, especially since it'll convert the meeting time to your local time zone for you automatically, regardless of where it was scheduled. I do a lot of business with people in different branches of the company around the world, and Outlook makes it really easy to coordinate things.

Leperflesh posted:

There will still be arbitrary points where businesses will open and close, and unless you have local/state/whatever laws enforcing/suggesting opening/closing times, you'll end up with a weird mish-mash. Would school start at 7:35 in one district and 7:37 the next district over? If we have those arbitrary points, people on the border will still be affected.

We are in agreement on daylight savings not being all that great.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

redscare posted:

A literal infant doesn't care about daylight savings time at all because his/her schedule is not tied to the adult clock.

It's an utterly pointless inconvenience that has no valid business reason for exist.

And also has been tied to decreases in productivity and increased accident rates, meaning that the switch to/from daylight savings time kills people.

I was thinking more that a literal infant is a person whose sleep schedule has a significant effect on their life. An adult is a person who gets their poo poo done even if they got an hour less sleep than usual today.

vvv Like I said

withak fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 12, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

withak posted:

Jesus loving Christ, are you someone who gets to wake up at some time past the hour of 6? Because let me tell you how much it sucks to drive to work before the sun has even risen.

:fuckoff:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CPColin posted:

New bill: California switches to UTC!

Watch The Simpsons on FOX! Sundays at 8/7 Central/0400 Monday California!

To be fair, networks already don't bother adjusting those things for California time. I was confused as hell as a kid because I'd see "8/7 Central" and wonder why that didn't mean that the show was on at 5PM.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

withak posted:

I was thinking more that a literal infant is a person whose sleep schedule has a significant effect on their life. An adult is a person who gets their poo poo done even if they got an hour less sleep than usual today.

vvv Like I said

You're clearly a robot who has never interacted with another person. Adults bitch and moan about the hour lost, and also make it to work on time. The two aren't mutually exclusive, so you might want to check your logic gates there.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

LA Talk: gently caress it we're going to build another freeway under the 405 (and rail too)

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-transit-projects-20160311-story.html

Metro has announced their plans on how they're allocating funds for Measure R2 that is on the ballot this november. It's a half cent sales tax pushing the county to 9.5%.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

withak posted:

I was thinking more that a literal infant is a person whose sleep schedule has a significant effect on their life.
Too bad youre wrong. Sleep schedules effect almost everyone, they just cover it up with caffeine and alcohol in america.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

incoherent posted:

LA Talk: gently caress it we're going to build another freeway under the 405 (and rail too)

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-transit-projects-20160311-story.html

Metro has announced their plans on how they're allocating funds for Measure R2 that is on the ballot this november. It's a half cent sales tax pushing the county to 9.5%.

lol I bet it still won't drop you off at the airport

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Didn't we learn our lesson with stacked freeways after Northridge? Pics of that collapsed double decker freeway :stare:

I still don't like being stuck under the overpasses in traffic...its like waiting for all that concrete to just fall down during the Big One and pancake your rear end. Probably wouldn't even be on a security camera either so there isn't even ghoulish footage for internet weirdos to lol at :smith:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The freeway that collapsed in SF in 89 did so because it wasn't built to adequate standards. I feel pretty confident a new freeway double-decker in socal is going to be built to very high earthquake standards.

The bigger issue is, when are we going to figure out that expanding freeway capacity does not improve drive times for longer than like a year or two, because development and usage expands to fill the capacity almost immediately?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Leperflesh posted:

The freeway that collapsed in SF in 89 did so because it wasn't built to adequate standards. I feel pretty confident a new freeway double-decker in socal is going to be built to very high earthquake standards.

The bigger issue is, when are we going to figure out that expanding freeway capacity does not improve drive times for longer than like a year or two, because development and usage expands to fill the capacity almost immediately?

I'd love to see some analysis/papers here on the bigger issue. Sounds compelling in high demand areas, but gut feelings - even those emanating from the voluminous guts of real economists - make questionable policy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Back in, oh, 1999 or so, when I was in school, I took an urban planning class as an elective. It was presented as well-established fact at that point, but I can't recall if we were looking at specific papers or what.

The phrases being used in academia to refer to the tendency of added road capacity to cause added usage are "induced travel" and "induced demand."

There is a lot of research. Using Google Scholar search on 'induced travel' turns up papers like:
Road Expansion, Urban Growth, and Induced Travel: A Path Analysis in JAPA, the Journal of the American Planning Association.

quote:

Abstract
Claims that roadway investments spur new travel, known as induced demand, and thus fail to relieve traffic congestion have thwarted road development in the United States. Past studies point to a significant induced demand effect. This research employs a path model to causally sort out the links between freeway investments and traffic increases, using data for 24 California freeway projects across 15 years. Traffic increases are explained in terms of both faster travel speeds and land use shifts that occur in response to adding freeway lanes. While the path model confirms the presence of induced travel in both the short and longer run, estimated elasticities are lower than those of earlier studies. This research also reveals significant “induced growth” and “induced investment” effects—real estate development gravitates to improved freeways, and traffic increases spawn road investments over time. Travel-forecasting models are needed that account for these dynamics.

