Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You're being hired for a position, not a career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

rscott posted:

It's neoliberalism as a mindset. Capital looks all over the world for the best return, that's globalism in a nutshell. Labor isn't that lucky, what with citizenship and immigration frictions and all of that junk, but moving all over the United States every 3-5 years in an effort to get the best wages in your chosen career is becoming increasingly necessary and the expected. Things that tie you down to an area, like family, friends, a mortgage, or children are a hindrance to making a living wage in our post industrial economy. Part of that is inevitable simply because it is easier than ever to move cross country, but quite a lot of it is caused by a race to the bottom between various regions and locales in the US competing to offer the most favorable tax status and least regulated labor rights to companies in an effort to attract them, which is a microcosm of the situation in the wider world.
All true. See "Right to work" states rushing to see who can sell out their workers fastest.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

go3 posted:

You're being hired for a position, not a career.

It's almost like our system is lovely for the people doing the bulk of the work.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rscott posted:

It's neoliberalism as a mindset. Capital looks all over the world for the best return, that's globalism in a nutshell. Labor isn't that lucky, what with citizenship and immigration frictions and all of that junk, but moving all over the United States every 3-5 years in an effort to get the best wages in your chosen career is becoming increasingly necessary and the expected. Things that tie you down to an area, like family, friends, a mortgage, or children are a hindrance to making a living wage in our post industrial economy. Part of that is inevitable simply because it is easier than ever to move cross country, but quite a lot of it is caused by a race to the bottom between various regions and locales in the US competing to offer the most favorable tax status and least regulated labor rights to companies in an effort to attract them, which is a microcosm of the situation in the wider world.

Again, not really. Companies are perfectly able and willing to offer a wide variety of jobs and pay scales. What they're not willing to do is promote existing employees to a significant degree.

So you could have low or non-existent raises for years, get an offer from another company, work there for two years, and get an offer back from the first company for a lot higher than what you made earlier, despite the fact that the only change is that you're not presently working at the original company.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

rscott posted:

You seem to be ignoring the fact that low wages and poor regulations correlate to 'this place needs jobs'. The fact that capital seeks those places out is not terrible.

Like how do you see protections functioning in the U.S. without hurting the prospects of, say, the rust belt attracting new investment.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

computer parts posted:

Again, not really. Companies are perfectly able and willing to offer a wide variety of jobs and pay scales. What they're not willing to do is promote existing employees to a significant degree.

So you could have low or non-existent raises for years, get an offer from another company, work there for two years, and get an offer back from the first company for a lot higher than what you made earlier, despite the fact that the only change is that you're not presently working at the original company.

This sounds retarded.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

computer parts posted:

I agree that this is kind of dumb and frustrating, but on the other hand, the cross pollination that happens when people frequently change jobs is part of what made Silicon Valley's tech industry so strong. The ideal for a company is probably a mix of old-timers with institutional knowledge and newbies that bring with them new ideas/best practices.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This sounds retarded.

Its very retarded but is the logical conclusion you begin referring to people as 'resources'. If you start looking at employees as people that can learn and grow their skillset and become capable of more than they were initially hired to do, they you might actually see them as a person and not just a line on a spreadsheet and that can cause problems when you need to start deleting those lines on a spreadsheet.

Unless of course you're smart enough to realize that this resource can be given additional responsibilities with no increase in pay. Now we're cookin' with gas!

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
If swapping jobs every time you want to "move up" is the only way to go how does anyone ever get long service leave? Is portable LSL common in the tech industry or something?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Tasmantor posted:

If swapping jobs every time you want to "move up" is the only way to go how does anyone ever get long service leave? Is portable LSL common in the tech industry or something?

Lol you know the answer

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cicero posted:

I agree that this is kind of dumb and frustrating, but on the other hand, the cross pollination that happens when people frequently change jobs is part of what made Silicon Valley's tech industry so strong. The ideal for a company is probably a mix of old-timers with institutional knowledge and newbies that bring with them new ideas/best practices.

Yeah, but the ideal for getting a company *funded* is everybody under 30. Or in India or Russia.

e: I have negotiated for extra vacation when moving from one company to another. Sometimes they'll do it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This sounds retarded.

Retarded, but extremely common. I'm on my fourth company in eight years now, specifically due to the huge disconnect between outside hire wages and internal raises/promotion benefits.

quote:

If by long service leave you mean "more vacation due to years of service," you negotiate it into your contracts when you get an offer. "Hey, I have ten years of experience; I'd be getting 15 days of vacation at place X, so you have to beat that." Then the employer either meets your demand or they don't, and you decide if it's worth it. At my current role, I was offered 5 days of vacation (company's year-one vacation total) and settled on 15 after negotiation.

