Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Troposphere posted:

make me the show runner. replace everyone with lesbians. boom, fixed.

But then you'd never be able to kill anyone off :byodame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

WarLocke posted:

But then you'd never be able to kill anyone off :byodame:

you see if everyone was a lesbian it wouldn't be a big deal if one of them were killed off because there's a whole bunch more! truly I have found the solution.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Troposphere posted:

you see if everyone was a lesbian it wouldn't be a big deal if one of them were killed off because there's a whole bunch more! truly I have found the solution.

The 100 Lesbians

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

WarLocke posted:

The 100 Lesbians

coming this fall to logo

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm enjoying this season well enough, but the behind-the-scenes action is starting to look more interesting right now. Kane's fate is in jeopardy, but Rothenberg at the possible proverbial chopping block seems a little more interesting right now.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Alright, now I've got 3 episodes to go until I am completely caught up with season 3 and I believe this show should be titled The 100: Adults are Stupid. Pike is seriously just dumb as poo poo and I'm disappointed Bellamy is following his lead now.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Following his lead might be an upgrade. In some ways he's even more extreme.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I think the transition to killing Kane (us) versus the grounders (decidedly them) is going to break Bellamy and he's going to string up Pike on a.. Well... Pike and lead a bunch of former Pike supporters to a guaranteed bloodbath against the blockade.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, it finally clicked with me that Bellamy is a classic authoritarian and he's finally waking up to Pike. poo poo is going to get bloody as gently caress in Arkadia.

Pike wants to execute Kane, probably the other inmates too, and Bellamy is going to snap over this. Jaha and ALIE want the chips back and are dealing with Raven's 'rebellion' (that scene with her and Jasper was pretty drat intense, too) and who the hell knows what's going on with Clarke, Murphy and Titus in Polis.

I think it's 50/50 on Monty having to kill his own mom.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I think it's 50/50 on Monty having to kill his own mom.

There is that shot in the trailer of Monty screaming in anguish before he shoots someone. At the rate the season is going, it's either going to be Evil Mom or Cyber-Zombie Jasper.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This show is great, and the last couple of episodes have been drat good. I have zero desire to see them replace the show runner to placate some fans upset because their fav character was killed.

poo poo, I love Kane, he's my favorite character, and it would really suck if he dies but if he does I'm not gonna quit watching the show or anything. Same if they killed off other characters I like such as Jaha or Murphy. I would accept that it's part of the story and done for a reason.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
it's not just that he killed lexa, it's that he's also a huge rear end in a top hat that the cast is turning on who has already bullied one person (Ricky whittle) off the show

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Troposphere posted:

it's not just that he killed lexa, it's that he's also a huge rear end in a top hat that the cast is turning on who has already bullied one person (Ricky whittle) off the show

As somebody who has been on the bad side of the Dan Harmon Love Fest, even I can appreciate that you can separate the showrunner and behind the scenes drama from the end product, as long as said product is something you enjoy...

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Astroman posted:

As somebody who has been on the bad side of the Dan Harmon Love Fest, even I can appreciate that you can separate the showrunner and behind the scenes drama from the end product, as long as said product is something you enjoy...

I feel really bad for the cast for having to put up with that though. and I'd say a lot of people aren't enjoying the end product anymore :)

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Where are you all reading all this behind the scenes stuff?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Troposphere posted:

I feel really bad for the cast for having to put up with that though. and I'd say a lot of people aren't enjoying the end product anymore :)

Actually, the only person here who seems to be no longer enjoying the show is you.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

seaborgium posted:

Where are you all reading all this behind the scenes stuff?

people were tweeting about what was being said at survival con, and Ricky Whittle has come out on his Twitter and said some stuff along with his mom saying he was bullied off the show

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, the only person here who seems to be no longer enjoying the show is you.

even before lexa's death there were people posting how stupid the pike thing was but how bout you misgender me again that will show me who is boss

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh my loving god Trop, you still going on about this?

Cheer the gently caress up, eat some chocolate.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rocksicles posted:

Oh my loving god Trop, you still going on about this?

Cheer the gently caress up, eat some chocolate.

