Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hitman is part of a nontraditional lineage of having their best levels not at the beginning or the end but some weird midpoint. Seems like SOP for early 2000s franchises, Deus Ex did the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Does the new hitman have more clearly delineated lines of sight? That always bugged me in the old games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Hitman is great because having a bunch of Danish game developers try and approximate American culture just leads to a bunch of borderline offensive garbage like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhhc2DOQYaM

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lady Naga posted:

Hitman is part of a nontraditional lineage of having their best levels not at the beginning or the end but some weird midpoint. Seems like SOP for early 2000s franchises, Deus Ex did the same thing.

I never played it but I like the sound of that. I get annoyed when games blow all their really good stuff on the early levels. I mean, I know why, a lot of gamers and (especially) reviewers will only see the early stuff, but it's annoying when games backload the crap. And of course, Deus Ex: HR was the worst case of that with the last level being such a drop in quality from the rest of the game that it was startling.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The first Hitman movie was downright tragic because Timothy Olyphant is such a charismatic dude that having him play Agent 47 was so bad it looped around to being funny.

The second Hitman movie wasn't amazing but it had some fun setpieces, even if the ending was the biggest cocktease.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

bloodychill posted:

I never played it but I like the sound of that. I get annoyed when games blow all their really good stuff on the early levels. I mean, I know why, a lot of gamers and (especially) reviewers will only see the early stuff, but it's annoying when games backload the crap. And of course, Deus Ex: HR was the worst case of that with the last level being such a drop in quality from the rest of the game that it was startling.

The best case scenario is something like Sonic where the first levels are essentially guided tours of all the neat stuff that gives way to slower & more complex puzzle design.

I'm just speculating but I'm assuming a lot of it is because of the influx of devs who were really good at their specific jobs but less so about design ethos so a lot of first levels were legitimately the first ones finished.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sleeveless posted:

Hitman is great because having a bunch of Danish game developers try and approximate American culture just leads to a bunch of borderline offensive garbage like

:yikes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Snak posted:

Hitman has really interesting stealth options though. Both line of sight and disguises and alternate routes are all generally available in some form. Diversionary tactics also. For example, in the White House level of Blood Money, you can place a remote mine in a tourist's suitcase, and when she goes through the metal detector, all the guards swarm her. You can then detonate the mine, walk into the room full of corpses, and put on one of their uniforms before reinforcements show up. Or you can walk through the metal detector yourself with no weapons and strangle a guard in the bathroom. Or you can walk in with an m16 and 6 100 round magazines and just terminator the place up like you don't give a gently caress. Or you can- the list goes on.

Ok this sounds fantastic and now I kind of want to pony up the 15 for the... trial? paid demo?... to see if I like the series

Should I do it, chat thread

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The best is the rap song that's just a bunch of generic barks over a beat.

YO- HOL UP

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Ok this sounds fantastic and now I kind of want to pony up the 15 for the... trial? paid demo?... to see if I like the series

I have no idea, but the game I was just talking about is 9 dollars on steam.
so you could get a really great entire game for 9 dollars and then decide how much you want to buy into this newest entry.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
New Hitman has a severe lack of embarrassing poo poo, suprisingly. At least so far anyway.

Drowning people in toilets is the only right way of killing as well.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

The best is the rap song that's just a bunch of generic barks over a beat.

YO- HOL UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGX2CUcJTA0

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looking through my Steam list I noticed I bought Risky's Revenge a few years ago but never once played it. Before trying it I decided to give the original Shantae a shot and man it's frustrating to play. I was expecting a more refined Metroidvania adventure but it plays more like Castlevania II.

Did it just not age well?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mak0rz posted:

Looking through my Steam list I noticed I bought Risky's Revenge a few years ago but never once played it. Before trying it I decided to give the original Shantae a shot and man it's frustrating to play. I was expecting a more refined Metroidvania adventure but it plays more like Castlevania II.

Did it just not age well?
Yeah, I think it just didn't age well. Risky's Revenge has some problems too, but its still good. Pirate's Curse is when Wayforward finally got the formula down.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Has there been any update on the kickstarted one? It seems like it kind of fell off the face of the earth and I was really excited for it because I though they did an amazing job with Ducktales Remastered. And it looked like the kickstarted one was going to be similar to that.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

Everything about this is beautiful.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just making sure from the steam page, the Hitman - Full Experience pack is the same (but five bucks cheaper) as buying the intro pack then later buying th eupgrade pack, right

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

StashAugustine posted:

Also since I can't play Hitman I've been playing World in Conflict and it owns

I hope Mike and Anton find batteries for that CD player.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Talking about Hitman reminded me of how ugly the transition from last to current gen was this time around. During the PS2 era you either had stuff like Blood Money or Chaos Theory where they're the exact same game with a lower polycount and fewer fancy shaders, or the last gen versions were completely different games like Sonic Unleashed or Double Agent. This time around last-gen consoles generally got horribly stripped-down versions that tried to compromise while holding the original idea.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
the intro to blood money is the only time i imagine anybody has ever felt bad for their target

