Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The actual question with 5e monks is "how much do you like Stunning Fist" because that is the entirety of monk play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Are fists one-handed weapons?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Skellybones posted:

*screams internally eternally*

This is what 5e does to people.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Has no one come up with an :askyourdm: smilie yet? something like :xcom: except with Mearls?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Skellybones posted:

They are not weapons, but count as melee weapon attacks iirc according to errata.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Generic Octopus posted:

They are not weapons, but count as melee weapon attacks iirc according to errata.

It's more like "whenever a rule refers to melee weapon attacks, feel free to mentally replace it with unarmed strikes, if you want."

Basically unarmed strikes do everything melee weapons do, except for "be items that can be buffed."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

What if I want to punch with both fists? Can I dual-wield fists? What if I want to punch with my non-dominant hand?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

P.d0t posted:

Basically unarmed strikes do everything melee weapons do, except for "be items that can be buffed."

Which is a damned shame as far as I am concerned. Wacky magical punching is central to any Monk I'd want to play.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The actual answer is, again, "it doesn't matter because monks do mostly mediocre damage at best, and exist entirely based on Stunning Strike and grappling."

Shadow monks also exist to be multiclassed with rogues.

DJ Dizzy posted:

How does the sun soul compare to the open fist? Is unarmed combat viable?

Hot garbage. Not quite Elemental Monk bad, but definitely a lot closer to that then Shadow, much less Open hand. It's a 3.x designed monk - a small pile of cool sounding abilities that sound like they fit together, with no mechanical coherence or synergy, and overall awful actual numbers.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

What if I want to punch with both fists? Can I dual-wield fists? What if I want to punch with my non-dominant hand?

unarmed strikes aren't a light weapon, so no TWF with them. unless you're a Monk :v:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

P.d0t posted:

unarmed strikes aren't a light weapon, so no TWF with them. unless you're a Monk :v:

I'm calling bullshit. If we go with the basics, you've got fists, knees, elbows, and feet to strike with and should be attacking 6 times a round. Plus headbutt I guess, and that's just brawling, before you get to weird martial arts poo poo where you break people's spleens with your armpit or whatever.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

I'm calling bullshit. If we go with the basics, you've got fists, knees, elbows, and feet to strike with and should be attacking 6 times a round. Plus headbutt I guess, and that's just brawling, before you get to weird martial arts poo poo where you break people's spleens with your armpit or whatever.

adndgrapplingrules.txt

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I tried to find a 5e charop thread but didn't see one, just the old 4e one. Is it okay to ask for that kind of advice in here? My group is playing through LMoP -> HotDQ -> RoT and we've got two completely fresh players. The group is 4 players, we've got a Fighter, Wizard, a wildcard who is undecided and I was leaning toward Dragonborn Ranger and maybe dipping in Rogue so I could be versatile and ranged and maybe shore up weaknesses. Do some secondary healing, take care of traps, general utility stuff, and put lots of arrows into groups of monsters.

e: I have a very basic goal of trying to ensure my group survives the entire campaign. :v:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 12, 2016

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Ranger is considered probably the worst class in 5e in that it doesn't do anything particularly well and does several things particularly badly. You can play a bard and do all those things exactly the same, except much better.

There's not a lot to CharOp in 5e because it's kind of a shallow and boring system without a lot of player choice except picking your class/archetype, and stat allocation (which I'd venture has an optimal answer without even thinking too hard about it). The bard thing is because bards are full casters that can do anything (damage, lockdown, healing, raising the dead) as well as perfectly viable combatants, and there are totally unremarkable spells (by spell standards) like Blur that are more powerful than any Fighter or Ranger or Rogue class features.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

I tried to find a 5e charop thread but didn't see one, just the old 4e one. Is it okay to ask for that kind of advice in here?

My basic advice is dumped in the 5e newbie thread.
Of note:

P.d0t posted:

Depending on your secondary stats, you can kinda branch out, but it's generally very hard to bump both a weapon ability and a spellcasting ability, so keep that in mind when planning characters. You need to decide fairly early on whether your Actions will be primarily spent attacking with weapons or casting spells.
So like, if you're a Rogue and you're going with light armor all the way, you're going to max DEX and all your other stats are never gonna move. If you dip into something that gets you medium armor, you can leave your DEX at +2, and then start bumping a spellcasting ability, if you take a class that casts spells.

