Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Has there ever been a board game or anything of that sort (solo or otherwise), that really properly captures the feel of a roguelike? I can't really remember any games that even try.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark, especially with the Road to Legend expansion has that feel. One player runs the monsters and traps using the cards he's dealt and the other 4 try to complete their objectives with randomized loot. RtL added a campaign made of smaller random maps strung together with various metagame bits in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Has there ever been a board game or anything of that sort (solo or otherwise), that really properly captures the feel of a roguelike? I can't really remember any games that even try.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/472/dungeonquest maybe

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rutibex posted:

The Curious Expedition is basically Mage Knight. I would say Make Knight is closest, with maybe chess puzzles coming in second.

One problem is "permanent death" is a really bad board game mechanic.
Mage Knight kind of fits, yeah, especially in the whole "here's your toolbox of garbage, make it work" feeling you get with the best item-heavy roguelikes.

dis astranagant posted:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark, especially with the Road to Legend expansion has that feel. One player runs the monsters and traps using the cards he's dealt and the other 4 try to complete their objectives with randomized loot. RtL added a campaign made of smaller random maps strung together with various metagame bits in between.
I own Descent 2e and it's a lot of things, but roguelike isn't really one of them.

:what:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's to obvious an answer, but D&D.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

That was exactly what I was going to say. I've taught Descent a couple of times and it's trying to emulate the feel of DnD without the hassle, but it really does a good job of being a board game roguelike. There's another game that had a really generic name that I've seen friends teach that was similar to a bad roguelike, complete with "every action has a 1/6 chance of killing you." I'll see if I can't ask around and remember the name.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Chakan posted:

There's another game that had a really generic name that I've seen friends teach that was similar to a bad roguelike, complete with "every action has a 1/6 chance of killing you." I'll see if I can't ask around and remember the name.

That sounds like Warhammer Quest, which is also definitely a boardgame not unlike a roguelike (and is bad because of it)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chakan posted:

"every action has a 1/6 chance of killing you."

This is Talisman: The Magic Quest game, and it is the most Rogue-Like board game of all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rutibex posted:

This is Talisman: The Magic Quest game, and it is the most Rogue-Like board game of all.
Oh god, what have I done

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chakan posted:

That was exactly what I was going to say. I've taught Descent a couple of times and it's trying to emulate the feel of DnD without the hassle, but it really does a good job of being a board game roguelike. There's another game that had a really generic name that I've seen friends teach that was similar to a bad roguelike, complete with "every action has a 1/6 chance of killing you." I'll see if I can't ask around and remember the name.

"Without the hassle" is an odd thing to say about a game that usually takes an hour to set up and that pre-RtL always took the better part of a day to finish.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dungeonquest is sorta alright if you just replace the stupid as hell combat system with simple dice rolls for the sake of time and sanity

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

UberJew posted:

That sounds like Warhammer Quest, which is also definitely a boardgame not unlike a roguelike (and is bad because of it)

Nope. I have that on my phone and I think I've played maybe an hour total though, not a fun game.

Rutibex posted:

Nope, although i can see with that description you would think that. Talisman is an awful game that I once had to teach 5 times over the course of a weekend. I appreciate both of these comments, but I'll just ask a friend the next time we're together and post it.

dis astranagant posted:

"Without the hassle" is an odd thing to say about a game that usually takes an hour to set up and that pre-RtL always took the better part of a day to finish.

i meant more in the meta-game aspect. Scheduling a weekly or bi-weekly thing that takes 4+ hours was a nightmare even when we were all teenagers. Descent really felt like it was trying to emulate DnD without being an entire "campaign" in the traditional sense, or at least a lot quicker if that's what you were looking for.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Floodkiller posted:

A dramatic battle shall commence!

why are all of your stats hexadecimal

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PleasingFungus posted:

It's a side effect if you equip the Hex Blade.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm addicted to language effects that make the game unreadable.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Talisman is random bullshit, I play it once a year with friends and every expansion:

I won because I got a spell combo that let me take five unanswered turns when grinding up dragon mountain for the crown. Stupid, terrible, wonderful game.

Dungeonquest is hilarious and has traps that can one shot a fully healthy character, everyone should play it.