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's really weird because it tries to set up the idea that 47 is an amoral killer and it doesn't matter who his target is he just gets the job done, but then all your other targets are like drug lords or generally lovely people and its like well whats the point then?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I imagine it is because they want to set up a lot of fun ways to kill bad people and blood money wouldn't be as fun if your targets were people you felt sorry for and wished you didn't have to kill

it'd be weird if they gave you all these toys to play with in regards to assassinating someone and then all the targets were generally nice people or people who have lost their way but aren't necessarily bad people, just people who have been dealt a bad hand

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

Hitman has really interesting stealth options though. Both line of sight and disguises and alternate routes are all generally available in some form. Diversionary tactics also. For example, in the White House level of Blood Money, you can place a remote mine in a tourist's suitcase, and when she goes through the metal detector, all the guards swarm her. You can then detonate the mine, walk into the room full of corpses, and put on one of their uniforms before reinforcements show up. Or you can walk through the metal detector yourself with no weapons and strangle a guard in the bathroom. Or you can walk in with an m16 and 6 100 round magazines and just terminator the place up like you don't give a gently caress. Or you can- the list goes on.

i liked to stash poo poo in suitcases and throw them over the fence

but actually my favorite way to kill people in blood money was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgP3OYgax_4

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FirstAidKite posted:

I imagine it is because they want to set up a lot of fun ways to kill bad people and blood money wouldn't be as fun if your targets were people you felt sorry for and wished you didn't have to kill

it'd be weird if they gave you all these toys to play with in regards to assassinating someone and then all the targets were generally nice people or people who have lost their way but aren't necessarily bad people, just people who have been dealt a bad hand

One would assume that to warrant the attention of a killer of 47's calibre, you've got to be somebody who is either kind of important or heavily-guarded, so that does limit potential targets some.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

It's really weird because it tries to set up the idea that 47 is an amoral killer and it doesn't matter who his target is he just gets the job done, but then all your other targets are like drug lords or generally lovely people and its like well whats the point then?

47 was only an amoral killer until he converted to catholicism in hitman 2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

just buy hitman blood money instead imho

like if you've never played a hitman before why not start with the best

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

8-Bit Scholar posted:

One would assume that to warrant the attention of a killer of 47's calibre, you've got to be somebody who is either kind of important or heavily-guarded, so that does limit potential targets some.
Yeah, its canon that 47's and the Agency's services don't come cheap, so you pretty much have to be a huge rear end in a top hat for someone to drop down the dough for a hit.

They also work with governments too, MI6 is the client of the Paris mission in the new game. So the Agency doesn't send 47 to kill people that could give them a lot of heat.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 13, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lady Naga posted:

The initial mission is to set up 47's character and the rest of the game is for you to enjoy it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I think it just didn't age well. Risky's Revenge has some problems too, but its still good. Pirate's Curse is when Wayforward finally got the formula down.

Is it worth playing at all or should I just skip it?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I forget, is 2 canonically the last one? I think that's the one where he tried to hang up the assassination stuff for good, yeah?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mak0rz posted:

Is it worth playing at all or should I just skip it?

risky's revenge is less than three hours long so you might as well play it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

I forget, is 2 canonically the last one? I think that's the one where he tried to hang up the assassination stuff for good, yeah?

In the ending to 2 he becomes an assassin again, but this time with the consent of the roman catholic church

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

just buy hitman blood money instead imho

like if you've never played a hitman before why not start with the best

it looks from casual googling that blood money doesn't hold hands at all and I'm a hopeless idiot, is that gonna cause a problem?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

it looks from casual googling that blood money doesn't hold hands at all and I'm a hopeless idiot, is that gonna cause a problem?

I mean, not really? You might fail and die a lot, but you can play on easy and it's the most fun to try stuff and see what works. There's a tutorial, I'm sure.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Lol, Hitman wasn't an amoral killer? Hitman kills people for money. Not sure what's more amoral than that?

^^

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ravane posted:

Lol, Hitman wasn't an amoral killer? Hitman kills people for money. Not sure what's more amoral than that?

^^

Capitalism and amorality aren't the same thing. American soldiers sign up to kill for money for example.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQdE3ydNvCU

Sadly this clip is missing the beginning, where they're in a Mexican standoff with pistols and all spontaneously agree to pull swords out from behind their backs and settle things honorably with a swordfight.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Hitman movies' biggest mistake was making 47 the protagonist, when it would been better if they just made one of his targets the protagonist and make 47 the ominous and deadly threat. Either that or make a few cops the protags and they're trying to track 47 down.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Accordion Man posted:

The Hitman movies' biggest mistake was making 47 the protagonist, when it would been better if they just made one of his targets the protagonist and make 47 the ominous and deadly threat.

They did this with the Agent 47 movie that came out last year, it was OK.

The Mechanic is still the best Hitman movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHDXZRviRaI

• Locked thread