Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

khy posted:

What do you guys like to listen to while playing?

In-game music is nice and all but gets old after a bit.

Korpiklaani. Finnish folk metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKE2s1ckoi0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I played this game some time ago and I wandered around for a while without finding anything but trees, then quit because it wasn't any fun, is it different now?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

packetmantis posted:

I played this game some time ago and I wandered around for a while without finding anything but trees, then quit because it wasn't any fun, is it different now?

How big are you on wide, open, empty wilderness? There's plenty of stuff to see and do but you have to find it and the world is big enough that that can be a challenge.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

packetmantis posted:

You're supposed to do stuff with the trees.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
How do you identify a cave on the world map? Also what is the probability of a bear being in the cave?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Nordick posted:

This. Carving out a niche in the wilderness is kind of the whole point.

Or just pick the start that puts you next to a village I guess, but the map is lousy with villages, they're not exactly difficult to find. My characters have to travel for days to set up camp away from them all.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Molybdenum posted:

How do you identify a cave on the world map? Also what is the probability of a bear being in the cave?
Its a black circle backdropped with a mountain

A lot of things need to line up right to run into an animal actually inside the cave but it will be an awful time if there is and you forgot to light your torch. More likely you will find den preferring animals in the surrounding area so they can be a good spot to set traps. I've spotted and subsequently trapped a fox and a bear around a cave in my current game.

Nordick posted:

Trees are so fun you'll wish you could share your characters bear pipe so you can stay up all night playing as your character staying up all night lumberjacking.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
One thing I'm having to get used to is how dark it is at night now. I hadn't played in a long time so maybe it's not even new, but I can't just have my character cheerfully ignore the time of day and work till he drops now when my screen is basically solid black from late night till midnight. Even a fire doesn't seem to have much of a light radius.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don't use it myself but you can adjust how dark the night gets in the settings if you want. Still cuts down vision range though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It depends on season and latitude too. Near midsummer and mid map, the dead of night is still twilight and by fall and midwinter the inky night starts leaking into evenings and mornings. The seasonal extremes are magnified at the north end of the map.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Me - 3. Turns out it's 4.

Njerpez warriors - 0.

Took out three of them thus far without taking a single hit from any of them. Helps that I can block with my spear like a boss.

Pictured : the third warrior about to get stabbed IN THE EYE.

I found a single driik village selling cows. Most of that Njerpez Warrior's poo poo ended up going into the 'buy me a cow' fund.

Shortly after killing this guy I stumbled across another one. Hid the second I saw him, he didn't realize I was there and fell asleep (It was EARLY in the morning). He took an arrow in the shoulder, rushed me, took an arrow in the gut, passed out, then got stabbed in the neck with my spear and died.

And just because, here's my current homestead.

The building I'm in is my home. The building in the top-right is my sauna/smokehouse. The cellar out in front of my home has ~300 smoked and dried meat in it. The bed is lined with forest reindeer furs and arctic fox fur. The fence around the top of the house encloses a modest property; on the left you can see the first of the fenced-in paddocks I have containing a sheep, a pig, and a cow. The sheep and cow are mainly for milk, the pig is emergency food. It's too late in the year to start farming but next year I'm going to try some turnip farming.

At this point I'm pretty much guaranteed to live forever, so my goal now is to get a shitload of furs, trade them for a shitload of the strongest iron armor I can get, then go to Njerpez territory and see how many villages I can clear.

khy fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 14, 2016

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Is there a way to make more than a tiny amount of porridge at once? Going through all the menus, pouring off the result into a bowl, and then repeating is getting kind of tiresome.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Benly posted:

Is there a way to make more than a tiny amount of porridge at once? Going through all the menus, pouring off the result into a bowl, and then repeating is getting kind of tiresome.

I can't test it right now but you could probably go in the text file with all the recipes and change porridge to take larger amounts of the ingredients.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Comrade Koba posted:

Iron Age hysterectomy. :barf:

I think you meant Iron Age C-Section.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

dylguy90 posted:

I think you meant Iron Age C-Section.

