Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's loving great and I tend to hate meme poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, that's funnier than I expected it to be.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The final unlockable for recent release SUPERHOT is also something similar, and it's equally silly because that game has a lot of emphasis on its aesthetic and the comic sans and big heads and memes just totally spoil it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well poo poo...I love games that are made to be fun. It sounds weird, but I think a lot of developers forget that games are supposed to be entertainment.

What people find fun or entertaining is such a subjective thing that I really don't see where you're getting that from. A chill walking simulator, a silly sandbox game and a brutally hard strategy game can all be fun and entertaining, even if they're not usually fun and entertaining to the exact same people.

There's more variety than ever nowadays, it's all good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What he probably means is, games that don't take time to have some self-awareness. Even the hardest-core game usually involves some semblance of awareness about the fact that video games are for fun. It's why Demon's Souls has a "this is no time to be reading messages!!" place-able message. It's why Joel isn't a fan of video games in The Last Of Us and why you can find PS3's and Uncharted/Jak and Daxter board games around the game world. It's that little something to say "we acknowledge that this is just a fun distraction" that games sometimes miss.

Games that aren't self-aware are like movies that aren't self-aware; if a movie takes its own setting too seriously then whatever fun the movie might be trying to have is lost in the fact that it's so far up its own rear end.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Mar 11, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

Games that aren't self-aware are like movies that aren't self-aware; if a movie takes its own setting too seriously then whatever fun the movie might be trying to have is lost in the fact that it's so far up its own rear end.

This is why I walked out of Schindler's List.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CJacobs posted:

What he probably means is, games that don't take time to have some self-awareness. Even the hardest-core game usually involves some semblance of awareness about the fact that video games are for fun. It's why Demon's Souls has a "this is no time to be reading messages!!" place-able message. It's why Joel isn't a fan of video games in The Last Of Us and why you can find PS3's and Uncharted/Jak and Daxter board games around the game world. It's that little something to say "we acknowledge that this is just a fun distraction" that games sometimes miss.

I don't think that's it, something taking itself too seriously is a completely different matter from a game not being "made to be fun" like that guy said. And I don't really agree that a game needs to specifically point out its self-awareness in some way anyway, all of those games you listed would be just as entertaining and enjoyable without those things in them. Plus we're talking Just Cause here, nobody needs to see a doge meme in it to realize it doesn't take itself seriously.

Either way I was just curious, don't mean to make it a whole thing here in the ol' PYF little things in games thread.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Unironic use of Internet memes is the opposite of self-awareness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm not saying the games would suck in the simple absence of those things, I'm saying that games that go out of their way to avoid having stuff like that are worse for it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If only The Walking Dead let Clementine make fart jokes it would've been a much more successful game, really.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The Walking Dead games had tons of silly moments, though?

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Video games would benefit from all characters winking in an exaggerated fashion all of the time, to remind me it's a video game

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Even if you're going for a grimdark, harrowing Blood Meridian style slog of a storyline you kind of need to have moments of levity, otherwise it becomes absurd in it's own self-serious way. Even people dying of dysentry in a rain-soaked trench crack jokes occasionally.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Video games would benefit from all characters winking in an exaggerated fashion all of the time, to remind me it's a video game

Just play one of those games by whoever made Disgaea. They're all like that all of the time and it's awful.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nuebot posted:

Just play one of those games by whoever made Disgaea. They're all like that all of the time and it's awful.

See also: Ubisoft, where every entry in the in-game encyclopedia of every game they make has the exact same snarky, irreverent, utterly insufferable tone.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

It was like all the worst things about Sierra adventure games but with random bad FMVs and absolutely terrible (even for the time) controls.

My favorite part of the FMVs was that they were so obviously shot off-season with like no makeup or hair budget. Everyone is weirdly tan because they probably came in from vacationing. Except Matt Perry who looks pale as a ghost in comparison and has that half-combed mad scientist hair. I wonder why!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

See also: Ubisoft, where every entry in the in-game encyclopedia of every game they make has the exact same snarky, irreverent, utterly insufferable tone.