There's a nice pile of papers to wade through there, if you're interested.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Back in, oh, 1999 or so, when I was in school, I took an urban planning class as an elective. It was presented as well-established fact at that point, but I can't recall if we were looking at specific papers or what.

The phrases being used in academia to refer to the tendency of added road capacity to cause added usage are "induced travel" and "induced demand."

There is a lot of research. Using Google Scholar search on 'induced travel' turns up papers like:
Road Expansion, Urban Growth, and Induced Travel: A Path Analysis in JAPA, the Journal of the American Planning Association.

Yeah, I took a similar class in college ("Economics of Public Policy") which covered this very topic, among others, and the conclusions were pretty much irrefutable. Basically, humans are surprisingly good at optimizing the routes they take everyday. Heck, this is probably even more true today since everyone has a smartphone that can dynamically calculate the best route.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Didn't the removal of that freeway in SF after the collapse actually improve traffic in the area as well?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minarchist posted:

Didn't we learn our lesson with stacked freeways after Northridge? Pics of that collapsed double decker freeway :stare:

I still don't like being stuck under the overpasses in traffic...its like waiting for all that concrete to just fall down during the Big One and pancake your rear end. Probably wouldn't even be on a security camera either so there isn't even ghoulish footage for internet weirdos to lol at :smith:

Any time I'm on that stretch of the 110 with the express lanes or whatever they are way up above the freeway I'm just waiting for the big one to hit and bring the whole thing down.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

lancemantis posted:

Didn't the removal of that freeway in SF after the collapse actually improve traffic in the area as well?

Are you talking about the viaduct at the embarcadero, which didn't totally collapse but was damaged and closed or the Oakland viaduct which did collapse?

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 13, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Scott Forstall posted:

lol I bet it still won't drop you off at the airport

Nope, it won't. They're (lax) building a people mover from it to LAX. So now nobody gets dropped off at LAX anymore.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Leperflesh posted:

Its almost likes cars are sort of a lovely way to get people around, especially when said car often only has a single occupant in it, and will spend the majority of the day parked somewhere.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Are you talking about the viaduct at the embarcadero, which didn't totally collapse but was damaged and closed or the Oakland viaduct which did collapse?

Looks like my memory is fuzzy. I was thinking of the Cypress Street Viaduct, which is in Oakland:

42 people were killed, the largest death toll from a single source from the earthquake (which killed a total of 63 people).

The embarcadero freeway section in SF didn't fully collapse, you're right, it was just damaged. Its removal didn't really negatively affect downtown traffic, but importantly, there are no continuous freeways running from the golden gate bridge down to the peninsula, and never have been. If you want to get from southbay to northbay quickly, you don't go through SF, and that's always been the case. So removal of that segment of freeway only really affected traffic flows around the downtown area... which are still fairly bad and have always been fairly bad and are never not going to be fairly bad.

That piece of freeway was basically stupid to begin with. It didn't actually go anywhere useful and the city already wanted to tear it down.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

lancemantis posted:

I think that's exactly what you'd expect for removing a freeway in a relatively dense area: the local road capacity remains the same, but the input into that system is now more constrained/further away. At least, that's what should happen if there's a decent alternative for commuting (in this case, Caltrain/BART?).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I can't go east on the bay bridge (lower deck) without thinking about this. Even though I know the odds are astronomically low and that it would probably be fine even if the Big One did hit at that exact moment, my knuckles grip the steering wheel just a little tighter.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

cheese posted:

I can't go east on the bay bridge (lower deck) without thinking about this. Even though I know the odds are astronomically low and that it would probably be fine even if the Big One did hit at that exact moment, my knuckles grip the steering wheel just a little tighter.

Have you driven on the new bridge? it's not really a lower deck for long.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

cheese posted:

The Richmond bridge is the scary one for me, especially on a motorcycle. There are grating holes in the sides of the roadway where you can look down and see the water below. And the roadway has that corduroy poo poo that gently grabs your wheel this way and that.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

lancemantis posted:

Not sure about traffic, but it certainly did wonders for the development of the waterfront

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_480#Demise

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Ya the new bridge is better. Still there is that time before Treasure Island going east...

