Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dudley posted:

As a guy in charge of some commercial software development. "I loving wish that were true"

"I snuck something in to your CR so it goes out with the next promo" - everyone

Change log: "Fixed stuff".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dudley posted:

As a guy in charge of some commercial software development. "I loving wish that were true"

Used quotes to try to head off this line of inevitable commentary but oh well.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Sometimes when I open Photos I get the message that says I don't have enough space on my phone to store all my photos and that I should optimize the photos stored there. The thing is, I have 2 GB of free space and only like 30 photos. What's causing this message to appear?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone here know how to unlock phones? Not the process of paying a guy to unlock the phone, but what that person is doing to unlock the phone? I'm trying to start a small business down here in Nevada and one of the services I want to offer, alongside others, is phone unlocking for competitive prices. I can't really do that if I act as a middleman because then I'm making 0 dollars.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone here know how to unlock phones? Not the process of paying a guy to unlock the phone, but what that person is doing to unlock the phone? I'm trying to start a small business down here in Nevada and one of the services I want to offer, alongside others, is phone unlocking for competitive prices. I can't really do that if I act as a middleman because then I'm making 0 dollars.
You get an inside man at the carriers or Apple that can mark phones as unlocked? :iiam:

Unless you mean unlocking password locked phones, in which case you sue Apple like the FBI is doing.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

LODGE NORTH posted:

1. This is the iphone thread, so the primary thing to know about unlocking iphones is access--step 1 is to get a job at every major cell carrier. You're going to be a middleman, deal with it.
2. You want to start a business and learn the skills you intend to offer later. There's putting the cart before the horse, and there's not having heard of a horse before.
3. You're earning 0 dollars because you have done nothing and you offer nothing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty good gig if you can get it though, charging people for something they can get for free is a sure winner. You'll be buying yachts in no time.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I thought all the "unlock your phone for 10 bucks!" were just unscrupulous customer service reps at the provider?

Pretty sure all the cell providers are cracking down on that hard, you probably signed a contract with them to get that phone, they want to make their money back.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Here's something to put in the OP in big bold print:

http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/10/should-you-quit-ios-apps-answer/

Granted we haven't had a battery life chat in here for a while so maybe goons have finally figured it out, so let's call this insurance.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Kaizoku posted:

1. This is the iphone thread, so the primary thing to know about unlocking iphones is access--step 1 is to get a job at every major cell carrier. You're going to be a middleman, deal with it.
2. You want to start a business and learn the skills you intend to offer later. There's putting the cart before the horse, and there's not having heard of a horse before.
3. You're earning 0 dollars because you have done nothing and you offer nothing.

We offer a league of other services later. A service that only unlocks phones would be foolish.

I offer nothing now - which is why I asked if anyone knew anything. I don't really understand this point or the beginning of your first since it answers nothing I've asked.

Thanks though! I may have to see if Chronic knows people or if his contact knows something. I'm cool with the both of them, so it might've been wiser to ask people who know for certain first.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

xzzy posted:

Granted we haven't had a battery life chat in here for a while so maybe goons have finally figured it out, so let's call this insurance.

Not expecting it to change much...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

xzzy posted:

I more do this out of spergy habit but like with spotlight search there's no reason at all not to leave them all running in the background.

I've found the new stacked card-based multitasker to be shite anyway so I hardly use it anyway.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

LODGE NORTH posted:

We offer a league of other services later. A service that only unlocks phones would be foolish.

I offer nothing now - which is why I asked if anyone knew anything. I don't really understand this point or the beginning of your first since it answers nothing I've asked.

Thanks though! I may have to see if Chronic knows people or if his contact knows something. I'm cool with the both of them, so it might've been wiser to ask people who know for certain first.

Point 1: You're in the iphone thread, and all phone models are unlocked via different methods and means. It answered the only part of your question that is relevant to the thread. Hope that clarifies a bit.

Point 2: You're complaining about having to pay someone for a skilled service when you're wanting to charge people for that very same skilled service. If it were trivial, people wouldn't pay others to do it and someone else would already be unlocking phones for cheaper in your area. If referring others to reputable services that unlock cellphones will damage your core business, then your idea sucks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I more do this out of spergy habit but like with spotlight search there's no reason at all not to leave them all running in the background.

I've found the new stacked card-based multitasker to be shite anyway so I hardly use it anyway.

They're not running in the background. That's the point.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Kaizoku posted:

Point 1: You're in the iphone thread, and all phone models are unlocked via different methods and means. It answered the only part of your question that is relevant to the thread. Hope that clarifies a bit.

Point 2: You're complaining about having to pay someone for a skilled service when you're wanting to charge people for that very same skilled service. If it were trivial, people wouldn't pay others to do it and someone else would already be unlocking phones for cheaper in your area. If referring others to reputable services that unlock cellphones will damage your core business, then your idea sucks.

That's not what I mentioned. I was asking how that skilled service is done and if anyone knew info. At that length, I could learn. Also, it isn't a skilled service at all after getting the information directly from the source. I still don't understand how "being in the iPhone thread" holds any weight. I'm specifically asking about iPhones since the method for those is different for other phones and requires less of a hassle.

