Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Jesto posted:

I gave the ??HMTGF?? to the wizard as a test, then closed the game. He treated it as if it were his favorite item, like Light/Void Essence. I wonder if it's a universally 'favorite' item for all villagers?

Just looked it up - just wizard! Some weird stuff going on here. (this will kinda spoil some of wizard's likes if that bothers you so I'm spoiler tagging it...?)

Every item has a numerical value to it that the game references. For instance: one of the universal loves is prismatic shard, which is item number 74.

??HMTGF?? has an item value of 155, and is listed as a craftable object (data/BigCraftablesInformation.xnb if you want to see it yourself). What's interesting is that that is also the item value for Prehistoric Tool (data/ObjectInformation.xnb)

If I had to guess, I'd say ??HMTGF?? is being treated as a Super Cucumber by the game, because it's just looking for that 155 value. I can't say for sure, and it's entirely possible I'm misinterpreting this data, but it seems to match.

edit: Just checked solar/void essence to make sure I'm reading this right, and they have item values of 768 and 769, which matches the love data in data/NPCGiftTastes.xnb, so I'm pretty confident I'm reading this right. I'm sure people figured this out a week ago, but I haven't really followed it.

Long story short, if I'm reading all of this right, the game thinks ??HMTGF?? is a completely different item, at least for some events.

edit: No actually, I think I'm completely wrong. There's more overlapping poo poo than I thought. At most, this would only apply to gifts. (I also looked up the wrong item initially)

Alakaiser fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 12, 2016

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Coolguye posted:

The most direct way is as a rare drop from any monster in the mines - it is an artifact drop from them. That said you are looking at like a .3% chance so :xcom:

Speaking of :xcom: I've gotten a lot of Dwarf Scroll 3's but never any 4's, so I'm stuck with 75% of a language but can't communciate at all. I don't really need anything from the mines, not low on any ores, but I keep going there hoping to get that.

Is there a particular monster that's good to farm for that? The wiki says it drops from any monster in the mines, so it seems like I'd be best off going to a low-number floor with easy enemies and just whaling away on them, like the floors with lots of the bugs that turn into flying bugs, or to head to the middle of the mine and kill the little bouncing coal sprites.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

NowonSA posted:

Speaking of :xcom: I've gotten a lot of Dwarf Scroll 3's but never any 4's, so I'm stuck with 75% of a language but can't communciate at all. I don't really need anything from the mines, not low on any ores, but I keep going there hoping to get that.

Is there a particular monster that's good to farm for that? The wiki says it drops from any monster in the mines, so it seems like I'd be best off going to a low-number floor with easy enemies and just whaling away on them, like the floors with lots of the bugs that turn into flying bugs, or to head to the middle of the mine and kill the little bouncing coal sprites.

Scrolls also pop from hoeing the sandy parts. I'd try that.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

The witch changed all of my slimes into black ones, is there anything special about these?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mountaineer posted:

Yes, both backpack upgrades should be priorities, and chests are craftable right from the start with 50 wood. Other than that, take it easy and do whatever you want.

I do recommend spoiling yourself on what the level 5 and 10 skill choices are so you can make informed decisions. Some of the bonuses are pretty lame right now, but hopefully they'll get balanced in a future patch.

Is there a good guide to which skill choices are better?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sykic posted:

The witch changed all of my slimes into black ones, is there anything special about these?

Higher chance of dropping Iridium Ore.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Is there any good video LP's of this game? I mean good in the sense that the person understands the mechanics fairly well and isn't just charging in with both barrels loaded with dick jokes and YouTube superstardom in their sights?

Specifically unlike a Markiplier, Garm Gramps etc.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Day9 is ok to watch.

http://youtu.be/N5HUxib1WdE

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Met posted:

I'm almost done with year two and I have no need to sell fish anymore. It would be most convenient if I stopped catching trash in my crab pots.

Not needing to bait isn't all that great. I have a few bait generating boxes.

Yeah, I took the fishing bonus at level 5 because crab pots are bad and fishing is good, but once you get a few iridium sprinklers set up any income from fishing will pale in comparison to crops so the crab pot bonus is probably better just for the time saving factor.

