Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oberleutnant posted:

How about you get put in a wheelchair and then I'll come visit you every week to call you a nazi oval office.

I'll let you have that one.

Gaussian, while I agree we really should fix our own problems before addressing those of other people, saying you feel better when you give to local people rather than to some foreign person you'll never meet just makes you look like a giant rear end in a top hat. If you're only being charitable because it makes you feel good, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Also, if weren't for the Tories literally driving the poor and disabled into suicide and starvation we wouldn't have those problems here.

E: 13 March 1957 - in an early attempt to create the UKMT, Cuban student revolutionaries make a failed attempt on the life of President Batista.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Jedit posted:

Gaussian, while I agree we really should fix our own problems before addressing those of other people,
Wait, why? An amount donated to the average third-world charity makes a much bigger difference than the same amount donated to the average domestic charity.

e: some data http://www.givewell.org/giving101/Your-dollar-goes-further-overseas

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 13, 2016

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Agreed, stop striking and start occupying private health care providers and start monstering the government directly.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Who the gently caress is the guardian for these days

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

winegums posted:

Who the gently caress is the guardian for these days

Tim Farron and the non-Corbynite PLP.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Now there's a good name for a band.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

coffeetable posted:

Wait, why? An amount donated to the average third-world charity makes a much bigger difference than the same amount donated to the average domestic charity.

Yes, and I've donated more to the current Save the Children appeal for Ethiopia than I have to local charities, but that doesn't change the fact that we have problems here that need fixing. If all other things were equal we should first solve those domestic problems then attend to those of others. But they're not equal, people are dying right now in Ethiopia and their government can't be shamed into ending a drought. They need help more, so that's where I give it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dabir posted:

Now there's a good name for a band.

Shame Tim Farron and the Remnants of the Lib Dems are the ones that are actually small enough to BE a band, really.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thespaceinvader posted:

Shame Tim Farron and the Remnants of the Lib Dems are the ones that are actually small enough to BE a band, really.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds has as many members as the Lib Dems do

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And are less obnoxious on the ear.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

LemonDrizzle posted:

£1900 for ILR, oh my. It was £700 a few years ago, and that was annoying enough.

I just did the ILR with my wife and I think the fee was in the £1500 mark. That's for a single person with no dependants. Dependants are another £1500. Each.

That said, if you want the fancy premium service where you go to a UKBA office and submit everything in person, prepare to spend about another £400. (We decided not to and instead hired a lawyer.)

Even then, once you have ILR you then need to spend another £1000 in order to get citizenship and then you get to do useful stuff, like vote.

I think to this date, I've had to pay a rough combined total of £7000-£8000 in UKBA fees as well as Lawyer Fees in order to keep my wife in the UK. And that's for the initial Fiancée Visa, The Marriage Visa (Which was declined by the UKBA and is a whole other post.), Appealing the UKBA's decision, Lawyer fees for representing us at the Tribunal, updating a Biometrics Card (It costs £500ish to change an address on a piece of plastic) and finally the ILR. My wifes been lucky as she arrived in the UK before a number of the changes went through and she's only here because I was getting paid fairly well and had support from friends and family.

Immigration is a loving racket pure and simple. The immigration system within the UK is incredibly primitive relying on hand written forms for everything and the UKBA give you no feedback while your application is processing. (And you can't request information on it while its processing unless you've already been waiting 6 months. Oh and its by post because we live in the 1950's) The UKBA appears to place huge reliance on the idea that expensive fees will deter people from coming to the UK. And if appeals are likely to be successful at tribunal will withdraw their decisions at the last minute so they're not found incorrect by a judge. (As that would make them look bad.)

