Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm amazingly dense in somewhat novel directions, I admit. But yeah, I thought "Mr. Silva" was his name for ages. Also, a lot of characters' names aren't mentioned, sometimes for really extended periods over a few episodes at a stretch if you weren't looking closely.

But I was super happy when his long greasy hair and scraggly beard and peg leg all added up in one epic moment and I flashed back to my 2nd grade self reading Treasure Island. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I said this in the earlier thread but maybe some of you missed it. In s1 we have flints ship - the walrus this had only fictional pirate characters on that ship. We also had Vain's ship (I forget the name) but this ship was full of historical pirates. So from the beginning they kind of set them up to interact in cool ways.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jst0rm posted:

I said this in the earlier thread but maybe some of you missed it. In s1 we have flints ship - the walrus this had only fictional pirate characters on that ship. We also had Vain's ship (I forget the name) but this ship was full of historical pirates. So from the beginning they kind of set them up to interact in cool ways.

The Ranger was Vane's ship. And it's a bit of a shame that it was sunk by that Spanish Man-o-War on the show, since I was kinda halfway hoping to see the moment when Jack Rackham swipes it from under Vane, as per historical point I think. But ah well...

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

CrazyLoon posted:

The Ranger was Vane's ship. And it's a bit of a shame that it was sunk by that Spanish Man-o-War on the show, since I was kinda halfway hoping to see the moment when Jack Rackham swipes it from under Vane, as per historical point I think. But ah well...

Historically, Vane had several ships all of which he called the Ranger.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Flatscan posted:

Historically, Vane had several ships all of which he called the Ranger.

A range of them.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Goddamn, what a steadicam shot! Then again, given the ep had the same intro as S2E10, I just knew something really awesome was going to happen this time.

Also, Silver & Princess demonstrate proper crew crisis/problem solving, Jack's backstory is sad as hell and Hornigold's evil eye when he sees you is terrifying.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 13, 2016

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Rackham was loving amazing in this episode. I just wish they'd get rid of the cheek stripe facial hair on him, it's hard to take him seriously with those smudges on his face.

I actually said "You mother fucker!" when Rogers shot Vane.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't post spoilers until it's on TV, you jerks.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yeah, I tried hinting stuff without giving it away altogether, but...temptation will always be too much. So fixing my post.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Holy gently caress that rescue sequence.

gently caress do I love this show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Don't post spoilers until it's on TV, you jerks.

I tend to just avoid this thread on Saturdays until the episode has aired.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

coyo7e posted:

Hold on, I just added something up.. John Silver.. Is he Long John Silver!?! It totally explains the peg leg, then. :aaaaa:

In my defense, I never realized his name was "silver", I always heard "Mistah Silvah" and figured it was like spanish or something

Silver is Plata in Spanish...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The hell happened to the Man'O'War anyways?

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010
Teach sailed off with it as his flagship.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vane getting captured was a bit forced.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

CODChimera posted:

Vane getting captured was a bit forced.

Agreed, but it created tension and allows Flint to "repay" Vane for last season's rescue.

I'm really enjoying Silver and the Princess, it's a better and more believable growing love story than Eleanor and Rogers.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I found it a bit dark to make out the details of the reprisal scene in the bunks. Was that Silver's retribution for the idiot who "lost his temper"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, it was the other men who came to Silver (so the others who knew) beating him.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Was the carriage chase one take? That was loving rad. That's why I hatewatch this show! And I'm paradoxically annoyed it isn't more popular. This is TELEVISION, people! That poo poo used to be unimaginable in movies!

Roach Warehouse posted:

I found it a bit dark to make out the details of the reprisal scene in the bunks. Was that Silver's retribution for the idiot who "lost his temper"?
Yeah, I got all the beardy blokes confused there. It seemed like that was the implication, but I could've sworn the bloke who said "tell no one of this" was the guy Silver had blamed.