Ranger gets some neat perks regarding the Exploration "pillar" of the game, but that means It's Up To The DM™ whether your class is of much help to the party. Like, if your game is expressly about exploring and taming the unclaimed wilderness then a Ranger might be of some use. Otherwise, consider the Outlander background for some ranger-flavoured benefits, then just be whatever class has the mechanics you like best.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 12, 2016

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Boing posted:

Ranger is considered probably the worst class in 5e in that it doesn't do anything particularly well and does several things particularly badly. You can play a bard and do all those things exactly the same, except much better.

There's not a lot to CharOp in 5e because it's kind of a shallow and boring system without a lot of player choice except picking your class/archetype, and stat allocation (which I'd venture has an optimal answer without even thinking too hard about it). The bard thing is because bards are full casters that can do anything (damage, lockdown, healing, raising the dead) as well as perfectly viable combatants, and there are totally unremarkable spells (by spell standards) like Blur that are more powerful than any Fighter or Ranger or Rogue class features.

That is a depressing answer on a number of parts, but it gave me some things to think about. Maybe I'll re-concept the character a bit. I mostly just want to play a Dragonborn 'something' because nobody else is and there's a poo poo ton of fun lore stuff to do with my Dragonborn in these campaigns.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

If I were DMing, I'd rule that your "Unarmed attack" is you trying whichever of those you think is most appropriate, given the six seconds you have to work with in your turn. You might throw a punch, or feint with your left hand and hook with your right, or kick the thing in the junk, or whatever. Any and all of those things are one attack. Nobody could make 6 effective unarmed attacks with each body part within the span of 6 seconds, unless you're skilled enough at unarmed attacking - which is reflected in abilities like Flurry of Blows or just more base attacks per turn.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Macavity posted:

If I were DMing, I'd rule that your "Unarmed attack" is you trying whichever of those you think is most appropriate, given the six seconds you have to work with in your turn. You might throw a punch, or feint with your left hand and hook with your right, or kick the thing in the junk, or whatever. Any and all of those things are one attack. Nobody could make 6 effective unarmed attacks with each body part within the span of 6 seconds, unless you're skilled enough at unarmed attacking - which is reflected in abilities like Flurry of Blows or just more base attacks per turn.

Right, but even more attacks per turn is often abstracted as one stronger swing - in 3e you could end up with a fighter swinging a two handed weapon 5 times or more in 6 seconds. The number of attacks you roll and the damage they do is just the mechanics.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
If you want to skill monkey, fire a bow, AND heal, you want to play a Bard, fullstop. Bards are the most versatile class in the game since they have a wide variety of spells to choose from, decent armor and weapon proficiencies, and of course their skill bonuses. Make Dex and Cha your two highest stats and bump them when you can.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

One of my friends pointed out the Grappling post in the Newbie thread that p.d0t linked, then said 'be a dragon dude who tells the stories of his people while wrestling monsters into the dirt'. poo poo, the difficult decisions and cool concepts just keep piling on.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I really like the flavor of the Oath of the Ancients paladin, but the early features really suck. I'm starting at level 6 which is a good level for paladin I think, but man is the ensnare channel divinity just aggressively awful. I guess it'd be okay if you need to tie down something physically weak but really, it takes your action and is so easy to escape from.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Hmm.... Can you do a melee beatstick cleric in this game, or am I better off taking an oath of vengeance paladin?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Zarick posted:

I really like the flavor of the Oath of the Ancients paladin, but the early features really suck. I'm starting at level 6 which is a good level for paladin I think, but man is the ensnare channel divinity just aggressively awful. I guess it'd be okay if you need to tie down something physically weak but really, it takes your action and is so easy to escape from.

The rest of their features are really good though. Their aura is absurd, their capstone is the best in the class, and their spells and class abilities broadly add up to being real good at being unkillable.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Mecha Gojira posted:

you want to play a Bard, fullstop.

New OP for the newbie thread spotted.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Which of the Paladin fighting styles is better? I feel like using a shield is probably good since AC doesn't scale that much (and I think I'm the only beef in my party), but I'm not sure the shield reaction is worth giving up +2 damage for. Maybe +1 AC?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hmm.... Can you do a melee beatstick cleric in this game, or am I better off taking an oath of vengeance paladin?

That's the War Cleric, isn't it?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zarick posted:

Which of the Paladin fighting styles is better? I feel like using a shield is probably good since AC doesn't scale that much (and I think I'm the only beef in my party), but I'm not sure the shield reaction is worth giving up +2 damage for. Maybe +1 AC?