Ron Jeremy posted:

The Richmond bridge is the scary one for me, especially on a motorcycle. There are grating holes in the sides of the roadway where you can look down and see the water below. And the roadway has that corduroy poo poo that gently grabs your wheel this way and that.
Ya gently caress that bridge. I drove it once in a heavy fog with bald tires and I felt like I was barely in control.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DeadlyMuffin posted:

the finest in chinese engineering and fabrication

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...a05f_story.html

So we just had a shitload of rain in the north. Between 3/3 and 3/6 Lake Oroville rose 20 feet. Lake Shasta and Lake Oroville are now above their average historical capacity, which of course means we should totally ditch these water saving bills because there's no way things can turn bad now that we've had two good storms in a row.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
PG&E customers have been incorrectly billed since March 1st. Billing is a multi-tier structure where tier 1 is slightly under the utility's cost for generation and transmission, tier 2 is slightly above, and tiers 3 and 4 are aimed at being prohibitively expensive to reduce demand. PG&E is in the process of a multi-year rate-flattening which is designed to increase the cost paid for electricity for the lower 2 tiers and decrease the cost paid for the upper 2 tiers until tiers 2 and 3 are close enough to be combined. After their latest proposed change was rejected by the CPUC as being too fast, it was applied anyway.

The CPUC has somewhat unclear guidelines on what the changes to specific tiers can be with no defined limits, but they have outlined that 19% increase is absolutely above that limit within a 12-month period and the March 1st tier 2 increase was 38%. People in PG&E territory since March 1st were therefore overcharged for their tier 2 electrical usage and undercharged for their tier 3 electrical usage. If the electrical portion of your PG&E bill is typically under ~$75/month you were most likely overcharged. If the electrical portion of your PG&E bill is typically over ~$100/month, you were most likely undercharged.

When the CPUC formally notified PG&E that they were charging customers rates that did not comply with regulations, they acknowledged but did not comply with a rate change to billing that meets regulations nor did they commence any remedial actions. PG&E is still charging the rejected rates and has no plans to correct its billing system at this time. They now must formally show cause for why they should not be sanctioned and make reparations to overcharged customers at shareholder expense.

edit: This is only for the standard tiered rate, not any time of use or electric vehicle rates.

fermun fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 15, 2016

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Not to suggest that the California high speed rail line has necessarily been well budgeted, but China building its rail system fast and on the cheap has not been without consquences. Trying to match the speed and price at which China built its high speed rail probably isn't advisable.

I wasn't suggesting that. China spent $25 million / mile on average. If we directly compared them that would be $20 billion for CA HSR. So it means we're spending three times as much. That isn't as bad as I thought at first, but that's also why I wanted to find out where the money is allocated.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The saga of the South Bay Air Quality Management District continues.

For those of you not aware, several Orange County mayors banded together late last year to replace a Democrat on the board with a Republican, making a 7-6 Republican majority starting in January. Since then the pro-business majority sacked the long-time head without cause (i.e. for opposing pollution and trying to reopen debate on a plan to strengthen a cap-and-trade rule on nitrogen oxides that had been dropped in favor of an ineffective plan proposed by the Western Petroleum Manufacturers Association and business interests). State Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León then stepped in to float a bill adding three members to the board (to restore an anti-pollution majority).

Today, however, the previous already-ineffective nitrogen oxide plan was ruled unsatisfactory by the EPA (though the district thinks it will get away with the weaker-than-recommended improvement plan approved in December). The ruling opens the door for sanctions against the district in 18 months, if not an outright federal takeover, if the December rule is also ruled unsatisfactory later this year. Such sanctions may jeopardize federal transportation funding to the LA area, if not the entire state of California.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I don't see how this actually hurts the GOP at all. They hate LA, and they hate federal transportation. As far as I can tell, Orange County is getting rewarded for this.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The saga of the South Bay Air Quality Management District continues.

For those of you not aware, several Orange County mayors banded together late last year to replace a Democrat on the board with a Republican, making a 7-6 Republican majority starting in January. Since then the pro-business majority sacked the long-time head without cause (i.e. for opposing pollution and trying to reopen debate on a plan to strengthen a cap-and-trade rule on nitrogen oxides that had been dropped in favor of an ineffective plan proposed by the Western Petroleum Manufacturers Association and business interests). State Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León then stepped in to float a bill adding three members to the board (to restore an anti-pollution majority).

Today, however, the previous already-ineffective nitrogen oxide plan was ruled unsatisfactory by the EPA (though the district thinks it will get away with the weaker-than-recommended improvement plan approved in December). The ruling opens the door for sanctions against the district in 18 months, if not an outright federal takeover, if the December rule is also ruled unsatisfactory later this year. Such sanctions may jeopardize federal transportation funding to the LA area, if not the entire state of California.

So how's the air quality in Porter Ranch? :v:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm interested in hearing opinions about Kamala Harris. I read up on her a bit but I'm not too sure. Anything I should know about the people she's running against?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Kamala Harris is generally seen as good for California (she's pro-gun-control, supports sanctuary cities, has prosecuted environmental laws and anti-gay hate-crimes pretty well, and played hardball during the National Mortgage Settlement talks following the subprime mortgage crisis), but not perfect (she has a tendency to be pro-law-and-order when it comes to prosecutorial misconduct).

Better than Dianne Feinstein at any rate.

Wikipedia's a good starting point and summarizes most of her pros and the few cons she has.