Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, LaF found the 97+ bolt-on bellhousing info as well.

Fortunately the 4.8L LR4 introduction was in 99, which pins the 2wd transmission donor as a 99 or newer and therefore most of the concerns about swappability go away. The donor's a V8, so it should have the larger number of frictions and steels in the clutch packs. Driveshaft will probably have to be a custom job anyways at this point... I'll cut the donor's shaft a foot or two from the yoke so it can be used to retube/sleeve the other shaft if needed and if they match up right lengthwise.

Allegedly per forum info he found, the 2wd and 4wd units have the same harness plug and everything, the 2wd ones just leave the pin positions for the high/low range solenoid and 4x4 solenoid for the transfer case unused, so the ECU may be sad about not having any tcase shift solenoids but all it'll do in response is lock them out (which doesn't affect anything if they aren't there.)

So I'll see what I can do. Gotta get a truck running first, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Also, if your seriously planning on running more power through it than stock, buy a beast sunshell and a HD 3-4 clutch pack and change it out before you reinstall it. I have broken three 700R4/4L60E transmissions, these are the two biggest failure points if your beating on it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Your going to have to flash the ECU anyways for all this to work well. It's easy to fix problems like that. If I was still in RVA I would gladly lend my copy of HP tuners to the cause.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Interesting - thanks a ton. I was just told by LaF (he's on IRC and doing research on this) that the LR4 was only introduced in 99, and this yard rarely gets GM donors newer than 04-05 or so since they go to the premium fullservice yard across the street, so basically it sounds like it'll probably work. I thought GM vehicles of this era used an ECU/TCU pair, not a PCM running both, though?

Should be PCM. (well, its a giant brick with 4 plugs that operate both..) afaik the tahoes didn't get a 4l80 unless it was an optioned 3/4 ton or better. You'll know the difference between the 60 and 80 just glancing at it. 80s are a big-rear end-tranny.

93-95 4l60s had a non-pwm converter. 96 on do. it'll say PWM on the oil pump housing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
3/4 ton ones were 8 lug, as well, right? IIRC this one was the usual 6x5.5.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yes, 8 lugs and came with a 6.0 or 8.1. Suburbans only, I have never seen a 3/4 ton Tahoe.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
IIRC 3/4 ton Tahoes were a thing, but were limited to commercial vehicle sales. Read: cop trucks

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, the PCM is a single big slab that plugs into the two fucknormous connectors on the harness.

Here's a Painless Performance harness for the thing for reference;

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Should be PCM. (well, its a giant brick with 4 plugs that operate both..) afaik the tahoes didn't get a 4l80 unless it was an optioned 3/4 ton or better. You'll know the difference between the 60 and 80 just glancing at it. 80s are a big-rear end-tranny.

The intermediate option was the 4L65E, which came behind the 1/2 ton trucks with the 6.0L LQ4 / LQ9 in them. I"m not sure of all of the physical differences, but they were rated to hold a little more power than the 4L60 IIRC.

I did find a thing while idly browsing CL for cheap stuff I find interesting:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5445584597.html

Parked up allegedly because the rear went bad. Based on the specs they give in the ad (8 foot bed, extended cab, 4x4) this would have the 5.3 in it, although it says someone swiped the ignition coils. It doesn't even look (terribly) beat up or rusty, somehow.

If the donors in the yards don't pan out, maybe this is worth an email or call? Ad's been up for 24 days though, so who knows if it's even there anymore.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've also got access to some pretty detailed breakdown pics through a catalog at work, so if you need 'em, lemme know. Also, 05 started the 4l60 to 4l65 changes by going from a 13 pin connector to a 15 pin connector from what she was saying, however the output shaft splines should be the same as the pre electronic 4l60s if the van driveshaft fits lengthwise.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
The driveshaft's going to be a custom length job regardless, this is not a concern for me. It'll be a case of taking the original driveshaft and the cut-off end that ken brings me to a driveshaft shop and giving them a measurement. Hopefully the overall length is shorter than the original van shaft, but it's not really important.

I heard about the 4L65 stuff but figured it was all in trucks too new for me to have access to - good to know, thanks elmnt80 :3:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Anything I can do to help. It gave me something to entertain myself and it gave my boss an excuse to whip out her transmission reference stuff. She also mentioned that you may want to change the torque converter to something with a different stall speed the second I mentioned a loping cam. Though it would of course depend on how extreme you go with it.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Elmnt80 posted:

Anything I can do to help. It gave me something to entertain myself and it gave my boss an excuse to whip out her transmission reference stuff. She also mentioned that you may want to change the torque converter to something with a different stall speed the second I mentioned a loping cam. Though it would of course depend on how extreme you go with it.

