Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Slavvy posted:

Legalise literally everything including murder.

That will get rid of all crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Slavvy posted:

Legalise literally everything including murder.

What's the point of having all these laws if the criminals won't even follow them?

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Please don't ban alcohol, I like it

And some other things

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

fong posted:

Drugs with very little indicated harm (like weed) could simply be legalised but controlled and heavily taxed in a similar way to alcohol and tobacco now.

Why heavily tax weed (or lsd, mdma, mushrooms)?

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

why heavily tax alcohol? it's the done thing I guess

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Fwiw I'm pretty pro the strategy that fong posted

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

The Schwa posted:

why heavily tax alcohol? it's the done thing I guess

To help counter the spending on healthcare as a result of drunk people hurting themselves/others. Same thing with tobacco and cancer.

I don't think the drugs mentioned before really require that kind of spending in any way.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

like nobody ever got lung cancer from smoking a bunch of weed

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Realistically though I think the NZ government would tax other recreational drugs fairly heavily, as a revenue gathering exercise if nothing else

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

idk I guess because I dont trust people to use them responsibly if they are cheap and freely available. Look at the way people drink in NZ even with ridic amounts of tax on it

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
What else are you meant to do in this god forsaken country other than drink yourself to death? High alcohol duty isn't gonna stop that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Have you ever been to Bali and seen how expats behave there? That's what happens when Aussies and kiwis are given cheap alcohol. NZ has a lot of issues with alcohol, but they'd be much worse is booze was cheaper. Shrooms, weed, e etc do have a much lower social cost than alcohol, but there's still something to be said for protecting people from themselves. Its not healthy to take e every weekend.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

fong posted:

Its not healthy to take e every weekend.

If it is actually just "E" IIRC there is pretty solid evidence saying it is healthier than chain smoking or binge drinking every weekend - trying to find source right now but on those harm reduction graphs actual ecstasy is associated with significantly less.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Jacobin posted:

If it is actually just "E" IIRC there is pretty solid evidence saying it is healthier than chain smoking or binge drinking every weekend - trying to find source right now but on those harm reduction graphs actual ecstasy is associated with significantly less.

Taking e is safer and healthier than horse riding by any meaningful measure, let alone alcohol and tobacco. Any sane drug policy would legalise ecstasy immediately.

http://www.encod.org/info/EQUASY-A-HARMFUL-ADDICTION.html

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Taitale posted:

To help counter the spending on healthcare as a result of drunk people hurting themselves/others. Same thing with tobacco and cancer.

I don't think the drugs mentioned before really require that kind of spending in any way.

I am fairly sure that tobacco users present about the same burden on the health system as non-tobacco users since they die much much earlier. Besides that, the tax on tobacco is not at all about paying for the healthcare costs - its about making it unattainable. Tobacco has an insane amount of tax on it, way more than is reasonable, and I am saying that as someone who would support making tobacco completely and utterly illegal despite my earlier statements that all drugs should be legal - I know it doesn't fit my ideal, but I am happy existing as a contradictory creature.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jacobin posted:

I'd imagine it depends how you measure harm. I don't have any actual data though, just my experience of people who used to do it every weekend. And again maybe it's something about the purity too, but MDMA can have a pretty nasty come down and hangover. The people I know who took it regularly got into this messed up weekly emotional cycle. Its really different from alcohol though

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

fong posted:

I'd imagine it depends how you measure harm. I don't have any actual data though, just my experience of people who used to do it every weekend. And again maybe it's something about the purity too, but MDMA can have a pretty nasty come down and hangover. The people I know who took it regularly got into this messed up weekly emotional cycle. Its really different from alcohol though

I'm not a science but anecdotally yes, this is totally a thing

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Meanwhile in non drug related politics... http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/77791872/police-look-to-arrange-interviews-regarding-todd-barclay

quote:

Several people connected to embattled Clutha-Southland MP Todd Barclay's electorate have been approached by police for interviews, while Parliamentary Services has confirmed it has also spoken to police.

