Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My best friend since 2nd grade had a wife in another country, lost both full time remote jobs, was racking up credit card debt in Miami, I got him a crackin' awesome job and me a $2500 referral bonus, he gets to live in San Francisco down the street from me, wife gets to move to America

Everything is awesome :jeb::hf::jeb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cQgQIMlwWw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

Gildiss posted:

Apply to Bank of America, they are in Charlotte and Jersey City. Ridiculously low expectations and standards with top grade pay.

For web dev jobs? Did you work there in the past or what?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Necc0 posted:

They're just another company where you'll have to deal with bullshit just like any other. Understanding this will help with the anxiety.

Thanks for this, it might sound dumb but thinking of them as "just another company" actually helped calm my nerves.

n4 posted:

Check out Cracking the Coding Interview. Google outright recommends it as study material for their interviews.

I've got a copy and I just started skimming it. I like the way the solutions are presented.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
Also keep in mind you can schedule the technical interview when you like. If you're not in a hurry to leave your current job, you can give yourself a month or so to work on problems in your spare time.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Doghouse posted:

Cover letters shouldn't matter all that much, I don't think.
It's a filter. If they're getting thrown out of 100+ places, maybe it's worth spending effort to get past another filter. Cover letters show you've done some basic research on the company and maybe they've been a good word from HR short of getting a hiring manager's attention.

meatpotato posted:

I'm freaking out a little bit because I failed the last phone screen badly and I'd like to do better this time. However, I'm not familiar at all with the type of algorithm questions they're known for asking. Most of my work is bare-metal embedded stuff and doesn't remotely touch on mathematical stuff.
On my last phone screen with them I messed up some op-amp questions, they're broader than pure algorithms now. If they're reaching out to you, they're probably aware of what you do. That isn't to say don't study, but some questions should fall into your relevant experience.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Newbie Resume Question

I worked as a Junior at a agency making websites for about 8 months. Is there anything wrong with me putting a Work Projects section on my resume where I can list some of the websites I helped create and what my responsibilities were on those websites (They're not under a NDA or anything like that)? I'm finding it much easier to explain what I did at the company that way then listing it all under the Junior Developer heading in my Experience section.

Edit - Oh and here is my resume. Any critiques welcome
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zc8u8gbf0x7u7ol/resumeforgoons.pdf?dl=0

College Rockout fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 8, 2016

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I work at a very toxic startup and I've finally decided that I need to leave, but I'm only 10 months in at my first engineering position. Obviously, this is going to come up when I'm interviewing, what are acceptable reasons to give that don't make me look like I'm a flake?

The main reasons I want to leave are:
  • Despite growing tremendously over the past year, mgmt still refuses to hire an actual product team, which means everyone, including myself plays product manager on a stupid amount of things. There are days I don't write or think about code at all and I spend a bunch of time coming up with ideas for things products which definitely don't fall into either my realm of expertise or strengths. This is a fairly recent development that is getting worse by the week and I definitely would not have taken the job if I knew about this.

• Terrible meeting culture. I spend like 16-20 hours a week in meetings. A large portion of which are focused on company wide things that have no bearing on my day to day work.

• Despite claiming we are fast paced, there is way too much process and everything moves at snail's pace, which is the opposite reason I joined a startup.

• Completely toxic culture stemming from several highly unethical recent events, that has made all employees including myself fearful to be honest with management, and most of the people I talk to are also looking to get out.

I'm really bummed about this because I truly do love the people I work with and the product, but the management makes it unbearable. This all stems from our CEO who doesn't exactly take feedback well, so there's not really any hope for change. All in all, this was a really bad fit for me and I'm having a lot of anxiety about how it will potentially affect my career.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
When talking to new places, I'd stick with #2 and #4

Skip #1 because it could make you sound like not a team player who refuses to step out of your comfort zone.

#3 could go either way.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Tomahawk posted:

I work at a very toxic startup and I've finally decided that I need to leave, but I'm only 10 months in at my first engineering position. Obviously, this is going to come up when I'm interviewing, what are acceptable reasons to give that don't make me look like I'm a flake?