The bait generating boxes also seem like a waste of time unless they generate like 25 per day or something, 200 bait is 1000g from Willy.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The no-bait perk sucks because it makes it super-easy to accidentally pick up the crab pot you just set down. :argh:

You can bait/harvest them by left clicking which I'm pretty sure won't pick up an empty one.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

I just clicked around his videos for literally less than a minute, into a random place in his part 4 video, and he kills a super-early monster and gets a Dwarf Scroll IV. It happens just under 30 minutes in. On day 11 of the first spring.

I AM FULL OF RAGE.

Definitely going to be taking my golden hoe to all that dirt though, hopefully I'll get lucky.

Bait boxes are mostly a waste of time, bait's cheap and you get a lot of it from bug meat. I got a few for the novelty though, I fish rarely enough that I should never have to buy or make it again. I think crab pot bonus is the way to go too, but then I don't fish all that much myself so I figured I'd be better off boosting the 6 pots I leave by the blacksmith and almost never harvest or re-bait.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 12, 2016

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Can I catch Catfish during winter? I've seen some guides say snowing, some say raining. I'm trying for them in the water right outside the mine; I don't know if that counts as a lake or river.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

Can I catch Catfish during winter? I've seen some guides say snowing, some say raining. I'm trying for them in the water right outside the mine; I don't know if that counts as a lake or river.

That's a lake. And I don't think so, I think catfish are spring/summer.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Harmburger posted:

That's a lake. And I don't think so, I think catfish are spring/summer.

Thanks; I'll wait for spring to roll around.

It sounds like signing up for a Joja membership is a bad thing, since they'd take over the Community Center, but is that really the case? Should I have dropped the 5k by now?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ville Valo posted:

Thanks; I'll wait for spring to roll around.

It sounds like signing up for a Joja membership is a bad thing, since they'd take over the Community Center, but is that really the case? Should I have dropped the 5k by now?

With Joja you just pay cash for all the community improvements, like the Greenhouse, minecart, bus etc.
Costly, but as a Blueberry/Cranberry baron it is easy to accomplish.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

day9 is cool and all but holy gently caress is he not a person I would file under 'competent' for this game

he did pretty well with the witness though.... mostly (a few notoriously bad sections like where he spent an hour thinking he could interact with some random rear end logs that are obviously part of the scenery)

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

So can you just take your time to learn stuff in this game or will making the wrong decisions early on doom you to failure?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
There really is no failure in the game. Poor decisions will slow your progress, sure, but you can't really 'lose.'

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Gildiss posted:

With Joja you just pay cash for all the community improvements, like the Greenhouse, minecart, bus etc.
Costly, but as a Blueberry/Cranberry baron it is easy to accomplish.

Yep, if you do the Joja Membership route the only thing you lose out on is the bulletin board community center bundles, which is a relationship booster. Not to be confused with the Notice Board outside of Pierre's Shop.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Right here is when I ended my game but it's also the current problem with stardew valley.

Once you get to this point there's just nothing to do with the money.

There needs to be much buying/equipment tiers then there is now. I want to be able to buy a super deluxe tractor for 1 million G. I should be able to have even more house expansions for a few million. That list could go on and on. Right now the only thing I can do with the money is buy prosperity statues. Because there's no reason to keep working on creating income this the point the game pretty much ends. The only option now is to start a new game. I'm hoping in the future higher equipment tiers are added so I can keep building up and up.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 12, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Haha welp, Penny took the kids on their forest study picnic in the rain :).

(haven't even seen the six heart scene yet, went straight from six to nine with a birthday gift :stare: )

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 12, 2016

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has anyone else seen an item with 0g cost that says ERROR ITEM? It has a bread graphic as the icon.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Everyone was all "lol noooope" when I asked them to dance at the Flower festival. My guy just kind of shuffled to the back and stared. He said it was fun at the end but I'm not sure who he's trying to fool.

Had my first 2 AM blackout as well, coming home from the mine. Those aggressive flying bugs are a huge time sink. Passed out feet from my house. What a lightweight. Would like to know who in town mugged me.

Aaaand that's a wrap on my first spring. I managed to upgrade my watering can and pickaxe, and have enough to build a silo finally. Feels like progress even though my crops are wiped out. I didn't bother planting anything new near the end of spring anyway and just used those as mining days.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DropsySufferer posted:

Right here is when I ended my game but it's also the current problem with stardew valley.

