Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Also, please apply this rule to Magic as you should in the rest of your life

The way he says synagogue always kills me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The SituAsian posted:

To be clear it was just streamed on twitch. Some guy was playing in the final in a qualifier for (I think) a 2K freeroll at Nerd Rage Gaming in Buffalo Grove, IL and left after making the finals.

That sucks, poor guy. :(

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

See also Charles Foster Kane, Daniel Plainview, etc...

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
My team dropped at 3-4 in the GP. I was somewhat fun I guess but being around that many people isn't really my thing. In round 3 I missed lethal in turns and was killed on the next turn so that was not fun.

Round 7 we were eliminated from day 2 by Mowshowitz, Neal, and Vidugiris, so that was a cool match. All of my team won game 1, but only one of us won the match, the teen on our team beat Gaudenis Vidugiris.

In general I don't think I'm serious enough about Magic to spend a 15 hour day (including travel) on it, especially after playing a different Team Sealed event yesterday that cut about 9 hours out. I'll just stick with FNM and IQs. But if you're going to do it once, Team Sealed is definitely a very fun way to do it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The SituAsian posted:

To be clear it was just streamed on twitch. Some guy was playing in the final in a qualifier for (I think) a 2K freeroll at Nerd Rage Gaming in Buffalo Grove, IL and left after making the finals.

:eyepop: People keeping perspective and having the right priorities over wizard poker?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
4-3-1 and out of GPDC. Didn't do our awesome pool justice in deck building or in play. :(

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I 0-2 dropped from GP DC I've spent the day eating and drinking with friends who came into town from college best GP ever.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

4-3-1 and out of GPDC. Didn't do our awesome pool justice in deck building or in play. :(

Come to Texas de Brazil I'll buy you a capirinha

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i did the legacy challenge

it was fine

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I 0-2 dropped from GP DC I've spent the day eating and drinking with friends who came into town from college best GP ever.

My only regret at GPNJ was my first round opponent no-showing and my 3rd round opponent making the questionable choice to play Jund (which I was also playing, and better.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Come to Texas de Brazil I'll buy you a capirinha

Thanks for the offer man. We're already back in college park by our hotel though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The second PTQ I went to, my round-three opponent mentioned that he had to drop after our match because he had plans. So of course he beats me and then drops. Fucker.

Also, don't play in a Magic event that could last all day when you have plans later that day. It's lovely when you have to drop and you're doing well.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
im going to build an edh deck around the legendary frog

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Star Man posted:

The second PTQ I went to, my round-three opponent mentioned that he had to drop after our match because he had plans. So of course he beats me and then drops. Fucker.

Also, don't play in a Magic event that could last all day when you have plans later that day. It's lovely when you have to drop and you're doing well.

If I can't finish the day and have to drop, I just play the match out for fun and concede right before I'm gonna win.

But I usually lose so it doesn't come up :v:

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

im going to build an edh deck around the legendary frog

It will probably be U/G or U/B/G and regardless of how terrible it is you'll be hated out because those colors just scream combo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Oraculum Animi posted:

It will probably be U/G or U/B/G and regardless of how terrible it is you'll be hated out because those colors just scream combo.

my dude i play omnath locus of mana you think being hated out scares me

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/140070958208/maybe-i-get-get-you-before-you-go-to-sleep-was

I will join the worship of the biggest, dumbest toad ever.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Meet me at the foil origins uncommon sheet in 15 mins if u want an rear end kicking

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I read it as "it's still in this set" twice before I parsed it properly. If the vanilla mythic costs more than two mana, it's going to be everyone's worst fear when opening packs. Which is good, it might make people reconsider buying boxes just to crack them if they could possibly get Big Dumb Toad, the 16/16 for 3GG as their foil mythic.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cactrot posted:

If I can't finish the day and have to drop, I just play the match out for fun and concede right before I'm gonna win.

But I usually lose so it doesn't come up :v:

I'm just saying why pay that money for a PTQ or grand prix that you have to drop because you have a concert to go to later.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I read it as "it's still in this set" twice before I parsed it properly. If the vanilla mythic costs more than two mana, it's going to be everyone's worst fear when opening packs. Which is good, it might make people reconsider buying boxes just to crack them if they could possibly get Big Dumb Toad, the 16/16 for 3GG as their foil mythic.
If it's specifically a 20/20 (which I think it would have to be to be mythic unless it has 100 toughness or something) I think it would actually have some reanimation combo utility. In standard you have Dread Defiler and in eternal format there's maybe that one Mimeoplasm combo.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

I might be reading too much but it seems like Maro's answers on blogatog are getting way more cynical and annoyed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I bet you its a Force of Savagery riff that's just huger, like 20/0 or something for 2GG or something.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Pyronic posted:

I might be reading too much but it seems like Maro's answers on blogatog are getting way more cynical and annoyed.

It varies a bit but also he sometimes just doesn't spend that much time on an answer. The blog's rife with autocorrect errors for starters.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BJPaskoff posted:

i would buy the living poo poo out of Big Dumb Toad in foil. id buy a bunch and glue them to my balls

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I don't even know what you cost a 20/20 at. Marit Lage is essentially 30 mana (paid in installments), and emmy is 15/15 for 15 so it has to be 19 mana minimum (Makes it so that Reanimate isn't quite lethal for you, etc) and at some point it's totally uncastable and solely for cheating into play.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I don't even know what you cost a 20/20 at. Marit Lage is essentially 30 mana (paid in installments), and emmy is 15/15 for 15 so it has to be 19 mana minimum (Makes it so that Reanimate isn't quite lethal for you, etc) and at some point it's totally uncastable and solely for cheating into play.

