Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Headshots are important for showing somewhere why to not overheat like an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I've been killed by a hacker like literally 3 times ever and I've gone up from Rank 4 to Rank 2 since December. 2 of those kills are from the same exact dude 2 maps in a row :shrug:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

darthzeta88 posted:

Do colors ever go on sale and when? I want a couple colors but would like them discounted at least. To bad they do not have single shot colors.

You get free colors from events sometimes, there was red on valentines day and maybe the patty's day event will have green.

Bolow posted:

I've been killed by a hacker like literally 3 times ever and I've gone up from Rank 4 to Rank 2 since December. 2 of those kills are from the same exact dude 2 maps in a row :shrug:

What's your KDR? Mine is 3:1 in a lot of my favorite mechs so I survive through a lot of matches and face most opponents of the enemy team in each match. I get killed under suspicious circumstance almost every time I play now. Also I play gauss vomit myself and know how hard it is to keep all damage concentrated on a single section with each alpha, so when I see someone take me down with 2-3 alphas to the same section with ease while I am twisting etc it's a pretty clear indicator.

I've been killed or witnessed more than 10 obvious cheating headshots since I started playing again.

I witness a lot less cheating when I play more brawl oriented SRM builds because those tend to die earlier in the match or kill the opponent before he gets a chance to react, but my preferred play is longer ranged sniping and you live a lot longer and usually survive till the end.

Washout fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 13, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Washout posted:

You get free colors from events sometimes, there was red on valentines day and maybe the patty's day event will have green.

What's your KDR? Mine is 3:1 in a lot of my favorite mechs so I survive through a lot of matches and face most opponents of the enemy team in each match. I get killed under suspicious circumstance almost every time I play now. Also I play gauss vomit myself and know how hard it is to keep all damage concentrated on a single section with each alpha, so when I see someone take me down with 2-3 alphas to the same section with ease while I am twisting etc it's a pretty clear indicator.

I've been killed or witnessed more than 10 obvious cheating headshots since I started playing again.

I witness a lot less cheating when I play more brawl oriented SRM builds because those tend to die earlier in the match or kill the opponent before he gets a chance to react, but my preferred play is longer ranged sniping and you live a lot longer and usually survive till the end.

If you're having a hard time focusing damage with gauss rifles I don't know what to tell you.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I think they should add a "360 No Scope" award worth a buttload of C-Bills, GXP and MC. To get it you, obviously, have to do a 360 jump jet turn then headshot someone without being zoomed in at all.

If nothing else, watching pubbies try to spin in circles and kill each other would be worth it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Astroniomix posted:

If you're having a hard time focusing damage with gauss rifles I don't know what to tell you.

It's the combination of getting all the lasers to stay on target to the same segment and get the gauss shot off and hit that same segment all in the same shot. Dual gauss is a lot easier to hit the segment you are aiming at. If someone is just staring you down at long range without twisting then you are pretty easily going to hit the CT each time, but if they are moving or poking and twisting then it's not trivial to keep everything focused.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Devorum posted:

I think they should add a "360 No Scope" award worth a buttload of C-Bills, GXP and MC. To get it you, obviously, have to do a 360 jump jet turn then headshot someone without being zoomed in at all.

If nothing else, watching pubbies try to spin in circles and kill each other would be worth it.

They get the achievement, get to see the items deposited into their account, and then 15 seconds later a popup appears saying "This account has been banned".

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Why the gently caress did MWO just tell me that my nVidia GTX 960 isn't supported?

e: :pgi:

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 13, 2016

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
while goons are almost universally never as good at games as they think they are, there is also a ton of helios hacking going on in MWO. I see at least one obvious wallhacker/aimbotter for every 2 hours I play.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Rape Stink posted:

while goons are almost universally never as good at games as they think they are, there is also a ton of helios hacking going on in MWO. I see at least one obvious wallhacker/aimbotter for every 2 hours I play.

