Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dallan Invictus posted:

It doesn't have to be the duchy capital, it just has to be a province within the duchy and your chancellor needs to have at least Diplomacy 15.

The de jure duchy, right? We all know how much the AI loves loving up borders. Sometimes I'll look at a duke and realize he has five counties in his realm, zero of which are actually de jure under his duchy title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eric the Mauve posted:

The de jure duchy, right? We all know how much the AI loves loving up borders. Sometimes I'll look at a duke and realize he has five counties in his realm, zero of which are actually de jure under his duchy title.

Accurate to feudalism.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes, the de jure duchy. Even if the person who holds the title for that de jure duchy (or kingdom, after 2.5) doesn't own or control the province you've placed the chancellor in, you can still get a claim on the duchy/kingdom title.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
46 children lack a guardian. :negative: i really wish they would just let kids continue to be educated by whoever you assigned them to with your last ruler instead of unassigning all of them.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

46 children lack a guardian. :negative: i really wish they would just let kids continue to be educated by whoever you assigned them to with your last ruler instead of unassigning all of them.

the court chaplain should offer to take care of that, because that way the court chaplain would do something once in a while other than getting murdered by peasants

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Are there event commands to trigger crusades/jihads prematurely?

Wanna see the fireworks sparkle

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Are there event commands to trigger crusades/jihads prematurely?

Wanna see the fireworks sparkle

As a catholic it's pretty trivial to conquer some territory in north africa, this will trigger jihads.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DStecks posted:

As a catholic it's pretty trivial to conquer some territory in north africa, this will trigger jihads.

Failing that or if Penguin's playing someplace else, it's fairly trivial to use the console to give territory to someone. Can't remember the command now but it's something along the lines of give d_tunis [charid] to give the Duchy of Tunis to whatever character number you enter, like the Pope.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Mister Adequate posted:

Failing that or if Penguin's playing someplace else, it's fairly trivial to use the console to give territory to someone. Can't remember the command now but it's something along the lines of give d_tunis [charid] to give the Duchy of Tunis to whatever character number you enter, like the Pope.
titleowner

Crusade question of my own: I've vassalized the Pope, he's called a Crusade, and nobody's joining. I'm guessing this is because other realms can't join a vassal's war, even if that's a Papal Crusade? I had been hoping I could get a pet Pope who'd call crusades on everybody except me, but if not, I can live with him just not calling crusades against me.

Also: Apparently I can't form an alliance with the Mongol Emperor due to his being landless, which presumably comes as a surprise to the King of Mongolia and Count of Gorgol.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So for those of you who play after the end, the github just updated.

And the Batman is now real.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How does the new coalition system interact with the Mongol hordes? Do they check their power and kinda keep them boxed in, or do the hordes spread out and actually threaten Mediterranean/Baltic players? I haven't played this in forever, but I remember there was a time when the hordes felt kind of anemic; is that still the case?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The most majestic looking Pope

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Doctor Schnabel posted:

How does the new coalition system interact with the Mongol hordes? Do they check their power and kinda keep them boxed in, or do the hordes spread out and actually threaten Mediterranean/Baltic players? I haven't played this in forever, but I remember there was a time when the hordes felt kind of anemic; is that still the case?

Defensive pacts definitely form against the Mongol Empire in the continued playthrough I have right now. And TBH, I'd say they do keep them boxed in but in a hilariously stupid way - once they reach something like 90% threat, and get nations that border them all across their vast, stretched out empire, the AI just keeps sending its event troops from one corner of said empire to the other, wasting loads of time and never managing to quite catch up to or decide which of the tiny enemy armies it wants to squish in a nanosecond. So the percentage ticks upwards for the defensive nations, as this Yakety Sax army chasing constantly occurs and next to no warscore is achieved, even if they ever DO catch up, and I've seen a one-county war (with over 90% defensive pacts inviting all the neighbors to join in fighting the Mongols and send in their delaying armies ofc) last for a decade in this way when I let it run wild purely as an experiment. When it could've been over in a matter of months, had the Mongols just sent a single one of their stacks into the county they were attacking and sieged it fully as 1st priority, and only 2nd priority use other stacks to chase down any invaders.

