Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
So in the first episode the past pushes back so hard that a car crashes through a telephone booth, killing the driver, and now the worst that happens is that Jake gets caught in a brothel? Man. The first episode sure set the bar high. Here's hoping something worthwhile happens in the next episode and it's not just the ex-husband lurking in the shadows.

I'm also kind of sad there's not more references to Jake feeling out of place. The pop culture references are nice but not quite there, for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Why did Miss Mimi not know about the Mafia? I'm confused how something that big wouldn't be known?

Medullah posted:

Just Google a Price Albert if you want to be extra scarred then

I can handle most gore, as long as it has nothing to do with the penis. :(

People who are into that poo poo are hosed up, no joke.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was confused about that as well. I don't know how much the mafia was in American media in the 60s but surely she would have to have hard of it from news stories over the years.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

I was confused about that as well. I don't know how much the mafia was in American media in the 60s but surely she would have to have hard of it from news stories over the years.

late 50s early 60s it was a pretty big deal. 63 the first major player went state's evidence. I'd think the mafia would have been news.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Wikipedia:

"The public's association of the word with the criminal secret society was perhaps inspired by the 1863 play "I mafiusi di la Vicaria" ("The Mafiosi of the Vicaria") by Giuseppe Rizzotto and Gaspare Mosca. The words Mafia and mafiusi are never mentioned in the play; they were probably put in the title to add a local flair. The play is about a Palermo prison gang with traits similar to the Mafia: a boss, an initiation ritual, and talk of "umirtà" (omertà or code of silence) and "pizzu" (a codeword for extortion money).[8] The play had great success throughout Italy. Soon after, the use of the term mafia began appearing in the Italian state's early reports on the phenomenon. The word made its first official appearance in 1865 in a report by the prefect of Palermo, Filippo Antonio Gualterio.[9]"

It's currently 1962.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Azhais posted:

late 50s early 60s it was a pretty big deal. 63 the first major player went state's evidence. I'd think the mafia would have been news.

But maybe not news in a small town which back in that time really pretty much just focused on local news and the big things like war/space race/etc.

(Or it could just be a mistake)

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Joe Vilachi testified a month before the Kennedy assassination. It makes perfect sense that small town Texans don't know anything about somewhat mythic east coast crime syndicates.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The clothespin thing was very well done. It brought home how hosed up that guy is in the head, while leaving all the details to the viewer's own imagination. I hope they never mention it again.

Also, I'm still kinda struggling with the whole premise of the show. Maybe it's because I'm not American, but I just don't understand why preventing the JFK assassination is supposed to be such a big deal. Why would you assume that it would make the world better? Why would you spend years of your life on this? This obsession seems to come out of nowhere.

I guess it would be kinda interesting to see how it changes the flow of history, but I wouldn't waste years of my life.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

waitwhatno posted:

The clothespin thing was very well done. It brought home how hosed up that guy is in the head, while leaving all the details to the viewer's own imagination. I hope they never mention it again.

Also, I'm still kinda struggling with the whole premise of the show. Maybe it's because I'm not American, but I just don't understand why preventing the JFK assassination is supposed to be such a big deal. Why would you assume that it would make the world better? Why would you spend years of your life on this? This obsession seems to come out of nowhere.

I guess it would be kinda interesting to see how it changes the flow of history, but I wouldn't waste years of my life.

I think it's a bit of an American thing, but it's also an age thing. For Boomers, it's what "stopping 9/11" would be to us. It's a bit of a stretch to believe that Franco's character, a solid Gen Xer, would care as much. I kinda had the same doubts when I read the book, but it was inevitable when you're reading a book by a Boomer who started writing it in the 70s and was writing a character much younger than he is now. King can't quite step into the shoes of someone born in the 70s so there's a little less fish out of water stuff than you or I would experience going back 50 years. Though I have to say somewhat selfishly a Gen Xer would be slightly more able to fit into 1960 than someone born in an era of Internet, more than 3 channels on tv, microwaves, VCRs/DVDs, cell phones/no rotary phones, etc. People born in the 70s can at least remember some of that from their childhood.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Al framed stopping the assassination as a way of preventing Vietnam from happening, which would presumably in turn stop the military-industrial complex from developing and American policy from overcompensating after getting their rear end handed to them and being forced to retreat. Whether it would really happen or not, in the story it's not just about the soldiers who died in Vietnam but pretty much every major military conflict afterward. Including 9/11.

