Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

susan posted:

I don't suppose FFG sells an adversary deck of starships (TIEs, X-wings, etc), so a GM could have a card sleeve page of pilot stats and ship stats at the same time? Or would that be too convenient?

I would kill for that. The ships are really scattered around all the different books (though I guess it's one of the big reasons to buy them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I'm the guy who made the flawed ship rules on the last page- I also made some stat cards for ships, the ones I've gotten round to putting online are here.
They look like this:
As ships have waaay more detailed stats than characters I had to resort to using icons for weapon properties. Hopefully they should be fairly easy to decipher from context.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Talkie Toaster posted:

I'm the guy who made the flawed ship rules on the last page- I also made some stat cards for ships, the ones I've gotten round to putting online are here.
They look like this:
As ships have waaay more detailed stats than characters I had to resort to using icons for weapon properties. Hopefully they should be fairly easy to decipher from context.

Oh those are NICE! I'm gonna have to PnP a set of those.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Talkie Toaster posted:

They look like this:

Oh, I didn't know you were a SAer. Hi! Those were some pretty cool rules you made, and these stat cards are pretty neat too.

E: Are there rules for re-outfitting ships, such as trading off quarters for passengers with cargo space?
I had the idea of adding different configurations to the ship generator, such as having cages for shipping animals, cells for bounties, etc.

E: I updated the ship generator. New ship (HT-2200 Medium Freighter), added sensor range attribute and a checkbox for setting a minimum number of quirks so the ship's price is =< 120,000cr.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 13, 2016

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Finished session 4 today. Surprisingly it featured the Assassin most of the time. Taking to him a bit to get him out of his shell really helped the session. However, my party continues to be my party, featuring such highlights as:

Pilot: "I use my disguise kit to dress up as an undercover Imperial officer"
Me: "...?"

Pilot: "Don't mind the crackling noise, I'm on Skype on my phone and am cooking salmon right now"
Pilot: "Don't mind the scrubbing noise, I'm just doing the dishes"

Doctor: "My droid collapses and has a seizure in the middle of the street" (he is addicted to a particulate gas and decided his character had had enough, I guess)

Probably the greatest (and stupidest) highlight was, well -
The premise of the adventure is that the group was press-ganged by the ISB into carrying out an assassination hit on the governor of this planet. This is fine for the Assassin for obvious reasons, but the Pilot's absurd backstory and limited imagination makes any run-in with the Empire something he wants to gently caress up. So against the better OOC wishes of the party, the first thing he did on the planet was go to every authority figure and inform them the Governor's life was in danger from an Imperial conspiracy. The assassin? His very own party member. Later in the session, the Assassin was waylaid by very increased security and almost died (but managed an absolutely incredible roll at the end to get out alive) and was bewildered as to why security was on high alert. I'm hoping for the Pilot's sake he doesn't find out.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Zodack posted:

A very poorly disguised undercover Imperial officer, clearly.

Dressed like a civilian, goose-stepping all the way to the general store.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zodack posted:

Finished session 4 today. Surprisingly it featured the Assassin most of the time. Taking to him a bit to get him out of his shell really helped the session. However, my party continues to be my party, featuring such highlights as:

Pilot: "Don't mind the crackling noise, I'm on Skype on my phone and am cooking salmon right now"
Pilot: "Don't mind the scrubbing noise, I'm just doing the dishes"

Doctor: "My droid collapses and has a seizure in the middle of the street" (he is addicted to a particulate gas and decided his character had had enough, I guess)

Probably the greatest (and stupidest) highlight was, well -
The premise of the adventure is that the group was press-ganged by the ISB into carrying out an assassination hit on the governor of this planet. This is fine for the Assassin for obvious reasons, but the Pilot's absurd backstory and limited imagination makes any run-in with the Empire something he wants to gently caress up. So against the better OOC wishes of the party, the first thing he did on the planet was go to every authority figure and inform them the Governor's life was in danger from an Imperial conspiracy. The assassin? His very own party member. Later in the session, the Assassin was waylaid by very increased security and almost died (but managed an absolutely incredible roll at the end to get out alive) and was bewildered as to why security was on high alert. I'm hoping for the Pilot's sake he doesn't find out.

