Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just me, or is the scion ascendant specialization a bit less varied then it gave the impression of at release?

Besides Hierophant and Chieftain for totem builds, the perks seem to be ranked strongest to weakest as
Deadeye > Berserker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

All the other class perks seem to be very underwhelming in their bonuses compared to the craziness of deadeye and the okay stat boosts and 1.5% leech of berserk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And on another note, is anyone else getting crashes where the error message will be something along the lines of art/textures/cadiro out of memory?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, the only builds I have even considered Scion for either really want that 1.5% global leech, or are projectile builds. The Heirophant +1 totem in helm is neat but means no 5 or 6link which is pretty rough unless you use the helm totem just as a support totem. Most of them are either too weak or so specialized that you'd be better off going as the real ascendancy class that does that thing. +2 skill points and +80 stats is nice, but the pathing nodes of the other classes are very strong also so it's a trade-off.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And on another note, is anyone else getting crashes where the error message will be something along the lines of art/textures/cadiro out of memory?

Yea this happens every so often to most people, it's something GGG is working on fixing.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 11, 2016

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

whypick1 posted:

Normal is a cakewalk (obviously) and necromancer builds take a while before they really get going. Are you focusing on zombies, spectres, skeletons or raging spirits?

Well, I have 3 minion summoning gems that I've acquired. One does zombies, one does skeletons, and one animates weapons from the ground (I'm assuming the minion passives apply to the animated weapons too).

I'm sort of working towards the big node that gives an extra spectre, but I haven't found a gem that lets me summon even one spectre yet.

I seldom use the skeletons, usually only if things get really hairy. Mostly I just run around with my posse of 5 zombies--I support them with extra lightning damage and extra speed--and ice pulse stuff to help the zombies out.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Raise Spectre requires level 28 and is a quest reward for Witch in the middle of Act 3.

Zombies and Specrtes very much scale with gem level, I think mid-cruel is when they really start kicking rear end (with the right passives/support gems, of course).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Budgie posted:

Oh, and the new unique: Zerphi's last breath. This heals you for 800% of your spells' mana cost and I've used it on 2 characters from the moment I could equip it up to like level 65. If you can balance your mana regen it basically makes you unkillable while you cast as the pot lasts for 10 seconds. It's hard as a caster to just sit tight and keep casting though, feels counter-intuitive.
EDIT: they made it much easier to see if it has charges in today's patch too, hooray!
i got one of these last night. too bad it will be of minimal use to my blood magic totem character. looks like its worth about 1c so i could try to sell it but theres a ton of them listed on the trade site. ill probably just keep it for alt leveling

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

FYI Animate Weapon is horrifically overpowered and has likely always been way, way more powerful than SRS and Spectres, even at the times SRS/Spectres were considered by far the best build and people were making a big deal about their SRS doing over 2.5 million DPS on Atziri.

The problem is you have to play Animate Weapon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cinara posted:

The Heirophant +1 totem in helm is neat but means no 5 or 6link which is pretty rough unless you use the helm totem just as a support totem.

Berserker/Heirophant Ancestor totems. There really aren't a lot of good links for that and the extra muscle is nice without having to take ancestral bond.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Sell your exalt when they cap out at 80-85c per. Should happen in a few weeks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Ultima66 posted:

FYI Animate Weapon is horrifically overpowered and has likely always been way, way more powerful than SRS and Spectres, even at the times SRS/Spectres were considered by far the best build and people were making a big deal about their SRS doing over 2.5 million DPS on Atziri.

The problem is you have to play Animate Weapon.

I looked into this and yes, it checks out

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Skeletons are garbage which makes me mad. They are basically worse than SRS in every way. I'm fine with them not being fast but the upper cap on them should be higher, the mana cost should be lower, and maybe the number of skeletons per cast should be raised with gem levels.

They do OK damage and scale exceptionally well with flat auras (and probably clayshaper!), but it just feels like such poo poo trying to do them because every time you move it takes you a ton of time to summon your skeletal army and it costs like loving 150 mana per cast.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Animate weapon is a lot more tolerable if you make an AHK script to hold down shift+alt (pickup key) and hit your animate weapon button. I E-mailed GGG if this was kosher and they said it was OK.

Me posted:

Here is my question: Would binding a key to hold both alt and shift while using my animate weapon skill be against the TOS?