Ubisoft has so many employees, though. I wonder if there's just buildings, floors and hallways packed with snarky fact writers.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Danger Mahoney posted:

My favorite part of the FMVs was that they were so obviously shot off-season with like no makeup or hair budget. Everyone is weirdly tan because they probably came in from vacationing. Except Matt Perry who looks pale as a ghost in comparison and has that half-combed mad scientist hair. I wonder why!

Ross doesn't actually talk much in most of them, with his back turned to the camera, because David Schwimmer was actually not present for anything that wasn't an active line of his. That's why the Ross/Joey scenes seem unnatural, Matt LeBlanc would be talking to the boom operator who was just a tall brunette with short hair, and it'd cut over to Schwimmer in a slight close-up from a different day's shooting.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Re: the Ubisoft codexes: I liked the encyclopedia of Far Cry 4, which was a guidebook written by the Juche-style bad guy government, so it's full of "facts" like the the army's guard dogs never having actually been trained but instead were inspired by love of King Min's righteous rule to guard the army's outposts of their own accord, or the snow leopard being so beautiful that its majesty sometimes rivals even that of King Min himself, and so if you see one you are instructed to shoot it on sight.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

TomViolence posted:

Even if you're going for a grimdark, harrowing Blood Meridian style slog of a storyline you kind of need to have moments of levity, otherwise it becomes absurd in it's own self-serious way. Even people dying of dysentry in a rain-soaked trench crack jokes occasionally.

Silent Hill 2: "There's monsters everywhere in this town! How can you just sit there and eat pizza!?"

I think that's the sort of stuff that humanizes games the most. People ARE idiots and do irrational stuff all the time, regardless of their situation.

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Mar 12, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Re: the Ubisoft codexes: I liked the encyclopedia of Far Cry 4, which was a guidebook written by the Juche-style bad guy government, so it's full of "facts" like the the army's guard dogs never having actually been trained but instead were inspired by love of King Min's righteous rule to guard the army's outposts of their own accord, or the snow leopard being so beautiful that its majesty sometimes rivals even that of King Min himself, and so if you see one you are instructed to shoot it on sight.

Most probably find it annoying but I'm still amused at Rabi Ray Rana's awkward one sided conversation continuations when you accept a propaganda center quest.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kanfy posted:

I think it was the first WoW one too, from 12 years ago.

God drat it, I feel old. :(

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I cracked open my copy of the Witcher 3 yesterday, and the first thing that you see when opening the game is a thank you note from CD Projekt Red saying thank you for buying the game; that also outlines their philosophy in regards to DLC and patches (I.e. it should be free to all players).

It's nice to see developers being earnest and appreciative of their customers. It almost makes me want to go out and buy more of their games just because of it. :3:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

umalt posted:

I cracked open my copy of the Witcher 3 yesterday, and the first thing that you see when opening the game is a thank you note from CD Projekt Red saying thank you for buying the game; that also outlines their philosophy in regards to DLC and patches (I.e. it should be free to all players).

It's nice to see developers being earnest and appreciative of their customers. It almost makes me want to go out and buy more of their games just because of it. :3:

They're not. The developers have one of the worst ratings on job sites for not paying their employees, ripping people off and being a horrible place to work. They even wait weeks to months to pay people because they wait until the exchange rates are in their favour.

https://www.glassdoor.ca/Reviews/CD-Projekt-RED-Reviews-E644250.htm

It's unfortunate too since they seem to be really pro-player, then turn around and poo poo on all their staff.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Most of the complaints seem to be made by people not realizing that their workplace is in loving Poland.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Xoidanor posted:

Most of the complaints seem to be made by people not realizing that their workplace is in loving Poland.

So? How does being in a second world country relate to a poo poo employer-employee relationship?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Xoidanor posted:

I work in external QA in Warsaw and it seems we're still paid better than CD Projekt QA. Not by much, but still a fair bit above minimum wage, which one of these reviews specifically mentions. Living in Poland is no excuse for treating your employees like poo poo, and CD Projekt in particular should really know better. :ussr:

Content: in Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, any Pokemon you complete a quest for can join your party. But sometimes you can just talk to a 'mon chilling in a town, they thank you for taking the time to talk with you, and you make a new friend just like that. :3: This happens even with some strong ones, I think I got a Blaziken this way.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

So? How does being in a second world country relate to a poo poo employer-employee relationship?

