Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Axeman Jim posted:

They have lots of coal, not much oil, and cheap labour, which makes steam very economical compared to the alternatives. Even now the emphasis is on electrification rather than dieselisation because an electric locomotive in a country like China is basically a steam turbine engine with a very elaborate transmission.

Yeah, but what's the over/under on a trainload of Chinese folks starving to death in a tunnel because maintenance de-energized the line and then spent a month thinking about it before they started work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

thebigcow posted:

The Mrs is better during the day if she uses the machine but she always wakes up after 3-4 hours and pulls it off.

Tell me more about your sex life.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Yes, thank you!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Head on at Granger UPRR
http://sweetwaternow.com/breaking-train-wreck-near-tronox/

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
FRA proposed Two Man Crew ruling
http://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/details/L17369

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

It's going to be so much fun watching the railroads cry "but... but... my PTC!" in trying to justify not making this a rule.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
yea drat those corporations trying to justify the multi-billion dollar ptc programs they've had to develop and implement.

i'm agnostic on the subject but its silly to get pissed off at a corporation for wanting some return on their investment. that's kind of how capitalism works.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

yea drat those corporations trying to justify the multi-billion dollar ptc programs they've had to develop and implement.

i'm agnostic on the subject but its silly to get pissed off at a corporation for wanting some return on their investment. that's kind of how capitalism works.

But is PTC about reducing crew size, or is it about enhancing safety on the railroad lines? Disclaimer: IANA railroader.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

But is PTC about reducing crew size, or is it about enhancing safety on the railroad lines? Disclaimer: IANA railroader.

PTC is obviously not about reducing crew size, as it is a government mandate. however, the technology automates some functions that a conductor performs currently on road trains.

in either case, that isn't my point. my point is that its silly to expect a company to invest multi-billions into a project without a return. you could make the argument that they're saving money by reducing the rate of accidents related to excessive speed or failure to properly react to signals. but, that isn't quantifiable until some time has passed.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The PTC mandate wasn't about saving money, it's about preserving the lives of the train crew and those in the communities they roll through. Having less preventable wrecks to clean up and pay for is a side benefit, but it's not the goal. It's the railroads' right to use their investment in PTC to their advantage as much as they can, and I think it would help a lot with network utilization. But running single man crews and using it as a type of pressure relief valve to bang against is dangerous. It would be like automakers petitioning for relaxed crash standards on cars with auto brakes installed.

e: I agree with your point MBN, and I agree it's a ton of money to spend on something that has no clear way of generating profit. My point is, the railroad is an industry that by nature has an extremely high amount of public exposure, and it's the government's angle to protect the public. As draconian as it sounds, it's the government's country and they're letting the railroads operate in it. It's definitely a huge financial pain in the rear end to go above and beyond century-old business practices for public benefit (see: the coal industry) but it's silly to expect the government to care whether your business makes a dollar or a dime while implementing their rules.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 18, 2016

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I thought the railroads still worked in a odd area of the law.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

IPCRESS posted:

Yeah, but what's the over/under on a trainload of Chinese folks starving to death in a tunnel because maintenance de-energized the line and then spent a month thinking about it before they started work?

im curious as to where this sentiment comes from. Say what you may about China and its government but their rail system is world class.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

GlassEye-Boy posted:

im curious as to where this sentiment comes from. Say what you may about China and its government but their rail system is world class.

It was hyperbole, but stems from last week's report of a woman found starved to death in an elevator, with mangled hands and claw marks all over the doors. Maintenance had shut it down a month prior without checking to see if it was occupied.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

NoWake posted:

It was hyperbole, but stems from last week's report of a woman found starved to death in an elevator, with mangled hands and claw marks all over the doors. Maintenance had shut it down a month prior without checking to see if it was occupied.
:stare: Yikes well that's certainly frightening

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Fuckin' hell that's nightmare fuel.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Clang.

Sure that'll buff out.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Clang.

Sure that'll buff out.

Noooooo! They're so pretty those :(

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
A Backhoe has been the latest victim against non steerable trains.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/03/us/philadelphia-amtrak-derailment/index.html

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

A Backhoe has been the latest victim against non steerable trains.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/03/us/philadelphia-amtrak-derailment/index.html

Must have fouled the track with the boom?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Clang.

Sure that'll buff out.

well they were due to be repainted in the green livery anyway

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's a railgun! :haw:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
That's certainly one way to fire a locomotive.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Now I want to see what that'd look like with tank treads. Or monster truck wheels. Get The Onion on that stat!

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

meltie posted:

Noooooo! They're so pretty those :(

It's only a fiberglass nose to just behind the cab doors, all the frame structure sits back a bit from the actual front. Time to dust off the moulds again....

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Must have fouled the track with the boom?

Back hoes are made from steel as thick, or thicker, than a lot of locomotive components. I would think the wheels could ride up on a lot of the debris.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Canadian train (47 cars) missing - article has link to audio.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

The article is from last year but some quick googling doesn't bring up any sort of resolution to this. Did they seriously never find the train?

edit: oh it appears to have been some kind of prank. I hate april fools.
http://whatreallyhappened.com/content/satire-alert-canadian-rail-47-car-train-not-missing

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yeah, "This is That" is a satirical program, and a hilarious one at that because they are so deadpan about it. I mean the top headline on their CBC page right now is how the federal government is going to spend millions to baby-proof the House of Commons.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The crash in Germany was seems to have been due to a dispatcher playing candy crush or whatever http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/14/world/europe/bavaria-germany-train-crash.html

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

MrChips posted:

Yeah, "This is That" is a satirical program, and a hilarious one at that because they are so deadpan about it. I mean the top headline on their CBC page right now is how the federal government is going to spend millions to baby-proof the House of Commons.

Man, the Conservatives are really serious about bringing in new blood.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The crash in Germany was seems to have been due to a dispatcher playing candy crush or whatever http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/14/world/europe/bavaria-germany-train-crash.html

It mentions autobrake systems were installed after 2011, why didn't those do anything?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

CharlesM posted:

It mentions autobrake systems were installed after 2011, why didn't those do anything?

They only activate at signals. From reading wikipedia, it sounds like the dispatcher let one of the trains pass a signal at stop/danger while another train was already traveling full speed on the block ahead.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Thanks to Axeman Jim's knowledge dumps I know now what this monstrosity was that British Leyland tried to peddle off to Philadelphia in the '80s.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I saw these stickers someone made on a locomotive, not sure if I posted them already:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Check out picture 28. This link is supposed to go to it, but it might not. You might have to scroll.
http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/04/the-great-san-francisco-earthquake-110-years-ago/477750/#img28

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Looks like CN lost a rail trestle due to a fire of unknown origin, and it happened in a spectacular fashion:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tm_content=link

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

B4Ctom1 posted:

Check out picture 28. This link is supposed to go to it, but it might not. You might have to scroll.
http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/04/the-great-san-francisco-earthquake-110-years-ago/477750/#img28

Those are all great images. #27 is pretty hilarious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Those really are some amazing images. 20 and 21 really drive home how huge of a disaster that was.