Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Djarum posted:

Honestly I am kind of glad that they are in the CN system since they are fairly hands off and while they are cheap I have a feeling they will continue to fund the show as long as Doc and Jackson want to keep doing it.

I believe this was the same case with Metalocalypse in that CN would wait as long as it took to make a season, but the budget was going to be tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Still I am always a little weary of the big dudes at Adult Swim putting the kibosh on shows that I enjoyed. I want to say Metalocalypse got canned on the basis that the show was too serious and not funny anymore, kinda like Morel Orel. I hope it never comes down to that with Rick and Morty or the Venture Bros.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
No, Metalocalpyse got canned because Adult Swim didn't want to let Brandon Small do the mini series for the finale. That show was actually quite popular.

AS has done stupid poo poo before.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Metalocalypse and Aqua Teen both had the door shut in their faces relatively recently, which makes me a little antsy.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Shindragon posted:

No, Metalocalpyse got canned because Adult Swim didn't want to let Brandon Small do the mini series for the finale. That show was actually quite popular.

AS has done stupid poo poo before.

See I heard that Metalocalypse died because Lazzo more or less decided it was time to die and wasn't funny anymore. ATHF met the same fate. In general the guy is pretty brutal from what I've read.

And yeah its plenty drat stupid to kill either of those shows

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Servaetes posted:

See I heard that Metalocalypse died because Lazzo more or less decided it was time to die and wasn't funny anymore. ATHF met the same fate. In general the guy is pretty brutal from what I've read.

I kind of respect this, as many people really don't know when to walk away. It helps that I sort of agree with him. I stopped watching ATHF a few years ago because I thought it had stopped being funny, but I haven't seen it since so I don't know if it's had a renaissance. I do rather miss Metalocalypse though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I know most people don't feel this way but I feel Metalocalypse was getting weaker and weaker by the season with the last one being pretty terrible. The movie felt like a pretty good ending so I'm content having it not come back.

Anyways, I was rewatching last week's episode and Vatred seems delighted to see the little pixie girl and it might be because she's a. Pixie and he just got drugged but I was thinking it might also be because she has such tiny feet.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

axleblaze posted:

I know most people don't feel this way but I feel Metalocalypse was getting weaker and weaker by the season with the last one being pretty terrible. The movie felt like a pretty good ending so I'm content having it not come back.

Anyways, I was rewatching last week's episode and Vatred seems delighted to see the little pixie girl and it might be because she's a. Pixie and he just got drugged but I was thinking it might also be because she has such tiny feet.

I stopped watching Metalocalypse during season 3 for just this reason. It just wasn't the same somehow, and I can't put my finger on it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It seems like an OK philosophy in some respects. ATHF was clearly done, but Metalocalypse makes me worry that some exec might just get a bug up his rear end and pull the Venture Bros. plug one day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As long as Cartoon Network didn't say "We don't like this and now no one can have it," someone would buy up Venture brothers and make more episodes.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The last season of metalacolpyse was great stuff, and consistently brutal. Loved the special too. Cancelling it for being "unfunny" or "weak" doesn't make sense to me. Probably just a cost/viewers thing. Adult swim loves its seth mcfarlene reruns now.

I think Venture Bros gets fairly special treatment. I guess its a pretty loyal fanbase or something.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Another thing about Lazzo: Eric Andre was really excited to meet him and asked him about Space Ghost Coast to Coast because he loved the show and Lazzo was one of the big creators of the show and the response was: "he couldn't give a poo poo about Space Ghost. He's like, 'What? Space Ghost? Space Ghost is dead to me." So yeah, the guy might be a good judge of things but he's a very very blunt guy.

RandallODim posted:

I stopped watching Metalocalypse during season 3 for just this reason. It just wasn't the same somehow, and I can't put my finger on it.