I just ate some delicious candy covered chocolate eggs so I'm doin good on that front but thanks for your concern

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I mean all she's done is respond to someone blaming the rothenberg drama on lolshippers after a page of people talking about the ricky whittle stuff and also enraged_camel who keeps making weird ad hominem snipes at her so

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Monicro posted:

I mean all she's done is respond to someone blaming the rothenberg drama on lolshippers after a page of people talking about the ricky whittle stuff and also enraged_camel who keeps making weird ad hominem snipes at her so

rofl. "keeps making weird ad hominem snipes" :rolleyes:

literally the only "bad thing" i said to her was "don't let the door hit you on your way out" which was 10 pages ago, in response to her declaring that she's gonna stop watching this show because they killed her favorite lesbian character

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This angry lesbian stuff has annoyed me in a different way.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
"As long as I personally enjoy a product, I don't care about the price in human misery it took to make it."

People who behave like Jason Rothenberg should not be rewarded for being ridiculous hateful loving bullies. Not ever, but especially not when that behavior actually affects the show's bottom line in terms of viewership and reputation.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Troposphere isn't the worst kind of shitposter, but the endless stream of them is tiresome. Especially if you "only watched the show for Lexa" and Lexa is gone now...? Sorry, I know we shouldn't post about posting.

Lycus posted:

If this is true, this is the worst I've heard of a showrunner having a poo poo relationship with his actors since the Dan Harmon/Chevy Chase thing.
Ah, come on, that was two guys that openly respected each other's work but had a personality clash in part because the actor wouldn't turn up to set. The feud was bizarrely exaggerated by The Internet. And for as much of a mess as Dan Harmon, Chevy was worse. He didn't actually start getting cut out of episodes until the next set of showrunners!

Anyway, I always thought The 100 showrunner was quite well liked. I'm really kinda surprised about all this. I'm guessing the Ricky drama is related to the spoilers he allegedly posted, so I shouldn't look too much into this?

Oh, and points about the actual episode:
  • Kane is still the best character, I loved how peaceable his plan was. And I'm furious he didn't have it in him to see it through and plow that truck straight through Bellamy's genocidal face.
  • Raven. :smith:
  • Sinclair gets more screentime! He is sensible! Yay!
  • Monty sucks now.
  • I kind of wish Pike had been taken out and then Monty's evil mum took over as the new tyrant.
  • literally had to stick Maya's name on the ipod so we knew.
  • Is this the first Clarke-less episode? That's super weird!
  • EDIT: and where the hell was Abby?!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Troposphere posted:

the fact that they were all aware of the trope and discussed it and still thought they could get away with it is what really gets me. I can forgive ignorance but thinking you're special and that you can get away with burning a huge part of your fanbase and being surprised when there's a backlash...I just don't know what they thought was going to happen. I just hope they learn from it.

Maybe they wrongfully assumed that people are rational and don't go crazy over stupid bullshit.

enraged_camel posted:

also, wow, this whole thing is proof that people always find a reason to complain about poo poo

Basically this

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Troposphere posted:

just because something doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it doesn't matter to a whole lot of people, people who made up probably the majority of the fiercely loyal fanbase of the show, and are probably going to quit watching now.

it's cool that you're not effected by the bury your gays trope, but plenty of people are. for example, because of health issues I had to move back to my small hometown where I'm deeply closeted because it's very conservative. being able to tune in every week and see a cool badass lesbian doing her thing meant a lot to me--that may sound silly to you but I don't really give a gently caress. I never had that growing up besides Tara from Buffy who, surprise, died in the same exact way.

lot's of people are in the same boat, I've seen lot's of young lesbian women absolutely devastated by this. you can pretend it doesn't mean anything and it's just a television show but for a lot of people it was very inspiring and important. I know it's cool to not care about things on SA, but try and have some empathy.

And what about my concerns about white male being killed in drove as if it was nothing? When will we get justice? :argh:
I advocate that no one should ever die in any show because no matter how you look at it, it will include a trope and will hurt someone's feelings.
In fact, television should be nothing but teletubbies from now on.

Troposphere posted:

bisexuals are not lesbians

two weeks prior to this episode airing Jroth was interviewed and said that AMC had said they were more than willing to work around Alycia's schedule. there are also more ways to write a character off a show than killing them.

