Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I have just learned from this thread that you only need to insert your card once to have the chip read. Every time I have been in a shop recently the person in front of me had to insert it thrice as if kowtowing to the Son of Heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looking good Gerald Ford!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Can we go back to how there's a trend in American public schools not having doors on bathroom stalls? Whatever, basically this is why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYhGi65Lijg

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
In Canada Chip Cards came out in the last 5 years or so.

Prior, it was swipe card, instantly select Checking or Savings, instantly type PIN, then APPROVED and go.

Now with Chip and Pin:

Insert card, processing, checking or savings? processing, Insert PIN processing, authorizing, PIN OKAY DO NOT REMOVE CARD, authorizing. Remove Card.

It triples/quadruples the time you spend waiting at the machine.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

D C posted:

In Canada Chip Cards came out in the last 5 years or so.

Prior, it was swipe card, instantly select Checking or Savings, instantly type PIN, then APPROVED and go.

Now with Chip and Pin:

Insert card, processing, checking or savings? processing, Insert PIN processing, authorizing, PIN OKAY DO NOT REMOVE CARD, authorizing. Remove Card.

It triples/quadruples the time you spend waiting at the machine.

It's more than that because the old people in line in front of you can't handle it and keep trying to swipe the chip as they get more and more angry and start shaking and yelling at the clerk.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That reminds of when Australia got rid of 1¢ and 2¢ pieces back in the early 90s. About two years after they were phased, out I heard some old fart ranting at a clerk in Footscray that they wouldn't accept all his old copper and he had apparently avoided ever hearing that the small coins had been phased out.

Quarter of a century later and old people still manage to be utterly loving clueless.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I haven't had a ton of trouble with the chip cards, since in my area so far only Trader Joe's and CVS have them hooked up.

I do constantly get aggravated at the card readers at Walmart and Speedway, though. Typically, you swipe, and the reader should ask you if you want credit or debit. Except at Walmart and Speedway, where you have to wait until it asks for your PIN, then hit the red "cancel" button, and choose credit.

It just seems like a needlessly confusing setup. I like using credit because it doesn't affect the daily withdrawal limit imposed by most banks, but debit does. Sometimes I want to buy some pot and need to hit the atm, and my bank only lets you have a total of $500 withdrawn between atm transactions and debit purchases a day.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Just binged through 29 pages of this thread. It was a wild ride with all the bad intersections, toilets, and USB connectors. It could use a few more pictures and less apple vs. android, but I'll give it the 5 it deserves.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

Except at Walmart and Speedway, where you have to wait until it asks for your PIN, then hit the red "cancel" button, and choose credit.

Credit costs them more in processing fees, gently caress your user experience.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
some toilets can be more confusing than others
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQthwyF2LqY

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait are you saying that the act of insert card, select account, type in PIN and press enter then wait five seconds and remove card is somehow 5x longer than swipe card

Yes using the chip reader takes 5x as long as swiping at least (assuming it connects quickly once youve inserted the chip end, if not then it can take much longer). God help you if you accidentally remove your card too soon because every chip reader behaves slightly differently whereas basically every swipe scanner works and feels exactly the same plus is instantaneous...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All I can say to Americans is sorry your country has such a stupid hosed up EFTPOS system. Hopefully, one day you will join the rest of us with fast, easy and secure transactions.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37...12!8i6656?hl=en

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Gorilla Salad posted:

All I can say to Americans is sorry your country has such a stupid hosed up EFTPOS system. Hopefully, one day you will join the rest of us with fast, easy and secure transactions.

hahahaha don't act so loving smug.
In a decades time when the rest of the world is on Gigabit fibre connections, we're still going to be getting our internet over old copper phone lines :saddowns:

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

wayne curr posted:

In a decades time when the rest of the world is on Gigabit fibre connections, we're still going to be getting our internet over old copper phone lines :saddowns:

I fucken reckon!

I was at the dentist this arvo and because of the stupid hicaps network it took a swipe of the health fund card, then wait to sign that receipt, then insert the lovely chip card and enter then pin, then stand about waiting for that to dial in. The terminal even displays the dialling process plus processing process.

Australia is agile as my gran's hip.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

fliptophead posted:

I fucken reckon!

I was at the dentist this arvo and because of the stupid hicaps network it took a swipe of the health fund card, then wait to sign that receipt, then insert the lovely chip card and enter then pin, then stand about waiting for that to dial in. The terminal even displays the dialling process plus processing process.