Most of the goons I play with recognize how lovely we are, which makes my Warhawk victory all the better. Most of us are drunk and don't give a poo poo about being focused or killed quickly. I have yet to get killed by any one I think is a hacker, honestly. It's completely different in Metal Gear Online, where you face at least 1 hacker per match, and it's incredibly easy to tell.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

The Repo Man posted:

Most of the goons I play with recognize how lovely we are, which makes my Warhawk victory all the better. Most of us are drunk and don't give a poo poo about being focused or killed quickly. I have yet to get killed by any one I think is a hacker, honestly. It's completely different in Metal Gear Online, where you face at least 1 hacker per match, and it's incredibly easy to tell.

How is MGO? I never bothered to reinstall MGSV.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A bunch of cool ideas that add up to a bad shooter. Now with hilariously obvious CE hacking thanks to its PC release.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Headshots used to be a lot more common before Ghost Heat, I mean they were not super common, but quad PPC shots to a cockpit instantly killing somebody was definitely a thing. I think my record was three in one match but one was against somebody who had overheated, one was genuine skill, the other was outright missing, firing over a Cataphract's shoulder, then headshotting an Atlas I had not even seen thanks to ECM.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Skoll posted:

How is MGO? I never bothered to reinstall MGSV.

Orv posted:

A bunch of cool ideas that add up to a bad shooter. Now with hilariously obvious CE hacking thanks to its PC release.

Exactly this. It works sometimes, but it's insanely unbalanced. I love the map design though, since it encourages attempting different strategies for different classes and the fighting can happen in multiple places. The PC version occasionally has 1-2 servers you can select that have hero characters, but is filled with people who have ascended their characters 2-3 times and know every little trick by heart and are unfun to play with. To be fair, the team working on MGO recognizes a lot of the problems and are trying to fix them, but the community is dead. Like, goons bitch about MWO not having a good player base, but you can find matches. In MGO, on some days you just can't play because no one is playing at all. And now they are releasing an expansion pack for MGO that costs like...5 dollars? You get to play as Quiet (potentially), and get emotes. MGO 2 was pretty bad, but it was at least fun.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Devorum posted:

This would be the best thing. I could forgive a helios dude if this is all he did every game.

e: KDR. Washout, you're better than this. :colbert:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

teepo posted:

joke post?

Not really. Would you care to make the case for headshots in MWO?

Drythe posted:

Headshots are important for showing somewhere why to not overheat like an idiot

Or just take advantage of the fact that they're not moving or shooting to pummel the poo poo out of whatever component you fancy with essentially no risk to yourself. It's still a very harsh penalty. Lord knows I die to stupid overheats often enough without people shooting my head.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

armchairyoda posted:

This would be the best thing. I could forgive a helios dude if this is all he did every game.

e: KDR. Washout, you're better than this. :colbert:

I am horrible at articulating my point, I was trying to say I live through a lot of matches since I play a lot of sniping builds compared to brawling builds where I have a much lower KDR and die a lot earlier in the match most of the time. When you live through a lot of matches you take more note of who and how you get killed.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
If you manage to hit the tiny cockpit hitbox with your full alpha while it's bouncing around everywhere and you're both getting shot, more power to you

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

The Repo Man posted:

Exactly this. It works sometimes, but it's insanely unbalanced. I love the map design though, since it encourages attempting different strategies for different classes and the fighting can happen in multiple places. The PC version occasionally has 1-2 servers you can select that have hero characters, but is filled with people who have ascended their characters 2-3 times and know every little trick by heart and are unfun to play with. To be fair, the team working on MGO recognizes a lot of the problems and are trying to fix them, but the community is dead. Like, goons bitch about MWO not having a good player base, but you can find matches. In MGO, on some days you just can't play because no one is playing at all. And now they are releasing an expansion pack for MGO that costs like...5 dollars? You get to play as Quiet (potentially), and get emotes. MGO 2 was pretty bad, but it was at least fun.

Thank you for confirming I made the right choice. That stupid 1v1 mode they built into the SP was bad enough and I figured MGO's delayed release would just be a hacker haven.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

A.o.D. posted:

Why the gently caress did MWO just tell me that my nVidia GTX 960 isn't supported?

e: :pgi:

There's a rare bug where we don't get the right DirectX info from the video driver and it ends up in a "not supported" error. From what I know it's almost always seen after a driver update and a reboot fixes it.