All of this, of course, in sharp contrast to when I continued the old savegame, Genghis Khan's threat was at 0% and he managed to invade and take Persia in a couple of years. :v:

So yeah, Paradox/Groogy/Darkrenown whoever...the AI definitely needs to learn how to prioritize targets better, since these defensive pacts and threatening armies at all of their borders really seems to confuse them. Especially the Mongols, with their event troops that remain their main power for a long while. If I were to guess what it is, I'd say that the AI still prioritizes fighting enemy armies far too much over just sieging the gently caress out of the enemy in offensive wars, and with the new shattered retreat and all that allows for some really lovely delaying tactics against it.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 13, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

DStecks posted:

There's now a limit so that they don't start before 900 or so. This is dull, when I mostly start during the Charly bookmark.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Can someone give a lowdown of who the cool characters to play in after the end are?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is the "Groom an heir" ambition new to the latest patch? I like it - it gives the same benefits as the old "have a son/daughter" ambitions but is a lot more involved than just popping out a child.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is the "Groom an heir" ambition new to the latest patch? I like it - it gives the same benefits as the old "have a son/daughter" ambitions but is a lot more involved than just popping out a child.

it is and its great however it does make it a real choice with that +20% fertility. It must be a newborn child it cant be your 7 y/o son since well thats 7 years ungroomed! i like it alot since i have mostly chosen war chest or the other basic ambitions but once i had the full 16 year chain from "groom an heir" i haven't looked back. It has the ability to set up your son/daughter/horse with some amazing bonuses to vassals +opinion stuff etc

also some drat nice prestige gains/ loving what why 100 prestige taken away cuz my son is a dumb prick ohhh you fuckers

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lawman 0 posted:

Can someone give a lowdown of who the cool characters to play in after the end are?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
goku gokusson

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

CrazyLoon posted:

So yeah, Paradox/Groogy/Darkrenown whoever...the AI definitely needs to learn how to prioritize targets better, since these defensive pacts and threatening armies at all of their borders really seems to confuse them. Especially the Mongols, with their event troops that remain their main power for a long while. If I were to guess what it is, I'd say that the AI still prioritizes fighting enemy armies far too much over just sieging the gently caress out of the enemy in offensive wars, and with the new shattered retreat and all that allows for some really lovely delaying tactics against it.

Yeah, I agree the AI needs a bunch of updates, I hope we can get some AI programmer time to improve things.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Normal Adult Human posted:

the court chaplain should offer to take care of that, because that way the court chaplain would do something once in a while other than getting murdered by peasants

um nuh uh, he also will convert every province but the one you assign him to through some unintentional and arcane game mechanic which I can't directly attribute to him

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Four Score posted:

um nuh uh, he also will convert every province but the one you assign him to through some unintentional and arcane game mechanic which I can't directly attribute to him

I think that arcane mechanic is "your vassals' court chaplains converting their own provinces".

Vassals can definitely do this in the opposite direction as well. I was once playing a Navarra game where I gave the duchy of Aragon to a Jewish chancellor I really liked, within about 50 years two counties had been converted to Judaism.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Are councillors stances from the Conclave moddable?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Gantolandon posted:

You can change them in an uncompressed savefile, but I've found them reverting back to the original after about a year or so. Barring that, I think you absolutely can mod the chances of a councilor becoming a certain stance when appointed or shifting to it as time passes. Some goon posted the exact mechanics earlier ITT.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

verbal enema posted:

it is and its great however it does make it a real choice with that +20% fertility. It must be a newborn child it cant be your 7 y/o son since well thats 7 years ungroomed! i like it alot since i have mostly chosen war chest or the other basic ambitions but once i had the full 16 year chain from "groom an heir" i haven't looked back. It has the ability to set up your son/daughter/horse with some amazing bonuses to vassals +opinion stuff etc

also some drat nice prestige gains/ loving what why 100 prestige taken away cuz my son is a dumb prick ohhh you fuckers

Oh, thanks for explaining that. I could never quite figure out what made that ambition show up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gantolandon posted:

In what sense`? Like modifying how they vote? That's definitely possible. Adding or removing stances? No idea.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Quoting that person I mentioned earlier, as to the specifics of how it's determined:

Autonomous Monster posted:

Instead of trying to guess let's just check the code, yeah?

