Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Magres posted:

If people are interested, I'm planning on doing a teaching raid on Sunday at 6pm PST to teach people Spirit Vale. Only hard requirement I have is that people wear low/zero Toughness gear if they're not the tank. It's a mechanical necessity. If you don't have a low toughness set of armor, grab some exotic Berserker gear for power DPS, Sinister if you're condi (Viper is ideal but is annoying to get), or Magi's if you're healing.

Sign me up, chief!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
A few tips for staff tempest/vale guardian.

You will rarely have to dodge blue circles because you won't be in a melee clump of players and you can keep moving so you'll always have spare energy to dodge for other situations.

There's no benefit to waiting inside a green circle for the full duration, you will most likely want to be near-ish just for druid hugs. You can wait nearby a green circle/lit up section for blue circle prevention and just dodge into the green circle when it's time. This also helps when there are seekers near a green circle.

You need to play way more conservatively during splits if you are out of your colour attunement (Eg: when the group goes from blue to green). The guardian's aura will hit you for ~5k+ each pulse, so you cannot really afford to be hit by additional damage like cleave or lightning bolts. You'll still most likely want your heal/water attune+overload, rebound, aura heal and to make solid eye contact with the druid.

In general for raids I've taken to using the free marauders stat amulet from HOT story achievements and switch stats on my staff to marauders with the rest berzerker stats. The damage loss isn't that much for a few nerd reasons but your survivability is so much higher with even just those two pieces.

I'm far from good on ele but know the fight well enough and I played staff tempest for the first time on Vale Guardian this week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASoahbICKOE

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Is there a HoT Mastery progression that's recommended? I've got Updrafts and Bouncing Mushrooms mastered and now I'm doing Itzel Language because it's a shorter track than the next Glider and because mushrooms but I'm at a bit of a loss overall.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

tyblazitar posted:

Pretty sure the numbers still say staff is slightly better than dagger/warhorn on Sabetha (and Burning Retreat is great if you're on a cannon), and even though it's not optimal on VG it has the advantage that you can go in green circles while still doing DPS.

Daggerhorn on Sab can hit 30k DPS (DPS Test vid) and it's terrifying

Imo VG is definitely a tossup between Staff and Daggerhorn, on Gorse staff is a clear winner, and on Sab there's nothing wrong with Staff if you really hate Daggerhorn, but that Daggerhorn is better. Sab's hitbox just isn't big enough to get Meteor Storm and Burning Retreat to hit her six ways from Sunday, though Burning Retreat is REALLY good for red bombs. Personally I just like Daggerhorn in general because I find Staff Tempest's rotation (camp fire, weave cooldowns between Lava Fonts) to be really boring because I like using lots of attunements (and with Fresh Air Daggerhorn the skill ceiling for optimal play is much higher than it is with Staff, and I like challenging myself to squeeze out more damage)

In general as far as like gear and builds and playing ~the meta~ goes, I don't really care what people play as long as we have fun. It's just worth noting that presumably people in the raid will want to clear bosses, and having a well optimized build and gear and such lend themselves to clearing bosses. Just don't feel obligated to play something you hate to get an extra 5% DPS out if you can play something you'll enjoy and do nearly as well - in the end how well you handle boss mechanics trumps almost everything (every boss in Spirit Vale can be cleared with 6 people if you are exceptionally good and have exceptionally good gear and builds), though keep in mind that stronger, more optimized builds lower the skill level needed to clear the boss. As in like that extra 5% DPS means you can play 5% worse, essentially. Raids are a combination of individual execution, team cohesion, gear, and builds. You can clear the raid with sub-optimal gear and builds (people have also cleared Vale Guardian without wearing any visible armor), but it means your team cohesion and individual skill need to be better.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 12, 2016

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

rantmo posted:

Is there a HoT Mastery progression that's recommended? I've got Updrafts and Bouncing Mushrooms mastered and now I'm doing Itzel Language because it's a shorter track than the next Glider and because mushrooms but I'm at a bit of a loss overall.

poison lore then get full gliding cause its cool

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

rantmo posted:

Those are the big two, imo. Blazing Speed Mushrooms is also really good in general but also for raids. Nuhoch Wallows is great if you're going to spend any time in Tangled Depths, but isn't as useful on the other maps. Now that you can glide in Central Tyria I'd say the gliding ones are probably a decent target as well.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 12, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I was curious how many games it might take to rank out of Ruby, so I made a little simulation to count the number of games by win probability. The results are kind of interesting if you look at the shift in rules as you advance in tiers and the result of win/loss streaks. The plateau at 500 games is because I capped it to avoid infinite loops.
tl;dr: If you can't manage >50% wins don't even bother