E: sometimes the driver outright lies to the game and tells it that a feature is supported when it's not. Like say...DirectX 11. That's what caused all those crashes about unable to create DirectX device a while back. We were auto detecting GPU settings and using the newest DX version. Except the driver would misreport and tell us DX11 was available when it's not and the game wouldn't start.

Number19 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 13, 2016

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just put together a dual gauss jagermech. Man is it ever satisfying to nail some light mech rear end in a top hat and just instantly see 'component destroyed'.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Skoll posted:

Thank you for confirming I made the right choice. That stupid 1v1 mode they built into the SP was bad enough and I figured MGO's delayed release would just be a hacker haven.

MGO 3 is honestly the most frustrating online experience I have ever had. The whole reason they passed the online portion to an American team was because Japanese devs don't know how to code online multiplayer for poo poo. Sadly, MGO 3 has many of the same issues of MGO 2, but without the fun game modes. I'll try getting some online footage later. The lag is so bad, you would assume it's being hosted on a 56K modem.

As for the 1v1, I friended as many low level players as possible, and it worked out for me in the long run. I saved so many of their FOBs from infiltration, that mine is near impenetrable now. I have so many people friended that are online all the time that my FOB is always safe.

I tried playing MWO as a lone wolf again, and my god it's so bad. Like, Goons are bad, but in a really fun way. MWO players are just baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Washout posted:

I am horrible at articulating my point, I was trying to say I live through a lot of matches since I play a lot of sniping builds compared to brawling builds where I have a much lower KDR and die a lot earlier in the match most of the time. When you live through a lot of matches you take more note of who and how you get killed.

Sniping robots, by default, stand still alot.

Don't be that guy.

Tunnel vision is a thing.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Supraluminal posted:

Not really. Would you care to make the case for headshots in MWO?

lets start by recognizing that there isn't a solid case for a single fps to not have headshots, especially in mechwarrior online where attempting to go for the headshot without helios could potentially save your target CT a bit of armor as you try adjusting your aim looking for the damned thing.

though i'm pro as gently caress and can land a headshot pretty ez when i see it stripped -- which is never -- and i like getting headshots, esp from overheated mechs and arty strikes. terra therma is a great map for headshots :D

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

The Repo Man posted:

I tried playing MWO as a lone wolf again, and my god it's so bad. Like, Goons are bad, but in a really fun way. MWO players are just baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

you kno, i used to really enjoy solo dropping back when elo was a thing. i assume i had a fairly good elo since whenever i logged on during prime hours, i was guaranteed an amazing matchup with recognizable names and units. though it was a complete disaster outside that timeframe

now solo dropping is a pain even though it's more consistent and i refuse to ever do it, esp now that i'm nearing tier 1. i rather lose with goons, any day.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Washout posted:

When you live through a lot of matches you take more note of who and how you get killed.

And if you're paying this much attention, you are playing a bad game wrong. I've lived thru 2, maybe 3, matches... I heard that there was this magician in an e-league or something.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just pug dropped my first game in a couple weeks since nobody was in mumble.

The game went ok but a jagermech managed to snipe my head from fully armored to red using ballistics (didn't quite die). The rest of his shots hit my centre mass so I want to assume it was just a lucky shot.

He was the second last person standing on his team apart from the arctic cheetah that overheated and shut down mid jump dead centre in the Tourmaline Desert death valley.
:banjo:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

teepo posted:

lets start by recognizing that there isn't a solid case for a single fps to not have headshots

Of course there is. Do they make the game less fun? Then don't put them in.

To be clear, in my personal MWO experience so far it's been basically a non-issue. Out of my 530 kills and 287 deaths, I've gotten one (accidental) headshot kill and died to a headshot one time. But I'm just now approaching rank 3, so I wouldn't necessarily expect to see a lot of them.