The main reasons I want to leave are:
  • Despite growing tremendously over the past year, mgmt still refuses to hire an actual product team, which means everyone, including myself plays product manager on a stupid amount of things. There are days I don't write or think about code at all and I spend a bunch of time coming up with ideas for things products which definitely don't fall into either my realm of expertise or strengths. This is a fairly recent development that is getting worse by the week and I definitely would not have taken the job if I knew about this.

• Terrible meeting culture. I spend like 16-20 hours a week in meetings. A large portion of which are focused on company wide things that have no bearing on my day to day work.

• Despite claiming we are fast paced, there is way too much process and everything moves at snail's pace, which is the opposite reason I joined a startup.

• Completely toxic culture stemming from several highly unethical recent events, that has made all employees including myself fearful to be honest with management, and most of the people I talk to are also looking to get out.

I'm really bummed about this because I truly do love the people I work with and the product, but the management makes it unbearable. This all stems from our CEO who doesn't exactly take feedback well, so there's not really any hope for change. All in all, this was a really bad fit for me and I'm having a lot of anxiety about how it will potentially affect my career.

Ehhhhh....10 months is almost a year, by the time you get in somewhere else it'll be a year. I think just saying something like "it was a great first job and I learned a lot but this company seems like a much better fit long term" or whatever. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Posted this initially in the resume thread, but I figure more people would know here:

Question on formatting that ties back into some previous discussion. I'm a senior, double majoring in computer science and linguistics, and I got accepted to a master's at my current university, in computational linguistics. It's only one year due to me being an alumnus and thus having the relevant background coursework, but I would graduate with the same degree that the regular MA students do.

How should this be formatted on a resume (one University Name heading or two?) and is it okay for me to put "Expected May 2017" for the master's even though I haven't technically started it yet? If I do put it, does it deserve an explanation, on either the resume or a cover letter? Right now, I have something like this:
code:
University Name											City, State
Master of Arts in Computational Linguistics							Expected May 2017
Accepted for 2016-2017 as part of BA/MA program

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Language and Linguistics				Expected May 2016
(GPA, awards/scholarships, relevant coursework for position, etc)
except formatted nicely :v:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tomahawk posted:

A plethora of meetings and startups is big red flag, that cannot be financially sustainable in any way whatsoever.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Right now, I have something like this:
code:
Master of Arts in Computational Linguistics							Expected May 2017
Accepted for 2016-2017 as part of BA/MA program

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Language and Linguistics				Expected May 2016
(GPA, awards/scholarships, relevant coursework for position, etc)
except formatted nicely :v:

I used to do something like this, but I switched it up to have my degrees on top (bolded, very slightly larger font size), University name underneath (not bolded), completed, to be awarded <date> (for my second degree), and I personally didn't bother with the city/province because I figure they can look that up or just won't care.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

College Rockout posted:

Newbie Resume Question

I worked as a Junior at a agency making websites for about 8 months. Is there anything wrong with me putting a Work Projects section on my resume where I can list some of the websites I helped create and what my responsibilities were on those websites (They're not under a NDA or anything like that)? I'm finding it much easier to explain what I did at the company that way then listing it all under the Junior Developer heading in my Experience section

There's no reason to put your work projects in a separate section. They were for work. Put them in the work experience section where they belong. Looking at your resume, I can see where you want to logically group things by website, but all that does is diminish your accomplishments. Just list what you did at that company. If you designed a particular website, that's a bullet point (name/link the website as part of the bullet point). If you led a team of developers, that's a bullet point. If you worked with customers to take feedback and answer questions, that's a bullet point.

It doesn't matter that you didn't do some of that poo poo for EVERY web site you worked on, all that matters is that you did it at that company at some point. The details of how much you did a particular thing can be saved for technical interviews, if that detail even comes up.

Also, I would actually use bullet points rather than simple indents - it lets you spend more than one line describing what you did without sacrificing clarity if you really need to.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

While studying I sometimes encounter questions that make me ask: "How the hell was I supposed to figure out the answer to that?" I encountered two of these today while doing LeetCode exercises. One was about finding the longest palindromic substring, and the other was about finding the max product subarray (and the array can contain zeroes and negative numbers).

