Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Smythe posted:

my Nexus 4 worked just as well on the day I retired it as the day I bought it. My windows Desktop is insanely powerful and has literally never had a single problem from the time I first powered it on until now. I've never needed to "restore" or "janitor" any of the consumer electronics in my life because I use the best (Nexus phones, beastly Windows rig) and use them as intended. Apple computers and gadgets fail on their own accord and break down in strange linux-y ways on their own volition constantly. You live a Janitor heavy life and are really, seriously, deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

Equally valid anecdotal counterpoint: My nexus 5 has been pretty consistently poo poo forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

windows 10 is good

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

El Mero Mero posted:

Equally valid anecdotal counterpoint: My nexus 5 has been pretty consistently poo poo forever.

my nexus 5 has been pretty good.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Wheany posted:

my nexus 5 has been pretty good.

its bad

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i was pleasantly surprised that google decided to release the latest android for it, they used to support phones only for 18 months or something, which was garbage

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

Smythe posted:

You a Fellow Creative? *leans back in eames lounger in stark white studio* Welcome. I've been working on some pieces inspired by the Vaporwave movement.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

It's good. You're bad.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

windows 10 is good

except unecessary if you have windows 7

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
someone post that chart that showed most android phones are obsolete on release and never get an update while iPhone are good for 4+ years

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zen death robot posted:

there's no reason not to update though

why fix what isn't broke?? imagine the hassle if any of my apps worked unlike how they do now.

plus how does one even upgrade to windwos 10

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Smythe posted:

He does.
:respek:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

zen death robot posted:

there's no reason not to update though

no, there's plenty of reasons. mostly that it's buggy trash and microsoft has given up any pretense of QA on the updates you can no longer avoid

windows 7 at least has the advantage of being consistent

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
they still served up plenty of broken updates on windows 7

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Maximum Leader posted:

they still served up plenty of broken updates on windows 7

absolutely. and even so, after seven years, it's basically stable and usable in a way that windows 10 is not.

upgrade or don't, no one cares. but windows 10 is still a buggy piece of trash that has no QA, so lets not pretend it isn't

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I have the pro edition but windows 10 is good and there are no ads or other bullshit

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
why would you use a phone that doesn't have imessage

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

sometimes my taskbar/start menu in windows 10 becomes frozen and unusable while it waits for one or more hard drives to spin up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

THC posted:

sometimes my taskbar/start menu in windows 10 becomes frozen and unusable while it waits for one or more hard drives to spin up

sometime this issue will persist indefinitely until you reboot or restart explorer

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

sometime this issue will persist indefinitely until you reboot or restart explorer

sounds like a good os to me

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
my main complaints about win10 are they took the computer, devices, control panel, etc off the start menu so it's harder to janitor, there's still the bizarre divide between settings and control panel and several things you can only do in one but not the other, and when it finds a new update it pops up full screen to tell you and you can't cancel, there is one butan and it opens windows update

but at least it's not 8

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can disable updates in usergroup settings, which is where that always should have been really. Anyway macos is loving fail. Name 1 thing an apple product can do over a chromebook besides be an extremely expensive piece of poo poo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Larry Parrish posted:

You can disable updates in usergroup settings, which is where that always should have been really. Anyway macos is loving fail. Name 1 thing an apple product can do over a chromebook besides be an extremely expensive piece of poo poo.

work

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm. No. They actually both employ the method of, every time something goes wrong you just reinstall the OS and Google/Apple re-downloads whatever you don't just keep in the cloud. Not that anything goes wrong. Cant say I've ever installed an update and had Chrome stop working

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I saw a video earlier today of teens attempting to use a Windows 95 pc and they all got bored waiting 5 minutes for it to load up after they finally figured out how to turn it on in the first place. really makes you think

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i could spend HOURS in ms paint on windows 95 while my dad fought with my mom

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
l
m
a
o

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://vine.co/v/Mv2ll9AlKv7

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

https://vine.co/v/huHUPLnx1dg

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
right click start to open your computer janitor tools and lol if u have an actual physical hard drive that needs to spin up in tyool 2016

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol i forgot this happened

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

apple is sending me a reminder every day that my icloud storage is almost full. i dont care, any way to get them to stop reminding me?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

pay $1 a month for 50GB icloud storage

or delete and disable icloud device backups and icloud photo library

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

THC posted:

yeah every email says i can just upgrade. nice telemarketer tactics tim.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

THC posted:

delete and disable icloud

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

THC posted:

wish I could pay by the year, the "hey we're going to bill you $3" messages are annoying

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

its well worth the $1 just for photo library imo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what's law enforcement having total access to your dick pics worth?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

nothing to me because I don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, you're one of those "as long as you have nothing to hide,why do you care" folks

• Locked thread