Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Anybody have a cacnea/cacturne with it's hidden ability? I'm trying to breed one in a nest ball and I honestly have no idea how I'm going to find one outside of of friend safari.

I just started breeding them the other day. I can send one your way, but it will be in a dream ball.

On the subject of dream ball cacti, does anyone happen to have a female Maractus in a dream ball? I've been working on a double cactus team and figured my cacti should be in matching pink balls. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

everythingWasBees posted:

I am pretty alright with IVs because breeding Pokemon and trying to find the ideal one is actually kind of a enjoyable experience for me but gently caress having to do the same for legendaries. That they're such a staple part of teams now kinda killed my interest in competitive play.

I don't use a single legendary on any of my teams and I do fine in competitive battles. If you don't want to use legendaries, don't.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I keep hearing about the rerelease of the Pokemon's and got such a chubby for it I'm gonna get a 3ds. Question is though, should I just get Pokemon Red or a newer Pokemon? I haven't played any since Red/Blue/Yellow. I want color and better graphics..but the nostalgia..

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Schroeder91 posted:

I keep hearing about the rerelease of the Pokemon's and got such a chubby for it I'm gonna get a 3ds. Question is though, should I just get Pokemon Red or a newer Pokemon? I haven't played any since Red/Blue/Yellow. I want color and better graphics..but the nostalgia..

X/Y were made for you. Plenty of old pokemon available and you even get a gen1 starter shortly into the game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Schroeder91 posted:

Dude, you didn't buy a 3DS to play Pokemon Red. Go buy XY. Thank me, later.

And you can still play Pokemon Red to see how badly it compares two months from now.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Alright. I just saw the same question on Reddit and the overall opinion is X/Y. Maybe I won't get the old games so I can preserve my memories from being a kid.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The old game boy games are rough these days, but I've still had plenty of fun playing Yellow on my 3DS.

Except when some rear end in a top hat uses Wrap :argh:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I like the old games.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't use a single legendary on any of my teams and I do fine in competitive battles. If you don't want to use legendaries, don't.

Isn't the current format for VGC pretty reliant on them though?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Get the old games and then get Sun or Moon when they come out and transfer the Pokemon from the old games to that.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

mabels big day posted:

I like the old games.

Same, they're a lot of fun and since I've played every generation pretty frequently, it's pretty easy to just slip into their mechanics and have a good time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I don't know. I don't actually do VGC. I'm only just learning how to play Doubles. I mostly do the contests they run on the Global Link or just fight randos on the PSS.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If by "pretty reliant on them" you mean if you don't have at least one of Kyogre, Groudon or Rayquaza you will basically instantly lose to everyone then yes.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Jelly Omelettle posted:

I just started breeding them the other day. I can send one your way, but it will be in a dream ball.

On the subject of dream ball cacti, does anyone happen to have a female Maractus in a dream ball? I've been working on a double cactus team and figured my cacti should be in matching pink balls. :3:

Eh, that'll do just fine. My IGN is Soledad and my FC is: 3582-9673-0339 lemmie know yours when you get the chance. I don't have a maractus but if there's anything else you need I 'll see what i can rustle up. thanks in advance. :)

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Eh, that'll do just fine. My IGN is Soledad and my FC is: 3582-9673-0339 lemmie know yours when you get the chance. I don't have a maractus but if there's anything else you need I 'll see what i can rustle up. thanks in advance. :)

FC is 2878-9758-7818 IGN is Jelly.

I'm not looking for anything in particular right now, but I'll gladly take any breeding rejects or female mons in dream balls if you have any. I'll be online for a bit too trade. You're welcome :)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Jelly Omelettle posted:

FC is 2878-9758-7818 IGN is Jelly.

I'm not looking for anything in particular right now, but I'll gladly take any breeding rejects or female mons in dream balls if you have any. I'll be online for a bit too trade. You're welcome :)

Thank you! I really appreciate it.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Dude, you didn't buy a 3DS to play Pokemon Red. Go buy XY. Thank me, later.

And you can still play Pokemon Red to see how badly it compares two months from now.

Actually I went from X straight to Red. It's definitely more grindy and the UI is a little tedious but I'm having fun. I wouldn't buy a 3DS to play Red though yeah.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

WrightOfWay posted:

If by "pretty reliant on them" you mean if you don't have at least one of Kyogre, Groudon or Rayquaza you will basically instantly lose to everyone then yes.