GGGGGGGG. Khalni Hydra mana. and it still wouldn't be very good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Those cards have huge upside while this hypothetical mythic is vanilla. They already printed Desolation Twin at 10 mana in BFZ and it wasn't at all broken. Putting it in one fully counterable body probably makes it worse if anything if you're not comboing with Dread Defiler or Fling or whatever.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Vanilla Mythic Legendary will prob be something better than a Fleecemane Lion. Like, a 4/4 for 2 mana or something ridic.

We can get a red legendary 2/2 for R with both a drawback and an advantage. We can get a rare 3/3 for WG with an advantage. Whatever the vanilla mythic will be it will have to be either better than a 3/3 for 2 or be something on par with that that doesn't normally get efficient bodies (i.e. not in green or white).

I can see it being something dumb like a vanilla 8/8 for WUBRG.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Balon posted:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Edit: /\/\/\ :arghfist:

Balon posted:

That's already been printed at uncommon so I bet it's more pushed than that.

Or even dumber, like a 0/10 for G or something

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 13, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ghoul Tree was a pretty trivial 10/10 and usually could come down on turn 4 or so. It never saw play out of limited.

Marit Lage is a 20/20 flying and indestructible guy. He's also unplayable without breaking the card in ways never intended when it was printed.

I don't think it needs to be 19 mana at all since it's a vanilla card, it doesn't have any sort of evasion or protection, so it's the most interactable object in the game (not only can you counter, kill, etc, but you can block, tap it down, etc).

I think about as cheap as it can get is 7G mana, which means it could be cast in standard (and I would argue Ugin is a much more powerful 8 drop) and potentially in Tron, where again it's not as exciting as Wurmcoil, Karn, Newlamog, Ugin, etc. I straight don't think it's playable in legacy.

I think it can go as cheap as WUBRGC and be way less playable than the cost above, and I think as it approaches 10 mana it gets less playable because you have Newlagmog. As you get away from 8 mana it also becomes a boring reanimator target, because they can almost always interact with your first reanimator target in some fashion, so you need an immediate effect (griselbrand to draw 7 and get your counterspells online, Eleshnorn to wipe the board, Tyrant to bounce a bunch of things) or possibly protected guys (like Grave Titan / Inkwell Leviathan).

I think it will probably be somewhere near 7GG if it's a vanilla 20/20.

I think we are much more likely to see a less than 20/20 creature though.

I don't think they are going to print an actual legacy / modern warping mythic (G for 3/X, 1G for 4/2+, 2G for 7/4+) although I think those are pretty much the stats you'd want to hit for an actually exciting mythic at those costs.

I think it's much more likely that we're going to see something like a 7+/10 for 3GG or so. 7 is a three turn clock, 10 means it needs to be gang blocked to be killed and still pretty much kills all the blockers, and it's the kind of thing that would be playable in standard I assume (haven't touched it in quite a while) but would not show up elsewhere.

As for the prices above, 6GG is more expensive than 7G, etc. I think pretty much any color outside of green is going to add several more colored mana to the cost, so like 7G is probably equivalent to 5WWW, etc.

I think we could also potentially see a WUBRG vanilla tribal commander that had really big stats, like a 11/11 Legendary Sliver (which would be a 2 hit kill in Commander).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The issue I see is that "big dumb technically efficient vanilla" is always going to be rare. It needs to do something exciting and different to be a mythic rare, such as killing a player in a single hit on its own.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I bet Isamaru would've been Mythic if they'd had Mythic back then.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Ha! Perfect!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

My guess is that 'vanilla' is misleading- he already gave dryad arbor as an example of another 'vanilla' card.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It is going to be something dumb like a 6/6 for UBG and it will cost like forty bucks for that alone.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

I bet Isamaru would've been Mythic if they'd had Mythic back then.

It's hard to overstate how much worse creatures were back then; Isamaru was A Big Deal at the time, and Watchwolf was the mothership preview card for the Spike column and people were really excited by it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

sarmhan posted:

My guess is that 'vanilla' is misleading- he already gave dryad arbor as an example of another 'vanilla' card.

That's absurd, but it's right there on his blog. Ugh. Maybe it's a loving mythic creature dual land, I give up.

Elyv posted:

It's hard to overstate how much worse creatures were back then; Isamaru was A Big Deal at the time, and Watchwolf was the mothership preview card for the Spike column and people were really excited by it.

I was going to try to make a joke about how it could be a vanilla 2/2 for W or R and how that card could probably be bumped down to uncommon in 2026, but then I saw how loose Maro's definition of "vanilla" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think we reached peak casual today but it was a good time. Did a reject rare draft with 9 players. Mainly weird/does something cool but not constructed worthy/I have 6 of this instead of outright trash. Ended up doing 3 headed emperor. Highlights of the night including an emperor getting Door to Nothingnessed out right before he won of Azor's Elocutors, someone with a horrifying army getting Breakinged out of the game because he'd played so many extra cards off Melek. I ended up winning for my team who were dead beside me off Form of the Dragon fighting off 3 Siege Dragons over the course of the game plus some other amount of fatties.

• Locked thread