Plus it's one of the few major historical turning points that was a singular event done by one person (barring conspiracy theories), which is why it works from a storytelling perspective as something a single man could feasibly prevent. Even moreso than the well-worn time travel trope of assassinating Hitler.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He also mentions it would likely prevent RFK from being assassinated (and maybe MLK) since he was the big anti-war nominee. You'd also probably prevent Nixon's presidency too.

Of course, without JFK's death, RFK doesn't get the soul-searching experience that turns him hard to fighting poverty and war, so he's likely become a hawkish Dem in favor of using the CIA to quell subversives...

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FilthyImp posted:

He also mentions it would likely prevent RFK from being assassinated (and maybe MLK) since he was the big anti-war nominee. You'd also probably prevent Nixon's presidency too.

I thought Nixon made for a pretty great president. Sure he lied, but so did every other president (Bush literally monitored every brown person in america under the patriot act in front of the public's eye), Nixon just got caught. But nixon had great foreign policy, he established the EPA, he started the National Cancer act to put federal funding into cancer research, he was instrumental in implementing policies to repair racial relations, and help oppressed blacks at least get some recompense through affirmative action policies. He also helped desegregate southern schools and ensured that federal loan services could not discriminate based on gender or race.

Nixon, I think, was a fantastic president based on what I've read about his presidency. Then again, I was born in the mid 90's so I literally only have had exposure to two presidents (too young for clinton), so what do I know.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yeah there is no way i would stop the assassination. With the threat of nuclear war i wouldn't change anything major like that. I mean we survived to 2016, why would you risk it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was there ever really a risk of nuclear war? While it was all wink wink nudge nudge, we fought Russia in Korea, Vietnam, and all the poo poo in the middle east. There weren't any nukes thrown around.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cojawfee posted:

Was there ever really a risk of nuclear war? While it was all wink wink nudge nudge, we fought Russia in Korea, Vietnam, and all the poo poo in the middle east. There weren't any nukes thrown around.

There was, but not really after the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There were near misses after that, but they were mostly from computers loving up and miscommunications.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There were near misses after that, but they were mostly from computers loving up and miscommunications.

http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/5-cold-war-close-calls

Surprisingly good article from the History Channel. The fourth one on their list is the one I always think of when someone mentions times when the Cold War almost went hot.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Fragmented posted:

Yeah there is no way i would stop the assassination. With the threat of nuclear war i wouldn't change anything major like that. I mean we survived to 2016, why would you risk it?

You could always reset one more time if the world went to poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ExtraNoise posted:

http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/5-cold-war-close-calls

Surprisingly good article from the History Channel. The fourth one on their list is the one I always think of when someone mentions times when the Cold War almost went hot.

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/false-alarm-how-a-bear-nearly-started-a-nuclear-war/article_bc6f4da6-a89c-5d7d-bf0a-e41150753b62.html

Lest we forget the bear

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You could always reset one more time if the world went to poo poo.

What if you went back to 2016 and were instantly exposed to lethal doses of nuclear fallout radiation?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That was the original concept of the book- there were no resets, he got a lethal dose of radiation when he came back, and he had to stop himself in the past before the radiation poisoning killed him.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That was the original concept of the book- there were no resets, he got a lethal dose of radiation when he came back, and he had to stop himself in the past before the radiation poisoning killed him.

Before anybody worries about this being a spoiler, originally Under the Dome was about an apartment building getting locked off from civilization and the residents having to resort to cannibalism. Some of King's stories go through a lot of iterations.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I hope this show ends up with Franco coming back to 2016 and getting murdered by a thug at a Donald Trump rally.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I hope he comes back and it's just like 1985 in Back to the Future 2. Don't gently caress with history.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ravane posted:

I thought Nixon made for a pretty great president. Sure he lied, but so did every other president (Bush literally monitored every brown person in america under the patriot act in front of the public's eye), Nixon just got caught. But nixon had great foreign policy, he established the EPA, he started the National Cancer act to put federal funding into cancer research, he was instrumental in implementing policies to repair racial relations, and help oppressed blacks at least get some recompense through affirmative action policies. He also helped desegregate southern schools and ensured that federal loan services could not discriminate based on gender or race.