Ugh. That is incredibly disappointing. I've never liked using legendaries. I don't even like them in general, with scant few exceptions. If I can't breed it, I don't wanna use it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Ugh. That is incredibly disappointing. I've never liked using legendaries. I don't even like them in general, with scant few exceptions. If I can't breed it, I don't wanna use it.

And at the higher tournament levels, you can be assured that the top players totally legitimately obtained all those shiny 6IV Groudons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Bible posted:

And at the higher tournament levels, you can be assured that the top players totally legitimately obtained all those shiny 6IV Groudons.

Also Xerneas and Landorus.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Man using legendaries is such a bummer....I like the idea of special pokemon but I too do not use them. I dunno how they're not banned in competitive play, it really narrows the field of legitimate party members.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

legendaries were just unbanned for vgc2016 after being banned for like five years. it's mostly groudon-centric with megamence/smeargle/tailwind talonflame support. i did like this one guy's team of mega-rayquaza + ho-oh + togekiss core with some other monsters including i think lapras ??

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Man using legendaries is such a bummer....I like the idea of special pokemon but I too do not use them. I dunno how they're not banned in competitive play, it really narrows the field of legitimate party members.

Some legendaries are competitive garbage, so a blanket ban would just be restrictive. No one is going to sweep tournaments with an Articuno. Also, there are quite a few mega evolutions so OP that they give legendaries a run for their money.

That being said, getting a good competitive legendary is a RNG nightmare and it's horseshit that anyone should have to worry about save scumming for nature AND IVs in 20 loving 16.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Doesn't Synchronize work on legendaries? So you should only have to save scum for IVs.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Haha Christ, Tate and Liza are the rear end-crappiest gym leaders in the whole series, I swear. I just beat them with a 10-underleveled Milotic and a lv 6 Minun. Helping Hand and Surf, and there's your gym badge, have a good day.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Idk why it's hard to just say "cover legendaries and event legendaries and also Mewtwo are banned, but other legendaries are fine" and call it a day.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
On a separate but related note, when people get a shiny legendary without hacking, are they seriously just reloading hundreds of times?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mabels big day posted:

Idk why it's hard to just say "cover legendaries and event legendaries and also Mewtwo are banned, but other legendaries are fine" and call it a day.

That's literally usually how Nintendo rolls.

Its just this season of VGC they decided to go real stupid and now literally every team is

Groudon-P, Xerneas, Landorus-T, Khaghaskan-M, who loving cares

gently caress Primals so hard btw. They are the stupidest thing and the fact they don't take up your Mega slot is just... gently caress.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

On a separate but related note, when people get a shiny legendary without hacking, are they seriously just reloading hundreds of times?

That or getting extraordinarily lucky, yes

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO4J5BlwJ58

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Diet Poison posted:

Haha Christ, Tate and Liza are the rear end-crappiest gym leaders in the whole series, I swear. I just beat them with a 10-underleveled Milotic and a lv 6 Minun. Helping Hand and Surf, and there's your gym badge, have a good day.

Yeah that gym is a joke. My first play through I rolled them up with swampert. At least they're no Falkner. Now there's a lovely gym leader.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

They made them harder in Emerald but then gave them their Ruby/Sapphire team in ORAS for some reason

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

majormonotone posted:

They made them harder in Emerald but then gave them their Ruby/Sapphire team in ORAS for some reason

Same reason Steven is the Champion and you don't fight Rayquaza during the story.

Its a Ruby/Sapphire remake. Not an Emerald remake.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Zore posted:

Same reason Steven is the Champion and you don't fight Rayquaza during the story.

Its a Ruby/Sapphire remake. Not an Emerald remake.

By that logic Eusine shouldn't have been in HeartGold and SoulSilver, but he's there anyway

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Zore posted:

Also Xerneas and Landorus.

Xerneas was shiny, 6 IV, and perfectly natured when I caught it. What luck!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

majormonotone posted:

By that logic Eusine shouldn't have been in HeartGold and SoulSilver, but he's there anyway

But he's so *dreamy*!

He was probably included because he was a popular character (I don't remember him doing much in the story itself, but he tends to come up a lot in fan art).

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

The Bible posted:

Xerneas was shiny, 6 IV, and perfectly natured when I caught it. What luck!

I would honestly think that I had spent all the luck I would ever have and spend the rest of my life afraid of getting hit by a falling satellite.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I like the old games.

Pokemon started being good in gen 4 and the ones before that are boring af

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Pokemon started being good in gen 4 and the ones before that are boring af

I like the old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU