Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Netflix currently consumes well over a third of peak internet traffic in the US (37% as of last May, so it's probably more like two fifth's now). The issue in Australia isn't really the metering, becuase as you said, Netflix can work deals with ISPs to allow it. The issue is the sheer total bandwidth hit on Australia's internet infrastructure. The country simply hasn't got the capacity for any significant number of customers to be streaming HD movies at 9pm on a friday night.

this is from last September, so only six months after Netflix rolled out in Australia, I believe? If adoption ramps up as expected, within a couple years the entire network is gonna be basically crippled.

It's not a problem unique to Australia, either. Many countries worldwide just aren't equipped to see their internal traffic spike a thousand percent in five years due to the advent of hi definition on demand video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

QuarkJets posted:

If your faith in bitcoin is real then you run 100 bitcoin nodes in your garage, but that's still less than 1 GB per hour

My months cap is like 250gb. So one day of being bitcoin boss.

I'm not sure the tv show will work.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Leperflesh posted:

Data caps exist in places like Australia because they've failed to implement modern internet infrastructure.

Also rural USA. I use to have a monthly cap of 5 GB with my old ISP, and this was in New York.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Holy poo poo what's going on in China? Why's there so many god drat Chinese buying up coins over the last few weeks?
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/volumepie/

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

they are moving them between themselves in order to pretend it actually has purpose and/or value and hopefully convince some complete idiots to put real money with actual value into it. Y'know, like every single other time there has been a spike in transactions and/or exchange prices ever since glorious Satoshi shat out his retarded idea.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Leperflesh posted:

Netflix currently consumes well over a third of peak internet traffic in the US (37% as of last May, so it's probably more like two fifth's now). The issue in Australia isn't really the metering, becuase as you said, Netflix can work deals with ISPs to allow it. The issue is the sheer total bandwidth hit on Australia's internet infrastructure. The country simply hasn't got the capacity for any significant number of customers to be streaming HD movies at 9pm on a friday night.

this is from last September, so only six months after Netflix rolled out in Australia, I believe? If adoption ramps up as expected, within a couple years the entire network is gonna be basically crippled.

It's not a problem unique to Australia, either. Many countries worldwide just aren't equipped to see their internal traffic spike a thousand percent in five years due to the advent of hi definition on demand video.

In glorious Canukistan I just ran Netflix and Youtube in low res mode to keep it from devouring all my bandwidth. Most of the time it's fine, I don't need to see the actor's individual skin pores and nose hairs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Angela Christine posted:

In glorious Canukistan I just ran Netflix and Youtube in low res mode to keep it from devouring all my bandwidth. Most of the time it's fine, I don't need to see the actor's individual skin pores and nose hairs.

now you know how americans feel about healthcare

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

That said, you only need to download the entire blockchain once. After that, each new block is 1 MB, and you only need to upload something when you either confirm a block (first), or are making a bitcoin transaction. So it's not that bandwidth intensive. But that initial download is gigantic: currently 61.5GB.

If you're mining, you're meant to be including transactions in the blocks that you add to the chain (although some choose not to), so you also need to receive (attempted) transactions from everyone on the planet (who is using bitcoin) right?

wayne curr posted:

Holy poo poo what's going on in China? Why's there so many god drat Chinese buying up coins over the last few weeks?

Some bitcoins move on the blockchain so you can see them, but what happens on an exchange is internal to that exchange. Even though sometimes people move coins in and out of the exchange, the exchange probably creates new addresses that external parties don't know are associated with the exchange, so I don't think you can tell what the exchange's volume is by looking on the blockchain. I'm going to guess then that the exchange volume is self-reported and is just a huge lie to make it look like bitcoin is actually alive.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Comcast is gracious enough to give me 300gb in exchange for the money i pay every month to use the internet... God bless them

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

wayne curr posted:

Possibly because the CCP has recently made it either illegal or extremely difficult to get your money out of the country. The situation is now so bad that taking a gamble laundering your money out with bitcoin might seem like a good idea.

http://www.chinalawblog.com/2016/03/getting-money-out-of-china-the-reality-has-changed.html

Earlier you could take a limit of 50grand a year out of the country, which is why the bitcoin miners are all in China and were (and still are) desperately trying to get past that limit, and it just got worse.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 12, 2016

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I'm the photoshopped qr tag.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Dreddout posted:

I'm the photoshopped qr tag.

i scanned you :wiggle:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This is somehow not satire.

https://blockchainfutureslab.wordpress.com/2016/02/27/a-typical-day-in-a-blockchain-enabled-world/

A Typical Day in a Blockchain-Enabled World Circa 2030 posted:

Let’s follow Crowley as his day unfolds. It all starts when Crowley wakes up in the morning. Crowley wears his sleep-optimizing bracelet at night, which uploads his pre-waking vital signs anonymously to the Internet. Using this information, machine-learning systems across the world use bitcoins to bid on the time Crowley’s alarm clock should go off, given his physical condition and sleep/wake cycle. The winning bid is the one that lets Crowley sleep the longest.