None of this is ever held to account because the people who have to deal with it, don't have a loving vote and the people that do, don't see it as a problem until it affects someone they like. Also, Tory MP's are incredibly dismissive about how poo poo the immigration system is. I've tried with two MP's and both sent messages back basically saying "Immigration is working as intended."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Venmoch posted:

I think to this date, I've had to pay a rough combined total of £7000-£8000 in UKBA fees as well as Lawyer Fees in order to keep my wife in the UK. And that's for the initial Fiancée Visa, The Marriage Visa (Which was declined by the UKBA and is a whole other post.),

Given we have an appointment for the 'we just got married so please don't deport my wife when her student visa runs out plz' in about a month, I would love to see this post :ohdear:

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Don't think I've seen this mentioned here before.
Anyone looking for somewhere potentially useful to punt money could do worse than here: https://www.crowdjustice.co.uk/case/nhs/

It's crowdfunding by Doctors and others to challenge Jeremy the "Hunt"'s godawful contract in court. Only 31 days left to make their stretch goal. Pass it on (unless you know a good reason why this is a bad idea, in which case please share it).

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Jedit posted:

If you're only being charitable because it makes you feel good, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

What if I'm only being charitable because it makes another person feel good about me?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

What if I'm only being charitable because it makes another person feel good about me?

Is this you offering to autoban for us?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Tesseraction posted:

Is this you offering to autoban for us?

I don't follow. In some social circles it's expected that you give back to society, which works much better when you support a local charity compared to donating to international charities. That was my initial reason for donating, otherwise I would probably never have started.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you're doing charity for any other reason than you've got something and somebody else needs it more then you're probably doing it wrong.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

If you want some suggestions to make others feel good about you i'm sure Ober can supply some.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Venmoch posted:

I just did the ILR with my wife and I think the fee was in the £1500 mark. That's for a single person with no dependants. Dependants are another £1500. Each.

That said, if you want the fancy premium service where you go to a UKBA office and submit everything in person, prepare to spend about another £400. (We decided not to and instead hired a lawyer.)

Even then, once you have ILR you then need to spend another £1000 in order to get citizenship and then you get to do useful stuff, like vote.

I think to this date, I've had to pay a rough combined total of £7000-£8000 in UKBA fees as well as Lawyer Fees in order to keep my wife in the UK. And that's for the initial Fiancée Visa, The Marriage Visa (Which was declined by the UKBA and is a whole other post.), Appealing the UKBA's decision, Lawyer fees for representing us at the Tribunal, updating a Biometrics Card (It costs £500ish to change an address on a piece of plastic) and finally the ILR. My wifes been lucky as she arrived in the UK before a number of the changes went through and she's only here because I was getting paid fairly well and had support from friends and family.

Immigration is a loving racket pure and simple. The immigration system within the UK is incredibly primitive relying on hand written forms for everything and the UKBA give you no feedback while your application is processing. (And you can't request information on it while its processing unless you've already been waiting 6 months. Oh and its by post because we live in the 1950's) The UKBA appears to place huge reliance on the idea that expensive fees will deter people from coming to the UK. And if appeals are likely to be successful at tribunal will withdraw their decisions at the last minute so they're not found incorrect by a judge. (As that would make them look bad.)

None of this is ever held to account because the people who have to deal with it, don't have a loving vote and the people that do, don't see it as a problem until it affects someone they like. Also, Tory MP's are incredibly dismissive about how poo poo the immigration system is. I've tried with two MP's and both sent messages back basically saying "Immigration is working as intended."

Fortress Britain

Even from the EU side it's pretty bad, I haven't applied for permanent residence because I was living from a youth hostel a few times in the last several years (deciding where to move, new flatmates for the next academic year, etc.). Which apparently doesn't count as continuous residence? Which is ... well maybe fair enough, but it's still incredibly lovely because I don't see what I did that was particularly wrong (beyond not having enough money that I can afford to sign a rental contract and only live there for a few months. Keeping in mind that as a foreigner you are expected to pay 6-12 months upfront).

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/708990684909473792

Why are your politicians such clowns? Like seriously, he makes it sound like he is doing his homework and writing a budget is actually done by him all on his own.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

GaussianCopula posted:

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/708990684909473792

Why are your politicians such clowns? Like seriously, he makes it sound like he is doing his homework and writing a budget is actually done by him all on his own.