Australia is agile as my gran's hip.

Hicaps is a nostalgic trip back to the mid 90s...I expect a modem song

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

wayne curr posted:

And yet our repeatedly sabotaged, incredibly lovely, national broadband network still somehow works better in the specific case of EFTPOS transactions than what people in this thread have described happens in the US .

Also, the way in which we use our cards is much more secure. No signatures, PIN only, all new cards chipped.

Seriously, did you even read what people were actually talking about?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Adix posted:

Credit costs them more in processing fees, gently caress your user experience.

Credit gives me better cash back rewards and fraud protection, gently caress your processing fees.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

criscodisco posted:

I haven't had a ton of trouble with the chip cards, since in my area so far only Trader Joe's and CVS have them hooked up.

I do constantly get aggravated at the card readers at Walmart and Speedway, though. Typically, you swipe, and the reader should ask you if you want credit or debit. Except at Walmart and Speedway, where you have to wait until it asks for your PIN, then hit the red "cancel" button, and choose credit.

In other countries you have to use a pin for credit cards too. Sad really

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
They should just make you drow trou and stamp the receipt with your brown star. That shits gotta be impossible to fake.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

had never seen that chip card thing until i went into a cvs in san antonio this past week. felt like a dumbass when i swiped i'm like wtf insert the card?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Uthor posted:

Credit gives me better cash back rewards and fraud protection, gently caress your processing fees.
Credit processing fees are usually lower than debit. Businesses also pay a discounted rate for chipped card transactions and a number of other things.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Gorilla Salad posted:

Thanks for smugging about bad design in the bad design thread.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SLOSifl posted:

Credit processing fees are usually lower than debit. Businesses also pay a discounted rate for chipped card transactions and a number of other things.

Credit fees are lower? Lol dumbass

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

SLOSifl posted:

First time I've heard this. I've heard debt is like 25c a pop, credit is that + 1-3%.

naem
May 29, 2011

Welcome to Walgreens are you a reward card memeber please enter your phone number

Allow me to tear off all these coupons attached to the stuff you are buying and scan them

Please swipe your card

Oh I'm sorry sir it says you have to use your card as an atm please swipe again and type your pin

Now enter your zip code

Whoops you have to re enter your rewards card member phone number again

Would you like cash back with that today?

Oh I'm sorry I the cashier didn't press a button to enter your rewards card number to apply the savings to your purchase could you please re-enter your phone number otherwise it costs like $7 dollars more

Ok now swipe again

Sir it says you have to use your card as an atm yes we already did this no it doesn't make sense ok enter your pin

Would you like to take a short survey about our customer service you will get 4 reward points for your reward card member discount if you get enough reward point you get a coupon for a free package of white Hanes brand tshirts which would allow you to avoid doing laundry for up to three more days you sack of poo poo

Ok sir please enter your zip coade

Now your pin code

Are you a rewards card member id like to discuss savings please enters your rewards card phone number sir

Ok that will be $138.42 here are your plastic razors and shampoo and chewing gum and also 437 small pieces of paper with the words REWARD on them to take home and scatter about your studio apartment

Please come to Walgreens again and feel free to duck your head nervously as the door alarm thing goes off and our 9 foot tall guy with prison tattoos who stands by the door glares at you as you gesture at yourself as if to say "am I good? Haha It's ok I can go that's not me?"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
why would you shop at walgreens

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Slugnoid posted:

some toilets can be more confusing than others
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQthwyF2LqY

I know at least one person that has done the reverse and pissed in the sink due to excessively trendy bathroom design.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I know at least one person that has done the reverse and pissed in the sink due to excessively trendy bathroom design.

Toilet, urinal and sink from the Bob's Burgers bathroom redesign.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when we had this business thing in dc we had an after party at this hotel and you had to stand like a foot from the urinals and there were no dividers so if you even slightly looked over you'd just see the dude's with their dongs out. wasn't a trough either it was loving bizarre.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

when we had this business thing in dc we had an after party at this hotel and you had to stand like a foot from the urinals and there were no dividers so if you even slightly looked over you'd just see the dude's with their dongs out. wasn't a trough either it was loving bizarre.

this thread is supposed to be about bad designs, not fabulous ones

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My PS3 manages to annoy me because it seems designed to make the controller I don't want to use be the player 1 controller. I have the normal controller plugged in and use that, and like to have a second controller plugged in to the second slot (usually one with a cord or a third party with a remote sensor in the second slot). Yet every time I switch on the PS3, using the normal controller, it always assigns the player 1 slot to the second controller, so if I need to be in the player 1 slot (as many player games insist on) I have to go through a couple of menus to reassign my controller to player 1. Purely an idiotic design choice made by an unknown idiot, isn't it obvious that if I use a specific controller to switch on the PS3, and plug the second controller into the second port, that I want my controller to be the first?!