Yeah I honestly kind of agree that Metalocalypse got weirder and weirder and I was less inclined to watch it but all the same I wanted to see the end of it and the big movie thing ended on a to be continued note that I was bummed out to hear. Brendan Small is trying to finish the series though through crowdfunding so who knows. So long as they keep Squidbillies, Rick and Morty, and Venture Brothers around I'll still watch the channel. I'd like to think Family Guy reruns don't keep the channel afloat anymore

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I was excited when Metalocalypse expanded to 30 minutes, but honestly, it was a mistake. What worked for a quarter-hour was stretched thin in a half-hour. I think that exposed the show somehow; the quality seemed to go down (at least to me).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

checkplease posted:

I think Venture Bros gets fairly special treatment. I guess its a pretty loyal fanbase or something.

Huh. Wouldn't have guessed. ;)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Based on this season, my hypothesis is that the original Blue Morpho was the one who killed Dr Venture Sr. Kano either didn't stop him, or was the one to actually do the murder, which is why he takes his vow of silence. The Blue Morpho retrieved the orb for the guild and replaced it with the broken thing that Rusty finds later.

And then how I would like to see the season end: Dr Mrs The Monarch will discover that The Monarch is also The Blue Morpho, and she'll basically be all "Why didn't you just tell me sooner?" Since the original Blue Morpho was The Monarch's dad, DMTM will use some guild legalese to explain that The Monarch has a generational blood feud, giving him priority arching rights as The Monarch; he can safely retire the Blue Morpho personality. Ending scene would be Wide Whale learning that it was The Monarch who killed his brother, Dr Dugong.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Maybe. Seems to me, though, that it makes more sense for Kano to join Team Venture after Blue Morpho dies, which means Morpho would have to die first.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If anything Kano would have killed the Morpho. I get the feeling that there is a big air of mystery around the death of Jonas Venture. They say he died while Rusty was in college but whenever something is pretending to be Jonas, people act as if he actually went missing and he's finally back.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I think Kano killed Dr Venture when he found out about Vendata.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think Kano killed Dr Venture when he found out about Vendata.

This is a good theory.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think Kano crashed the plane, killing Morpho. Kano then takes the body to Dr. Venture in attempt to revive him and Vendata was born.

A few years later, in a scene right out of robocop, Kano tells Vendata who he used to be and triggers memories. Vendata then goes crazy and kills Dr. Venture. It would explain Kano's vow of silence.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I think Kano crashed the plane, killing Morpho. Kano then takes the body to Dr. Venture in attempt to revive him and Vendata was born.

A few years later, in a scene right out of robocop, Kano tells Vendata who he used to be and triggers memories. Vendata then goes crazy and kills Dr. Venture. It would explain Kano's vow of silence.

That's not a bad theory. But, I got the feeling that when Kano said that he took "from this world a great man," it was an intentional thing. Like, he was ordered to kill this great man, or whatever. Then again, it's possible he simply blames himself for it.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

tarlibone posted:

That's not a bad theory. But, I got the feeling that when Kano said that he took "from this world a great man," it was an intentional thing. Like, he was ordered to kill this great man, or whatever. Then again, it's possible he simply blames himself for it.

But silence was his penance and he was silent already when working for dr. venture which makes it more likely it was the Morpho

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Based on this season, my hypothesis is that the original Blue Morpho was the one who killed Dr Venture Sr. Kano either didn't stop him, or was the one to actually do the murder, which is why he takes his vow of silence. The Blue Morpho retrieved the orb for the guild and replaced it with the broken thing that Rusty finds later.

And then how I would like to see the season end: Dr Mrs The Monarch will discover that The Monarch is also The Blue Morpho, and she'll basically be all "Why didn't you just tell me sooner?" Since the original Blue Morpho was The Monarch's dad, DMTM will use some guild legalese to explain that The Monarch has a generational blood feud, giving him priority arching rights as The Monarch; he can safely retire the Blue Morpho personality. Ending scene would be Wide Whale learning that it was The Monarch who killed his brother, Dr Dugong.

Sandau (sp?) breaking the ORB seemed like an actual flashback, not just a story we were being told. I don't think the ORB is coming back.