Mouse Dresser posted:

I actually said "You mother fucker!" when Rogers shot Vane.
Wait, you mean you weren't entirely on the side of the badass Woodes Rogers who totally could've beat up Charles Vane had he not just been in a car crash and did all of it in a loving cravat?

He's the best character in the show right now.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
That rescue sequence truly was some next level poo poo, and Jack's speech just prior just solidified him as my favourite character. Eat the rich, Jack!

Seriously this show just keeps upping the game with these action sequences, drat

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Roach Warehouse posted:

Yea, it was the same dude Flint warned in a previous episode where he, again, lost his temper.

Tighclops posted:

That rescue sequence truly was some next level poo poo, and Jack's speech just prior just solidified him as my favourite character. Eat the rich, Jack!

"Mark my words. Today the crumbs, tomorrow the loaf!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I'm wondering if with 2 episodes left they'll actually have Blackbeard do something again.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

muscles like this? posted:

So I'm wondering if with 2 episodes left they'll actually have Blackbeard do something again.

I'd say that either he comes a-roaring at the very end and loving most peoples' plans up OR they're saving him a bit moreso for the confirmed Season 4.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

muscles like this? posted:

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if they are not going to kill off Vane this season. I mean, not Flint, obviously, not Silver, Jack has just spent a whole season moored in Nassau, and if they kill Vane, Blackbeard will have a motive to move, or something.

Well, I hope not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The circumstances of Vane's death are already dramatic enough that it would be a shame not to use how he died for real.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
TBH things are deffo looking towards that, one way or another. With the twist, maybe, that Billy Bones resurrects his parents' agitator fervor and that thanks to his efforts before that fate, Vane becomes a martyr.

Might be completely opposite to what RL Vane was like, but this show's always been about depicting RL historical events as they mostly happened, but also usually with a vastly different context more suited for the show's purposes. Loved, for example, how in the show Flint comes to Blackbeard to convince him to hit Nassau, but he turns him down even though he convinces Vane...while IRL it was Vane who tried to convince Blackbeard, and he turned him down.

The context is vastly different, as are the reasons, but in either case Vane heads for an attempt at Nassau and Blackbeard doesn't.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 14, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I imagine Vane going to magically get his good will release as he did in real life then buck the system like usual

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Tighclops posted:

Seriously this show just keeps upping the game with these action sequences, drat

Jack's speech was amazing. I think that the writers are getting better and better at crafting dialogue that suits the actors naturally.

VagueRant posted:

Wait, you mean you weren't entirely on the side of the badass Woodes Rogers who totally could've beat up Charles Vane had he not just been in a car crash and did all of it in a loving cravat?

He's the best character in the show right now.

I like Rogers. I appreciate the complicated leader role he has, he's a softer shade of gray in comparison to Flint's gray DARKEST VOID OF BLACKNESS.

Aphrodite posted:

The circumstances of Vane's death are already dramatic enough that it would be a shame not to use how he died for real.

Yeah, no poo poo. The whole lead up to his death is pretty intense and dramatic, and it'd be a huge waste to not use the real story.

I wonder if Rogers is going to try to turn Vane over to the Spanish saying that he stole the gold/is Rackham.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mouse Dresser posted:

Jack's speech was amazing. I think that the writers are getting better and better at crafting dialogue that suits the actors naturally.

Flint's last private talk with Ashe, before Vane shows up, is still one that I consider the root of why everything ever in regards to civilization can eventually become hosed beyond the point of compromise. Before that, Vane being exposed as a slave turning into his speech at rousing the crew of the fake Blackbeard was one I considered to be the essence of what he's about. This season Silver confronting Flint in that rowboat was another one of those moments I felt: "drat, this character has come a long way." So I suppose... :agreed: and yeah, I'd say this speech is also very much so what Jack's about.

I also like how there's the distinction in tone made between these moreso private speeches (except for Vane's) and the ones held in public, that are usually done for a specific purpose with an ulterior motive.