The place job-hopping does break down is in pension eligibility (if it's even offered). You never really accrue any pension credits at your workplaces. That being said, it's so easy to legally nullify a pension in the USA that there's no point banking on one anyway. Bank on the salary and put your own money away, because hoping for a pension (even one you've vested in) is a fool's game.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This sounds retarded.

Welcome to the IT industry, where the titles are made up and the raises are nonexistant.

Tasmantor posted:

I'm not familiar with the concept. Leave is what they reduce every year because it costs too much productivity when you've 'right sized' your staffing to mean that anyone wanting a day off is actively hurting your ability to hit deliverables.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 13, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tasmantor posted:

If swapping jobs every time you want to "move up" is the only way to go how does anyone ever get long service leave?

You tell your next employers you can start working there in a month or two.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Doc Hawkins posted:

You tell your next employers you can start working there in a month or two.

More than once I have quit and then returned to the same company (with no intervening employment) just to get a sabbatical.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

What

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

A year's worth of experience in a non-poo poo position raises your (bubble-driven) market rate more than any normal company will ever give as an annual raise. It might make more sense to just pay people more, but I don't know any companies besides Netflix that actually do it. The numbers just seem too insane to budget.

I've had five jobs in the past four years (obviously, some of them were rapidly-corrected mistakes), and my salary has gone from 80 to 180. Who the gently caress would approve raises like that?

Of course, kids fresh out of the right college who manage to get duelling offers from Facebook and Google will get low 200s. I'm curious to see what their careers look like in the fullness of time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The biggest problem is that you don't get competent programmers for cheap. Programmers are expensive to hire but programming is a slow, difficult thing pretty much no matter how you slice it. Everybody wants veteran coders but not many places are willing to pay to develop new veteran coders.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Everybody wants veteran coders but not many places are willing to pay to develop new veteran coders.
Nope. Everybody wants programmers with >3 <10 years of experience. Once you're over 50 Silicon Valley doesn't want you, with rare exceptions. (This has made multiple newspapers.)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tasmantor posted:

Swapping jobs isn't the only way to move up, it's just the fastest way. And not all companies really suck at compensation, Google has been quite fair to me, at least so far.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cicero posted:

Swapping jobs isn't the only way to move up, it's just the fastest way. And not all companies really suck at compensation, Google has been quite fair to me, at least so far.

Hahahahaha, you work for the top tech company in the world and your perspective is incredibly skewed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

computer parts posted:

When I was working private sector I knew people that pulled this after HR flatly stated 5% was the largest raise they could give them. They came back a year later thee positions higher with a 30-40% bump in pay. Sometimes I wondered if the company was actually using it as a way to get information about their competitors' operations.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Tasmantor posted:

"wikipedia posted:

It (long service leave) remains one of the great entitlements for working Australians and one that is peculiar to the Australian labour market.

But to actually answer your question many of the larger tech companies offer sabbaticals, whether it's 1 month after 5 years, 8 weeks after 7 years, or whatever.

WampaLord posted:

Hahahahaha, you work for the top tech company in the world and your perspective is incredibly skewed.

He's not wrong though. For most people, the easiest way to increase salary is to job hop, and if you aren't at a company that has sufficiently high pay then laterally moving to one that does is usually the best option. For people who are very good at their jobs and are already at companies that pay a lot, the fastest way to increase salary is usually to get promoted. After a certain point it can get hard to negotiate promotions and raises via job hopping (or even to retain an equivalent title), especially if your prior company has had a lot of stock appreciation. But making it to senior or beyond senior at a company that has similar comp to Google gets very lucrative (250-400k is the ballpark for total compensation at senior and it grows very rapidly beyond that level).

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 13, 2016

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This sounds retarded.

I told a VP of Engineering that I worked with that it was pretty obvious that the easy way (and only at a sadly large number of places) to get promoted was to company hop and he disagreed quite vehemently.

He wasn't a VP of Engineering at the company he had been working at 6 months prior to this conversation.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ocrumsprug posted:

I told a VP of Engineering that I worked with that it was pretty obvious that the easy way (and only at a sadly large number of places) to get promoted was to company hop and he disagreed quite vehemently.

He wasn't a VP of Engineering at the company he had been working at 6 months prior to this conversation.

gently caress that guy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

blah_blah posted:

He's not wrong though. For most people, the easiest way to increase salary is to job hop, and if you aren't at a company that has sufficiently high pay then laterally moving to one that does is usually the best option. For people who are very good at their jobs and are already at companies that pay a lot, the fastest way to increase salary is usually to get promoted. After a certain point it can get hard to negotiate promotions and raises via job hopping (or even to retain an equivalent title), especially if your prior company has had a lot of stock appreciation. But making it to senior or beyond senior at a company that has similar comp to Google gets very lucrative (250-400k is the ballpark for total compensation at senior and it grows very rapidly beyond that level).

I hate everything about this.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Countblanc posted:

I hate everything about this.