Three resignations in Barclay's Clutha-Southland electorate since the start of the year have raised questions about the MP's relationship with his staff and party members, and the involvement of the police could put his position under further threat.

Gore-based senior electorate agent Glenys Dickson resigned in February, with a party official citing an "employment problem" between the pair.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You can't make booze illegal, I just won a bottle of bubbly at the work SHINE contest.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

You can't make booze illegal, I just won a bottle of bubbly at the work SHINE contest.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO whats a SHINE?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

klen dool posted:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO whats a SHINE?

http://www.2shine.org.nz/

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Rumours are the police involvement is because he may have secretly placed a recording device in the office so he could catch his staff plotting against him.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The high-stakes world of Invercargill politics :psyduck:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Welp, this is not far from where I live, shooting in papakura leaving one dead

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

always back the winner, that's our John

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Human Rights Commission has taken against that TVNZ Kiwimeter survey because it asks leading questions about Maori.

https://www.hrc.co.nz/news/surveys-questions-about-maori-new-zealanders-biased/

quote:

[re: "Maori should not receive any special treatment"] “This is a leading statement demonstrating a clear bias: Kiwimeter has decided Maori already receive ‘special treatment’ even though they do not explain what this actually means,” said Karen Johansen, Indigenous Rights Commissioner.  

“The Treaty of Waitangi settlements process is a judicial form of truth and reconciliation that acknowledges human rights abuses faced by generations of New Zealanders: to describe it as ‘special treatment’ is disingenuous and wrong.”

In hindsight I agree. Its not that they're uncommon opinions and I get why they were included, but still

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 13, 2016

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Exclamation Marx posted:

always back the winner, that's our John

How do you think it will go down?

A: "The people of New Zealand have voted to keep our traditional flag we support them"

or

B: Never mention it again, hope no one remembers the millions flushed down the shitter.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

fong posted:

In hindsight I agree. Its not that they're uncommon opinions and I get why they were included, but still

Why does that quote assume that "special treatment" refers to the Waitangi Tribunal? I assumed it was referring to affirmative action stuff like giving Maori students guaranteed spots in university classes etc. It's a lot easier to see how someone might consider that "special treatment" than the Tribunal. Not that I'm against affirmative action or anything, it just seems like a weird conclusion to jump to.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

fong posted:

The Human Rights Commission has taken against that TVNZ Kiwimeter survey because it asks leading questions about Maori.

https://www.hrc.co.nz/news/surveys-questions-about-maori-new-zealanders-biased/

The whole first section consisted of statements like that and there were often two statements on the same general topic but from the other view point.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

504 posted:

How do you think it will go down?

A: "The people of New Zealand have voted to keep our traditional flag we support them"

or

B: Never mention it again, hope no one remembers the millions flushed down the shitter.

Thirty seconds on One News, followed by a quarter hour of Richie McCaw kicking things.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Thirty seconds on One News, followed by a quarter hour of Richie McCaw kicking things.

Btw Richie wedding and Richie rugby and Richie celebrity stories are all separate and worthy of separate segments.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Btw Richie wedding and Richie rugby and Richie celebrity stories are all separate and worthy of separate segments.

All of which will be contained in the general news section and not in the sports section.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Eh, I think you'll need to wait a week after the wedding before the news heads back to Richie kicking things. Upstairs for One News, downstairs for Three.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Come on now he is no Veitchy.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
:golfclap:

Nice one.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Varkk posted:

Brava!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Varkk posted:

:iceburn:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Varkk posted:

Sheeeeeeeiiiiiiit

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

Eh, I think you'll need to wait a week after the wedding before the news heads back to Richie kicking things. Upstairs for One News, downstairs for Three.

What sort of things is he kicking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Carter was the one who kicked, not Richie.

• Locked thread