This is how extreme: Thumpr 275 specs

It does recommend a 2000+rpm stall converter, but says the stock converter is OK. I'm happy to be talked into an upgraded converter but will need to be convinced that it's worth whatever money it costs :v:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

This is how extreme: Thumpr 275 specs

It does recommend a 2000+rpm stall converter, but says the stock converter is OK. I'm happy to be talked into an upgraded converter but will need to be convinced that it's worth whatever money it costs :v:

With such a "low" stall RPM I'm certain the eBay market has a poo poo-ton of them available from some racers who got the itch and decided to retire their car from DD duty and make it a strictly race rig.

Have you decided on the 4L60e? $149 right here: http://m.ebay.com/itm/2200-2500-high-stall-GM-Chevy-GMC-Torque-Converter-4L60E-700R4-Lockup-1985-97-/331796948369?nav=SEARCH

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Ripoff posted:

With such a "low" stall RPM I'm certain the eBay market has a poo poo-ton of them available from some racers who got the itch and decided to retire their car from DD duty and make it a strictly race rig.

Have you decided on the 4L60e? $149 right here: http://m.ebay.com/itm/2200-2500-high-stall-GM-Chevy-GMC-Torque-Converter-4L60E-700R4-Lockup-1985-97-/331796948369?nav=SEARCH

Nice. will need some transmission book fuckery to make sure i get the exact right kind once we've got a donor drivetrain, but this is probably worth doing. Thanks :3:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
LADIES AND GOONS HAVE YOU EVER WANTED TO BE ABLE TO CONSIDER YOURSELF RESPONSIBLE FOR AT LEAST SOME PART OF THIS INSANITY? TO LEAVE YOUR MARK ON THE WORLD AND MAKE IT JUST A TINY BIT STRANGER FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF LIKE $10.70 IN SOME CASES?

Well congratufuckinlations! I've been assembling an Amazon list of things we'll probably need and I figured gently caress it, what the hell, some of you might be insane enough to buy us a tube of windo-weld. Probably not, but I lose literally nothing by posting!

If you click this magical link your web browser will be spirited away to an Amazon wish list type dealio page where you too can be responsible for boxes of chevrolet parts appearing on Adiabatic's doorstep!

It's a thoroughly uninteresting list at this point partly due to some things still being up in the air regarding exactly what engine/trans we're going to land up with, but some stuff (like those engine mounts and that tube of windo-weld) is definitely going to be required, and i've marked that stuff as "highest" priority mostly so that I personally don't forget this poo poo.

Do I expect a single one of you to buy a single goddamn thing? Nope! But hey, gently caress it!

In other news, over in Ken's thread he's making headway on getting his MJ working again so that hopefully next week we can finally acquire a powertrain for this magnificent machine and set a bunch of things in stone that are currently set in some kind of semi-thick mud. Maybe that corn starch stuff.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The last two tubes of windo-weld I bought from amazon (one in 2014, one again in late 2015 because I don't learn from my mistakes) were bolt ancient and partially cured in the tube. Beware.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

The last two tubes of windo-weld I bought from amazon (one in 2014, one again in late 2015 because I don't learn from my mistakes) were bolt ancient and partially cured in the tube. Beware.

Interesting, noted. Did they refund you? I feel like they'd refund you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The first one they didn't, but I was kind of an rear end to customer service when they didn't understand my issue (language barrier). The second time I was so bitter I cancelled my prime membership until now.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I like how the smart rear end descriptions are swapped for the engine mounts and window weld. I guess window weld IS a hell of a drug.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Alarbus posted:

I like how the smart rear end descriptions are swapped for the engine mounts and window weld. I guess window weld IS a hell of a drug.

Actually the descriptions are exactly where they should be. The window weld goes into the engine mounts, making them into a poor man's solid engine mount. :pseudo:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
God drat it, I knew that too.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
How well does that work? It's sort of common in the 8th gen civic community but it sounds pretty hacky

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
There was a thing on Hot Rod Garage where they did it, it seems pretty common and makes sense. The 'air gaps' in non-solid mounts are a weak point.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyuAXsqaqfA&t=550s

start at 9:09

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 13, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's been pretty common in the Subaru community for awhile since you can fill the voids in your stock diff bushings without removing it. Since some models don't have an aftermarket diff bushing option it works out pretty well.

I'm sure it far predates that application.