C section more like V section

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
How the gently caress do you hunt effectively in this game? I've been trying for days and I only managed to catch a single fox after running him down for hours while he had my loving javelin through him. I managed to hit an elk once but I couldn't run him down because there were a billion of them and I eventually lost track of the one that I had hit.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Highblood posted:

How the gently caress do you hunt effectively in this game? I've been trying for days and I only managed to catch a single fox after running him down for hours while he had my loving javelin through him. I managed to hit an elk once but I couldn't run him down because there were a billion of them and I eventually lost track of the one that I had hit.
Your best bet is to run down injured elk or reindeer, even better if they are singular or you drive it away from the pack so you don't end up with a mess of tracks. Then sell its meat and hide for a dog and never look back, they are hunting missiles.

Otherwise trappings pretty good, bonus if you use it to fund a dog for active hunts.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

how much of this is redundant? Are shields worth having? Is it harder to wield a spear while having a shield as well?

EDIT ALSO: Can passing njerpaz or adventurers or whatever steal my stuff out of a cellar? What about animals? I bought two pigs and they both grievously injured by a lynx :(

edit 2!: Is salting worthwhile? I see that it doesn't last as long as smoking, plus you have to trade for the salt.

edit c: how important are skis for winter? A+ gotta have em?

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 15, 2016

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Highblood posted:

Hunting can be tough early on but there's several things you can do to help.

First off, level up your sneaking. Hit 'h' to hide and then sneak around when creatures are around. Since birds are plentiful it's easy enough to level stealth if you hide often and sneak around a lot.

Second, your ranged skill is important. I like bows, so I always put a point into bows in character creation. There's no dedicated 'throwing' skill but generally if you put a point into spears and work on your spear skill you'll throw Javelins better. Otherwise it's mostly luck, the closer you are the easier the shot, etc.

Third, time of day has a TON to do with how well you'll hunt. I often like to hunt in the early, early mornings or evening. The reason for this? When I find an animal to hunt, when the screen zooms in I can immediately hide and the animal will fall asleep after waiting a couple times with '.' then I sneak up close to take the shot.

Fourth - where to aim. Aiming for the head can mean a lucky strike to the head to knock an animal unconscious, or a strike to the throat could cause them to bleed out. Aiming for legs can cause the animal to become lame and suffer penalties to its ability to run away, making the chase that much easier. Both he head and legs can be tough shots though so if you're unskilled going for body shots are best. A shot that hits a hip can lame an animal, or a lucky enough shot can still cause bleeding, but it's much more rare with body shots than leg/head shots.

Lastly, when you do go hunting try not to bring too much with you. Your weapons, a knife to skin/butcher, and enough clothing to prevent exposure. Try to keep your weight penalty as low as possible. When you do shoot/throw at an animal, it's going to get spooked. You have probably 1-2 shots before it gets away - then you have to chase and track it down. If you run while chasing you can make up ground quickly but tire yourself out, so doing intervals - run a bit, walk a bit, run a bit, walk a bit - is a good way to keep on its butt. If you just keep at it eventually you'll either land that lucky shot or it'll tire itself out to the point where it can't escape and you can run it down from there.

If you want to practice your skills, dig a trap pit and a long-ish fence on either side of the pit to trap a mid-to-large sized animal. Equip a really low damage weapon to hit and hit and hit. Blunt can help in this regard as many spears have low blunt damage. Your javelin, for example, has 2 blunt damage vs 6 'point' damage. But even though you're basically just using the javelin to slowly beat an enemy to death over a long time, it still counts as spear skill.

Molybdenum posted:

how much of this is redundant? Are shields worth having? Is it harder to wield a spear while having a shield as well?

EDIT ALSO: Can passing njerpaz or adventurers or whatever steal my stuff out of a cellar? What about animals? I bought two pigs and they both grievously injured by a lynx :(

edit 2!: Is salting worthwhile? I see that it doesn't last as long as smoking, plus you have to trade for the salt.

Shields have excellent block but spears are 2h weapons and as such you'll get an attacking penalty when using shield+Spear. a Handhaxe can do decent enough edge damage and is 1h so if you don't have better the handaxe can work fairly well though it lacks reach (which translates into no real attack bonus). If you want a 1h weapon with good attack bonus, try the broadsword (5-damage edge attack), small trident (4-damage point attack), or the Javelin (6-damage point attack).