I mean, I'm not a complete beginner here, but I had no idea how to solve these, and the explanations on Youtube are not that easy to grasp as well.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
You really can't intuitively figure those problems out. One of the most difficult courses at my university is an upper level algorithms course, and in the end, it's still incredibly hard to spontaneously come up with solutions to tough algorithmic problems. That said, problems similar to both the ones you mentioned showed up on that class. Instances like these are where the distinction between computer science and programming becomes a little bit more apparent

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Longest palindromic substring seems like an extension of a textbook dynamic programming question. Max product subarray might be the same.

That said, it may take a while of having to play around with the problem until you start to see a decent path for a solution. Also the more you work, if you aren't keeping up with programming interview questions like that then it'll probably be less obvious. Also the programming interview questions for the most part will probably be simpler problems than those, although now I'm starting to think I read about longest palindromic substring being a problem Facebook has asked before.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

piratepilates posted:

Longest palindromic substring seems like an extension of a textbook dynamic programming question. Max product subarray might be the same.

Yeah, they're both DP. For max product subarray I coded a modified version of Kadane's algorithm before realizing that negative numbers mess things up. And longest palindromic substring can be done in O(n^2) time using DP, but you have to create a matrix instead of an array which is something I would never figure out on my own. There's also apparently a linear time solution for it too apparently.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

UnfurledSails posted:

Yeah, they're both DP. For max product subarray I coded a modified version of Kadane's algorithm before realizing that negative numbers mess things up. And longest palindromic substring can be done in O(n^2) time using DP, but you have to create a matrix instead of an array which is something I would never figure out on my own. There's also apparently a linear time solution for it too apparently.

I wouldn't refer to Kadane's algorithm as dynamic programming. It's a NFA run in linear time by evaluating all the transitions in lock-step and collapsing duplicate states by taking the maximum. That's the same insight Thompson's NFA uses to test regular expressions in linear time (Russ Cox has a thorough writeup implementing that algorithm in C).

This generalizes to similar, but more complicated problems. For the maximum product, we also have to keep track of the minimum for negatives. Here's a talk that covers writing and running a NFA to find the max non-segment sum in linear time (their example: [-1 4 5 -3 -4] => 5).

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

UnfurledSails posted:

And longest palindromic substring can be done in O(n^2) time using DP, but you have to create a matrix instead of an array which is something I would never figure out on my own. There's also apparently a linear time solution for it too apparently.

if you actually get an interviewer who asks you to solve this you should say "oh, i just want the longest common subsequence of the string and its reverse." unless you actually meant substring then bleh

FamDav fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 13, 2016

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I got an offer from a big company last year for ~$135k/yr.

I turned it down to work at another big company, which I ended up negotiating up to ~$200k total comp (taking into account stock price increases since hire date). Sometime in the next 6 months, I will likely receive a pay bump of $20-40k. I also expect to get promoted for a significant pay bump within the next 6-12 months, and if not, I think I will probably get a $10-15k raise next year.

So last week, a different recruiter from the company I turned down reached out to me. They know I turned down their offer because it wasn't high enough last time. They want to talk again and get a new number worked out up front before we proceed. I've heard that this is the sort of thing I can use to get a raise or some kind of retention bonus at my current company, but I'm having a hard time seeing how that could happen. If I tell them I'm making $200k/yr and expect to make > $220k/yr within the next six months, plus get promoted for a further bump, won't they just run screaming, which would mean I definitely don't get an offer from them? Should I just tell them I make $200k and let them go from there or what?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Safe and Secure! posted:

I got an offer from a big company last year for ~$135k/yr.

I turned it down to work at another big company, which I ended up negotiating up to ~$200k total comp (taking into account stock price increases since hire date). Sometime in the next 6 months, I will likely receive a pay bump of $20-40k. I also expect to get promoted for a significant pay bump within the next 6-12 months, and if not, I think I will probably get a $10-15k raise next year.