Code (R):
http://pastebin.com/AMTRaptW

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 12, 2016

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

D̷O̶N̴'̴T̷ ̸T̷O̷U̵C̷H̶ ̶M̷E̸

Magres posted:

Daggerhorn on Sab can hit 30k DPS (DPS Test vid) and it's terrifying

I wouldn't really put any stock in any of the DPS meters that are currently available, even including some of the memory readers. The combat log does not log all of the damage you do. If a source that does damage leaves or vanishes somehow, then the damage will cease showing in the log, even though it may still actually be doing damage. You can test this by going on a Ranger in Heart of the Mists, equipping a Lynx, using the special ability, and immediately swapping it. There will be bleeds doing damage, but the combat log won't display anything. The combat log also fails to track all damage done if there are a significant amount of hits. It just leaves them out for whatever reason. The scary part about all of this is that the combat logs (there are like 8 for some reason) stored in the game memory don't track this information either. The only way you can really calculate DPS is by decrypting packets or by reading enemy health and seeing how long you take to kill them (that's what Frifox's memory reader does). The JaxnX meter and GW2DPS / GW2Specs are also just poorly coded and deal with reading the log incredibly poorly. They have maps of the numbers 0-9 and look for particular colors, and all they can do is read numbers. I don't believe they take into consideration that the font in GW2 spaces characters differently depending on what characters are next to each other, among other problems. It can't create logs so you cannot verify it's accuracy with the combat log, and the way it handles DPS is idiotic to begin with. I wouldn't really use it as proof or verification for anything, especially considering that even if it was perfect, the combat log still isn't

That's not even getting into how the combat log is mostly client side, and that you can inject information into and remove information from it.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
If you're an ele on Sabetha you're most likely going to end up being put on cannon duty or flak baiting and staff will have less downtime when you are waiting for that bomb to get thrown for the second time.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Sprite141 posted:

ItBurns posted:

I wouldn't trust arus's advice on anything but printers. Download open hardware monitor and make sure that you're a) using your graphics card, b) not overheating, and c) not maxing out either your CPU or GPU and then throw money at it until it's fixed.

This is some pretty decent advice. I'll take a look into it when I get home.

Ok so I did this this morning. In a near empty zone gw2 was running fine, but it was using about 60% of each core. My gpu also capped out at about 60%, and this is with nothing else running after a fresh restart.

I did just learn that the random read/write on my 2 year old ssd has fallen dramatically. Apparently it was automatically disk defragging, and windows was automatically allocating 16gigs of it for virtual memory. Still it only measures about 19TB overall writes to it, and that shouldn't be a problem. Also my gpu is an old amd sapphire 7800. I think I need a new one anyway.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Ok so I did this this morning. In a near empty zone gw2 was running fine, but it was using about 60% of each core. My gpu also capped out at about 60%, and this is with nothing else running after a fresh restart.

I did just learn that the random read/write on my 2 year old ssd has fallen dramatically. Apparently it was automatically disk defragging, and windows was automatically allocating 16gigs of it for virtual memory. Still it only measures about 19TB overall writes to it, and that shouldn't be a problem. Also my gpu is an old amd sapphire 7800. I think I need a new one anyway.

Windows automatically detects most SSDs and enables TRIM/disables defrag, so I'm curious why yours didn't do that. And do not loving turn off your page file!!!!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Windows automatically detects most SSDs and enables TRIM/disables defrag, so I'm curious why yours didn't do that. And do not loving turn off your page file!!!!

It said it had trim enabled, but now I'm not sure. Defrag was disabled on my hdd but enabled my ssd for some loving reason. And yeah I turned off page file on my ssd, but enabled it on my hdd. Windows was automatically allocating 16gb to it every loving time. I also don't turn off my computer, I only put it in sleep mode (not hibernate). Would that do anything?

I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to an i7 too, but man the processor just can't be the bottleneck, it doesn't make sense. Does gw2 use nvidia physx? If you don't have an nvidia card it'll dump all that on your cpu instead of the gpu. Maybe sweetfx will help. I remember hearing how some of gw2's graphics options were poorly done. Like something about supersampling and the lighting, I dunno.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Sprite141 posted:

. Does gw2 use nvidia physx?

Ya, it uses it for slyvari boob physics.

km_
Nov 15, 2005
What hardware are you running?