Salting boosts nutrition. The more nourished you are the slower your hunger meter goes up. A very well nourished person could get by with 2 meals per day whereas a malnourished person would have 3 or 4 easily, maybe more. Salting is also useful because the food is prepped fastest. It takes 5 days to salt meat, 16 days to smoke meat, and 25 days to dry meat. If you happen to have a bag of salt and need preserved food fast, salting is fast. Just roast enough to get you by until the 5 days are up.

In winter Skiing is important because slogging through snow is sloooooooow as hell and drains fatigue FAST. The better you get at skiing (And it raises very fast in winter) the faster you can move and more easily without getting tired. If you like spears try getting a 'northern spear' which functions as a weapon and as a skiing-stick when equipped.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 15, 2016

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
^^^ slowly beating animals to death while they bawl in agony is SOP for me, I'm pretty sure it means you get a less damaged hide?

Hunting along lake shores or in mires is great too because you can corner them with the terrain.

Though I remember briefly checking out a different version and the animals could swim then? That doesn't seem to be happening now, that elk just stood there on a tiny spit of land while I axe murdered him.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zoe posted:

^^^ slowly beating animals to death while they bawl in agony is SOP for me, I'm pretty sure it means you get a less damaged hide?

Hunting along lake shores or in mires is great too because you can corner them with the terrain.

Though I remember briefly checking out a different version and the animals could swim then? That doesn't seem to be happening now, that elk just stood there on a tiny spit of land while I axe murdered him.

Edge attacks cause bleeding easier but damage hides the most. Point attacks can penetrate leather/hide/cloth armor easiest, but don't bleed as much and do moderate damage to the hide. Leather/hide/fur/etc protects fairly well against blunt attacks but blunt doesn't damage the hide nearly as much as the others. So unless you have a drat heavy weapon or are particularly strong, it can be time consuming to beat an animal to death. Especially with low skill so you can't land a hit on a skull or leg (Leg is important as animals that fall to the ground suffer penalties to dodging, are easier to hit, etc).

I dunno about swimming animals. It's changed a few times over previous versions so I'm not sure what the current state of that is.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

Some quick answers off the top of my head:

A: Wielding a shield does tend to throw off your main hand weapon. I've never used shields enough to say if the extra armor is worth the tradeoff, though. For day to day living + hunting all that armor does seem a little much - I'd generally only armor up like that if expecting serious combat, the encumbrance and fatigue penalties would get in the way otherwise.

B: Wild animals can and will steal from your cellar, a few traps scattered around and a good guard dog will help with that. Roaming njerpez/wanderers tend to be far rarer, but the latter can be chased away by yelling at them and the former is generally more concerned with stabbing you.

C: Never really considered salting worth it. Spoilage time aside (because most salted/smoked/dried meats last long enough in a cellar that my characters die long before it becomes a concern), in addition to the cost of the salt, salted meat appears to be less nutritious than smoked (might be wrong about this) and still requires about the same amount of prep time. I generally just sustain myself on roast fish and store-bought meat until I whip a quick smokehouse up.

D: Skis are pretty much a necessity, you are slowed way down and rack up major movement penalties without a set, making long distance travel pretty much impossible. Whittling up a set is fairly quick, though. Incidentally don't worry about having low skiing skill - you aren't especially penalized for it, and it tends to rise to respectable levels if you do any amount of winter travel.

E: Hella beaten, so I should probably quote the post I'm replying to.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 15, 2016

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Bought the steam version and gave it another try. After several false starts I'm now set up next to a village that I robbed when in desperate need of food, and I'm slowly regaining their trust while building up my homestead. 10/10 would give :11bux: to Finnish Toady again.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Inadequately posted:

C: Never really considered salting worth it. Spoilage time aside (because most salted/smoked/dried meats last long enough in a cellar that my characters die long before it becomes a concern), in addition to the cost of the salt, salted meat appears to be less nutritious than smoked (might be wrong about this) and still requires about the same amount of prep time. I generally just sustain myself on roast fish and store-bought meat until I whip a quick smokehouse up.