So last week, a different recruiter from the company I turned down reached out to me. They know I turned down their offer because it wasn't high enough last time. They want to talk again and get a new number worked out up front before we proceed. I've heard that this is the sort of thing I can use to get a raise or some kind of retention bonus at my current company, but I'm having a hard time seeing how that could happen. If I tell them I'm making $200k/yr and expect to make > $220k/yr within the next six months, plus get promoted for a further bump, won't they just run screaming, which would mean I definitely don't get an offer from them? Should I just tell them I make $200k and let them go from there or what?

Are you sure you're still a Newbie Programmer?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

UnfurledSails posted:

And longest palindromic substring can be done in O(n^2) time using DP, but you have to create a matrix instead of an array which is something I would never figure out on my own.

You can get n^2 worst case with linear average without being clever about it at all. No need for DP or any real compsci stuff. And n^2 in general is absolutely the most trivial solution of looking at all the substrings.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

sarehu posted:

You can get n^2 worst case with linear average without being clever about it at all. No need for DP or any real compsci stuff. And n^2 in general is absolutely the most trivial solution of looking at all the substrings.

The brute force version you are talking about is O(n^3). You pick all start and end positions possible for a substring, which is O(n^2), and then you spend O(n) work verifying checking whether each substring is a palindrome.

UnfurledSails fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 13, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Analytic Engine posted:

Are you sure you're still a Newbie Programmer?
IIRC he's only been working as a programmer for a few years, so sort of?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Cicero posted:

IIRC he's only been working as a programmer for a few years, so sort of?

The oldie thread is really the "have you worked in tech longer than 3 years" thread.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

UnfurledSails posted:

The brute force version you are talking about is O(n^3). You pick all start and end positions possible for a substring, which is O(n^2), and then you spend O(n) work verifying checking whether each substring is a palindrome.

The brute force version I (and sarehu, I'll wager) first thought of is, for each of the n positions, finding the largest palindrome of which it is the centre, which is O(n^2).

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
edit: nm

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 13, 2016

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

GeneralZod posted:

The brute force version I (and sarehu, I'll wager) first thought of is, for each of the n positions, finding the largest palindrome of which it is the centre, which is O(n^2).

2n-1 positions.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

FamDav posted:

The oldie thread is really the "have you worked in tech longer than 3 years" thread.

Just over two years.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Safe and Secure! posted:

Just over two years.

I've been doing this for 4 months and would like to be making $200k next year, please tell me your secrets.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

live in sf?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

camoseven posted:

I've been doing this for 4 months and would like to be making $200k next year, please tell me your secrets.

I just want to get to where you are right now.

camoseven posted:

However, I make twice as much money as I used to, my job is loving amazing, and I wake up excited to go to work everyday.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

camoseven posted:

He's counting stock price increases, which isn't really total compensation so to speak. It's not really reliable and won't hold much leverage in negotiations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have 14,000 shares which are less than a dollar each, but I'm valuing them at a future price of $100/share each, giving me a $140,000 annual raise over 10 years :smug:

Until then I'm still living in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment :smith:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

jabro posted:

I just want to get to where you are right now.

You can do it, buddy!!! :unsmith:

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
How much job hopping is too much? Is it worth passing up a better offer because you've only been in the current position for six months?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

KernelSlanders posted:

How much job hopping is too much? Is it worth passing up a better offer because you've only been in the current position for six months?

It's only a problem if it's a pattern. I left a lovely job after 6 months. People ask "what happened there?" during interviews occasionally, but I just say "bad culture fit" (lol) or "better gig dropped into my lap, decided to go for it" (which is actually true) and move on.

If you have 10 jobs in 5 or 6 years, that's a problem, because it's a red flag that you are either incapable of working well on a team or just god-awful and keep getting fired.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 14, 2016

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

GeneralZod posted:

Actually no, I'm just a retard. That was the typically-O(n) solution I was talking about.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I recently saw a resume where the guy had 20 years of experience without ever making it to a year at any one company, and that was the first and only time that someone's job hopping was even notable. If anything one or two <1 year stints is the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Yeah, this was more of: is it worth it to leave a job after six months, with a previous one of one year for a new job that's better, but likely to only last 1-2 years?