I would still basically be sending one command to the server - to cast animate weapon on the targeted loot on the ground, but it requires multiple key inputs to execute the command. I would still need to manually move my mouse over the weapon before hitting the button.

support@grindinggear.com posted:

Thank you for contacting support with this concern. We can confirm that this would be a completely acceptable macro in line with our Terms of Use.

For some reason animate weapon can target poo poo all the way across the screen but if you try to use it on something farther than some arbitrary distance, your character will move unless you hold shift (and alt due to alt pickup).

Sgt. Slaughter
Sep 3, 2008
Hello friends,

Is Skyblazer still the right guy to PM to get set up with a guild invite?

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Grizlor posted:

Animate weapon is a lot more tolerable if you make an AHK script to hold down shift+alt (pickup key) and hit your animate weapon button. I E-mailed GGG if this was kosher and they said it was OK.

For some reason animate weapon can target poo poo all the way across the screen but if you try to use it on something farther than some arbitrary distance, your character will move unless you hold shift (and alt due to alt pickup).

I'm now tempted to make an Animate Weapon character. Give me something to do with all the whites and blues that drop.

How horrible is this skill tree? Can it be tweaked into something useable, or is it utter crap?

Shinino Kage fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 12, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I thought animate weapon was limited to one, seeing a video of 50 of them crowd around a boss is hilarious.

In other news Path of exile hit 13 million users, how many are secondary or goldspam accounts? who knows.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11603504

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 12, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sgt. Slaughter posted:

Hello friends,

Lmao

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Sgt. Slaughter posted:

Hello friends,

Just go on IRC or post your IGN here.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

y

Sgt. Slaughter posted:

Hello friends,

only pm him and do it multiple times.

Sgt. Slaughter
Sep 3, 2008

Dont pm me asking for a guild invite wow i am a fool

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pm him if you want who cares

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It seems like everyone is joking about Animate Weapon being awful--so what makes it so bad? I mapped it to a button on my mouse, so it's not that painful to just hover over and click the button to animate something.

The bummer is, you can't animate unidentified items--so you can only do it on the white weapons easily. Unless you want to identify junk on the ground, then animate it, which is way too time consuming.

Are zombies the only minion that stays around until it dies? It's annoying to have to keep summoning stuff every minute, like with the skeletons.

Also, I think I have all of the major minion nodes now--at least the ones I could find. Should I just focus on health and mana now?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are zombies the only minion that stays around until it dies? It's annoying to have to keep summoning stuff every minute, like with the skeletons.

Specters, Zombies, and Guardians.

Specters are just ghosts of enemies and were the staple summoner build prior to SRS. Generally you get something with a good projectile and add LMP or GMP; I think Stygian Revenants are the standard choice still, but there's several good options.
Guardians are really weird, you make a ghost out of player equipment which means they're incredibly expensive to build around, but you can make something like a nigh-indestructible Facebreaker Guardian who deals something like 15k damage a punch. They might be indirectly buffed by the enchantment system, now.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Just realized I forgot to link the skill tree.

So this is for Animate Weapon as main skill, playing as Witch/Necromancer.

Working on skills list now.

http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill...vJF99f56P4K_o8=

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

It seems like everyone is joking about Animate Weapon being awful--so what makes it so bad?

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15vSggNYr1o

Imagine how fun it must be to stop in the middle of a boss fight and open your inventory and drag a bunch of poo poo to throw it on the ground to then cast Animate Weapon on.

On a different note what can I do with this Romira's Banquet I found?

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
PM me if you want in. I can't invite, I just don't have many friends.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
I think a COC or COMK animate weaopin build would be cool but the problem is always getting it started.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

What does AW do if it runs out of weapons, anyway? Seems like you could get pretty hosed if you're out of portals.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Run srs as backup

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Sgt. Slaughter posted:

Hello friends,

post your character name here, or message me on IRC, and I will get you an invite. I was gonna make fun of you, but everyone else did that for me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Katasi posted:

post your character name here, or message me on IRC, and I will get you an invite. I was gonna make fun of you, but everyone else did that for me.

he messaged me on irc while everyone was mocking him and i sent an invite

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think ... I think it is time to make a Dominating Blow witch. Yes. e: Does Minion Instability work with Necromancer/Beacon of Corruption (minions explode for chaos damage on death)?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 12, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Finally getting around to making a blade vortex necromancer, a few leagues ago I ran something very similar with a block max incinerator with cybils, Got a couple questions, how many shield block % nodes am I going to need to max block, is the rathspite shield and lapis amulet unique necessary with bone offering and whats the ideal 6 link for blade vortex?