Mouse Dresser posted:

I like Rogers. I appreciate the complicated leader role he has, he's a softer shade of gray in comparison to Flint's gray DARKEST VOID OF BLACKNESS.

I disagree with his 'pragmatism is always best' approach, feel like there's a significant lesson he never learned from his past failures which also led to him not seeing this coming, but I really like the actor's portrayal of him and can't help but respect the character, even if I'm not quite rooting for him. Same with Hornigold and his actor, and even same with Eleanor in the end. It's quite a feat when a show manages to get me to respect pretty much all the key characters, even the ones I might disagree with.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 14, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, dude, spoilers! I didn't know the real Charles Vane was dead!

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

CrazyLoon posted:

TBH things are deffo looking towards that, one way or another. With the twist, maybe, that Billy Bones resurrects his parents' agitator fervor and that thanks to his efforts before that fate, Vane becomes a martyr.
Actually, upon reading the views of the thread, maybe it's possible that Vane gets his magic pardon and this drives a wedge between Rodgers and Eleanor. I was thinking more in terms of thinning the cast a bit, but there isn't much story still to tell, is there? The fictional crew have to find the island to bury the treasure, and the real pirates have to mostly, well, die. (And Rodgers, too, has to get his ending.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

meristem posted:

but there isn't much story still to tell, is there? The fictional crew have to find the island to bury the treasure, and the real pirates have to mostly, well, die. (And Rodgers, too, has to get his ending.)

They've also got to get a hold of the treasure -- no way that Vane and co are going to let them just wander off with it, and I don't think Silver knows the location in the original novel (though they could perhaps dump that). Ben has to get marooned as well.

So there's a season's worth of infighting and skullduggery left, at least, beyond the show tying up the issues with Rodgers and the Spanish.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'd say Flint has to experience some more betrayal or hardship too. He's pretty intense right now, but he doesn't strike me as having reached the "Kill everyone who knows where the treasure is buried" stage yet.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
yeah that carriage chase was one shot from the fight in the carriage out to the road shot. It probably looks like one shot continued from that point but it was still long as al hell with tons of action and lots of moving parts. That one guy with his head literally 1 ft from the carriage spokes was like wtf this is dangerous for real. Reminded me of this:

back then the actors took the risk. Now a days its a masked stunt man. lol.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can't find a gif or video, but there's also a Cagney scene where they shot the poo poo out of some wall he was standing behind with a real machine gun.

Edit:
Or basically anything Buster Keaton did
https://youtu.be/zsyRhRR5Iu4

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 16, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I couldn't pay attention to what the hell Rackham and Rogers were saying in the carriage. I kept staring out the window the whole time waiting for his guys to start getting picked off.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rocksicles posted:

http://www.historyofpiratespodcast.com

Goes WAY back to when people were stealing stuff off floating logs.

Haven't tuned in but i saw it listed somewhere once.
This is a really interesting and informative podcast however, good lord is the host terrible. He reads like he's got :spergin: with inexplicable 1-4 second pauses occurring regularly and somewhat randomly, throws in a lot of dorky jokes (which aren't so bad), but after three or four episodes he starts tossing in anime sound-clips as jokes because hey, if a sperglord making bad puns is funny, a 5-second clip from J-pop is even funnier, amirite?

Worth listening to but goddamn it gets cringeworthy pretty quickly. His pronounciation is atrocious although he sometimes addresses it (he spends an entire episode saying 'pheonicians' as 'venetians', for instance, so you spend the whole episode wondering if Venice is actually based off of a melange of different sumerian-era piratical cultures) and often uses internet pronounciations straight from wikipedia which, well, are better than he can manage.

Rocksicles posted:

Silver is Plata in Spanish...
Luckily I'm not spanish....... So idgaf

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 16, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah i did have a listen while i was bored one night, He's a bit of a goon... i figured he might be a member :)

Always meant to go back to it one day

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dufresne died as he lived: like a bitch

alternate ending: Dufresne died as he lived: licking boots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Well then.

meristem fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 19, 2016

• Locked thread