Loyalists:
  • MUST have positive opinion of liege OR be a horse
  • ±0 base weight
  • +25 weight for: is nomad AND liege is Greatest of Khans
  • +10 weight for each of: content, close relative of liege, friend of liege, opinion of liege >= 95
  • +5 weight for each of: trusting, distant relative of liege, lover of liege

Pragmatists:
  • MUST NOT be a horse
  • +30 base weight
  • -0.4 weight per point of opinion of liege (-40 weight at +100)
  • +1 weight per % of liege's realm controlled
  • ??? some weirdo clause about absolute realm size I can't parse, I think pragmatist is weighted higher in smaller realms?
  • +10 weight for each of: cynical, craven, just, paranoid
  • -10 weight for each of: content, arbitrary, slothful, greedy
  • -50 weight for each of: zealous, is nomad AND liege is Greatest of Khans

Glory Hounds:
  • MUST NOT be a horse
  • +30 base weight
  • +1 weight per % of liege's realm controlled
  • ??? some weirdo clause about absolute realm size I can't parse
  • +10 weight for each of: brave, honest(?), proud
  • -10 weight for each of: content, shy, humble
  • -50 weight for: craven

Zealots:
  • MUST NOT be a horse
  • +20 base weight
  • +0.45 weight per % of liege's troop count controlled
  • +0.45 weight per % of liege's realm controlled
  • +25 weight for: zealous
  • +20 weight for each of: theocratic government, a called crusade which you haven't joined
  • +10 weight for: humble
  • +5 weight for each of: piety >= 5 (??? that's everyone), crusader OR mujahid, liege piety < 0
  • -5 weight for: liege is zealous
  • -10 weight for each of: liege is crusader OR mujahid, liege piety >= 200, content
  • -50 weight for each of: cynical, is nomad AND liege is Greatest of Khans

Malcontents:
  • MUST NOT be a horse
  • +15 base weight
  • +2 weight per point of NEGATIVE opinion of liege (+200 weight at -100)
  • -1.1 weight per point of POSITIVE opinion of liege (-110 weight at +100)
  • +0.5 weight per % of liege's troop count controlled
  • +0.5 weight per % of liege's realm controlled
  • +20 weight for: rival of liege
  • +10 weight for: envious
  • +5 weight for: (envious AND NOT content) OR ambitious
  • -5 weight for: trusting
  • -15 weight for: content
  • -50 weight for: is nomad AND liege is Greatest of Khans

...so it looks like it is going to be mostly high opinion that makes people into loyalists.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Two realms are locked in a beautiful dance of incompetence in my AtE game.

The Appalachian Mountains are right between them. When the attacking army manages to circle around them, the defending army has anticipated them so they turn back around to circle the other side of the mountains, but the defending army has anticipated them, so they turn back to circle around etc etc

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Is there a history of council votes? Specifically for your liege's council?

I'll get messages every so often about votes I need to make but not always. Sometimes I'll just get a message that the Emperor went against the will of the council and we are now discontent.

You can see specifically the discontent reason on the council screen but only for that not any other previous votes and how they went (in process law changes are on the law screen but again not ones that already finished).

I get that sometimes I'm forced to vote a certain way because of a favor but then I can't go back and see how I or anyone else voted.