Window-Weld is just liquid urethane so it's really no different from any other bushing. There are guys on GRM who pour their own NLA bushings using a wooden mould and 90A liquid urethane.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

LADIES AND GOONS HAVE YOU EVER WANTED TO BE ABLE TO CONSIDER YOURSELF RESPONSIBLE FOR AT LEAST SOME PART OF THIS INSANITY? TO LEAVE YOUR MARK ON THE WORLD AND MAKE IT JUST A TINY BIT STRANGER FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF LIKE $10.70 IN SOME CASES?

Well congratufuckinlations! I've been assembling an Amazon list of things we'll probably need and I figured gently caress it, what the hell, some of you might be insane enough to buy us a tube of windo-weld. Probably not, but I lose literally nothing by posting!

If you click this magical link your web browser will be spirited away to an Amazon wish list type dealio page where you too can be responsible for boxes of chevrolet parts appearing on Adiabatic's doorstep!

It's a thoroughly uninteresting list at this point partly due to some things still being up in the air regarding exactly what engine/trans we're going to land up with, but some stuff (like those engine mounts and that tube of windo-weld) is definitely going to be required, and i've marked that stuff as "highest" priority mostly so that I personally don't forget this poo poo.

Do I expect a single one of you to buy a single goddamn thing? Nope! But hey, gently caress it!

In other news, over in Ken's thread he's making headway on getting his MJ working again so that hopefully next week we can finally acquire a powertrain for this magnificent machine and set a bunch of things in stone that are currently set in some kind of semi-thick mud. Maybe that corn starch stuff.

Regarding your choice of swap mount plates, you might consider the sliding ones since your space is tight in there. Sliding the engine forward or backwards by a half inch might be helpful? Who knows.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have urethaned the engine mounts in my 98 Explorer, my 97 Outback (RIP), and the transmission nose mount for the beetle. Seems okay so far.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Our commercial sales dude did it to the mounts on his crapcan pt cruiser after they started to fail. They seem to work perfectly. vOv

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I did it to a '93 Cadillac STS I bought off the back lot of an Acura dealer for next to nothing. They couldn't figure out why the right rear wheel was flopping all over. Bushing was non-replacable, but I just pumped that fucker full of urethane and when it cured it worked perfectly.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

Regarding your choice of swap mount plates, you might consider the sliding ones since your space is tight in there. Sliding the engine forward or backwards by a half inch might be helpful? Who knows.

That's a fair point. I can get an adjustable plate that replaces the engine-side plate that kit comes with for $29 though; https://www.amazon.com/Billet-Bracket-Conversion-Adjustable-Adapter/dp/B00JU7LQ8Y/

I should probably add it to the list

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

There was a thing on Hot Rod Garage where they did it, it seems pretty common and makes sense. The 'air gaps' in non-solid mounts are a weak point.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyuAXsqaqfA&t=550s @ 9:09

This is actually where I got that idea as that first build video is very similar to what we're doing (SBC out, LM7 in) except that they elected to use a built 700R4 instead of the stock 4L60E. Not a major difference.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 14, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

it's just exhaust parts and a fuel pump but you gotta start somewhere

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
ALRIGHT WHICH ONE OF YOU BOUGHT US BRAKE DISCS AND DRUM HARDWARE

Thankyou :3::3::3:

E: Lets continue today's mailbag!

Windo-weld:

Flowtech Warlock:

Two mufflers, two motor mounts, and a fuel pump:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 18, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
BOOOOOOOOOOKED

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
poo poo, only four months to get the van ready?! :derp:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

RoadKill has slammed together less in 72 hours and driven it across the country. :colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It usually makes most of the trip with no hood on it, nearly kills them from carbon monoxide poisoning and turns a 1-2 day trip into a week. :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Yeah but we have 4 months not 72 hours :v:

It should be fine. On the surface, this swap seems way harder than it is. Rednecks can do it in a few weekends, and given that we have people with actual brains and mechanical skills involved, we should be closer to the 2-3 days of solid work that Hot Rod Garage put in to do their almost-identical-circumstances swap in the Bonemaro.

This of course all depends on Ken fixing and MJ and getting us a powertrain :ohdear:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

RoadKill has slammed together less in 72 hours and driven it across the country. :colbert:

They don't have day jobs getting in the way.

as for the MJ and powertrain... working on it.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
All good, man. No huge rush just yet.

If roadkill can half-rear end it in 72 hours, we can 3/4-rear end it in 3 weekends, right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
It's all moot currently anyways. I won't be able to put any appreciable time into it until May.

• Locked thread