Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yar The Pirate posted:

I'm looking for a management sim that is most likely going to be sports-related, but doesn't have to be. Football Manager 2016 looks interesting since it's got a cool looking simulation engine showing your team in action, but it looks a bit too in-depth compared to the amount of time I'm willing to put into it. The concept of relegation looks really cool since you have the potential to rise and fall repeatedly over the years.

I remember NBA2k having a pretty neat GM mode where you could play games and manage the team, would that be a good alternative to someone who knows almost nothing about soccer? Or are there better management sims on the PC that I'm not thinking of? It doesn't necessarily have to be sports-related.

How abstract/hands off are you willing to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

1redflag posted:

Looking for a new game on PS4. I like platformers and action/adventure. Just finished The Last of Us and Batman: Arkham Knight. Thinking about Witcher 3 or Mad Max, but I don't really care about story (so I'm afraid Witcher won't hold my attention) and am afraid Mad Max will just be an Ubisoft collectathon/towerathon. Suggestions?

Mad Max is very good, and for some reason very cheap for a relatively new AAA game, at least on PC. It is a collectaton only if you want it to, I finished the game at only 50% or so.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

1redflag posted:

Mad Max will just be an Ubisoft collectathon/towerathon. Suggestions?

That was my impression of it. Very repetitive, and I felt like it was way too easy. If you haven't played Shadows of Mordor, I suggest that. Though, to be fair, people thought Shadows of Mordor was also repetitive and too easy... but I felt like Mad Max was way worse in these regards. The only thing I liked about Mad Max was driving around the pretty environment.

Mad Max would have kicked rear end if it had the Nemesis system from Mordor. In fact many games would kick rear end if they had the Nemesis system from Mordor. So pissed nobody has copied that yet

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 13, 2016

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That was my impression of it. Very repetitive, and I felt like it was way too easy. If you haven't played Shadows of Mordor, I suggest that. Though, to be fair, people thought Shadows of Mordor was also repetitive and too easy... but I felt like Mad Max was way worse in these regards. The only thing I liked about Mad Max was driving around the pretty environment.

Mad Max would have kicked rear end if it had the Nemesis system from Mordor. In fact many games would kick rear end if they had the Nemesis system from Mordor. So pissed nobody has copied that yet

Yea, I played Shadows of Mordor about a year ago and really liked it. I also thought Batman: AK would have really benefited from the Nemesis system as well, which is really funny because all three are WB Games if I'm remembering correctly. Kind of tired of that fighting system too at the moment, another reason I am concerned about Mad Max.

Any other ideas? I like Metroidvanias, as well, and am open to indie titles; thought about getting Axiom Verge, but have heard I will only be disappointed.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I really enjoyed Mad Max, though I do agree every game, especially open world, should use the nemesis system, or at least take a lesson from it. So, Mad Max is my suggestion unless you haven't done Shadow of Mordor.

e: Axiom Verge is the best Metroidvania in quite a while, but it is as short as, say, Super Metroid, with a lot more words.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Looking for an open-world game I can kill time in.

After 150 hours of Dragon's Dogma and beating Bitterblack Isle (twice), I think I'm finally done with the game. Loved it. What are some other open-world games similar to this one that aren't Elder Scrolls? Basically I want a timesink I can play while I wait for No Man's Sky.

I love sandboxes and games where you can just kill time and gently caress around in, like Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim, but I already played the gently caress out of those. Especially if you can create/build your own character. I tried Dark Souls 2, and while I don't think "it was too hard for me" (it was pretty hard though) I just didn't really like it that much.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Daily Forecast posted:

Looking for an open-world game I can kill time in.

After 150 hours of Dragon's Dogma and beating Bitterblack Isle (twice), I think I'm finally done with the game. Loved it. What are some other open-world games similar to this one that aren't Elder Scrolls? Basically I want a timesink I can play while I wait for No Man's Sky.

I love sandboxes and games where you can just kill time and gently caress around in, like Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim, but I already played the gently caress out of those. Especially if you can create/build your own character. I tried Dark Souls 2, and while I don't think "it was too hard for me" (it was pretty hard though) I just didn't really like it that much.

Guild Wars 2 turned free to play a while ago, and it's the chillest of the MMOs. From the start, you can just go after whatever seems interesting at the time, and you'll get exp and things. No need to group up with people, it's fine playing alone.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
What's the spookiest game out there for ps4 or PC? I thought Until Dawn was just silly, I've played all the Amnesia games. I really liked Alien: Isolation. Graphics and modernity are not particularly important.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Samfucius posted:

What's the spookiest game out there for ps4 or PC? I thought Until Dawn was just silly, I've played all the Amnesia games. I really liked Alien: Isolation. Graphics and modernity are not particularly important.