You care too much and maybe identify too much to shows? 30 years ago, you'd be one of those people who think Gilligan really is trapped on an island and you have an emotional connection to him because you too, were once on a boat.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 13, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Dalael posted:

And what about my concerns about white male being killed in drove as if it was nothing? When will we get justice? :argh:
I advocate that no one should ever die in any show because no matter how you look at it, it will include a trope and will hurt someone's feelings.
In fact, television should be nothing but teletubbies from now on.
That's a really silly argument to make. It's a reasonable point that it bothers people when they lose representation on TV. Now it's unreasonable to start twitter campaigns to fire people and send death threats over it - but to conflate the antics of a few crazy people with people just having an opinion and simply feeling what they feel? That's wrong.

I know "privelege" has become an annoying internet buzzword, but the point of it is that a straight white male has never even had to THINK about their representation in the media. If you're not, you're basically constantly reminded of being a (relative) minority. So again, there's nothing unreasonable with being a bit disappointed that they happened to kill off The Gay One.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

VagueRant posted:

That's a really silly argument to make. It's a reasonable point that it bothers people when they lose representation on TV. Now it's unreasonable to start twitter campaigns to fire people and send death threats over it - but to conflate the antics of a few crazy people with people just having an opinion and simply feeling what they feel? That's wrong.

I know "privelege" has become an annoying internet buzzword, but the point of it is that a straight white male has never even had to THINK about their representation in the media. If you're not, you're basically constantly reminded of being a (relative) minority. So again, there's nothing unreasonable with being a bit disappointed that they happened to kill off The Gay One.

I actually agree with your post. I can understand how someone is annoyed that one of the characters they identify dies. I get that, but like you yourself mentioned, the twitter war, threats, etc is completely ridiculous.

As for the white male thing, I'm mostly making the point that we deal with that poo poo on a constant basis ourselves and in literally every case relating to racism or sexism, we're being told the same thing, "Stop complaining, you know not of suffering." I mean its not a subject i really give a poo poo about. I just wanted to highlight how silly those complaints are by making a silly point.

Rhyno posted:

Just imagine if every white 20-something straight male flew into a rage every time one of his own died in a film or tv show.

I'm not belittling, I'm saying imagine how hilarious it would be.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 13, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

jfood posted:

I think the new commander is an eight year-old. Thank gently caress that segment of the fanbase will be super quiet when he gets shanked.

I for one, can't wait to see all those 12 years old take to twitter and threaten not to do their homework.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

no no, it just can't be a "shock death", as in her death should be very predictable and mundane. it would definitely make a more compelling storytelling!

Lexa, badass warrior, Commander of the Grounders, leader of the 13 clan, the uniter, died peacefully in her sleep.

Makes for good tv if you ask me. :colbert:

Sober posted:

Well maybe not, I seem to get the impression most people are fine with how Lexa's death was handled in the grand scheme of things and I don't think anyone is arguing for queer plot armour, but I do think the specific imagery and setup of the specific shot probably hits a sore spot in some people - a thing I was not aware of until I was shown re: that scene in Buffy. So I can see why it's a bit of a sticking point. That and the fact that you'll still be hard pressed even with 400 scripted prime time shows on US television to find another with a fairly central or even secondary f/f relationship pairing.

That scene in Buffy was over a decade ago by now. People should do like Elsa and 'Let it go'.

hollylolly posted:

That actress doesn't play a lesbian on Fear the Walking Dead, though. She plays a very annoying teenager with a dead boyfriend. :shrug: so following her there would be abandoning the other, alive LGBQT characters on The 100 for a show with zero of those kinds of characters. :confused:

TWD does have a couple gay and lesbian couples who are doing well, though. For now.

Am I the only one who thinks the real controversy here is that she left The 100 (a great show) for Fear the Walking Dead (something I hope will die by next season)?

