Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
does anyone know when sardine season is? i live in northern europe if it helps

wanna bread and fry some fresh 'dines and dip them in poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
Brunswick wild caught 'dines in "Louisiana Hot Sauce" on toast with xtrahot cayenne hot sauce on toast for breakfast.
Hi dads, I'm dad

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

DiggityDoink posted:

I have a whole pile of chips from the electric smoker I got for x-mas. Thanks for the good idea though.

What's some good dad ideas for the smoker btw? I've smoked salmon and ribs a bunch of times and if I could find whole 'dines I'd obviously do that.

Beef ribs, pork shoulders/butts, blue fish, trout, any flesh, fish or fowl really. But don't forget to smoke peppers and cumin seeds.

They say cedar is too strong a flavor for fish but it's my favorite with fish, pecan is good for peppers and things you want to taste Mexican.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 12, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Pork and beef work best with smokers because slow cooking liquifies the tough fat and connective tissues.

But yeah, like ^^ said, everythng tastes great smoky and slow cooked

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Switched to Beach Cliff in Louisiana Hot Sauce for this week (they're okay 'dines, and only like a dollar for the daily stash) and the sauce they use is tough to pinpoint. It's DEFINITELY not an LA-style red vinegar weak rear end sauce, it's got a little kick but still no hotter than a Sriracha. I dunno it's weird, but good I approve

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Get a little bag of wood chips and soak them and toss them on the grill right before you cook on there brand new charcoal buddy. They sell em right there next to the charcoal.

I like apple wood usually

Soaking wood chips so that they smolder instead of burn and produce more smoke is a myth. It just makes them take a tiny bit longer to start smoking, and all of the stuff that looks like extra smoke is actually steam.

Also, if you put a baking dish into a charcoal grill it's basically an outdoor oven so you can have fisherman's eggs during the summer when it's too hot to use the regular oven.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can a charcoal grill even get to 500deg?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Soaking wood chips so that they smolder instead of burn and produce more smoke is a myth. It just makes them take a tiny bit longer to start smoking, and all of the stuff that looks like extra smoke is actually steam.

Also, if you put a baking dish into a charcoal grill it's basically an outdoor oven so you can have fisherman's eggs during the summer when it's too hot to use the regular oven.

You don't do it for more smoke you do it so the chips don't burst into flames and gently caress everything up.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just throw the chips straight onto the coals right before I start cooking it's always been fine. Either way, the reason soaking doesn't do much of anything is that wood doesn't absorb a meaningful amount of water. If it did, wooden boats would soak up water and sink.

A charcoal grill can hit 500 F pretty easily, hell with lump charcoal it's supposedly possible to break 1000.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 12, 2016

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I went to the market today. Fishmonger was out of sardines - "Not before april", she said -so I bought half a pound of smelts for about 4$. Hot drat do smelts fry up nice. just put em in breadcrumb or flour and pan fry em real fast in a heavy cast iron pan and, well, speaks for itself, don't it?

edit: afore anyone says anything: my kitchen is a horrible mess because of reasons, among which poverty ranks highly.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like your disease ridden and filth encrusted bargain stove, and your panfish

raton fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 12, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

withak posted:

Shouldn't be an issue at all

I imagine you plan to use a disposable foil pan which means less residual heat so you'll have to kind of do everything by eye a little more, plus there will be sone temp irregularities but whatever

Oh btw goons get them froglegs and put lemon juice and salt and p on them and grill them and they're real fukken nice

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

withak posted:

You're doing it wrong if your charcoal grill cant get to 500. I got mine to at least 600 earlier and it didn't stay closed long enough to keep going. 500 is what I expect out of a lovely gas grill.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

AEMINAL posted:

does anyone know when sardine season is? i live in northern europe if it helps

wanna bread and fry some fresh 'dines and dip them in poo poo.

Armchair Scientist Moment Here (Probably Totally Wrong)

Dines being a feeder fish, probably show up around March-May for northern climates. They probably hang out for 3 or so months before loving off towards the southern side.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Those old stoves with the control knobs at the very back are pretty great. Many childhood memories of my short grandmother having to reach over the running burners to access the controls and setting her sleeves on fire. Happened like once a month.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Lol short people

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

If it did, wooden boats would soak up water and sink.

that's a pretty poo poo analogy and makes me question anything else you might say on the grounds that I don't trust your reasoning

Ceciltron posted:

edit: afore anyone says anything: my kitchen is a horrible mess because of reasons, among which poverty ranks highly.

hi, welcome to not gws, no one gives a gently caress

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

it's not an analogy, wooden boats are literally made of wood

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

it's not an analogy, wooden boats are literally made of wood

you're drawing a comparison between boats and wood chips. that is an analogy and it is a faulty one.

since you insist on pressing the issue instead of stepping back and reflecting on why you're wrong. wood boats are made from treated wood, or really really resinous wood. wood chips for smoking are not made from treated wood.