Also there is no way in hell Dr. Mrs. Whatever is going to just forgive the Monarch and solve all his problems for him. This whole season has been showing the slow breakdown of their relationship. If they just abruptly work things out, then it cheapens that narrative, undermines the emotional stakes, and cheats the viewers out of a proper resolution. A lot of TV shows will put characters on the verge of conflict and then abruptly pull them back like nothing happened (*cough* SoA *cough*), but the Venture Bros has always been about people with real and serious emotions living in an unreal and ridiculous world and the writers have been very good at keeping things grounded. For them to just start handing out "get out of the doghouse free" cards at this point would be a betrayal of what this show has always stood for.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bull3964 posted:

I love this.

Too bad it won't be confirmed or disproven for another 8 years.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ohtsam posted:

But silence was his penance and he was silent already when working for dr. venture which makes it more likely it was the Morpho

In the Dr. Quym episode both the Morpho and silent Kano appear (he's just a green hornet knockoff background joke as noted in the commentary).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Money chat: I wonder what the average budget of a Venture Bros episode or season is, and how much the fanbase could raise on Kickstarter if CN ever ditches the show.

I'm hoping at the very least that, if the show had to end, the guys could scratch up enough money for a 2-hour movie (literally 120 minutes, with no ads) to tie everything up :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If they ever reveal how Jonas Venture died (and I hope they don't) I hope it was something squalid and pathetic like he had a heart attack while taking a poo poo at a whorehouse or something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In the midst of all the Warhol nods, solid National Lampoon's Vacation reference in there: "I'm in deep..."

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Servaetes posted:

I thought Metalocalypse was still funny even in the 30 minute format, I hope it gets a legit finale. The only episode I haven't seen is the Doomstar Requiem one, I'm not a fan of having the whole episode be an extended song. I always thought that show was better off focusing on humor rather than the metal mythology story line, although it was ok in small doses.

ATHF was never consistently funny but it did have a lot of very funny episodes (Carl episodes were the best). It seemed to epitomize the Adult Swim low budget formula and it was around forever so I'm surprised Adult Swim cancelled it. There has to be more to that than them just getting sick of the show.

I hope Venture Brothers doesn't get cancelled for no apparent reason like that. In the commentary for Any Which Way but Zeus Doc and Jackson mentioned putting Lazzo in as one of the golfers since he loves golf, so hopefully he is happy with them heh. They also mentioned getting script notes back from him on one of their episodes last season being super continuity heavy, and this season is basically all continuity heavy episodes, so I hope that isn't an issue.

I doubt Venture Brothers is picking up lots of new fans this far into the series, but airing new episodes Sunday at midnight can't help. At least air them at 11. Adult Swim doesn't even give their best show a chance to beat endless Seth MacFarlane reruns.

null fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 13, 2016

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Ohtsam posted:

I agree that Morpho died first, actually. What I'm saying is that Kano's statement makes me think that he's speaking about doing something that he was ordered to do and hated doing. You know, pulling a Mice-and-Men on a truly good protagonist for the greater good. Or, he might feel responsible for accidentally doing it (crashing the plane due to pilot error) or something.

Jerusalem posted:

If they ever reveal how Jonas Venture died (and I hope they don't) I hope it was something squalid and pathetic like he had a heart attack while taking a poo poo at a whorehouse or something.

Actually, I hope they do show it sometime. Over at the Adult Swim boards, before they revamped them to make it like a nightmarish version of Reddit with no subs so that nobody could really talk about a specific show anymore, there was always a faction of people who assumed that Jonas Venture was alive somewhere. The "proof" was that Action Man said that Dr. Entmann was the first of Team Venture to die, even though the context made it clear that he was talking about the folks who died post-Team Venture. (After all, we all saw Major Tom die.) But they were insistent: Jonas must be alive because of that easily explainable line.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 13, 2016

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Also Kano was a pilot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At least it wasn't like Sealab 2021. That show started off great and then became utter poo poo. I must have stopped watching before it crapped out when I was watching them new because I don't remember them being that bad.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

null posted:

Also Kano was a pilot.