Not gonna lie, I am hoping the Assassin does find out and they all murder each other and your players look at you dumbfounded HOW THIS HAPPEN?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We finally slogged through Onslaught at Arda I. We skipped the investigation parts because they basically sucked and my players weren't into them.

Starting Lessons from the Past from the F&D core book next. It looks shorter and more on task. My Jedi player will be able to trade in his ancient sword soon.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

homullus posted:

Not gonna lie, I am hoping the Assassin does find out and they all murder each other and your players look at you dumbfounded HOW THIS HAPPEN?

This is my fantasy

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Zodack posted:

This is my fantasy

Honestly, at this point that is the best way that this campaign could end.

Unless the players suddenly get their poo poo together.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The best part is it would be one-sided and end with the Assassin killing the rest of the party. I've been urging them to put points into ranged skills, but currently the Pilot has Gunnery 1 and the Doctor has 0 in all of his combat skills. Normally - well, at least in a larger party - this would be fine, but combat is dangerous enough as it is so I fear for their lives. My Pilot's justification for this is "well, so far I haven't missed" and I'm unsure if he realizes "so far" he has been fighting Wound 5, 0 / 0 MR Defense Minions and nothing else.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Zodack posted:

The best part is it would be one-sided and end with the Assassin killing the rest of the party. I've been urging them to put points into ranged skills, but currently the Pilot has Gunnery 1 and the Doctor has 0 in all of his combat skills. Normally - well, at least in a larger party - this would be fine, but combat is dangerous enough as it is so I fear for their lives. My Pilot's justification for this is "well, so far I haven't missed" and I'm unsure if he realizes "so far" he has been fighting Wound 5, 0 / 0 MR Defense Minions and nothing else.

A nice slaughter then, I like it.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I think I may of shocked the other players in the game I am in.

I have the party support character (Agitator/Medic) who they think is only dabbling in Makashi. After picking up a cursed sith holocron I got possessed and went after the two other PC's with two levels of nemesis, three more force dice and the ability to roll the force dice on the lightsaber check.

It took just two attacks to almost murder the both the other PC's (the 61 total on the crit roll with +60 was very lucky) before they could get the holocron out of my hand to stop the possession .

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Running a one-shot EotE game tomorrow for my University's Games Club intro night. Never run EotE before (my regular game is F&D), but I figure it's a good way to introduce first year Uni students to the system.

"You're the best drat band in the whole mid-rim. Sure, you're broke. Sure, the Hutts have probably just put a hit out on you. Sure, the Reverend Mother at the orphanage you all grew up in has just called you in to tell you that if they don't get 50,000 credits by tomorrow, the Empire will be demolishing them to build a giant statue of Grand Moff Tarkin. But hey, other than that, things are looking up!

Coming soon: An Earful of Jizz"

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Is it possible to remove a starfighter weapon system to get its hard point for another mod?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

ShineDog posted:

Is it possible to remove a starfighter weapon system to get its hard point for another mod?

Sure. Why not? I don't think there are explicit rules for it but that doesn't sound far fetched.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Had an especially bloodthirsty player during this week's session (Bothan Bounty hunter) try to take a shot at basically a quest-giver. The undercover rebel section chief had promised 5000 credits to the player as payment for a job and when they came to collect he told the player that the reward was 5000 credits worth of non-perishable foodstuffs. He was not having that and did a negotiation check to try to intimidate the chief. The check failed so he wanted to shoot the guy, out of principle. The rest of the party OOC said it was a bad idea, but he wanted to give it a shot.

The section chief drew first and blasted with a disruptor(!) and the player fled. Another member of the party saw shooting and based on the bounty hunter being a new member of the group, assumed he went rogue, and shot him dead. Going to try to salvage this by having him incapacitated instead of killed, maybe the rebels paid for the surgery so there's some obligation set up there.

I have a big group, up to 8 people last week and haven't really found a good way to tie them together despite their wildly differing motivations. I had thought maybe have a NPC hire them to be part of a mercenary group to at least give a reason why they shouldn't be shooting each other. The original crew that was in the beginner campaign is still playing, but it's a little awkward to introduce and encourage new joiners to the campaign and have a reason for them to work together.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So I might be playing a RL game, and I was looking on the character generator. I'm going to talk to the GM tomarrow maybe.