Troposphere posted:

we will have to agree to disagree about Lexa (I honestly wouldn't have had such a problem with her death if it wasn't so badly written and gave her some agency in the situation and wasn't Tara 2.0. have her go out taking down Pike or something cool, that's all I really want, and what I thought was coming when they projected her death so hard. THAT would have been a good send off in my eyes) but agree about what a terrible show once upon a time is, and that Emma and Regina should definitely bang.

that Ruby/Mulan poo poo was such an obvious oh here we will throw you guys a bone move and it ended up being so laughably weak.

I think the issue is that no matter how she died, she's be Sarah 2.0 or Charlotte 3.5 or Ygrith 1.3
My point is you would find another reason to complain about it and/or point to another similar death because lets face it, no death on tv is original by now. They could literally drop a piano on her head, and I could point to at least 3 movies that did it.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 13, 2016

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Dalael posted:

we deal with that poo poo on a constant basis ourselves

Actually I think you'll find that white guys aren't under-represented on TV or in popular culture more generally.

Anyway, Kane's moral high-grounding will hopefully be enough to turn Bellamy and Monty around, I enjoyed that episode quite a bit. Raven now being in rebellion against the AI in her own head is also taking the matrix storyline down a neat route.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

FiestaNinja posted:

Actually I think you'll find that white guys aren't under-represented on TV or in popular culture more generally.

Anyway, Kane's moral high-grounding will hopefully be enough to turn Bellamy and Monty around, I enjoyed that episode quite a bit. Raven now being in rebellion against the AI in her own head is also taking the matrix storyline down a neat route.

I was not talking about being under-represented. I'm talking about them being killed without a second thought. And as stated, I was just making a silly point to show how the whole argument is silly. Basically, I'm just being as dismissive as those who say, "Who cares, its just a white guy dying"

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
But you understand that when they kill off someone who is already under-represented, it's kinda worse? It's not like even Genghis Clarke is running dry the supplies of brown-haired white guys on TV.

There's sort of two trains of thought I have about this kind of thing. The 100 as a piece of storytelling should be able to exist in a vacuum and they should be able to write the story they want without worrying about being ambassadorial for the unrepresented at that particular point in society*. But on the other hand, it is cool when shows DO take that challenge on, and it's still valid for someone to feel let down when they don't.

On the other OTHER hand, I always thought Lexa was a dumb poo poo character and was horribly miscast, and that plotline couldn't have really gone anywhere interesting. So it trips me out that people care so much. Basically: Clarke x ShopLady foreva. She was badass, and didn't give Clarke up to that bounty hunter dude! :D

*of course the other end of the spectrum is the weirdly tone deaf things like The Walking Dead season 3 where they killed off the only black male character and introduced another to replace him, then did it again, and then did it a third time leading the fans to the Black Highlander theory. No one's saying that those showrunners are actively racist, but they are hilariously dumb. TV is weird!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, it finally clicked with me that Bellamy is a classic authoritarian and he's finally waking up to Pike. poo poo is going to get bloody as gently caress in Arkadia.

Bellamy is a follower. He needs to be backing somebody else's play or he's left flailing uselessly in the breeze. During season 2 (when most people agree he was at his best), he was following Clarke. By the end of the season, he had all but dropped to his knees to pledge his fealty and proclaim himself her vassal. Then she goes on walkabout and he had to find someone else to follow. He tried with Abby and Kane, but Abby's a poo poo leader and Kane was trying too hard to follow the rules. Then Pike rolls in, all "Protect our people" and "This is a zero-sum game", and Bellamy the follower falls right in line.

Basically, he totally needs the bitch slapping he's going to get from his sister, but what he really needs is Clarke. (no shipping) And not the gentle, compromising Clarke of a few episodes ago (hence his rejection at the time), but the gives-no-fucks Clarke of season 2. Bellamy is a follower of Wanheda.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I did find it a bit of a tough sell that the big swing for Bellamy wasn't the slaughtering hundreds of sleeping allies in their beds, but that Father Figure #1 was going to be executed.

Again, there's just no redemption for him in my eyes and it sucks. I liked him so much in season 2.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

qbert posted:

I expect my fiction to be better written than real life.

Although The 100's always been just okay for me, but this season's been especially bad.