I just think they don't fit well with MechWarrior combat, thematically or mechanically. It's a game about attrition. Having a spot on the mech that allows for an instant kill is unnecessary. I can't say I've seen any obvious instances of cheating, but it certainly seems like having a tiny head hitbox that most players can't/don't hit during normal play is a pretty glaring opportunity for aimbots.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lol at all you scrubs that can't headshot mans. Roll a boomjager and look up "mwo *mech* hitboxes" I find hunchbacks trivially easy.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Number19 posted:

There's a rare bug where we don't get the right DirectX info from the video driver and it ends up in a "not supported" error. From what I know it's almost always seen after a driver update and a reboot fixes it.

E: sometimes the driver outright lies to the game and tells it that a feature is supported when it's not. Like say...DirectX 11. That's what caused all those crashes about unable to create DirectX device a while back. We were auto detecting GPU settings and using the newest DX version. Except the driver would misreport and tell us DX11 was available when it's not and the game wouldn't start.

I have a Quatro 4000, I've always had this warning. nbd.

I'm also getting rid of this card soon, and for the record I did not pay for it. (outrageously priced and underperforming)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Number19 posted:

Is there a known bug with heat scaling even if you're below ghost heat threshold? Specifically I've got 4 large pulses on a Battlemaster 2C. While stationary, firing 1 takes it from 0-7% heat, 2 from 0-18%, and 3 from 0-30%. It's weird.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is there a known bug with heat scaling even if you're below ghost heat threshold? Specifically I've got 4 large pulses on a Battlemaster 2C. While stationary, firing 1 takes it from 0-7% heat, 2 from 0-18%, and 3 from 0-30%. It's weird.

Are you testing on a cold map? My understanding is that they can set you to "negative heat" initially, so you're really at -3 or -4% before your first shot even though the meter shows 0%. ~11% per LPL would be consistent with that in your example.

Test on a hotter map like Tourmaline and see what happens. Or just kick your heat up and wait until it falls back to 10% before test firing, then subtract 10% from your result.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Supraluminal posted:

Are you testing on a cold map? My understanding is that they can set you to "negative heat" initially, so you're really at -3 or -4% before your first shot even though the meter shows 0%. ~11% per LPL would be consistent with that in your example.

Test on a hotter map like Tourmaline and see what happens. Or just kick your heat up and wait until it falls back to 10% before test firing, then subtract 10% from your result.

Yeah I'm dumb it's because of map heat. Sorry never mind

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Supraluminal posted:

Of course there is. Do they make the game less fun? Then don't put them in.

To be clear, in my personal MWO experience so far it's been basically a non-issue. Out of my 530 kills and 287 deaths, I've gotten one (accidental) headshot kill and died to a headshot one time. But I'm just now approaching rank 3, so I wouldn't necessarily expect to see a lot of them.

I just think they don't fit well with MechWarrior combat, thematically or mechanically. It's a game about attrition. Having a spot on the mech that allows for an instant kill is unnecessary. I can't say I've seen any obvious instances of cheating, but it certainly seems like having a tiny head hitbox that most players can't/don't hit during normal play is a pretty glaring opportunity for aimbots.

i have no loving words

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Got a great K/D ratio? Fantastic. Now spend a month using nothing but grasshoppers and see how you go.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

teepo posted:

i have no loving words

:shrug: Okay? Not sure if you're astounded that I don't aim for heads or that I've only died to a headshot once (or both). Like I said, I'm still climbing out of the PSR basement so most of the players I see are pretty terrible. I might be pretty terrible myself for all I know, though clearly less terrible than the average player in this tier.

In the interest of becoming better at the game I could train myself to shoot heads when I get the chance, but eh. I don't know how motivated I am to make the effort. There are probably a lot of other things I can focus on that matter more.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Twisting and never ever letting yourself overheat are much more important.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Everyone bringing up their kdr is amazing. Yall are just as bad as the brown sea. This thread is headed for great places like before.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I don't think GBS can improve this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

DiHK posted:

I have a Quatro 4000, I've always had this warning. nbd.

I'm also getting rid of this card soon, and for the record I did not pay for it. (outrageously priced and underperforming)

As far as I know the game runs fine on Quadro cards so that's really odd

• Locked thread