I originally thought salt to be more nutritious than smoked meat, but further investigation says they're the same in terms of nutrition. The advantage salt has is that A) it uses no cords, and B) it takes a third of the prep time. 5 days to preserve meat with salt, 16 days to smoke meat.

I got some bags of salt when I bought out half a village for some goods I legitimately acquired via hand-me-downs from my njerpez friends. Ran out of other poo poo to buy so I picked up salt. It's kind of nice to be able to salt the food and have it ready in less than a week, but ultimately by the time I reach that point I have a cellar full of dried meat soooo...

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

zedprime posted:

I noticed something peculiar with companions. The less scummy part is that when you pay for items, your payment goes into the inventory of NPCs, so if you are buying things with cuts anyway, you can basically get a subsidized companion to come chop your wood or murder Njerpez.

The scummy game exploit comes in two. [spoiler]First is that if you notice when grabbing from a companion, items you traded them are yours again. If you include food and tools in every purchase and make sure the NPC wants to be a companion, you can get everything for free by inviting them along after the trade and taking your stuff back.

If there's one thing I miss from the newer versions, it's being able to execute one of my sillier starting strats:

- Start in Driik territory, with the dead father scenario.

- Cut up your dad, roast all his flesh, make a shitton of javelins

- Roam around Driik villages, picking up stray adventurers and woodsmen by hiring them with a javelin and your father's flesh, then taking the meat back

- Once you have a veritable army of vagabonds armed with javelins, walk into a fortified village. Throw a rock at the nearest person.

- Stand back and watch sparks fly.

- Quietly finish off any remaining survivors.

- End the first week with a fortified village as your home base, masterwork items for days and enough human flesh to last a lifetime.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Inadequately posted:

If there's one thing I miss from the newer versions, it's being able to execute one of my sillier starting strats:

- Roam around Driik villages, picking up stray adventurers and woodsmen by hiring them with a javelin and your father's flesh, then taking the meat back

- Once you have a veritable army of vagabonds armed with javelins, walk into a fortified village. Throw a rock at the nearest person.

- End the first week with a fortified village as your home base, masterwork items for days and enough human flesh to last a lifetime.

:stonk:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Regarding weapon training, I think there's a limit of something like 3 skill gains in a skill per day and they must be separated by some amount of time. So the trap torture pit is a necessity, just beating hunted prey to death will just give you some extra chances for skillup.

The bigger the animal, the more room you have to stick it with spears without ruining the hide, or even disqualifying fine. Combine with the fact that head>legs and arms>body for hide damage. Standard procedure for an ungulate is if you've been running it down its already winded, so stab its legs out from under it and start going for the head. For a bear, take the easy body shots until you like your odds that it's injury penalty has made it safe, then bowl it over and start going for the head.

e. And speaking of the Not All Who Wander Are Lost start, its the unsung turbostart if you like to start near Driik and put together your axe collection by hand. Not sure how much was down to rolls but at a bare minimum you've got a pricey animal and your dad's tattered clothes to make cord. And dad even had some extra iron tools and a couple hides. Kaumo start with a dog which just turns into exponentially more trade value with hunting kills.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 15, 2016

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
An important thing to remember is that persistence hunting is absolutely a thing in Unreal World. Deer can run faster than you and if you try to sprint them down you'll just collapse, but if you just plod along behind them every time they see you they'll panic and run a bit more and eventually they'll be tired to the point that they either collapse or they can only walk at a slower speed than you can run. It's disheartening as hell to be following a deer and you constantly hear it panicking and running away before you even catch a glimpse of it, but that's not failing to sneak up on it, it's succeeding in tiring it out even more.

Once you get a dog this becomes even more the case, since the dog can keep pace with the deer and keep it running until it exhausts itself instead of it having little rests while you catch back up and spook it again. Then the dog starts barking once the deer is cornered or collapses.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

zedprime posted:

e. And speaking of the Not All Who Wander Are Lost start, its the unsung turbostart if you like to start near Driik and put together your axe collection by hand. Not sure how much was down to rolls but at a bare minimum you've got a pricey animal and your dad's tattered clothes to make cord. And dad even had some extra iron tools and a couple hides. Kaumo start with a dog which just turns into exponentially more trade value with hunting kills.