I'm not sure 'the game is not literally infinite' is a problem as such. How many hours have you played?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'll uhhh, I'll just show myself out then :yikes:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I now have an adult pig with only 9 days left in Fall and I'd like a few truffles. How does that work? Do I just have to leave the gate open so they hang out outside during the day? Do I loot the truffle from the pig? In the barn? In the field?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Met posted:

I now have an adult pig with only 9 days left in Fall and I'd like a few truffles. How does that work? Do I just have to leave the gate open so they hang out outside during the day? Do I loot the truffle from the pig? In the barn? In the field?

You do have to let pigs out for them to find truffles, they just spawn on the ground near the pig, and they make the same "pop" noise as any other item being generated, which is audible if you're anywhere outside on the farm when it happens.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

DropsySufferer posted:

There needs to be much buying/equipment tiers then there is now. I want to be able to buy a super deluxe tractor for 1 million G. I should be able to have even more house expansions for a few million. That list could go on and on. Right now the only thing I can do with the money is buy prosperity statues. Because there's no reason to keep working on creating income this the point the game pretty much ends. The only option now is to start a new game. I'm hoping in the future higher equipment tiers are added so I can keep building up and up.

The best way to approach this is to have new farms available by bus travel, and you can hire the Stardew townsfolk to manage and maintain your various farm outposts.

Eventually at a certain point you gain enough income and a high enough variety of goods to establish a steady supply chain. From there, you can start shipping goods to warehouses you've built and start setting up shopping centers in the various towns. It would be cool if you could negotiate property values and buy people out of their homes so you could build more storage space or parking lots. You establish a brand identity and start driving business away from local shops.

Your spouse eventually leaves you and takes the children, because you're never at home and you drink a lot now. But they were just holding you back anyway. Most importantly, every day when you wake up you have to do a minigame that's kind of like fishing except it's a gun in your mouth, and if you fail then the game actually ends. Every day you succeed it lets you keep playing and making more money.

Anyway I think its a pretty good idea to extend the lifespan of the game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

m2pt5 posted:

You do have to let pigs out for them to find truffles, they just spawn on the ground near the pig, and they make the same "pop" noise as any other item being generated, which is audible if you're anywhere outside on the farm when it happens.

Do I have to be on the farm or can I just collect at the end of the day? Any heart requirements for it?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Do rabbits even have feet?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Kruller posted:

Do rabbits even have feet?

Yeah, and they don't like to part with them :v: I think I've only seen 1-2 per year per rabbit

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
We kill flying electrical catfish, why can't we just turn the sword against the rabbits and get their feet the old fashion way?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

DropsySufferer posted:

Once you get to this point there's just nothing to do with the money.

I haven't seen natural sunlight in weeks.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Daztek posted:

Yeah, and they don't like to part with them :v: I think I've only seen 1-2 per year per rabbit

The magic worked! Bitching about it got me one!

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Daztek posted:

They wouldn't be very lucky otherwise then, would they?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Met posted:

Do I have to be on the farm or can I just collect at the end of the day? Any heart requirements for it?

no requirements I think but you'll definitely not be getting one every day, I think having high hearts makes them more frequent, I did get 2 from a single pig one day tho

btw anyone happen to know what the event code for robin's 6 heart (i think) event is? the one where she gives you recipes for the flute and drum blocks. I seem to have missed the event

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DropsySufferer posted:

So... you got your fifteen bucks worth then?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If I miss Leah's art show does it appear the next day or am I screwed?

I quit right when I realized I missed it so it's not like I'm permanently screwed out of it if so.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Question about recipes: when I watch a cooking show and it says 'You learned how to cook XXX recipe,' does that information get saved somewhere automatically, or should I be writing down these recipes for when I get a kitchen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

If I miss Leah's art show does it appear the next day or am I screwed?

I quit right when I realized I missed it so it's not like I'm permanently screwed out of it if so.

All events like that just rollover to the next available day for it.

literally this big posted:

Question about recipes: when I watch a cooking show and it says 'You learned how to cook XXX recipe,' does that information get saved somewhere automatically, or should I be writing down these recipes for when I get a kitchen?

It doesn't even tell you the recipe in the show. Use your kitchen, the recipes you know will be listed there.