I noticed the Quarrian has a shoot ink ability that blinds people. Now I have to make a Quarrian colonist (doctor) (I'm sure this joke was never made before). (woo woo woo woo!)

But in seriousness, there are tons of races and classes in this game, and the GM said basically their open to whatever, so I've been writing out very basic ideas, not really knowing what everyone else is doing.

The GM said they' wouldn't rule out stuff like Ewoks, but I'd have to sell them on it.
(Yes, I asked. For some reason I want to play an Ewok. Maybe it's because it's a little silly and would be a bit of a challenge to do something interesting with).

Are there particularly good beginner classes? I'm not sure yet, but I think I'm leaning towards something that's a bit in the middle of skill and combat oriented.

The GM really wants to encourage people to play force sensitive characters (but hasn't said it's mandatory), but to be honest, I've always been someone who leaned towards more Han Solo characters over say Luke Skywalker or Obi Wan.

My ideas:

Ewok Bounty Hunter (Assassin) who can get away with assassinations because he's small, and people asusme it couldn't be the Ewok. So he's a bit jaded about this too, though I don't want him to be super angst or anything.

Male Bessalisk Warrior (Aggressor), a sort of kung-fu street fighter guy using the 'four hands" style.

Reye Hired Gun (Demolitionist) who's inspired heavily by Vinnie from Atlantis, recycled from a short campaign here.

Pollis Massan Colonist (Politico). The race has a neat trait of most not being able to speak (but "speak" with telepathy), and so I thought, what if they were a diplomat? A thought came to me that he's a member of some small religion/cult that's a "speaker for" something that doesn't have a voice, like the dead, nature or the force (a small spin-off of the Jedi, though never officially recognized by them, and I said, insanely obscure.).

And no, I don't know much about the EU and how much this might match/class with any actual religions/cults in the world.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 14, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Foolster41 posted:

Are there particularly good beginner classes? I'm not sure yet, but I think I'm leaning towards something that's a bit in the middle of skill and combat oriented.

The GM really wants to encourage people to play force sensitive characters (but hasn't said it's mandatory), but to be honest, I've always been someone who leaned towards more Han Solo characters over say Luke Skywalker or Obi Wan.

The classes all work more or less the same, and nothing any one of them has is off-limits if you are a different class, except the Signature Abilities of a different career. Don't worry about "beginner classes." If you are creating characters using the default generation rules, you very likely will be building up characteristics rather than specialization talents anyway. I think the best way to go about these is to consider what you want your character to be BEST at within the party -- what do you want your character to be working on at the end of the movie, where the film cuts from character to character being awesome in order to overcome the whatever? Find the Signature Ability that is closest to that. You should then choose a specialization in that career as your base, even if you immediately buy a different specialization outside that career because you want those talents more at first.

Also note that Force sensitive is just another specialization that you buy after your first base one, and that many of its talents are things that you would pass off as unconscious; being Force-sensitive does not lock you into a Jedi track, and even if it did, there are more blaster-y and pilot-y Jedi options anyway.

Also also, I think you should not worry about what the different species are like in the EU unless one really excites you. That way lies madness and individuals can always be different.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
The group I play this with records our sessions for a podcast they call the whiskey rebellion. It's pretty funny if that's the kind of thing you like to listen to. http://www.loadeddicenetwork.com/category/podcasts/whiskeyrebellion/

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/3/16/thank-the-maker/

Apparently Special Modifications is available now?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I wonder if that's a typo..last I heard, it was Nexus of Power this week, Special Modifications next, and both on Thursdays.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

This book makes me with I wasn't the GM of an ill-fated suicide party because nothing gets me into RPGs more than crafting

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Neat, I've got a character or two in the group that's gonna eat this up. Hopefully it's in shops tomorrow? I got a pre-order in with my FLGS last week.

VVVV Sorry, you rolled a two successes and a despair. You created a very good robot....who wants to kill you when you're not looking

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 17, 2016

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
I can't wait to craft a robot best friend.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yup, Nexus of Power is today, according to my FLGS

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man...I'm driving out that way for something unrelated tomorrow...but I may just go an extra time. I've been really looking forward to that book in particular!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Neat, I've got a character or two in the group that's gonna eat this up. Hopefully it's in shops tomorrow? I got a pre-order in with my FLGS last week.

