Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Preaching to the choir, but if people learned to respond to flashing high beams by moving over (or even just anticipate that there might be someone who wants to pass you) idiots in large vehicles wouldn't have to tailgate so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Nobody ever "has to" tailgate.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

a primate posted:

Preaching to the choir, but if people learned to respond to flashing high beams by moving over (or even just anticipate that there might be someone who wants to pass you) idiots in large vehicles wouldn't have to tailgate so much.

or... just use the passing lane as inte... aw gently caress thats never happening

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

a primate posted:

Counterpoint: If idiots in large vehicles want to be giant assholes that think they own the road and refuse to share, they deserve whatever bad happens from tailgating. Back off, take a breath, wait for an opening and go around, it's really not that hard. I routinely see people around my city in giant trucks and SUVs and they're the first ones to try blocking someone from merging, or tailgating even if traffic is going the limit or 5 over.

Then again, maybe if assholes like that learned how to manage their time, they wouldn't be in such a hurry and feel like they have to tailgate. Unless you're police, EMTs or firemen, you can gently caress yourself with a bat full of rusty nails for tailgating.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ozz81 posted:

Counterpoint: If idiots in large vehicles want to be giant assholes that think they own the road and refuse to share, they deserve whatever bad happens from tailgating. Back off, take a breath, wait for an opening and go around, it's really not that hard. I routinely see people around my city in giant trucks and SUVs and they're the first ones to try blocking someone from merging, or tailgating even if traffic is going the limit or 5 over.

Then again, maybe if assholes like that learned how to manage their time, they wouldn't be in such a hurry and feel like they have to tailgate. Unless you're police, EMTs or firemen, you can gently caress yourself with a bat full of rusty nails for tailgating.

:drat:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

There's a guy in the Volvo circles who has two cars with license plates that go like 0O00OO0O and 00OO0O00. I was going to get pictures but it looks like he dumped all of them off the net recently.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I find myself loving the idiots who use their brights all night, every night and early morning, on major highways, because there is nothing like checking your mirrors and being blinded.

Though the best has to be when the car right behind you lays on the horn because you aren't (a) going fast enough or (b) have stopped. The fact that something may be in the road (like a person in the crosswalk, jackass!) or there is something else bad ahead, loving slow down and wait a second! There is a good reason I stopped and it's not to loving text someone! Such as....

Cyclists. I saw some dude in all the pro cycle gear being nice, for once, and riding through a crosswalk...only to veer back and start zipping between the cars waiting at their red light. Like a kid playing, riding all the way to the back of the first car, then zipping up to the next one and then back around to the next. The fact he wasn't hit when the light turned green either means he's loving insane lucky or for once everyone was paying attention.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

MiniFoo posted:

Nobody ever "has to" tailgate.

Remove "have to" from my post and I stand by it :colbert:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

I find myself loving the idiots who use their brights all night, every night and early morning, on major highways, because there is nothing like checking your mirrors and being blinded.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of brights. Passed a guy last night who had a loving 20 inch light bar in their bumper. I couldn't see poo poo until he passed. What a jackass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dude has showed up around work with one of those light bars, it's mounted to a late model wrangler that has never seen a spot of mud in its life but has all the offroad tchockes.

But it's mounted along the bottom edge of the windshield and extends ~4 inches upwards, further cutting off his view of the road.

When he wrecks it I hope he's the only one that gets hurt.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

John Dough posted:

And I found their Belgian cousin. Well, sort of.

Older one I got in D.C.:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just want a barcode license plate like in Robocop and Back to the Future 2.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

davebo posted:

Older one I got in D.C.:

Snapped this in Canterbury about a year ago.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Gonna say this is California, gonna say he doesnt have a front plate on illegally ( not gonna hate for that ) and going to say its during the drought and look how dry all his neighbours lawns are and how green his is, with the hose out because he just washed his truck.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

D C posted:

Gonna say this is California, gonna say he doesnt have a front plate on illegally ( not gonna hate for that ) and going to say its during the drought and look how dry all his neighbours lawns are and how green his is, with the hose out because he just washed his truck.

The California license plate in the windshield seems to corroborate your story. Although I don't know if "#1 FAN" is an actual plate, or one of those fake vanity ones.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ludicro posted:

I wonder if a police car ever doesn't pull him over.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ludicro posted:

It looks like that building there wants to collapse on the car out of spite.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Ludicro posted:

That's why they call him the Archbishop

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

um excuse me posted:

Speaking of brights. Passed a guy last night who had a loving 20 inch light bar in their bumper. I couldn't see poo poo until he passed. What a jackass.

I saw one of those. Behind me it looked like a Mazda 3 had the bass mouth replaced with a halogen light fixture, but then when he passed it was a Bro truck.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

a primate posted:

You underestimate the self-righteousness of people who "aren't breaking the law" and their need to obstruct people who "are breaking the law".

I really don't care if someone wants to go 160 in a 130 zone. I'll move over and let them sod off of their own accord. Why should I care if they are speeding?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Wonder if the brake checker stopped? They certainly got over after that.