I think fiction needs to remain realistic when it comes to human psychology. Otherwise it feels off.

hollylolly posted:

I thought this was a great episode and I'm really interested to see how Raven's little rebellion is going to go over (or what they're going to do about it) with Jaha and ALIE.

Although I do wish Bellamy had been punched in the face a few more times. :shrug:

Its coming. I just can't wait to see Octavia beat the poo poo out of him. Been waiting for that part ever since the season trailer came out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Re: Survivalcon -- I get the sense that there's been some misinformation being thrown about. As far as I can tell, Ricky Whittle's the only one who's definitely been criticizing Jason Rothenburg -- and even then, it's not clear what he said. It's probably a good idea to wait for actual videos to surface, rather than taking what a bunch of aggravated twitter posters have been saying at face value. I mean, I'm not saying that they've been misrepresenting the truth, but it's not clear that they haven't, either. And I'm simply not ready to believe anyone at this point.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 13, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spergatory posted:

"As long as I personally enjoy a product, I don't care about the price in human misery it took to make it."

People who behave like Jason Rothenberg should not be rewarded for being ridiculous hateful loving bullies. Not ever, but especially not when that behavior actually affects the show's bottom line in terms of viewership and reputation.

Human misery? I guarantee you Ricky Whittle made more than me in the last year, and probably more than anyone posting here. These are highly paid actors who make thousands or tens of thousands per episode. They also don't work half the time. An actor might have to go in 7 days a week for grueling shoots, but other times they wake up on a Wednesday and do nothing and do the same for weeks on end. Or the "work" of going to parties and premieres. I'm not saying entertainers don't work hard, but they aren't mining coal or stocking poo poo in an Amazon warehouse in 90 degree heat.

VagueRant posted:

Troposphere isn't the worst kind of shitposter, but the endless stream of them is tiresome. Especially if you "only watched the show for Lexa" and Lexa is gone now...?

This is what annoys me, because sure I guess if you just tuned in when you heard about this awesome character Lexa who represented something to you personally and was a nice role model/personal audience insert and shedied you'd want to give up. But a lot of us here have been watching since Day One, and one character death (a character who wasn't even in the show in the beginning) isn't enough for us to agree that the show should tank in the ratings or get cancelled or the showrunner should be fired.

VagueRant posted:

Oh, and points about the actual episode:
  • Kane is still the best character, I loved how peaceable his plan was. And I'm furious he didn't have it in him to see it through and plow that truck straight through Bellamy's genocidal face.
  • Raven. :smith:
  • Sinclair gets more screentime! He is sensible! Yay!
  • Monty sucks now.
  • I kind of wish Pike had been taken out and then Monty's evil mum took over as the new tyrant.
  • literally had to stick Maya's name on the ipod so we knew.
  • Is this the first Clarke-less episode? That's super weird!
  • EDIT: and where the hell was Abby?!

Abby and Clarke were Fridged! They may never come back! :tinfoil:

I think Monty and Bellamy have finally come around to the Right Way of Thinking, though it may be too late to fix poo poo without further consequences and death. It also seems like Raven might be breaking her programming but it's going to take a lot to stop ALIE, and right now nobody is trying to stop it. While all the drama is going on with the Grounder War they are ignorant to a larger threat under their noses...

Kane really impressed me with his speech about the Old Rules vs New World We Live In. It shows that finally Kane actually gets it, and if he can come out alive he'll make an excellent Chancellor for the new Arkers On Earth civilization in a way that Old Kane, Abby, and Jaha would not. He was pretty good when he was in charge/quasi in charge last season, but he always got hung up on the Old Rules. Laws and rules are important, and they don't need to throw them out, but they do need to modify them to make sense. I only hope it's not too late for him. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

VagueRant posted:

I did find it a bit of a tough sell that the big swing for Bellamy wasn't the slaughtering hundreds of sleeping allies in their beds, but that Father Figure #1 was going to be executed.

Again, there's just no redemption for him in my eyes and it sucks. I liked him so much in season 2.

I can see this. I mean, a lot of real-life authoritarians don't have a well-developed sense of empathy. poo poo isn't real until it happens to them.

Agreed that it's going to be hard to turn his character round though, he's been burning his bridges pretty enthusiastically.

• Locked thread