I doubt it will be a problem with the PS4 though, since two player games are a thing of the past.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Squalitude posted:

I doubt it will be a problem with the PS4 though, since two player games are a thing of the past.

As an owner of a PS4, believe it or not it is in fact still a problem. On the PS4 you have to hold down the PS button on a controller to turn on the console, and it will assign whichever controller you start with as player 1, as it should. But then you have to pick a profile to assign to that controller; and if your player 1 isn't the owner of the console (i.e. someone other than you who wants to log into their profile) then you have to swap controllers with them because it downloads save data etc from whichever profile is loaded by player 1.

So if you and your buddy have both recently played Call of Whatever, you have to make sure that controller 1 ends up as whoever's save data you want to be able to load when you're in the game. This would be very easily solved by the game just asking you whose data you want to load when you start it up, but that'd require effort on the developers' part and videogame devs these days do not like expending effort when they could just make the player do it instead.

The power of ~THE CLOUD~ is in your hands! But only sort of.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 12, 2016

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Sorry for the crap pic

Refrigerators that have fruit/vegetable crisper drawers at the bottom of the fridge. The bottom of the fridge is where you store raw meat. It is the only place you should store raw meat in any type of refrigerator. They are an odd shape that does not accommodate large butcher wrapped packs of raw meat.

This is so loving stupid and I saw it in a new model while appliance shopping.

edit: grammar

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

HAmbONE posted:

Refrigerators that have fruit/vegetable crisper drawers at the bottom of the fridge. The bottom of the fridge is where you store raw meat. It is the only place you should store raw meat in any type of refrigerator. They are an odd shape that does not accommodate large butcher wrapped packs of raw meat.

I have literally never seen a fridge (except like drinks fridges) that didn't have a drawer at the bottom and have never heard anything about it being an absolute necessity to store raw meat exclusively at the bottom.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Storing raw meat at the bottom is actually a safety thing to prevent cross contamination. It's required as a part of safety inspections and for health certifications for restaurants even.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I have literally never seen a fridge (except like drinks fridges) that didn't have a drawer at the bottom and have never heard anything about it being an absolute necessity to store raw meat exclusively at the bottom.

If it's on some kind of plate like those styrofoam ones ground meat usually comes on then it's probably fine, but generally you don't want to put raw meat/chicken/etc near the top because it could drip down onto stuff that you don't cook before you eat. Cooking meat/chicken/etc gets rid of the bacteria in the juices but if it lands on something you don't cook then you could eat it and get sick (and/or it would taste gross because now it's got nasty chicken juice in it).

edit: I know this because I worked in a kitchen for a period and there was a diagram on the freezer that listed what vertical order to pack stuff in and why, complete with big red exclamation points and skulls and poo poo.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

CJacobs posted:

If it's on some kind of plate like those styrofoam ones ground meat usually comes on then it's probably fine, but generally you don't want to put raw meat/chicken/etc near the top because it could drip down onto stuff that you don't cook before you eat. Cooking meat/chicken/etc gets rid of the bacteria in the juices but if it lands on something you don't cook then you could eat it and get sick (and/or it would taste gross because now it's got nasty chicken juice in it).

Oh right I see. Thinking about it I can't remember ever getting meat that wasn't protected by plastic in some way so this never occurred to me. And also every fridge I've owned had solid shelves instead of racks so dripping wouldn't have been an issue anyway.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

HAmbONE posted:

Sorry for the crap pic

This is so loving stupid and I saw it in a new model while appliance shopping.

edit: grammar

That doesn't look that bad for a fridge with a ice maker in the freezer. I bet it costs around 1000-1500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Knyteguy posted:

this thread is supposed to be about bad designs, not fabulous ones

we got a pecker peeper here folks.

HAmbONE posted:

Refrigerators that have fruit/vegetable crisper drawers at the bottom of the fridge.

huh this is how every fridge i've ever seen is.

• Locked thread