Runebound is probably among the top tier of Madjack board games, I love it so. They just launched a 3rd edition, it's great. 2nd edition is superb. Both are about wandering an overworld, grinding random weird encounters, trading goods from town to town, and trying to get stronger so you can kill some giant fuckoff lich or dragon.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Descent is really fun if you have an Overlord player who is actively out to loving murder all the players, is reasonably good at his job, and you have some players who can handle this style of play.

Otherwise it's just sort of dnd lite boardgame version.

We had a lot of fun with it in our playgroup, but I played with friends who could handle being ruthlessly murdered repeatedly without flipping out.

Our biggest problem was we started to find cracks in the design. Some of them may have been addressed in later versions/expansions, I don't know.

Board games are cool and good and any designer worth their salt should play them occasionally, there are a lot of very smart and elegant ones out there, and a lot of their lessons apply directly to video game design.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
descent has some really weird rules, too. Star Wars: Imperial Assault is descent 2e with a new skin and some rules updates, so unless you're totally married to the not-D&D theme of descent, it's a better game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What's adorable is how many people I recognize from the Board Game thread, but how few people apparently recognize me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A few more Rogue-Like board games, at least good ones (both have free print and play versions):

Barbarian Prince
http://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/ds_barbarianprince.html

You are a Barbarian Prince trying to wander around and do enough adventures to collect gold and take back your castle. Works kind of like a choose you own adventure book, with a hex grid for movement. Entirely solo, with permanent death (unless you "save" by holding the page :v:)

Magic Realm
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22/magic-realm

If anything could be considered a board game rogue-like its this. Do not try to play this unless you are a masochist, its is a 11 on the board gaming scale of fiddly complex bullshit. Can also be played solo or with up to 15 other players (you will not find this many people to play, ever)

madjackmcmad posted:

Talisman is random bullshit, I play it once a year with friends and every expansion:

:clint:
you call that a Talisman? This is a Talisman:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 13, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I dread to imagine what a Talisman roguelike would be like.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Soloing the Steam version of Talisman against AIs is a decent time waster. Especially since the computer doesn't care if you rage quit.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Soloing the Steam version of Talisman against AIs is a decent time waster. Especially since the computer doesn't care if you rage quit.

I wish there were options in the ios version to:
-have an elimination game where once a hero dies it is out of your roster
-your hero is chosen randomly
-you draw x heroes and chose one to start with. If all x heroes die you lose.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

madjackmcmad posted:

Dungeonquest is hilarious and has traps that can one shot a fully healthy character, everyone should play it.

this is the reason my friends and i play it where if someone dies all of their loot falls onto that tile and anyone who reaches it can claim it for their own. including the same person if they get to it first after entering with a fresh, different character.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Ultramarines, the beer and skittles, gently caress your buddy Warhammer game is Rogue-like.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Rutibex posted:

:clint:

Look at this 1st Ed oldster right here.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Pretty sure a game of Arkham Horror with all expansions is even bigger than that.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Pretty sure a game of Arkham Horror with all expansions is even bigger than that.

They're roughly the same. Arkham Horror only has like 3 expansions that come with extra boards (although those are bigger than the Talisman ones). Also I pretty much quit playing it because the setup/teardown is too big of a pain. Also they released a similar game that's about 5x better.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Poison Mushroom posted:

What's adorable is how many people I recognize from the Board Game thread, but how few people apparently recognize me.

IIRC, you have changed your username a couple of times, or at least I was calling you different things in some other thread.

alansmithee posted:

They're roughly the same.

No.

Roguelike talk: Can anyone give me some starting tips for Sil? If I go full berserk I get chopped to pieces really easily, if I go stealth I usually get discovered and killed on the 4th floor.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I bought a copy of Magic Realm years ago, but the closest I've gotten to actually play it was a friend and I spending hours on set up and reading the rules and hardly getting through a few turns with the most basic tutorial mode. It seems really great, but I don't know how you'd go about actually learning how to play without someone else to teach you.

Rutibex posted:

That's not even all the expansions, is it? Wasn't there some expansion that had a multi-tiered board or somesuch?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

IIRC, you have changed your username a couple of times, or at least I was calling you different things in some other thread.

No.

Roguelike talk: Can anyone give me some starting tips for Sil? If I go full berserk I get chopped to pieces really easily, if I go stealth I usually get discovered and killed on the 4th floor.