A crackerjack pilot, if memory serves.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Duckbag posted:

Sandau (sp?) breaking the ORB seemed like an actual flashback, not just a story we were being told. I don't think the ORB is coming back.

Also there is no way in hell Dr. Mrs. Whatever is going to just forgive the Monarch and solve all his problems for him. This whole season has been showing the slow breakdown of their relationship. If they just abruptly work things out, then it cheapens that narrative, undermines the emotional stakes, and cheats the viewers out of a proper resolution. A lot of TV shows will put characters on the verge of conflict and then abruptly pull them back like nothing happened (*cough* SoA *cough*), but the Venture Bros has always been about people with real and serious emotions living in an unreal and ridiculous world and the writers have been very good at keeping things grounded. For them to just start handing out "get out of the doghouse free" cards at this point would be a betrayal of what this show has always stood for.

They totally wrote off Dean being all moody a lit a clone at the end of that season in about 30 seconds.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

A crackerjack pilot, if memory serves.

Despite his racial handicap (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ref).

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I agree: if Doc and Jackson would hire some more writers and production staff, they would churn out seasons much more quickly. The product might not be as good, though.

The fact that it's traditionally animated has nothing at all to do with why it takes more than a year (and sometimes two) to get a season ready for consumption.

At this point think it's worth comparing it to the British sitcom model where there may only be one or two writers, and a twelve episode season is practically unheard of. Shows like The Simpsons have a lot more writers tossing out jokes, along with a budget magnitudes larger than VB. Even South Park has about a half-dozen writers on staff to do story ideas and write jokes. Things like handling animation direction isn't part of their job description. Given their budget, Doc and Jackson may not be able to afford to delegate and hire more production staff.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure The Venture Bros got renewed for seasons six and seven at the same time. Considering how well the current season has been received, I don't think it's going to go anywhere or have the plug pulled for a long time yet.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

Money chat: I wonder what the average budget of a Venture Bros episode or season is, and how much the fanbase could raise on Kickstarter if CN ever ditches the show.

I'm actually not sure how well they'd react to that change in pressure to release, or if they'd even really want to be funded that way. Doc/Jackson seem to stress enough about how their release schedule affecting their fans as-is. I could imagine the dynamic just breaking down if they traded an apparently very lenient network funding/release schedule for direct funding from fans who won't shut up about Kim and want episodes asap.

null posted:

I doubt Venture Brothers is picking up lots of new fans this far into the series, but airing new episodes Sunday at midnight can't help.

Anecdotally, whatever they're doing to advertise this season is working. I've heard a handful of new viewers, who were either new to the show or had seen some of Season 1 on Netflix and didn't "get" it, talk about how their plans for the evening after dinner or whatever were to catch up on streaming the new episode. I'm not sure if it's just being set in New York and having an easier storyline this season that's doing it, but the fanbase is definitely at least slightly growing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Rewatching this season just cuz. Still laugh when Hank snickers at NIGHT DICK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ultramiraculous posted:

I'm actually not sure how well they'd react to that change in pressure to release, or if they'd even really want to be funded that way. Doc/Jackson seem to stress enough about how their release schedule affecting their fans as-is. I could imagine the dynamic just breaking down if they traded an apparently very lenient network funding/release schedule for direct funding from fans who won't shut up about Kim and want episodes asap.

Anecdotally, whatever they're doing to advertise this season is working. I've heard a handful of new viewers, who were either new to the show or had seen some of Season 1 on Netflix and didn't "get" it, talk about how their plans for the evening after dinner or whatever were to catch up on streaming the new episode. I'm not sure if it's just being set in New York and having an easier storyline this season that's doing it, but the fanbase is definitely at least slightly growing.

a lot of it is removing the cruft from the past 5 seasons. You don't need to know a ton about the intricate backstory to get hank and sirena's story or deal w/ Doc loving up his NYC company.