Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Strange Quark posted:

I miss the old games, like gen 4.

If the gen 4 games had the battle speed of the gen 5 games, I'd be replaying them all the time. As it stands, their slowness is what stops me every time I get a little bit tempted. Even the routes with deep snow and swamps are more tolerable to me than gen 4's molasses-rear end battle speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

qnqnx posted:

Pokemon started being good in gen 4 and the ones before that are boring af

you got a problem with hp ice raikou buster??

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

qnqnx posted:

Said someone stupid.

Bam! What a burn.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

qnqnx posted:

The physical/special split is one of the greatest additions to the game, and my only regret about it is that so many pokemon from the earlier gens got shafted by having their stats/movesets determined before its existence. I guess it's balanced out by the ones that got a new lease on life because of it. (Hello Azumarill and Gyarados!)

Second best is unlimited TMs.

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice

kirbyabc posted:

I can help if you still need one

0490 8248 4605

I will totally take you up on that Diancie offer, I just don't get home til 10/9 e/cst tomorrow. I can PM if needed, otherwise if you're online in game I'll just send a message

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

so did he actually catch it or what

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Looper posted:

so did he actually catch it or what

I was hoping so hard that he accidentally OHKO'd it and would start jamming the Gameboy up his rear end like that one WOW kid

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

How Ingratiating! posted:

If the gen 4 games had the battle speed of the gen 5 games, I'd be replaying them all the time. As it stands, their slowness is what stops me every time I get a little bit tempted. Even the routes with deep snow and swamps are more tolerable to me than gen 4's molasses-rear end battle speed.

Controversial opinion, the deep snow ruled.

I liked the hidden items gimmick in it, since it felt like you were really exploring the area.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Schroeder91 posted:

Alright. I just saw the same question on Reddit and the overall opinion is X/Y. Maybe I won't get the old games so I can preserve my memories from being a kid.

Replay Red/Blue. The nostalgia is real. I just evolved my Pikachu into a Raichu in red, and it's like being reunited with an old friend. Still a lot of fun too

X/Y is great though. Pokemon will always be fun besides those few years where you think you've outgrown it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

majormonotone posted:

By that logic Eusine shouldn't have been in HeartGold and SoulSilver, but he's there anyway

HGSS is actually more of a Crystal remake. As it should be; no reason to ignore the third version's improvements. They dropped the ball hard with ORAS in that regard.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

And then he found out that it had poo poo IV's

Safari Zone decide to be nice to me this run through of Yellow. I caught the first Chansey I saw and Kangaskhan and Scyther were caught without me having to throw a rock. Tauros seems to be the only one that doesn't like the one two method. Tangela and Pinsir I'm just going to trade over from Blue since they are too rare to find.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Jarogue posted:

And then he found out that it had poo poo IV's

Rapidash is trash competitively anyway. One of the best shinies in the game though, so at least it has decorative value.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Hey I keep forgetting to ask this so I should do it now: what makes Landorus-t so good that everyone literally can't go without it?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mycot posted:

Hey I keep forgetting to ask this so I should do it now: what makes Landorus-t so good that everyone literally can't go without it?

Great typing, perfect movepool, amazing stats that let it run sets ranging from tank to support to set-up sweeper, loving intimidate

If your team has an open slot you can probably shove a lando-t into it and improve it dramatically

There might be someone out there that genuinely likes lando-t

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I would honestly think that I had spent all the luck I would ever have and spend the rest of my life afraid of getting hit by a falling satellite.

getting hit by a satellite would still require a lot of luck, you should be more worried of dying from cancer or something equally common

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

qnqnx posted:

yeah

(i'm still gonna play yellow again, nostalgia is a hell of a drug...)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm landorus t's stupid log hair and weird wood tail and cool cloud paws

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah

(i'm still gonna play yellow again, nostalgia is a hell of a drug...)

It's fine. Gen 1 had the best Pokemon, after all.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've gone my whole life thinking that this sprite had small beady eyes, and the darker shading on the head was like the thing's shoulders or a darker part of the face or something. So many years of my life, a lie.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

That's okay. I thought Scientist and Cue Back had huge junk because of their sprites.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Jarogue posted:

Tangela and Pinsir I'm just going to trade over from Blue since they are too rare to find.
If I recall correctly, you can find Tangelas in the grass patch south of Pallet Town. You need to surf to get there, of course.

VVV oh, dang :(

Pentaro fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 12, 2016

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Not in Yellow. It can only be found in the Safari Zone where it only has a 4% chance to appear, has a catch rate of 45 and if you throw a rock at it, it has like an 80% chance to flee. And don't even bother throwing a rock at Tauros either, cause then it's guaranteed to flee.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

How Ingratiating! posted:

This.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If Nintendo could get GBA emulation working well on New 3ds and could get Gen 3 games working with the bank, how many people here would buy them again?

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Just performed the Mew glitch (twice because I love Mew and I'm greedy) for the first time ever.

God I forgot how weird Mew's backsprite was :(

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rose Spirit posted:

Just think of it as Ms. Mowz from Paper Mario

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Spacebump posted:

If Nintendo could get GBA emulation working well on New 3ds and could get Gen 3 games working with the bank, how many people here would buy them again?

i never want to play gen3 again

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Looper posted:

i never want to play gen3 again

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Spacebump posted:

I would buy FRLG

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Spacebump posted:

There is already game boy advance support on 3DS systems. If you have the ambassador thingy you can download a bunch of GBA games.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rose Spirit posted:

Just performed the Mew glitch (twice because I love Mew and I'm greedy) for the first time ever.

i've always felt that rhyhorn was pretty low on the backsprite totem for a while

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

oddium posted:

i've always felt that rhyhorn was pretty low on the backsprite totem for a while

He looks like a Cloyster in the first one

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

that ivy guy posted:

There is already game boy advance support on 3DS systems. If you have the ambassador thingy you can download a bunch of GBA games.

that isn't proper gba emulation, that's janky jury-rigged pseudo emulation of the ds side of the 3ds

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Platinum is a massive improvement over DP, being an actually playable and fun game instead of a boring slog with an incredibly lovely Pokemon distribution that nearly made me leave Pokemon entirely. It isn't without its flaws, but it's a lot more fun than what came before it...which is far from hard, mind you.

It just isn't good enough to save Gen IV in my opinion. Emerald was my favourite until B/W came out, so Gen IV stands at a weird place where I really like everything that surrounds it so it looks even worse in comparison. It doesn't help that Fire is my favourite type (hint: half my name comes from that) and I hated every Fire type Sinnoh had...not like it mattered since you couldn't get any in DP beyond the terrible Naruto monkey and Ponyta.

Woah, I didn't realize Platinum changed that much stuff. I barely played D/P, and didn't really get excited until B/W. I'll have to go check that out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

platinum was very good. I still wish it had more fire types, but I'd have probably used houndoom anyway

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

infernape is like really specifically sun wukong

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

which makes it a dragon ball monkey not a naruto monkey

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dork.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's almost as if Japanese media draw upon the same cultural and mythological influences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Infernape is cool as poo poo.

• Locked thread