Also a bug? I can be forced to join a faction via a favor but can then leave the faction right away with no penalty (as far as I could tell)

Zero One fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 14, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh gently caress this. I ended a game (After the End) to go to the menu, and now my latest saves have been wiped clean of characters :psyduck: Like the map doesn't display any, and trying Continue or Random character just results in an immediate game over. And it's oddly specific, the last two years of game-time. There's still an old save game, but it would mean losing hours of gameplay (and over a decade in game time).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 14, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lawman 0 posted:

There's a lot of cool characters, obviously you should play as House Wayne in Gotham, I don't think I need to explain why. Otherwise, one of the handful of Americanist rulers offer a challenging but rewarding game, where the goal is to restore Old America and ensure everyone worships the Founders as they should. My favorite is the Duke of Piedmont, though there's very little room for error with him; be sure you keep the Confederate emperor buttered up while frantically expanding in every other direction and keeping a close eye for HCC instability. With the new Reformation event chain and its MTTH of 150 years, you're pretty likely to get a window right about when you're large enough to strike and start eating North Carolina.

One of the Californian kings is pretty fun, too; your goal here is to expand both within and without the Empire. Optionally you can also scheme to gain the Imperial title for yourself, but make sure your ruler is capable enough, as otherwise the empire dissolves and is pretty tricky to reform. My favorite here is Gran Francisco, since you're the start of the Interstate and after a while if you expand along it you can rake in the dough without worrying about conflict interrupting the cash flow.

If you're looking at the PNW, go for the Duchess of Portlandia, make sure everyone knows you were marrying your siblings before it was cool.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
So a few rulers ago I created the Kingdom of Wessex out of the Duchies of Hwicce(sp?), Kent and Wessex.

Now I control enough of the other counties to be able to create the Kingdom of England although this no longer includes any of the Duchies in the Kingdom of Wessex.

Won't everyone hate me if I create and have two kingdoms?

Can I create the Kingdom of England, destroy the Kingdom of Wessex and somehow have it all be part of the same kingdom? Help!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I like playing as a character creator'd Cajun Catholic in my home parish and taking over Louisiane. Also there's an Americanist down near Corpus Christi in Texas who starts in a good spot to take over the state + parts of Mexico.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hallowed posted:

So a few rulers ago I created the Kingdom of Wessex out of the Duchies of Hwicce(sp?), Kent and Wessex.

Now I control enough of the other counties to be able to create the Kingdom of England although this no longer includes any of the Duchies in the Kingdom of Wessex.

Won't everyone hate me if I create and have two kingdoms?

Can I create the Kingdom of England, destroy the Kingdom of Wessex and somehow have it all be part of the same kingdom? Help!

No you can own as many kingdom titles as you want - there's no opinion penalty for holding multiple kingdoms/empires like there is for holding too many duchies. The downside is that you might get specific opinion penalties from the de jure vassals of your secondary kingdom title because they "desire the kingdom of X" where X is the kingdom title above their own duchy. You can do what you've described and let them all de jure drift into the Kingdom of England - or alternatively you can just ignore the kingdom of England and let those titles drift into your own kingdom of Wessex. If you create the kingdom of England and destroy the title of Wessex, it won't automatically make them all de jure vassals of England - that only happens when you create your own custom kingdom/empire. Once the title exists, it takes 100 years for territory to drift out of it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
The thing I do in the main game is try to get the oldest dynasty in the game (one of the Armenian counts) to rulership over Anatolia or the near east. On my third attempt, I fought off an Abbasid invasion and I currently have five whole counties to my name, and I'm about to inherit the duchy of Armenia so things are going pretty well (I'll probably pledge fealty to the byzzies soon since my treaty with the Abbasids is up and they aren't in a million wars this time)

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Hallowed posted:

Only if you're prepared to wait 100 years for those Duchies to drift back into the Kingdom of England.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And destroying a kingdom title incurs a huge and long lasting malus with all vassals de jure under it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Is the education system giving only the lowest and highest education traits to anyone else? That seems to happen to every child in my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is the education system giving only the lowest and highest education traits to anyone else? That seems to happen to every child in my game.

Not 100% of the time but the tier 1 traits do seem far more common than before.

• Locked thread