Soma, maybe?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Oh yeah, forgot that existed. Anything else?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
In Quest for Glory 4, every character distrusts and dislikes the protagonist at the beginning of the game. Slowly, the other characters begun to trust and like him. I like this story element. You start off as a distrusted stranger and slowly earn a positive reputation(its like the opposite of Mass Effect.) Any other games with this story element?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

prometheusbound2 posted:

In Quest for Glory 4, every character distrusts and dislikes the protagonist at the beginning of the game. Slowly, the other characters begun to trust and like him. I like this story element. You start off as a distrusted stranger and slowly earn a positive reputation(its like the opposite of Mass Effect.) Any other games with this story element?

Dating simulators

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

StoryTime posted:

Guild Wars 2 turned free to play a while ago, and it's the chillest of the MMOs. From the start, you can just go after whatever seems interesting at the time, and you'll get exp and things. No need to group up with people, it's fine playing alone.

Seconding this. And just in case the MMO part turns you off, there is a fuckload of content and a massive, amazingly designed open world to explore and kill poo poo in before you even approach the repetitive grindy stuff (which is never needed at all for stats, only for pretty princess).

Can anyone recommend me a third-person action RPG with great combat for PC?

For reference, I have played and enjoyed: Dark Souls 1 & 2, Dragon's Dogma, Shadows of Mordor, all Witcher Games. Basically I'd like a big open world to explore and for it to be fun when I whack something with a sword. I enjoyed Skyrim and DA:I but I would say their combat is passable at best and not the point of the games.

If I had a console I'd be looking at Bloodborne, Monster Hunter, and God of War, but sadly I don't right now. It also doesn't bother me if it ditches RPG mechanics like stats and inventory and is just a fun third-person action game.

hampig fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 14, 2016

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

StoryTime posted:

Nice, I'll for sure give it a shot. Since it's an MMO I guess that's designed to take my time away, so there's that.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for the list of games earlier, I've looked them up and Rebel Galaxy seems like a good fit, and it was on sale on the PSN too, so I bought that. Shame about the story, and I realize now that there won't be any fleet flying because in Infinite Space there was no AI, so in essence I had one ship, just with varying stat modifiers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

1redflag posted:

Looking for a new game on PS4. I like platformers and action/adventure. Just finished The Last of Us and Batman: Arkham Knight. Thinking about Witcher 3 or Mad Max, but I don't really care about story (so I'm afraid Witcher won't hold my attention) and am afraid Mad Max will just be an Ubisoft collectathon/towerathon. Suggestions?

There's a remake of Ratchet and Clank due very soon, that might be up your alley.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Samfucius posted:

Oh yeah, forgot that existed. Anything else?

Layers of Fear has gotten a lot of praise.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

prometheusbound2 posted:

If you want something where each character's disposition towards the player actually mechanically influences the story, try Alpha Protocol or Consortium. Telltale adventure games also kinda do this, but to a much lesser degree.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What's the closest thing to Diablo 1 nowadays? I'd like an ARPG that isn't a rush to the endgame like division, destiny, d3, etc and has meaningful leveling throughout. It would also be nice to have meaningful loot and not a game where I'm replacing poo poo every 10 seconds because every weapon is the same except bigger numbers.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a remake of Ratchet and Clank due very soon, that might be up your alley.

This looks interesting; I skipped this series entirely when it came out on PS2/3, so this looks like a good way to dip my toes. Thanks!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

nachos posted:

What's the closest thing to Diablo 1 nowadays? I'd like an ARPG that isn't a rush to the endgame like division, destiny, d3, etc and has meaningful leveling throughout. It would also be nice to have meaningful loot and not a game where I'm replacing poo poo every 10 seconds because every weapon is the same except bigger numbers.

Grim Dawn

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

prometheusbound2 posted:

Final Fantasy 2/4 starts out with the main character disgraced and then unknowingly doing something really bad in a combination that makes most everyone dislike him for much of the game. Secret of Mana starts off with you getting exiled from your home village. Square likes that trope too, basically.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

prometheusbound2 posted:

Tales of the Abyss will be your favorite game ever, it is entirely about a protagonist reviled for what he is and you spend the entire game building trust.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

prometheusbound2 posted:

The recently released Stardew Valley is like this

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

As a kid I used to spend hours just doing free-flight in Pilotwings trying to land on monuments, loading up bots in Battlefield and then dicking off with a plane or helicopter, and loving around after unlocking airports in all the GTA games obviously. Are there are decent games (hopefully with nice graphics) for PC that let you just fly around? Hopefully with proper stunt planes and jets and such?
Simulators are too much, I'm looking for something mindless where the experience is more about dicking around in an environment and doing needlessly risky things that people in planes probably would not be advised to do, where the controls are "turn that way" and not adjusting flaps and throttles. Needs to have arcade controls with no flight joystick stuff necessary to just fly around and crash into cliffs with.