In any case, I've figured it out and already have two people coming down to detail it to people on the team and explain which avenues to work with.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I don't do this in general, but there are definitely apps where it's beneficial to force-kill them when you're done.

I'm mainly thinking of Waze for location services reasons, and Tiny Tower (lol) because of a bug in the app (lol), but I'm sure there are others.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, Apple are real dicks about setting up an iPhone without a sim card, aren't they?

Was trying resuscitate the wife's old 5 for wifi only use around the house and apparently a factory reset was the wrong loving choice. Easy to fix, I just popped a spare sim card in to get past it but it makes no sense for them to lock the thing down like that.

(the activate through iTunes trick that googling suggests doesn't work anymore either)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah, it's a real pain, especially now that there are three different sizes of SIM to potentially need.

Not sure what the reason is for it.

You can get past it with a jailbreak but that only helps for an older device.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

~Coxy posted:

I don't do this in general, but there are definitely apps where it's beneficial to force-kill them when you're done.

I'm mainly thinking of Waze for location services reasons, and Tiny Tower (lol) because of a bug in the app (lol), but I'm sure there are others.

Yeah. There are only a couple reasons to force kill apps: ones with lovely bugs that hose CPU and therefore battery or ones that hose GPS and therefore battery.

Usually if some app is acting like an rear end in a top hat and heats up my phone I just hold down power and home to force reboot and go on with my life

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Endless Mike posted:

They're not running in the background. That's the point.

Okay but how do you do you explain this:

I use the gmail app, never the stock "Mail" app. Recently I noticed that the Mail app had a notification sticker even though I'm pretty sure I've NEVER opened that app on this brand new phone before. Apparently Apple auto-sets up your iCloud email account with the Mail app, and I somehow got a spam email sent to that account despite never using it for anything.

So I opened the app for the first time, deleted the email, and left the app without force quitting it. Haven't touched it since, but now I see that Mail has used 7% of my battery in the last 24 hours due to "background activity." That's more than Gmail, which I've actively been using!!

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
A lot of the numbers that I had saved on my iPhone have disappeared. The only ones that show up are people listed with both first and last names. I know that the phone still has the missing names stored because I get them whenever someone texts me. How do I get those numbers to show up in Contacts?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Anybody here using the Peel case? It seems to get good reviews online and is just about invisible.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Anybody here using the Peel case? It seems to get good reviews online and is just about invisible.

It's basically the same thing as using a skin -- they're super thin. If that's what you want, it's great, but if you want your phone not to shatter into a million pieces if you drop it, it's probably not the best thing to buy.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Value question.

Recently had a warranty replacement iphone 6 64GB (still in plastic covering even!). Seeing as it's untouched, what's a realistic sell price?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRp82t3FQlY

iPhone SE spotting in China.

Kinda disappointed they rounded the edges instead of having the old iPhone 5 blocky edges.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's fake as poo poo

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That's fake as poo poo

Took the words out of my mouth except I was gonna use "gently caress."

I was already skeptical when I realized this was in China, but the phone looks pretty off. First gen dual flash, misshapen antenna bands, weird looking ports.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Case leaks have suggested it'll be almost identical to the 5s

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bass Bottles posted:

Case leaks have suggested it'll be almost identical to the 5s

that would be rad

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I liked the 4 and 5 more than the 6. Bring back the sexy glass, Tim.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I liked the 4 and 5 more than the 6. Bring back the sexy glass, Tim.

For 7 I want the size of the 6, but with the sexy black back glass of the 4. Seriously give me a true black iPhone.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
6S Plus will be looked back at as peak iPhone.

Maybe the 7 Plus if it keeps the look and comes with wireless earbuds.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

cowofwar posted:

6S Plus will be looked back at as peak iPhone.

Maybe the 7 Plus if it keeps the look and comes with wireless earbuds.

What if they're lightning cable earbuds?

I don't know how wireless earbuds would work. They'd be so easy to lose!

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
That's why they'll come with a little wire you clip to your ear lobes and when you pull them out of your ears they hang like earrings.

The ability to innovate is lost in simple minded folk such as yourself. :chord:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Butt Savage posted:

That's why they'll come with a little wire you clip to your ear lobes and when you pull them out of your ears they hang like earrings.

Hahaha

Or ear gauge blue tooth speakers

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Butt Savage posted:

That would a useful feature even on wired earbuds.

Edit: except when carrying a baby. Ouch.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Why is my compass always 90 degrees off when I'm driving? It's roughly accurate otherwise.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 15, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

dik-dik posted:

Why is my compass always 90 degrees off when I'm driving? It's roughly accurate otherwise.
Rotate your phone 90 degrees.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

dik-dik posted:

stop driving sideways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bungeyjump
Nov 9, 2003
Bungeyjumpingpeopledie

xzzy posted:

Man, Apple are real dicks about setting up an iPhone without a sim card, aren't they?

Was trying resuscitate the wife's old 5 for wifi only use around the house and apparently a factory reset was the wrong loving choice. Easy to fix, I just popped a spare sim card in to get past it but it makes no sense for them to lock the thing down like that.

(the activate through iTunes trick that googling suggests doesn't work anymore either)

I bought a sim free 5s when visiting the US and the Apple Store popped a dummy SIM in to set it up so I could use it before I got home and sorted out the correct size of SIM