And much much more.

quote:

You might have thought that a world built entirely on decentralized Bitcoin transactions would be a horrific dystopia. But after reading the awesome description of a day in the life of a typical bitcoiner in the year 2030, where everything operates via Bitcoin, we’re sure your worries have been conclusively put to rest.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

this is seriously pro-click

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Lucky Guy posted:

i scanned you :wiggle:

What happened, did you receive bitcoins?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Forevereal mining blocks and enjoying it. Fully digitized currency and loving it.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
I asked a friend of mine what he was doing with his time (he dropped out of college after his freshman year) and he explained to me that he spent most of his time working. "Working" means "designing an automated bitcoin trading system based on machine learning". Is this as absurd a fantasy as it seems?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yes

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Bitcoin price flux is almost completely the result of social panic, and bears no relationships to any other indicators of the economy. Machine learning is dicey for things we understand pretty well in the market (like how precious metals usually increase in price during market volatility) and is mostly used for arbitrage and exploiting small fast "sure thing" trades that appear and disappear faster than humans can hunt them down. There a zero percent chance that will work.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

TheQuietWilds posted:

Bitcoin price flux is almost completely the result of social panic, and bears no relationships to any other indicators of the economy. Machine learning is dicey for things we understand pretty well in the market (like how precious metals usually increase in price during market volatility) and is mostly used for arbitrage and exploiting small fast "sure thing" trades that appear and disappear faster than humans can hunt them down. There a zero percent chance that will work.

You're already giving that guy too much credit by assuming that he a) has any actual programming talent, and b) is actually doing something other than scratch his balls all day.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

TheQuietWilds posted:

imagine: each person in a residential building is an artificial neuron. you activate your neighbour by hammering on the walls, and the volume is your edge weight. you also have a blockchain on your computer!

that's a free decentralized neural network, free from government interference. just imagine the possibilities!

e: nobody steal my idea, I have an uncle working at the patents office

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 17, 2016

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Blanketspace posted:

I asked a friend of mine what he was doing with his time (he dropped out of college after his freshman year) and he explained to me that he spent most of his time working. "Working" means "designing an automated bitcoin trading system based on machine learning". Is this as absurd a fantasy as it seems?

the design work is easy: previous bitcoin prices -> machine learning! -> future bitcoin prices

where he'll fail is the implementation

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Even if you could predict bitcoin price fluctuations you can't buy and sell bitcoins efficiently, safely and cheaply enough to make it work.

Well, unless the result of your algorithm is 'don't buy bitcoins'.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 17, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Novo posted:

the design work is easy: previous bitcoin prices -> machine learning! -> future bitcoin prices

where he'll fail is the implementation

(Looks at graph of price history) "This is easy! You just buy in here, at the low point, then sell right here at the next peak. Then do that again, here and here. And here and here. Man, I can't believe no one has figured this out before! I'm going to be rich!"

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Fangz posted:

To be fair if he comes up with that he'll have one of the best ROI of any Bitcoin 'investor'

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fangz posted:

Even if you could predict bitcoin price fluctuations you can't buy and sell bitcoins efficiently, safely and cheaply enough to make it work.

strange game, the best move is to kill you're self

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

The second line reads like sarcasm, so actually it probably is.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Blanketspace posted:

You should kick them in their balls and then sever because the short version of what you just said is "my friend is a giant gently caress up loser"

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Cheez posted:

The second line reads like sarcasm, so actually it probably is.

Its taken from a book you can buy with (real) money that was written by an Etherium dev.

Looks like a true believer to me.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'm just waiting for the inevitable failure now.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

quote:

Unbeknownst to Crowley, a woman named Sofia who lives on the street he’s walking down has just made a big salad for her family and realizes she’s made too much and will have leftovers.

For this reason, she takes a picture of the leftover salad and uploads it to a food-sharing website. On that site, reviewers are paid with bitcoins to supply estimates of the tastiness of this salad. Within a few seconds, Crowley’s phone rings because earlier he had put in a request for a meal of at least an 8 out of 10 rating in tastiness for no more than 15 satoshis that he could obtain on his way home, and Sofia’s salad meets his request!

yeah I'm a pretty big deal over on the food estimating forums *cracks knuckles*

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

wayne curr posted:

Update:

Chinese continue in their quest to buy up all the butts.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
love all the free market kings who rail about the Nazi US fed and then hate on all the chinamen who are ruining buttcoin for them

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
hey guys

guys guys guys guys

get ready for the greatest thing ever

seriously hold on to your cocks

serious

are you ready?

Bitcoin? More like buttcoin, right? :haw:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Bitcoin? More like buttcoin, right? :haw:
We've been waiting for so long and finally someone has said it!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
fuckin bitch I was gonna say it

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Howard Beale posted:

This is some dystopian nightmare poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Howard Beale posted:

Why wouldn't Crowley just review the food and the woman who made the salad got a rating that way. That's how we do it now. It doesn't just work, it's the best way.
Why is there a forum filled with people doing something with bitcoin to guess how tasty something is based on a picture taken with a phone.

• Locked thread