Nixon, I think, was a fantastic president based on what I've read about his presidency. Then again, I was born in the mid 90's so I literally only have had exposure to two presidents (too young for clinton), so what do I know.

lol

No.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ravane is a boring troll, please don't encourage him by quoting and/or responding to him.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh, sorry

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In fairness, Nixon was remarkably civil and fell on the sword during the Kennedy election, when he could have contested all the voting discrepancies and thrown a shadow over the whole thing. Instead, he felt that the succession of the presidency should never be called into question and just peaced out.

Of course, he took the ratfuck tricks to heart for his term in office.

I probably should have thrown in LBJ likely doesn't propose The Great Society as a result of saving Jack. So there's a whole lot of negatives off the bat.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Comparing JFK's assassination to a boomer 9/11 kinda works for me. Cause I would totally spent a couple years in the 90's, to prevent 9/11. Life was nice back then, almost idyllic. I would go to a Nirvana concert, get a cheap college education and smoke inside buildings all the time. The life of kings.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FilthyImp posted:

In fairness, Nixon was remarkably civil and fell on the sword during the Kennedy election,

His California bid, less so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo9FlPeKKzA

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

waitwhatno posted:

Comparing JFK's assassination to a boomer 9/11 kinda works for me. Cause I would totally spent a couple years in the 90's, to prevent 9/11. Life was nice back then, almost idyllic. I would go to a Nirvana concert, get a cheap college education and smoke inside buildings all the time. The life of kings.

Stopping 9/11 would be so loving easy with what we know. It would be just the pilot.

Edit: Actually now that i think about it wouldn't stopping the JFK assassination be just as easy? Just call the secret service and tell them your neighbor told you he's going to shoot the president(and hes a marine sniper that defected to the USSR, and he showed you his rifle)? Stick around for a year or so and see if the assassination happens differently and if it does with Oswald in jail, boom: Conspiracy. Reset try again.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 14, 2016

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

In the book, Al addresses his reasoning for what events he believes unfold:

(I don't think this is spoilery, but if it is I will put a spoiler tag around it if someone wants me to.)

The Book posted:

"Oh, I'm talking about a lot more than that, because this ain't some butterfly in China, buddy. I'm also talking about saving RFK's life, because if John lives in Dallas, Robert probably doesn't run for president in 1968. The country wouldn't have been ready to replace one Kennedy with another."

"You don't know that for sure."

"No, but listen. Do you think that if you save John Kennedy's life, his brother Robert is still at the Ambassador Hotel at twelve-fifteen in the morning on June fifth, 1968? And even if he is, is Sirhan Sirhan still working in the kitchen?"

Maybe, but the chances had to be awfully small. If you introduced a million variables into an equation, of course the answer was going to change.

"Or what about Martin Luther King? Is he still in Memphis in April of '68? Even if he is, is he still standing on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel at exactly the right time for James Earl Ray to shoot him? What do you think?"

"If that butterfly theory is right, probably not."

"That's what I think, too. And if MLK lives, the race riots that followed his death don't happen. Maybe Fred Hampton doesn't get shot in Chicago."

"Who?"

He ignored me. "For that matter, maybe there's no Symbionese Liberation Army. No SLA, no Patty Hearst kidnapping. No Patty Hearst kidnapping, a small but maybe significant reduction in black fear among middle-class whites."

[...]

"Or what about Vietnam? Johnson was the one who started all the insane escalation. Kennedy was a cold warrior, no doubt about it, but Johnson took it to the next level. He had the same my-balls-are-bigger-than-yours complex that Dubya showed off when he stood in front of the cameras and said, 'Bring it on.' Kennedy might have changed his mind. Johnson and Nixon were incapable of that. Thanks to them, we lost almost sixty thousand American soldiers in Nam. The Vietnamese, North and South, lost millions. Is the butcher's bill that high if Kennedy doesn't die in Dallas?"

"I don't know. And neither do you, Al."

I think what gets lost in a lot of King's works being put to film is the uncertainty and doubt his characters have. They think a lot of the things the readers think (like a lot of the points that have come up in this thread about butterfly effects) but there's usually no way to dialogue that or not enough time to put it in.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Al's bit there makes it into the series, at least in part, but it's kind of easily glossed over sadly. I remember the RFK bit at least.

Fragmented posted:

Just call the secret service and tell them your neighbor told you he's going to shoot the president(and hes a marine sniper that defected to the USSR, and he showed you his rifle)?
Or if there is a conspiracy and the CIAMafia make it happen anyway, at least you know the job is harder than you think.

Another analogy to stopping JFK9-11: Camelot doesn't fall, American disillusionment doesn't start ratcheting up.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sleeveless posted:

Ravane is a boring troll, please don't encourage him by quoting and/or responding to him.