I started as a Kaumo woman and got a pig :mad:

Oh well, can't say no to free bacon. Plus you can buy a dog for rather cheap anyways

Inadequately posted:

Some quick answers off the top of my head:

A: Wielding a shield does tend to throw off your main hand weapon. I've never used shields enough to say if the extra armor is worth the tradeoff, though. For day to day living + hunting all that armor does seem a little much - I'd generally only armor up like that if expecting serious combat, the encumbrance and fatigue penalties would get in the way otherwise.

Shields can actually be held in various positions : center, high, side or relaxed. When shield is up you get armor to various parts depending on how it's held, and its best advantage (besides the fact that it gives a great bonus to blocking with it of course) is that it will auto-block arrows aimed to those parts if you're facing the enemy correctly. It's a great layer of strategy to an already complex combat system, read up on it here, and also here

Inadequately posted:

Dude, that's ... well I shouldn't judge since I'm currently cleansing the world from a whole culture, but cutting up your dad? That's just bad form.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TorakFade posted:

Dude, that's ... well I shouldn't judge since I'm currently cleansing the world from a whole culture, but cutting up your dad? That's just bad form.
Hey, it's what he would have wanted. Circle of life and all. <:mad:>

I always found funny that when you stood on his corpse the message was not "your father's corpse" but "a hunter's corpse" or something like that. If the game wants me to be an insensitive bastard, I'm perfectly fine with it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TorakFade posted:

I started as a Kaumo woman and got a pig :mad:

Oh well, can't say no to free bacon. Plus you can buy a dog for rather cheap anyways
The other animals are probably better starts on paper anyway just because they are so much pricier than a dog. But I've also found the first week is otherwise a banner week for active hunting, I assume to do with needing to spawn a huge load of entities all at once to populate the world. By like the 3rd or 4th day I had 200 cuts of elk meet drying on the scraps of old dad's clothes without dipping into my luxury iron tools for a dog.

TorakFade posted:

I think the cannibalism change can be directly attributed to that because a lot of the saucier descriptions of the game started becoming "its the survival game where you eat people to survive winter." Easy access cannibalism was kind of out of place given how much some of the murdery aspects are huggified by default, like the distillation of your mortal enemies into robbers and Njerpez in an era known for more inter-clan warfare than not.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

TorakFade posted:

He just wanted to remember the face of his father.
By wearing it as a mask.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Spoggerific posted:

He just wanted to remember the face of his father.
By wearing it as a mask.

Bah I 'm not arguing with you all anymore, you are clearly criminally insane.

Now excuse me but I have to go cleave another bunch of children and old men to steal their bracelets and necklaces.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This game produces the absolute best threads.

ITT : Torture pits, bludgeoning creatures slowly to death as opposed to putting them quickly out of their misery in an attempt to get a better hide, butchering your father's corpse for meat then roasting it and using it to incite what amounts to a gangwar only to betray and murder your gang and steal everything from everyone. Also ethniccultural cleansing.

What a fantastic game.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Is there a downside to Sweating A Lot? I'm wondering if there's any reason other than weight not to just wrap myself in multiple dead elk.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Benly posted:

Is there a downside to Sweating A Lot? I'm wondering if there's any reason other than weight not to just wrap myself in multiple dead elk.
Nothing in the mix as far as being too hot. The downside to wrapping yourself in all the elks is that fur is heavy, and weight penalty to skills can add up.

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008
Anyone ever come across an island full of reindeers? I remember one of my first playthrough I rafted into one of those; was so happy that I just started chucking my spear into the thick of them, ended up huddled around a makeshift campfire with grievous wounds, red-eyed reindeers circling around me in the dark...

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Benly posted:

I have heard people say that sweating/sweating a lot increases your thirst meter more rapidly but if that's the case the difference is minor enough to be almost unnoticable. I've gone out hunting with little more than a shirt and pants and the meter seems to rise just as much as when I've gone out literally clad in 3 or 4 layers of furs.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Sweating in freezing weather really should be a bad thing, but I doubt that'll ever be implemented realistically because it would just be insanely unfun to micromanage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Do trees grow back, or can I wander around and deforest all of Finland one tree at a time?

• Locked thread