BV > Echo > Fast cast > controlled destruction > increased duration > increased AOE?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is a witch crit EK still viable? I was rocking one of those about a year ago so thought I might get back into it with the expansion.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Finally getting around to making a blade vortex necromancer, a few leagues ago I ran something very similar with a block max incinerator with cybils, Got a couple questions, how many shield block % nodes am I going to need to max block, is the rathspite shield and lapis amulet unique necessary with bone offering and whats the ideal 6 link for blade vortex?

BV > Echo > Fast cast > controlled destruction > increased duration > increased AOE?

L22 Bone Offering (if you selfcast on a +2 minions helm) is 36/35 block/spellblock.

Rathpith is definitely an option, but the downside is that it has less base block than other shields. Rathpith (25) + Bone Offering (36) + Tempest Shield (3) is 64, meaning you need another 11 block to cap. I'm currently running a Thousand Teeth Temu, which lets me cap block with zero nodes (and 4 +1 block jewels). Though I might run a Rathpith's once I'm rich enough, grab the Templar and Shadow block nodes + 2x +1 block jewels, for 75/65 block.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Tai posted:

Is a witch crit EK still viable? I was rocking one of those about a year ago so thought I might get back into it with the expansion.

A fairly popular poe streamer named Ghudda has done crit EK for the last three leagues. Check out his profile here. He usually focuses on abusing flask uptime to keep very high defenses, he starts each league using a tabula and eventually transitions into a low life version.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So I have 26 skill points free and enough respec points to clear out what I've already spent on my Scion sparker. My original plan was to go crit, but I realized that I hate the EB/MoM/ZO trifecta so now I'm trying to go elsewhere. Would an IW-based sparker with elemental overload work as well as I'm thinking?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Vasudus posted:

So I have 26 skill points free and enough respec points to clear out what I've already spent on my Scion sparker. My original plan was to go crit, but I realized that I hate the EB/MoM/ZO trifecta so now I'm trying to go elsewhere. Would an IW-based sparker with elemental overload work as well as I'm thinking?

I used to hate EB/Mom/ZO too but the stone golem giving you essentially +90 free mana regen feels so much better that I don't have any problems with it anymore. Link the golem with CWDT and you're set.

Karnivool
May 28, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

L22 Bone Offering (if you selfcast on a +2 minions helm) is 36/35 block/spellblock.

Rathpith is definitely an option, but the downside is that it has less base block than other shields. Rathpith (25) + Bone Offering (36) + Tempest Shield (3) is 64, meaning you need another 11 block to cap. I'm currently running a Thousand Teeth Temu, which lets me cap block with zero nodes (and 4 +1 block jewels). Though I might run a Rathpith's once I'm rich enough, grab the Templar and Shadow block nodes + 2x +1 block jewels, for 75/65 block.

Any chance you could post your skill tree?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Karnivool posted:

Any chance you could post your skill tree?

Gear and passives

Working on finishing out Templar area (I prioritised Shadow earlier because I needed dex on gear).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I finally started playing my aborted inquisitor again, got a light coil from a pubbie cardio last night, and... This build is totally coming together. Most of my other gear is still poo poo, I'm running what may as well be a blue spell damage dagger and loving wrecking things with resistance-ignoring storm call crits after finally doing my cruel lab. I'll get an extra 10% cast speed and 40% inc spell dmg when I finally get around to merc, as the dagger lets me fit in a whirling blades-fast attacks-fortify to trigger that ascendancy node.

Defense-wise, I've got the coil now, constant fortify, easy source of endurance charges through curse on hit/warlords mark, arctic armour, and EB/MoM/ZO plus stone golem for ~100+ es regen per second constant, and even with my poo poo hybrid gear I'm still at 4k hp, 1.2k ES at 65 or so.

Other than that I'm running wrath, herald of thunder, a 4L storm call with less dur, echo, increased crits in a geofri's hat. Orb of storms plus pcoc is like instant max power charges, which bumps my spell crit to about 75% with a 375 multi. I can pick up two or three more power charges quite easily as well as more crit multi on tree. I haven't bothered mathing anything out, but I dumped a full stack of storm calls into an ele reflect rare and barely took any damage. I plowed through an unid t7 at 65 last night, and I imagine it'll only get better from here. Call of the brotherhood would be great, but I blew a lot of my currency on other poo poo, and then tipped the pubbie with the light coil way more than I should have but oh well. Anyway, poo poo is fun and good. Also a nice change of pace from crit EQ.

• Locked thread