go be wrong in the mom food thread, that's what it's there for

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

take a block of hickory meant for smoking use and weigh it

submerge that block of wood in water for 24 hours then shake the water off and weigh it again

oh poo poo it didn't fill up with water, turns out wood is made of wood

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
so how much did you over cook your broccoli today, mrs. canary?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i didn't, i soaked my pan in water before i used it so the broccoli wouldn't burn

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

take a block of hickory meant for smoking use and weigh it

submerge that block of wood in water for 24 hours then shake the water off and weigh it again

http://www.uaiasi.ro/CERCET_AGROMOLD/CA2-08-01.pdf

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

poo poo. Beaten by actual evidence.

I really haven't ever had problems with my wood chips just bursting into flames, though.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Hey Sheep, I just found a problem with your 500 deg recipe. My oven takes forever to get to temperature and while i'm waiting, my cattes are trying to eat the dine mixture.

I had planned on being a bro and hooking up the cattes with some of the ends of my meal but they're already horking at it and that poo poo isn't cool.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

DiggityDoink posted:

Hey Sheep, I just found a problem with your 500 deg recipe. My oven takes forever to get to temperature and while i'm waiting, my cattes are trying to eat the dine mixture.

I had planned on being a bro and hooking up the cattes with some of the ends of my meal but they're already horking at it and that poo poo isn't cool.

That's why God invented bathrooms as temporary cat storage.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The original fisherman's eggs called for pre-cooking the sardines & aromatics before adding the eggs, so I just out them in the oven while it preheats then add the eggs when the oven hit 500.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

oh poo poo paper towels fill up with water, turns out things made out of wood are made out of wood.

bad analogy, composition fallacy, factually incorrect. are you a republican in addition to being a mom?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

DiggityDoink posted:

Armchair Scientist Moment Here (Probably Totally Wrong)

Dines being a feeder fish, probably show up around March-May for northern climates. They probably hang out for 3 or so months before loving off towards the southern side.

thank you

will be on the lookout

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Sizone posted:

oh poo poo paper towels fill up with water, turns out things made out of wood are made out of wood.

bad analogy, composition fallacy, factually incorrect. are you a republican in addition to being a mom?

See this is why I'm a kipper man. You sardine people are too intense.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DiggityDoink posted:

Did you try looking at them and saying HAHAHA gently caress YOU BITCH YOU AIN'T GETTING poo poo

I mean, you can still give the cat something later but it's always a good time telling a cat no. Not a dog though. It would break their doggy hearts.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry to all of you with slow ovens I had a slow stove once it was terrible

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I live my life a 500 degrees at a time. Nothing else matters: not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their bullshit. For those ten minutes or less, I’m free.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
OP updated Riga Sprats added to pantheon gg Riga Sprats you're great.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
have yet to find sprats anywhere on this island. super pissed about that, I've found basically everything else except, like, jaffa cakes.

send me a case of sprats, trader joe's dijon mustard and jaffa cakes, fuckers

oh, and loquats, I only need a couple then I can grow my own from seed.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Sheep-Goats posted:

OP updated Riga Sprats added to pantheon gg Riga Sprats you're great.

Rigas come in a large discus shaped can so they are the Hungry Man XXL of sardines

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

La Sirena sardines are loving awful. Tomato sauce is bland as gently caress & really detracts from the sardines. I'd use them in fisherman's eggs if I was desperate enough to get my 'dine on. Who knew sardines from Food 4 Less would have crappy sardines?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I found Riga Sprats at the store. Look forward to discovering this fishy delightful.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Epic High Five posted:

Switched to Beach Cliff in Louisiana Hot Sauce for this week (they're okay 'dines, and only like a dollar for the daily stash) and the sauce they use is tough to pinpoint. It's DEFINITELY not an LA-style red vinegar weak rear end sauce, it's got a little kick but still no hotter than a Sriracha. I dunno it's weird, but good I approve

I had an emergency can of these at my desk. Ate em today because I forgot to take my KOs out of my lunchbag and they were super cold. Pretty boring, weak sauce. Big mushy fishes. Doused in sriracha and ate on saltines anyway.

Sizone posted:

hi, welcome to not gws, no one gives a gently caress

my sides, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Android Bicyclist posted:

La Sirena sardines are loving awful. Tomato sauce is bland as gently caress & really detracts from the sardines. I'd use them in fisherman's eggs if I was desperate enough to get my 'dine on. Who knew sardines from Food 4 Less would have crappy sardines?

I had an oval can like that once, not sure if same brand but bigger blander sardines in meh tomato sauce too, I just made some pasta with red sauce from them. Bit of garlic, anchovies paste, parsley, basil, oregano, I'd say it was decent. Wouldn't eat directly from a can but as a real quick dinner option it's passable.