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

It said it had trim enabled, but now I'm not sure. Defrag was disabled on my hdd but enabled my ssd for some loving reason. And yeah I turned off page file on my ssd, but enabled it on my hdd. Windows was automatically allocating 16gb to it every loving time. I also don't turn off my computer, I only put it in sleep mode (not hibernate). Would that do anything?

I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to an i7 too, but man the processor just can't be the bottleneck, it doesn't make sense. Does gw2 use nvidia physx? If you don't have an nvidia card it'll dump all that on your cpu instead of the gpu. Maybe sweetfx will help. I remember hearing how some of gw2's graphics options were poorly done. Like something about supersampling and the lighting, I dunno.

Have you checked your power options in the control panel? There are settings in there that can limit the maximum performance of your cpu and gpu. You should be using the High Performance option.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know when win10 came out, a bunch of Surface Pro users said it was defragging the internal SSDs. No idea if they ever fixed it, I assumed they did

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

On VG I think you should only play Staff Ele if you are assigned the green circle group. Otherwise play Dagger/Warhorn. You get more consistent might stacks/quickness, and higher Scholar Rune uptime. With VG moving all the time in phase 3/5, that makes Warhorn Air 5 stronger, in addition to making Lava Font much worse.

I can personally honk out about 25%-33% more DPS with D/Wh than staff on that fight.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sprite141 posted:

I did just learn that the random read/write on my 2 year old ssd has fallen dramatically.

Is it a Samsung 840 Evo? There's a known bug that seriously slows them down after a year or two, the newest firmware should fix it, and I think comes with a performance restoration tool.

Also how much free space are you keeping on it?

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

AnacondaHL posted:

On VG I think you should only play Staff Ele if you are assigned the green circle group. Otherwise play Dagger/Warhorn. You get more consistent might stacks/quickness, and higher Scholar Rune uptime. With VG moving all the time in phase 3/5, that makes Warhorn Air 5 stronger, in addition to making Lava Font much worse.

I can personally honk out about 25%-33% more DPS with D/Wh than staff on that fight.

But if you are an Ele you should probably be expecting to be put on green circles.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

shrach posted:

But if you are an Ele you should probably be expecting to be put on green circles.

Not really. People are starting to figure out that if you have less squishy classes on the circle group it's better overall, both in guild raids and PUG raids I've seen. Eles barely help with seeker control, and if they do help it trashes their DPS. It's better for everyone if you can just run Druid, Engi, Reaper, and x as the circle group and let the Eles honk it up.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

NapoleonAtWaterloo posted:

Ya, it uses it for slyvari boob physics.

:aaaaa:

km_ posted:

What hardware are you running?

Radeon sapphire hd 7800 2gb, I think? The processor is one of the haswell i5's. Ram is 16gb ddr2.

John Lightning posted:

Have you checked your power options in the control panel? There are settings in there that can limit the maximum performance of your cpu and gpu. You should be using the High Performance option.

Wait, those options affect my gpu and cpu without saying so? The poo poo. I'll fix that immediately.

Schpyder posted:

Is it a Samsung 840 Evo? There's a known bug that seriously slows them down after a year or two, the newest firmware should fix it, and I think comes with a performance restoration tool.

Also how much free space are you keeping on it?

It is. I found out yesterday there was a firmware upgrade for it, because samsung magician wasn't updated it always ran firmware checks that came back as no updates for some stupid loving reason. It's updated now, and I kept about 60gb free on it always. Now that I've switched my page filing to the hdd, there's 80 gb free on it. Hey maybe I should move kaspersky to the hdd too, for some reason it's 60gb in size.

Now I'm debating turning off windows restore because I've seen some sites recimmend that for ssds. That seems a bit risky though.

Edit:
I tried the performance tool on the updated samsung magician, and it said it won't work on windows 8 and above. Yet another reason why I should downgrade back to windows 7.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Not really. People are starting to figure out that if you have less squishy classes on the circle group it's better overall, both in guild raids and PUG raids I've seen. Eles barely help with seeker control, and if they do help it trashes their DPS. It's better for everyone if you can just run Druid, Engi, Reaper, and x as the circle group and let the Eles honk it up.

Yeah putting the glassiest glass cannon build in the game on green circle duty is not ideal in my experience. Eles can be really tough if you give them defensive stats and traits (ie pvp) but Ele raid DPS setups give you like 12k HP with little in the way of damage mitigation. The damage just from green circle finishing rips off like half my HP when I do wind up doing green circle.

