Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

So from what I'm reading, don't buy this at 50% off right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I guess it's not awful, and the main problems with the match engine aren't as flat out retarded as they have been in previous years (although "He certainly didn't mean to do that!" is happening a lot more again since the last patch).

Like the goals scored from full-back crossing are believable they're just way too common for what would be considered incredible goals in real life. You can defend against them if you treat every dogshit rightback like a world class matchwinner in your tactics.

Full-back ratings are absurdly high and Bellerin will win PotY but that's not game-breakingly bad.

Depends how excited you are to play FM. 17 will probably be better on release. This year's new features were mainly garbage (potato manager, redesigned gui for the set pieces that manages to have less functionality than some of the old systems) and patches didn't improve it beyond crash-related issues.

The beta match engine was the best it got this year by a clear margin.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

My favourite commentary thing is

*defender taps the ball out for a throw-in / corner*
"He took no chances there"
"He launched it into Row Z!"

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

St Evan Echoes posted:

My favourite commentary thing is

*defender taps the ball out for a throw-in / corner*
"He took no chances there"
"He launched it into Row Z!"

"Player did so well until the finish!"

when a player gets the ball 50 yards from goal with no one near him, dribbles 15 yards forward, and then blasts it closer to the corner flag than the goal. At least 3 times a match

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My least favourite thing at the moment is that the game considers every offside to be a highlight so will show it even when it's nothing possession ending when a fullback doesn't get back in time.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
So from what I can tell, '16 is really bad? I have and hate 2014, so should i just keep waiting before getting a new version?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Up Circle posted:

So from what I can tell, '16 is really bad? I have and hate 2014, so should i just keep waiting before getting a new version?

2015 is pretty good, buy that and use a data update to make it 2016.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I played a longish save recently, like 4 seasons, and fuckin hell I don't see how you guys go to 20+ when the AI has no idea how to manage a squad long term, through a combination of factors but the biggest is their terrible rotations leading to them playing 75% condition pensioners with the rest icon, and never playing their great kids so they stagnate, this has a lot of knockon effects.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Charlie Mopps posted:

2015 is pretty good, buy that and use a data update to make it 2016.

Got a link to a good update?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I played a longish save recently, like 4 seasons, and fuckin hell I don't see how you guys go to 20+ when the AI has no idea how to manage a squad long term, through a combination of factors but the biggest is their terrible rotations leading to them playing 75% condition pensioners with the rest icon, and never playing their great kids so they stagnate, this has a lot of knockon effects.

I have really never noticed the 75% rest thing and in my experience teams inevitably sell off players who are even approaching old age and buy new wonderkids with regularity.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

FM15 was one of the best imo. Match engine was good and you could get a lot of different tactics functioning in different ways. In this version it seems like there is a really limited amount of ways you can actually set up without being thrashed.

Speaking of thrashed I'm getting hosed up in Serie A after winning Serie B with Cagliari. I absolutely wrecked the league winning it with record points but even though I signed some great players (Donnarumma, Mammana, Bentacur) I'm really struggling. I like that this version is a little harder in that respect as I used to find it a bit easy to get into Europe after being promoted but it's frustrating that I can't quite work out what I'm doing wrong.

Has anyone got any good tactics that don't rely on a million crosses or gets scored on by a million crosses?

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012

Ewar Woowar posted:

Has anyone got any good tactics that don't rely on a million crosses or gets scored on by a million crosses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blpe_sGnnP4

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I have managed to create some tactics that score cool goals passing through the centre but they also draw loads of games 0-0 and Palace and Arsenal will run a train on them.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I havent gotten a new version yet so it's still old 2014 but this is pretty classic football manager for me.

I was really excited that I ended up with no matches one weekend, so I played a ECC match on wednesday, and then had a week off until the second leg. The payback for that awesome scheduling is that I now have to play 4 matches in 7 days with 4 starters injured.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I played out a season to test tactics and it seems a 4231 is viable again with the new patch and also playing a winger in central midfield is no longer a way to guarantee them getting at least an assist a game so I guess the new patch is better

I score a few coming down the wings and cutting inside for either a pass or a switch out to the overlapping fullback, which actually seems realistic now

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Up Circle posted:

I havent gotten a new version yet so it's still old 2014 but this is pretty classic football manager for me.

I was really excited that I ended up with no matches one weekend, so I played a ECC match on wednesday, and then had a week off until the second leg. The payback for that awesome scheduling is that I now have to play 4 matches in 7 days with 4 starters injured.

Their fix for this was to add press conference conversation options to complain about fixture congestion.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I'd have no problem with the press conferences if the outcome from your choices wasn't entirely incongruous with what they actually say, and also I guess if they weren't just you clicking 'yes / no / no comment' in one of 4 irrelevant tones of voice five times before every game

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I went back through the thread and collected the sassassin posts about where the UI is particularly misleading. Good examples are Control being garbage, counter being for possession, DM ratings being lower than they should be, AP-A and AM-S being stationary, and opposition instructions be worse than useless. You have any other gems worth sharing now that folks are coming back to the game after the last patch?

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
>Cautiously : No comment.
>Listens passionately.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

fwiw I disagree with sassassin on the control/counter thing, but maybe we just have different interpretations on what those things should look like irl

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

fwiw I disagree with sassassin on the control/counter thing

same

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The game's main problem is communication. Everyone has different interpretations of what instructions should mean because the makers themselves intend it that way. To provide proper technical writing (the sort that tells the player what the buttons actually do) would be against the spirit of the game and break it wide open.