Yeah, thanks for dismissing my opinion without offering any substantial argument against it. That's totally discussion inducing. I don't understand why 90% of you idiots would rather listen to the same opinions spouted over and over again than something that challenges those opinions. Nixon was a great president for all the reasons I mentioned, and I don't give a gently caress what you 40 year olds think (unless you can give a decent argument to convince me otherwise).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nixon did do some good things that were overshadowed by his condoning of dirty tricks and social opinions common to the time which would make him Shitlord Tier Level today (but were also common to many liberal heroes of the era). Also he has been demonized by Boomers to this day to the point where it's a joke. Guys like Matt Groening still hate Nixon to a silly degree. He was a competent President in many respects. He even believed in Single Payer Healthcare IIRC.

FilthyImp posted:

Another analogy to stopping JFK9-11: Camelot doesn't fall, American disillusionment doesn't start ratcheting up.

One problem is of course do things could easily get worse if we don't go through the disillusionment of the assassinations and Watergate. Just like if you prevent 9/11 does the lack of survellence and awareness allow for a greater terrorist attack 10 years later?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Astroman posted:

Nixon did do some good things that were overshadowed by his condoning of dirty tricks and social opinions common to the time which would make him Shitlord Tier Level today (but were also common to many liberal heroes of the era). Also he has been demonized by Boomers to this day to the point where it's a joke. Guys like Matt Groening still hate Nixon to a silly degree. He was a competent President in many respects. He even believed in Single Payer Healthcare IIRC.

Yeah, the views about Nixon always feel completely polarized to the watergate scandal, which makes views about his presidency largely reductive. And it's so prevalent that offering an alternative viewpoint is just automatically disregarded (much like criticism against gandhi in indian society where he is deified).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ravane posted:

Yeah, the views about Nixon always feel completely polarized to the watergate scandal, which makes views about his presidency largely reductive. And it's so prevalent that offering an alternative viewpoint is just automatically disregarded (much like criticism against gandhi in indian society where he is deified).

Nixon also escalated the war in Vietnam, bombing additional sovereign nations, so when you say he has good foreign policy, it seems like a troll.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blue squares posted:

Nixon also escalated the war in Vietnam, bombing additional sovereign nations, so when you say he has good foreign policy, it seems like a troll.

He not only escalated the war but he deliberately sabotaged peace talks so that he would win the 1968 election.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

blue squares posted:

I didn't know that he bombed other sovereign nations, I'll have to do research on this. But my understanding is that he inherited this war, a war that shouldn't have been fought in the first place, a war that was only fought because America is an interventionist country. And America was already losing the war, and in the face of the cold war, America looking like the weaker nation in front of the USSR was a no-go. Which is why I think he justified escalating the war.

I'm not supporting that, but these are all tough decisions, it's hard to criticize when I don't know what he could have done alternatively. Hell, we didn't have to go into war at all, we could criticize Kennedy for putting the US in vietnam in the first place. But we don't do that and Nixon seems to just be the scapegoat for everything Vietnam related.

I still think he had pretty decent foreign policy comparatively to the presidents that came before him. Specifically I'm speaking about his visit to china: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Nixon_visit_to_China, which marks the first time a US president ever went to China and it was imperative in de-escalating Cold War tensions because it dramatically shifted the balance of power that the US had over the USSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ravane posted:

I didn't know that he bombed other sovereign nations, I'll have to do research on this. But my understanding is that he inherited this war, a war that shouldn't have been fought in the first place, a war that was only fought because America is an interventionist country. And America was already losing the war, and in the face of the cold war, America looking like the weaker nation in front of the USSR was a no-go. Which is why I think he justified escalating the war.

I'm not supporting that, but these are all tough decisions, it's hard to criticize when I don't know what he could have done alternatively. Hell, we didn't have to go into war at all, we could criticize Kennedy for putting the US in vietnam in the first place. But we don't do that and Nixon seems to just be the scapegoat for everything Vietnam related.

I still think he had pretty decent foreign policy comparatively to the presidents that came before him. Specifically I'm speaking about his visit to china: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Nixon_visit_to_China, which marks the first time a US president ever went to China and it was imperative in de-escalating Cold War tensions because it dramatically shifted the balance of power that the US had over the USSR.

If you really want to know about Nixon, the oft-recommended book Nixonland is fantastic.

• Locked thread