It's a publicly listed polish company. Management being poo poo isn't surprising, it's to be expected.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 is filled with little things that, as a fan of the original tower-defense games, has kept me grinning from ear to ear. Rather than go into just what I like, I'll settle on one thing that surprised me:

The artistic density in the zones (I'm speaking mostly of the hub level overworld filled with sidequests) is amazing, with everything filled with visual details. For example, on the plant side of the hub world, it could've been easy to copy-paste the generic human houses that dot the back end, where players don't really spend a lot of time. Each one is uniquely designed and feel unique The place where the Imp Zombies live is impressively cluttered with kid-size toys and walls making the building look like a tiny apartment building. The Superhero Zombie's home is a beautiful recreation of the Fortress of Solitude from the old Superman films. Random in-universe ads and billboards are all clever as poo poo.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
There are a lot of little things I like in The Division, but I've found the one I am really appreciating is how it handles multiple monitors.

So you can modify your UI however you see fit, add or remove elements and so on, and if you have multiple monitors you can make one screen your "game area" and the other screen have all your HUD info/UI. It adjusts easily to 3 monitors too.

I have not bothered with any of that. I've found the default HUD to be pretty great, and although I have 2 monitors, I'm happy playing on just the one.

What I'm loving, however, is that if I bring up the menu/inventory/map screen, my mouse can seamlessly interact with both the game and go across to the other screen and interact with the desktop/other programs without The Division minimizing or going into window mode.

So I can easily browse forums/read poo poo/watch youtubes etc during load screens or while chilling at a safehouse waiting for group members or whatever, while still being "in-game" and able to see what is going on, invaluable in a multiplayer game.

I love this so much I wish that every game allowed it. Every other game I've played you have to alt/tab and minimize in order to interact with anything other than the game, then wait for the game to maximize again before being able to play. The Divisions way is loving seamless and I love it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A lot of games these days do have that, it's called Borderless Windowed mode. Some games, like most MMO's and The Division and games that run on certain engines (id Tech 5, the RAGE engine for example), use it by default. There are a number of external programs that let you do it to games that don't have it as an option, as well.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

CJacobs posted:

A lot of games these days do have that, it's called Borderless Windowed mode. Some games, like most MMO's and The Division and games that run on certain engines (id Tech 5, the RAGE engine for example), use it by default. There are a number of external programs that let you do it to games that don't have it as an option, as well.

Motherfucker!

You have changed my life.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've yet to find a game that didn't work better in borderless windowed than it did in fullscreen. I'm not sure why borderless windowed isn't the default more often.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

princecoo posted:

Motherfucker!

You have changed my life.

The future is now, my man. :pcgaming:

edit: aww, the :pcgaming: emote got removed. It was probably giving people seizures, however, so it might have been a good decision.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Digirat posted:

I've yet to find a game that didn't work better in borderless windowed than it did in fullscreen. I'm not sure why borderless windowed isn't the default more often.

You can run into microstuttering and other performance issues with windowed modes compared to fullscreen quite often, unfortunately.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

princecoo posted:

So you can modify your UI however you see fit, add or remove elements and so on, and if you have multiple monitors you can make one screen your "game area" and the other screen have all your HUD info/UI. It adjusts easily to 3 monitors too.

That's pretty awesome.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Edit: wrong thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Digirat posted:

Some games that use window edges for movement, RTS mostly, don't play well with multiple monitors and full screen.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

The future is now, my man. :pcgaming:

edit: aww, the :pcgaming: emote got removed. It was probably giving people seizures, however, so it might have been a good decision.

:pcgaming: is still in the smilie library, and it pops up in post preview, so this is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I wasn't seeing it earlier on mobile but I'm definitely seeing it on desktop now.