Take the hidden stat Adaptability. It was recently used in the new feature where young players will adopt the general attitude of the squad around them; a professional squad increases their professionalism, an ambitious squad ambition, and if you're terrible at squad building, a determined squad will increase their determination. A player with high Adaptability will change tack quicker than one with low Adaptability. Makes sense right? It's how Adaptable they are.

But the attribute Adaptability has always been used solely for a player's ability to adapt to living in a different country. This is the core definition (and I think it appears on manager profiles, but didn't used to when that description was accurate). Every researcher has assigned values based on this definition.

Publicly SI defend this use of the attribute because "well, it's how adaptable they are". That's how they want the game played; vague assumptions and guesswork with no knowledge of the underlying mechanics. You do fitness training to work on fitness (doesn't work), pick players with high Workrate to avoid laziness (barely a factor) and pick Control when you want to control the game with patient possession (not that kind of control).

Non-publicly they're changing Adaptability back in 17.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Are you actually living in Mile's brain?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Control controls football matches in the same way a wifebeater controls his wife. It's brute force without enough damage to get the police involved.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

sassassin posted:

Control controls football matches in the same way a wifebeater controls his wife. It's brute force without enough damage to get the police involved.

Lol. I've always used control with retain possession and that usually works well for me should i change it to attacking instead? I don't want patient possession play i want constant attacks and fast paced passing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Up Circle posted:

Lol. I've always used control with retain possession and that usually works well for me should i change it to attacking instead? I don't want patient possession play i want constant attacks and fast paced passing.

Retain possession shortens passing, lowers tempo and lowers mentality. The opposite of what you want.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I always justified it by comparing it to doing cocaine and then smoking weed to take the edge off :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Common sense says Leicester play on the Counter and Arsenal Control games but in FM terms Leicester Attack from a 4-4-2 while Arsenal play Defensively in a 4-2-3-1.

That said you can do a decent version of most playing styles without ever changing from Standard.

I stick with Defensive because it has the Timewasting button.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
What's the exciting "new" feature going to be for FM17? Build your own stadiums where the stadium is rendered like a game made in 1997?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They collected detailed data of every stadium last summer but in-game the liberty still has burger stands in two open corners. Maybe they're saving it.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

How can we get you to make a huge effortpost on what you know about this game?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

You just tickle his 'tism, like this

"Determination is the most important attribute in the game"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

Common sense says Leicester play on the Counter and Arsenal Control games but in FM terms Leicester Attack from a 4-4-2 while Arsenal play Defensively in a 4-2-3-1.

That said you can do a decent version of most playing styles without ever changing from Standard.

I stick with Defensive because it has the Timewasting button.

Yeah if I want that kind of counter I do Attacking and a slightly deeper or normal line.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah if I want that kind of counter I do Attacking and a slightly deeper or normal line.

Counter actually kind of sucks for proper counter attacking (imo) because it has special coding that makes counter events (every player gains full attacking mentality, direct passing, more expressive, forward runs etc. for the phase) trigger more often than normal.

In addition to the great counter opportunities (available in every mentality) you will also try to counter in less great ones, with no control over the style of attack. Attacking is much better for creating intense fast breakaways because your whole team doesn't lose their poo poo. Team instructions stay intact.

Generally speaking, excellent technical footballing sides can take advantage of Counter as individually their players can make gains when frenzied, average teams will just piss away the extra counters they spring as one on one they can't.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If I tried to explain everything I know it would probably end up as full of misinterpretations and outright lies as every third-party guide site already out there (but still way more accurate than the in-game hints and tips).

I mostly know a bunch of weird (often counter-intuitive) specifics, rarely a full picture of how the different game systems operate and interact.

I make that stuff up based on anecdotal playing experience and biases.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Yeah I make up stuff too

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Big Taff Man posted:

Yeah I make up stuff too

I knew that friend of a friend of Phil Neville stuff was all lies.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'm doing quite well now and should push for a Euro League place in my first season after being promoted from Serie B. I'm still reliant on my inside forwards and fullbacks to put in crosses but I've had a few nice chipped balls over the top for the striker/inside forward to run onto goals.

Tactically I'm playing a 4-5-1 with a defensive midfielder, box to box, and a advanced playmaker in midfield (although all three have far better technical and attacking stats than defence orientated ones). Up front I have two inside forwards and a defensive forward. The idea was to have my attacking player holding up the ball and playing in the inside forwards but target men never seem to operate quite how I'd like so gave a defensive forward a try. Seems to be working well even though I don't have a great striker and he's not really suited to that role. Also playing an attacking mentality which is giving me less possession but a lot more goals.

I really want to use a few of the more interesting roles and go back to making weird or historical tactics but this version doesn't have much wiggle room unfortunately.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Complete Forward - Support worked pretty well in 16.2 to do what you're describing from a front man, not sure if it works as well post patch though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

Complete Forward - Support worked pretty well in 16.2 to do what you're describing from a front man, not sure if it works as well post patch though

I actually just finished 3rd in my first season after being promoted!

Bought fat Destro to score some goals in the Champions League.