Also, if you have your Eles pack Lightning Flash, they make excellent backup green circlers. The ability to flash across like 40% of the arena when our green circle group calls that someone went down has saved us more than once.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do not disable system restore

Why is your Kapersky AV install 60GB

I recommend a Mac for your next computer

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 13, 2016

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please don't recommend McDonald's.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

Radeon sapphire hd 7800 2gb, I think? The processor is one of the haswell i5's. Ram is 16gb ddr2.

Wait, those options affect my gpu and cpu without saying so? The poo poo. I'll fix that immediately.

It is. I found out yesterday there was a firmware upgrade for it, because samsung magician wasn't updated it always ran firmware checks that came back as no updates for some stupid loving reason. It's updated now, and I kept about 60gb free on it always. Now that I've switched my page filing to the hdd, there's 80 gb free on it. Hey maybe I should move kaspersky to the hdd too, for some reason it's 60gb in size.

Now I'm debating turning off windows restore because I've seen some sites recimmend that for ssds. That seems a bit risky though.

Edit:
I tried the performance tool on the updated samsung magician, and it said it won't work on windows 8 and above. Yet another reason why I should downgrade back to windows 7.

Yes make sure you are using the High Performance option in the Power Options. If you plan to make your own custom option make sure to start with the High Performance and customize from there, don't customize off the Balanced Option.

As Arus said you shouldn't turn off system restore. Also do not listen to random websites for SSD tips/tricks. It is recommended to leave ~20% of space free on your SSD. If you have any other SSD questions use the SSD Thread instead of random websites.

Don't use the the performance tool in the Magician software, you should only be using it for firmware updates and reading SMART status. You also shouldn't downgrade to Win 7, in fact you should probably just upgrade to Win 10 instead of using Win 8.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

Please don't recommend McDonald's.

But their fries.....

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

CLAM DOWN posted:

This doesn't sound like advice about printers

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
Okay, goons. I'm finally biting the bullet and getting Heart of Thorns. Think I'm gonna go for a Necromancer Reaper. The Internet says that condition builds are the way to go at the moment. Any advice?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah that's what I was saying, I'm not gonna disable windows recovery. Also Kaspersky being so big is just a thing, it's due to the program's tracing files or something, I'm taking a look into it.

And I cannot stand mac's operating system. I don't have a problem with computers Arus, I just had a few setbacks. Also I'm not used to owning an ssd.

John Lightning posted:

You also shouldn't downgrade to Win 7, in fact you should probably just upgrade to Win 10 instead of using Win 8.

Haha, yeah hell no. Like everything you said was good advice until you 360'd into this.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Okay, goons. I'm finally biting the bullet and getting Heart of Thorns. Think I'm gonna go for a Necromancer Reaper. The Internet says that condition builds are the way to go at the moment. Any advice?

Use the scepter and the trait that gives damage to the chill condition.

km_
Nov 15, 2005

Sprite141 posted:

Haswell architecture doesn't support DDR2.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Sprite141 posted:

Haha, yeah hell no. Like everything you said was good advice until you 360'd into this.

Why?

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

So you don't want a modern OS that will receive constant updates including security updates for the foreseeable future? Suit yourself but I'm pretty sure most of SH/SC will agree with me.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
:ducksiren: On account of Daylight Savings Time screwing with reset (and thus GOON guild missions) we'll be bumping back to 7PM PST so we don't conflict with guild missions :ducksiren:

Grab Discord if you don't want to use the browser version of it. Click this link to join the Discord server I made for us.

(Neither link is asurabutt, I promise)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sprite141 posted:

Windows 10 is better than 7 in literally every conceivable way.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Magres posted:

:ducksiren: On account of Daylight Savings Time screwing with reset (and thus GOON guild missions) we'll be bumping back to 7PM PST so we don't conflict with guild missions :ducksiren:
I hope my power comes back on in the next two hours :ohdear:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Schpyder posted:

He doesn't seem to really understand how computers work tbf

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Schpyder posted:

Actual question: How much of the poo poo I see online about Win10 being awful and invasive is actually true? Only reason I haven't upgraded is because I keep seeing poo poo about invasive "features" of Win10

E: Okay also because I'm lazy and don't want to reformat even though I really, really should

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

CLAM DOWN posted:

But their fries.....

Fry kids confirmed as new playable race. Hamburgler is next Living Story villian. Glint's egg hatches into Grimace.

gently caress, I wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Magres posted:

Actual question: How much of the poo poo I see online about Win10 being awful and invasive is actually true? Only reason I haven't upgraded is because I keep seeing poo poo about invasive "features" of Win10

All of it plus they've added more fun things like fullscreen ads since its debut.

• Locked thread