As a fighter-like start with House of Feanor, go with a stat line of 2/5/4/3 or 2/4/5/3 (depending on how safe you want to feel Constitution wise). Bring your starting melee and evasion up to +10 or as close as possible. When spending XP, know that stats are usually better than skills if costs are equal (so 500xp in a stat is better than a 500xp skill in most cases), with the exception of smithing (grab just enough to get your free smithing perk of armor or weapon smithing and then ignore it). Another rule of thumb is that your melee and evasion stats should match or exceed whatever floor you are on (50' is 1, 300' is 6, etc), so you don't start falling behind in combat.

For play, try to get a bow and arrows for plinking away at stationary enemies or archers. I usually like to work towards Lore Master in Perception to not have to play the identify game and usually get a free refund on XP for the skill after it identifies everything I'm carrying. It might also be worth picking up Song of Elbereth to scare enemies away if you find yourself getting surrounded of trapped often.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

madjackmcmad posted:

I keep a small notebook in my Dungeonquest box and we use it as a death log. It's full of swears and lamentations about getting sliced in half on the first turn.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

As a fighter-like start with House of Feanor, go with a stat line of 2/5/4/3 or 2/4/5/3 (depending on how safe you want to feel Constitution wise). Bring your starting melee and evasion up to +10 or as close as possible. When spending XP, know that stats are usually better than skills if costs are equal (so 500xp in a stat is better than a 500xp skill in most cases), with the exception of smithing (grab just enough to get your free smithing perk of armor or weapon smithing and then ignore it). Another rule of thumb is that your melee and evasion stats should match or exceed whatever floor you are on (50' is 1, 300' is 6, etc), so you don't start falling behind in combat.

For play, try to get a bow and arrows for plinking away at stationary enemies or archers. I usually like to work towards Lore Master in Perception to not have to play the identify game and usually get a free refund on XP for the skill after it identifies everything I'm carrying. It might also be worth picking up Song of Elbereth to scare enemies away if you find yourself getting surrounded of trapped often.

This, basically.

Sprinting + Flanking is a also really nice combination and it's fun to just run circles around everything, hitting them as you go by.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
crossposting because I spent a buncha time doing this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ppPXUz562o
I learned something interesting about how lil hunter works while recording this, at about 0:33-apparently when he lands, his flame particles have a special property for the first one or two frames which makes them break walls(consuming themselves in the process). So I was able to slip through a gap in the fire because he had broken a wall tile in that direction, which is a trick I will probably never manage to replicate.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Crossposting from the gamedev thread to share my 7DRL entry. This is The Hunger. Upon reaching the treasure at the bottom of the dungeon, an evil wizard curses you with the world's fastest metabolism. Moments away from starvation at any point, you must now make your way back to the surface!

The controls are as follows:

Arrows: Move
0-9: Eat Food
Enter: Use Stairs

http://dangermomentum.com/hosted/TheHunger.exe

I made this in Game Maker, didn't have that much time to work on it over the week but it was a nice break from Roggle. Each step you take decreases your food clock. Eat food to get special benefits and fight your way through the dungeon. There are three enemy types and six different types of food. If people like it I might give it some more work and release it as a mobile game.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Awesome stuff, seems sort of super luck driven but a fun premise well executed.

edit: what does starving do?

oh ghosts

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 14, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't like the gameplay, but I really like the look and feel

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Buddy of mine did a 7DRL about killing stuff in an awesome car. Turn based driftuu action shooting bandits and rats.

http://www.patricklipo.com/randomprojects/autofire-a-roguelike-in-7-days/

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

madjackmcmad posted:

Also, towers shouldn't have bosses promoted when you get killed in them, they should always be run by warlords.
whatever kills you should take over as the warlord in a bloody coup using your dropped axe of boss chopping +2

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Made it to wave 6 and died to horrible cybermans. That is completely hilarious and wrapping my head around drifting and momentum in turn based style was pretty great. Handbreak seemed like suicide and I'm pretty sure I took more damage on average from sliding into things than getting shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Awesome! posted:

whatever kills you should take over as the warlord in a bloody coup using your dropped axe of boss chopping +2

That makes sense, but Warlords are very specific encounters you don't get to have anywhere else, and they drop Warlord loot too. I feel lovely robbing players of them.

On the other hand, if a monster that killed you became a Warlord's Lieutenant...