All our politicans come from schools where you LARP as hogwarts students and trade bumsex to "swots" to have them write your Dark Arts homework.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's osborne, for all I know the budget is literally the result of whatever shapes of leftover coke remain on his desk after he's done "writing" it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

GaussianCopula posted:

They're mostly just soulless heartless toffs trying to pretend to be real people who watch telly and make "humorous" "jokes" on the "twitter". Also what nopantsjack said.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I would vote for Nick Cave before Nick Clegg, because at least Nick Cave smashed Kylie's head in with a rock.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Venmoch posted:

This is a major reason why my fiancee and I are having me move to America instead of her coming here. It's about $2000 all told (something around £1400 at today's exchange rate), plus moving costs etc., which is expensive but not beyond what we can scrape together. No way in hell could we pull together loving seven or eight grand. But as you say the whole thing's a racket pretty much wherever you go, designed to extort money out of people who have no other legal way to get something done. It should be three or four forms and bits of evidence and like £150/$200 that can be processed in two weeks, and for 98% of cases that would be more than sufficient.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
What the gently caress is up with the state of that loving Rod Liddle article in the Times.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

TinTower posted:

What the gently caress is up with the state of that loving Rod Liddle article in the Times.
Presumably, the fact that it's written by Rod "actual BNP defender" Liddle.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
nvm wrong thread.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

nvm wrong thread.

much like all your posts

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

nvm wrong thread.

Is it that easy for you to mix up Something Awful and Stormfront?

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

feedmegin posted:

Given we have an appointment for the 'we just got married so please don't deport my wife when her student visa runs out plz' in about a month, I would love to see this post :ohdear:

I'll put a full post on the marriage visa later but one piece of advice I'll give you.

If you can afford it, get a lawyer. I cannot stress this enough. Immigration rules and regulations are a nightmare of red tape and rules that can and will change based on what Teresa May had for breakfast.

A decent lawyer should be able to tell you exactly what paperwork you need, what you need to file and will also be able to file it for you. (The UKBA is terrible at letting you know what you need to attach to your application.)

Oh and if you're living together, get bills in both your names now. It's really handy for your application. Also a joint bank account doesn't hurt.

Venmoch fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 13, 2016

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

We're all contributing to the pollution of the glorious British culture and genome. And taking jobs from hard-working Britons. Should cease and desist really, after all the Tories have an immigration target and everything (which would cause below-replacement birth rates).

It's a travesty this, what we can get away with.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Venmoch posted:

I'll put a full post on the marriage visa later but one piece of advice I'll give you.

If you can afford it, get a lawyer. I cannot stress this enough. Immigration rules and regulations are a nightmare of red tape and rules that can and will change based on what Teresa May had for breakfast.

A decent lawyer should be able to tell you exactly what paperwork you need, what you need to file and will also be able to file it for you. (The UKBA is terrible at letting you know what you need to attach to your application.)

Oh and if you're living together, get bills in both your names now. It's really handy for your application. Also a joint bank account doesn't hurt.

Get a lawyer and use the premium service. It gives you a result very quickly in comparison.

It's a racket and every increase has a line somewhere that says that they increased it without any real need

Good companies will pay the visa fees as well and give you legal help

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

quote:

A hedge fund manager worth around £660million will pay £8,000 a month in child support to the mother of his child.
But that isn’t the real story here. The real story is that the woman in question made a claim that included a £10,500 wine budget.

Hedge fund manager Chris Rokos was before the ruling paying £12,000 per month in child support to Veronica Antonio, Bloomberg reports.

The £4,000 cut from that figure was largely for Uber rides and swimming lessons.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seems reasonable

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

shrike82 posted:

Hedge fund manager pays child support

The real story there is that there is no story there.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
just tory boys doing tory things

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

... Is this man trying to win some sort of Poe's Law related award?

Crack down on the farms to make them pay minimum wage and employ the thousands of work-aged people who don't have a loving job. I would have gladly have gone and done this when I was in that position instead of applying for endless supermarket and cleaning jobs. We already have this surplus of unemployed people who want to work, we don't need to drag the poor OAPs out of retirement for peanuts. If you really want the immigrants to have no incentive to work there, then enforce the minimum wage thing harshly and start punishing people who offer to work for less with a fine for contributing to wage depreciation. Maybe even invest in some social housing near big farms so people can migrate from areas with no opportunities more easily, or just build more farms in the North.

Weldon Pemberton fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

And, George. Not or.

• Locked thread