I'm on the fence in this one guy was clearly passing people at a good pace and while he could have gotten over immediately after passing the semi, there was a car merging onto the freeway soon in that spot.

I guess no matter what I have little sympathy for tailgating shitheads, and this one clearly had no business driving in the first place.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Deedle posted:

You underestimate the self-righteousness of people who "aren't breaking the law" and their need to obstruct people who "are breaking the law".

I really don't care if someone wants to go 160 in a 130 zone. I'll move over and let them sod off of their own accord. Why should I care if they are speeding?
I'll go a step further and say I prefer when people speed past me - you can go be bait for the cops, I'll continue on my merry at 10 over.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Krakkles posted:

I'll go a step further and say I prefer when people speed past me - you can go be bait for the cops, I'll continue on my merry at 10 over.

I like this too, except that it seems like half the time as soon as they pass me and I get back over behind them, they slow down to 5 below the speed I was doing before they caught up to me. This makes me sad.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

MiniFoo posted:

Literally seven posts above you, buddy.

drat, I looked two pages back too! I wonder if they didn't load or wtf?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Locator posted:

I like this too, except that it seems like half the time as soon as they pass me and I get back over behind them, they slow down to 5 below the speed I was doing before they caught up to me. This makes me sad.
Agreed. People suck.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

The Locator posted:

MY EXIT IS COMING UP IN 3 MILES DONT WANT TO MISS IT

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

Krakkles posted:

I prefer it too, but more as an alternative to people who pull into my blind spot and hang there for a while before slowly creeping past at [my speed] + 0.001mph

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

TNO posted:

I prefer it too, but more as an alternative to people who pull into my blind spot and hang there for a while before slowly creeping past at [my speed] + 0.001mph

And then once their rear bumper is even with your front, they slow to [your speed] - 0.001 mph, rinse, and repeat? Yeah. Those guys are the second biggest contributors to my driving stress after left lane hogs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Had a guy try to run the red while I was making a protected left turn. I saw him not paying attention, so was prepared for it. I stopped before he hit me and laid on the horn for a bit while he backed up because it made me feel better.

Later, I realized I didn't feel anything about almost getting hit other than dull annoyance. No anger or adrenaline. Guess I'm used to people trying to kill me. :|

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

While driving through East Brunswick the other day, I saw two lanes of opposing traffic stop for about half a dozen adult Canada Geese on the road who weren't in any big hurry to cross. The drivers were also in no hurry to encourage them off the road. Now, if they were goslings I could kind of understand the mentality of stopping for them but the gaggle were all adults. My parents have pond side property so I absolutely hate those things making GBS threads all over our lawn.

Fortunately they weren't on my side of the road so I just drove past that mess. Not a quarter mile later, an ambulance with its sirens going was heading towards that mess. That would have been an amusing clusterfuck to watch.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Last night on our drive home from a birthday party in Venray, my girlfriend and I were the unfortunate witnesses to a collision between a bicyclist and an HGV.

Thankfully the teenager on the bicycle survived long enough for EMTs to scrape him off the pavement.
But the whole affair was pretty drat hosed up.

The bicyclist had no lights or retroreflectors to make them visible. The road in question is an 80kph zoned provincial road, that is closed to pedestrians, bicyclists, mopeds, and agricultural vehicles.
And as makes sense with a road like that, there are no streetlights.
There is a parallel lane, separated from the main road, specifically for the traffic not allowed in the main road.

I called 112 to get an ambulance and cops to come to the scene. Because what else can I possibly do?

Seemingly out of nowhere a man that tells me he is the father of the bicyclist shows up and starts to question me about what happened.
As I told him the boy on the bicycle was riding in the wrong place and without lights, he gets extremely angry. How dare I blame his son, the victim, of being responsible for getting run over by an HGV.

I told him that it really is what happened and that I already gave a statement to the police.

Apparently hearing the truth about the stupidity of your child is a reason to threaten the people who were traumatized by having to witness the entire incident to begin with.

As my girlfriend walks back to the car to get away from the irate fuckwit, he grabs her spastic arm and starts a rant about how he just knows the she got that from a traffic accident.

Great, now my girlfriend has bruises up and down half her arm. Some stupid kid is in hospital after riding his bicycle under an HGV, and his dad is in jail on assault charges.
I wonder how the mother is going to react when later this week they'll get a court summons, because we're suing them for compensation for the bodily harm inflicted by the father.

People are stupid.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Uthor posted:

Had a guy try to run the red while I was making a protected left turn. I saw him not paying attention, so was prepared for it. I stopped before he hit me and laid on the horn for a bit while he backed up because it made me feel better.