Damage boosts that don't allow you to 1-hit KO one or more enemies don't matter in a game that has lots of save-or-die spells.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
War and thunder clerics own and look fun. I just rolled a light cleric last week and love it but that's a caster type , not a beatstick.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Zarick posted:

Two handed weapon style to pair up with the polearm you are absolutely going to be using because it is bar none the best melee option in the game.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Kibner posted:

Damage boosts that don't allow you to 1-hit KO one or more enemies don't matter in a game that has lots of save-or-die spells.

Does it? I haven't seen many. And even considering that, +1 AC isn't exactly going to help with that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it was also twitter-errata'd that Paladin auras stack, so that's a thing as well.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Two handed weapon style to pair up with the polearm you are absolutely going to be using because it is bar none the best melee option in the game.

Duelling paladins arent viable?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Polearm FEAT gives you threatening reach and a bonus attack. You cannot beat that as a melee defender character.

But, yeah, Clerics are still great for beating on dudes. Pick up Astral Weapon, emasculate your fighter.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 13, 2016

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

Duelling paladins arent viable?

Nobody said dueling wasn't viable, they said polearm is the best weapon type in the game. It's not like everything but polearms is ultra garbage, it's just not as effective.

Ultimately, fights are going to be decided by spells either way.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Are CoDzillas and wizards still just murdering everyone and everything in sight?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
This edition is a half-assed* update of 3.5/Pathfinder. Spellcasters are less omnipotent god-kings of the game, but they're still undeniably better at everything other than "being named fighter" or something. Anyone who tells you fighters are good because they can attack more times per round is an idiot.

* I would even argue quarter-assed, considering how lazy it is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DJ Dizzy posted:

Are CoDzillas and wizards still just murdering everyone and everything in sight?

Yes.

5e just exists in this particular thoughtspace that since PunPun doesn't exist, you can't stack buffs forever and Fighters don't have dead levels (arguable!) means people think its the most balanced D&D yet

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
Working on a Fighter rebuild/total replacement that works around being Best At Fighting (complete with trophy).

Attack damage is d10 regardless of weapon/lack thereof.

Core mechanic involves attack dice that basically replace iterative attacks. So you've got an Action that you use to attack (but not Attack because that's a specific thing, as we all know) that's basically "start attacking things". Whenever you hit with an attack you decide how many of your dice you want to put into it, so if you've got 4 dice you can take successive chances at a crit. If you land that crit you can pile some or all of your remaining dice into the attack, or make successive attacks against as many different targets as you want until you run out of dice for the turn. Fundamentally similar to how Fighters conceptually play, except you can pile your dice into a crit if you want that big beefy hit. Dice refresh at the end of your turn allowing them to be used as currency in reactions.

The other core mechanic is an auto-kill where you can spend a die to just eliminate a target with less than X hit dice without making an attack roll.

Builds follow similar arcs to the Fighter, with the Champion replacement revolving around crit-fishing (and actually being able to take advantage of it) and at higher levels get an auto-cleave with overkill damage automatically spilling over to nearby targets. The Battlemaster replacement trades d10s down to d8s for added benefits. Rather than having the single pool of maneuvers they're tiered in mutually-exclusive bundles (think WoW talents) themed with each tier having something leaning support, offence, or defence.

Basically riffing on the idea that without spells dramatically expanding the character's capabilities, it's almost impossible to make a "reality"-based character overpowered, so they should at least feel overpowered by being able to break all sorts of rules.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

If you start at level 1 with a mixed party (let's get generic and say Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard), here's what you'll likely experience:

Levels 1 through 3-5: "Idk what people were on about, martials seem fine. Sure the casters sometimes bust out big spells that end poo poo, but it's limited so w/e."

Levels 4-5 through 9: "Hmm, the casters are kinda overshadowing the others. The DM's able to work with it though."

Levels 10+: "The martial players are starting to feel sorta useless. Anyone got any advice?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mecha Gojira posted:

Polearm FEAT gives you threatening reach and a bonus attack. You cannot beat that as a melee defender character.

I mean, you can't beat that as a melee character period for the most part. The "polearm" part isn't even the big one - it's Great Weapon Master. Polearm Master just makes it more absurd.

Like, you can go with a Not Polearm. It is an option. But polearm is, flat out, the best option for just about every class that can make use of it. And even if you don't use a polearm, you still want to use great weapon fighting - there is, sincerely, no substitute.

The standard melee build for paladins, fighters, and barbarians involves combining Sentinel, Polearm Master, and Great Weapon Master. Ideally you initially shove your target of choice to get advantage on all your attacks, then activate Great Weapon Master and just go to loving town. Sentinel is there to give you even more attacks, since "defender" really isn't a thing in this edition.