VVVV Sorry, you rolled a two successes and a despair. You created a very good robot....who wants to kill you when you're not looking

So basically, they made Chopper.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gonna be a cool book to have for my Droid who is established as being constantly tinkering with making new droids. For the impending droid revolution.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My players are putting a copies of their battle Droid's mind into every droid they come across. The new book is gonna help them continue building the galaxy's worst hive mind.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got my copy of Nexus of Power; any info requests?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Three questions:

1. To what extent are the Temple Guard discussed?

2. What's their take on the tree-cave on Dagobah?

3. What is the most surprising Force site in the book?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PantsOptional posted:

1. To what extent are the Temple Guard discussed?

What 'Temple Guard' are we talking about? The closest I see is Stone Guardians from one of the modular encounters on Ossus.

EDIT: just found a sidebar in the Vergences chapter about guardians of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant; calls out that they exclusively wield double-bladed yellow lightsabers, they get a full stat block, but only a paragraph and a half of flavor text and back stories.

PantsOptional posted:

2. What's their take on the tree-cave on Dagobah?

In the text of the Dagobah planet entry, it is given the heading "The Dark Side Cave" which seems to pretty definitively pin it down. There is then a section in the 'Powerful Vergences' chapter dedicated to the cave. It is explicitly called "not just dark, but evil", and anyone entering the cave is automatically subject to e Daunting fear check

PantsOptional posted:

3. What is the most surprising Force site in the book?

The one that I immediately went "Huh?" to was Naboo, as I had never considered Naboo (primarily a location from the prequel trilogy, rather than wider EU) to be a particularly Force-strong location. This is justified by Naboo being less of a "Strong planet of the Force" and instead being a more simple 'land of lush landscapes, and two main coexisting species'

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

jivjov posted:

What 'Temple Guard' are we talking about? The closest I see is Stone Guardians from one of the modular encounters on Ossus.

EDIT: just found a sidebar in the Vergences chapter about guardians of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant; calls out that they exclusively wield double-bladed yellow lightsabers, they get a full stat block, but only a paragraph and a half of flavor text and back stories.

That's a little disappointing, I would have expected slightly more given that they're on the cover.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Are there any new species in Nexus?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JesterOfAmerica posted:

Are there any new species in Nexus?

Aleena, Bardottan, Devaronian, and Gungan

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, I have a power-gamer friend who always wants to play OP character classes. In past Star Wars systems he always played Jedi. For an upcoming campaign I was going to have people pick EotE and AoR characters. Of course, he wanted a Jedi and wanted me to get the F&D book. I pointed him to the Force-Sensitve Exile. He was not impressed.

How annoying will it be to have a F&D Jedi character with a bunch of fringey EotE/AoR guys? My experience with past Star Wars systems makes me think somewhere between "very annoying" and "campaign breaking". He also likes to make campaigns about him, and I so very much do not want to run a Jedi campaign. I told him there wouldn't be Jedi masters, so there's no way you'd be able to gain Jedi specializations. His solution was to have me just give him a Jedi holocron.

:ughh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Finster Dexter posted:

So, I have a power-gamer friend who always wants to play OP character classes. In past Star Wars systems he always played Jedi. For an upcoming campaign I was going to have people pick EotE and AoR characters. Of course, he wanted a Jedi and wanted me to get the F&D book. I pointed him to the Force-Sensitve Exile. He was not impressed.

How annoying will it be to have a F&D Jedi character with a bunch of fringey EotE/AoR guys? My experience with past Star Wars systems makes me think somewhere between "very annoying" and "campaign breaking". He also likes to make campaigns about him, and I so very much do not want to run a Jedi campaign. I told him there wouldn't be Jedi masters, so there's no way you'd be able to gain Jedi specializations. His solution was to have me just give him a Jedi holocron.

:ughh:

It won't be game breaking at all; the force-using character options are very well balanced against the non-force-havers. Jedi specs get one less free career skill, and by the time they have enough XP to have crazy force talents, other players will have accumulated their own gear and talents and whatnot to keep up.

Combine that with the narrative focus of the game, you as the GM can pretty easily keep him from being able to do too much crazy stuff.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Should I do all the Morality stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Finster Dexter posted:

Should I do all the Morality stuff?

For a force user, definitely. That will let you put some in-game pressure on him if/when he starts using his mind powers for evil.