Later, I realized I didn't feel anything about almost getting hit other than dull annoyance. No anger or adrenaline. Guess I'm used to people trying to kill me. :|

I've gotten to this point recently too. It's like I sense that someone is about to do something stupid, so I back off or give them room, and when they do their stupid thing, I'm already safe. Then I just say "dumbass", and go on with my drive. It's actually really nice to not get super stressed over every time someone drives like poo poo.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Uthor posted:

This happened on the road in front of my apartments yesterday - I was in a left turn lane, saw an opening in traffic just as the light turned yellow, and some dick in a Focus decided to hammer his gas to try to beat the light. Guess he had a change of heart when he realized I was in mid-turn and wasn't going to stop on account of him being an rear end in a top hat and he slammed his brakes, skidding a couple feet. gently caress that guy and everyone like him.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Deedle posted:

Last night on our drive home from a birthday party in Venray, my girlfriend and I were the unfortunate witnesses to a collision between a bicyclist and an HGV.

Thankfully the teenager on the bicycle survived long enough for EMTs to scrape him off the pavement.
But the whole affair was pretty drat hosed up.

The bicyclist had no lights or retroreflectors to make them visible. The road in question is an 80kph zoned provincial road, that is closed to pedestrians, bicyclists, mopeds, and agricultural vehicles.
And as makes sense with a road like that, there are no streetlights.
There is a parallel lane, separated from the main road, specifically for the traffic not allowed in the main road.

I called 112 to get an ambulance and cops to come to the scene. Because what else can I possibly do?

Seemingly out of nowhere a man that tells me he is the father of the bicyclist shows up and starts to question me about what happened.
As I told him the boy on the bicycle was riding in the wrong place and without lights, he gets extremely angry. How dare I blame his son, the victim, of being responsible for getting run over by an HGV.

I told him that it really is what happened and that I already gave a statement to the police.

Apparently hearing the truth about the stupidity of your child is a reason to threaten the people who were traumatized by having to witness the entire incident to begin with.

As my girlfriend walks back to the car to get away from the irate fuckwit, he grabs her spastic arm and starts a rant about how he just knows the she got that from a traffic accident.

Great, now my girlfriend has bruises up and down half her arm. Some stupid kid is in hospital after riding his bicycle under an HGV, and his dad is in jail on assault charges.
I wonder how the mother is going to react when later this week they'll get a court summons, because we're suing them for compensation for the bodily harm inflicted by the father.

People are stupid.

On the bright side it seems that tree of stupid just got uprooted

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Uthor posted:

What's the maneuver called when you lose control like that? On a motorcycle it's a "tank slapper", but don't know what to call it when a four-wheeled vehicle does it.

The 'Scandinavian dick'?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ozz81 posted:

This happened on the road in front of my apartments yesterday - I was in a left turn lane, saw an opening in traffic just as the light turned yellow, and some dick in a Focus decided to hammer his gas to try to beat the light. Guess he had a change of heart when he realized I was in mid-turn and wasn't going to stop on account of him being an rear end in a top hat and he slammed his brakes, skidding a couple feet. gently caress that guy and everyone like him.

You know you're probably (And I only say that because I don't know all the facts, but based on what you say) at fault if he hits you, right?
You're turning across an intersection, you have to yield. This "left turn gets to go at the yellow" thing is courtesy but not law. If he entered on the yellow, you're probably boned.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

At least in Ontario, where I learned to drive, the right of way goes like this:

- Light turns green
- One left-turning person per left-turning lane per direction may cross the stop line and "claim" the intersection; they yield to oncoming traffic
- Because the turner(s) entered the intersection when the light was green, they have right of way over the cars on the cross streets and are legally allowed to continue through even if the light turns red
- Technically, oncoming straight-through drivers are supposed to stop when the light turns amber, giving the one turner per lane enough time to clear out. But obviously no one ever does this.
- If a second left-turning driver in a given lane enters the intersection before the first one claiming the intersection has cleared it, they're committing a traffic violation. No one cares about this either.

So in Ontario, if there was video footage proving exactly what happened, Ozz81 would be in the right because he had claimed the intersection and the other guy accelerated up to an amber light. But it would hinge on being able to demonstrate that the other guy accelerated to beat the light. If he was just cruising straight through, they could argue that he wasn't able to safely stop for the amber light and then Ozz81 would have to give way. However, everyone on the cross streets would have to wait for the intersection to clear (Ozz81 to leave) so in the end it would all work out.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 13, 2016

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Deeters posted:

I've gotten to this point recently too. It's like I sense that someone is about to do something stupid, so I back off or give them room, and when they do their stupid thing, I'm already safe. Then I just say "dumbass", and go on with my drive. It's actually really nice to not get super stressed over every time someone drives like poo poo.

Same here, man. I used to get stressed and mad, but it did gently caress-all to help . I eventually realized this and chilled out, makes driving a lot nicer. Became a safer driver too, because I took a rational look at what I was doing in response to the people around me and saw how anger made me do reckless poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

- If a second left-turning driver in a given lane enters the intersection before the first one claiming the intersection has cleared it, they're committing a traffic violation. No one cares about this either.

In the Chicago area, no one cares about the third fourth or fifth car either. On bad days six people might cram their way through a left turn.

Well except me, I care. I just sit there gripping my wheel a little tighter and wish all of humanity would get obliterated by an asteroid.