If job hopping was universally the best option then that would be a much worse state of affairs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Furthermore, if you stay too long at a company (barring a ridiculous success like Google or Facebook) there's a definite taint of "why didn't anybody else want to hire him/her?" Staying at a known sinking company is very bad for the resume; people are saying in press interviews right now that they wouldn't hire anybody with Yahoo as their last job, because the assumption is that they're losers or they would have gotten out years ago.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Furthermore, if you stay too long at a company (barring a ridiculous success like Google or Facebook) there's a definite taint of "why didn't anybody else want to hire him/her?" Staying at a known sinking company is very bad for the resume; people are saying in press interviews right now that they wouldn't hire anybody with Yahoo as their last job, because the assumption is that they're losers or they would have gotten out years ago.

I disagree with you about the 50+ thing (I think the way the industry has grown there just aren't very many 50+ programmers to hire when compared to the masses of 25 year olds you can hire) but this is totally true. Staying somewhere longer than three years is career death unless you are at a director level or higher.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like I should chime in with this not being a tech only situation. It's a known thing in advertising across the board, and I've worked with multiple people who left a company for 6 or less months so they could get the promotion/pay raise they wanted at their original company. Loyalty can be rewarded, but being a mercenary will pay dividends.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Reading this thread as someone who graduated with a non-tech degree in 2007 makes me want to jump off a bridge. Hearing people toss out figures like 80,000-200,000 as no big deal is extremely disheartening. Someone talk me down, please. :smith:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Reading this thread as someone who graduated with a non-tech degree in 2007 makes me want to jump off a bridge. Hearing people toss out figures like 80,000-200,000 as no big deal is extremely disheartening. Someone talk me down, please. :smith:

If you die, take a few oligarchs with you to hell.

If you don't die by drowning in a pool of capitalist blood, you're doing it wrong!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
loving christ, you can't learn anything about my industry in just 2-3 years of working there. I know folks with 30 year pins.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Solkanar512 posted:

loving christ, you can't learn anything about my industry in just 2-3 years of working there. I know folks with 30 year pins.

Sounds like your industry is about to get disrupted by a bunch of twentysomethings* :smug:

*Who copy what you're doing, hire more twentysomethings to work an extra 20h per week for the same pay, and ignore all regulation until the court cases catch up with them after a decade and a billion in profits

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nope. Everybody wants programmers with >3 <10 years of experience. Once you're over 50 Silicon Valley doesn't want you, with rare exceptions. (This has made multiple newspapers.)

That's the part that confuses me the most, honestly; I have a CS degree and did very, very well in college. I even studied math and design so I was more than just a CS major. I'm all like "I have several skills!" but every single position I see up anywhere is senior this, experienced that. I send in resumes anyway but I get returns of absolute silence or rejections. I can pass code tests, I can explain things beyond what the expect of a standard CS major, I can point to things I've done...

But it's always "do you have three year's experience? No? Then go away." It's like...if nobody wants to let you get experience then you don't get experienced employees.

I also keep seeing "go study tech!" everywhere. "There are hundreds of thousands of job openings! There aren't enough developers!" but 90% of the positions are companies trying to snipe each others' talent rather than letting a new guy enter the industry.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's all about them internships. There's a stupid high hire rate for folks who interned at the big tech companies.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

the talent deficit posted:

I disagree with you about the 50+ thing (I think the way the industry has grown there just aren't very many 50+ programmers to hire when compared to the masses of 25 year olds you can hire) but this is totally true. Staying somewhere longer than three years is career death unless you are at a director level or higher.

:barf: gently caress this attitude

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's the part that confuses me the most, honestly; I have a CS degree and did very, very well in college. I even studied math and design so I was more than just a CS major. I'm all like "I have several skills!" but every single position I see up anywhere is senior this, experienced that. I send in resumes anyway but I get returns of absolute silence or rejections. I can pass code tests, I can explain things beyond what the expect of a standard CS major, I can point to things I've done...

But it's always "do you have three year's experience? No? Then go away." It's like...if nobody wants to let you get experience then you don't get experienced employees.

I also keep seeing "go study tech!" everywhere. "There are hundreds of thousands of job openings! There aren't enough developers!" but 90% of the positions are companies trying to snipe each others' talent rather than letting a new guy enter the industry.

Don't forget, it's three years experience in a tech that's only been out for eighteen months in most cases. :D

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Its all going on rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well most openings are for experience because most of the workforce has some. But companies aren't dumb. Entry people can do tedious work and if employers are lucky, deliver near senior results after a couple years for much less pay. So entry positions will open up.

But another comment is that versatility doesn't always pay. I do a mix of different hardware, FPGA and some software. When I tested the waters for alternative positions a while back I hit a design firm that wanted exactly this. And I hit an opening that was FPGA only. The FPGA specialty would have paid way more.

Also if you make it look like you're picky and that you need a position utilizing your specific skills, that's a turn off.