I've got Wings of Prey which was decent as an arcady combat simulator but their network DRM crap makes me not want to reinstall it. I'm not really interested in trying to get into multiplayer matches or anything either, just load game, fly around like an rear end in a top hat, probably crash into something. Really GTA would be perfect if it had a "get into a plane and gently caress around" mode that didn't require you to unlock an airport or run back to the airport every time you hosed up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tagra posted:

As a kid I used to spend hours just doing free-flight in Pilotwings trying to land on monuments, loading up bots in Battlefield and then dicking off with a plane or helicopter, and loving around after unlocking airports in all the GTA games obviously. Are there are decent games (hopefully with nice graphics) for PC that let you just fly around? Hopefully with proper stunt planes and jets and such?
Simulators are too much, I'm looking for something mindless where the experience is more about dicking around in an environment and doing needlessly risky things that people in planes probably would not be advised to do, where the controls are "turn that way" and not adjusting flaps and throttles. Needs to have arcade controls with no flight joystick stuff necessary to just fly around and crash into cliffs with.

I've got Wings of Prey which was decent as an arcady combat simulator but their network DRM crap makes me not want to reinstall it. I'm not really interested in trying to get into multiplayer matches or anything either, just load game, fly around like an rear end in a top hat, probably crash into something. Really GTA would be perfect if it had a "get into a plane and gently caress around" mode that didn't require you to unlock an airport or run back to the airport every time you hosed up.

Farcry 3/4 and Just Cause 3 aren't exactly what you're describing, but they're extremely close to the point where you could pretty much play them that way if you wanted to. Although with both you do have a teensy bit of unlocking to do first before you're given all the toys to play with.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I got an itch for a game that uses collection mechanics. Something that plays like the tabletop Warhammer 40K or a CCG. Anyone on the PC, 3DS, Wii U or iOS is fine.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I got an itch for a game that uses collection mechanics. Something that plays like the tabletop Warhammer 40K or a CCG. Anyone on the PC, 3DS, Wii U or iOS is fine.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for but look into Hand of Fate. You're going through a series of dungeon encounters built like a board game made out of cards. Completing a card's challenge unlocks new cards that could be challenges and equipment.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

BigRed0427 posted:

It's not a bad time to get into Hearthstone, since they're about to move to a standard format with rotation and a new expansion in the next 6 weeks. Play as casually or as serious as you like.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Zaphod42 posted:

Farcry 3/4 and Just Cause 3 aren't exactly what you're describing, but they're extremely close to the point where you could pretty much play them that way if you wanted to. Although with both you do have a teensy bit of unlocking to do first before you're given all the toys to play with.

I suppose you could add saints row to these as well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BigRed0427 posted:

Like hampig said if you're into a digital CCG then hearthstone is the way to go, I don't play much but its essentially digital magic the gathering and its very slick. The collecting is very strong.

If you're just down for anything with collection mechanics, I've been really into Blood Bowl lately. You manage a little roster of dudes and they level up and gain experience between games (either against players or AI) but they can also get injured or even die permanently. Its tabletop (and literally warhammer haha, although FB not 40K) and the collecting is a fun side to the game in addition to the main game.

Battlefleet Gothic is in early access and does a similar thing for tabletop spaceship battles instead of dice rolling warhammer football. You manage a fleet which levels up between matches, although since the game isn't finished there's not a ton of options at the moment.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

Like hampig said if you're into a digital CCG then hearthstone is the way to go, I don't play much but its essentially digital magic the gathering and its very slick. The collecting is very strong.

If you want literal Magic the Gathering you could play Magic Duels, the new(ish) free to play version of the Duels of the Planeswalkers games. The presentation and engine are abysmal compared to Hearthstone, though, so I wouldn't recommend it until you're already bored of that.

Honorable mention goes to Spellweaver which is a genuinely good card game that nobody plays. It's got the more complex, satisfying mechanics of a Magic the Gathering combined with the generous free to play and Arena mode of Hearthstone.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Card hunter got a steam release a few months back, is f2p and still loving fantastic

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

quadrophrenic posted:

Card hunter got a steam release a few months back, is f2p and still loving fantastic
I've been playing the single player stuff and I will be seriously loving miffed if Gary doesn't get some sort of proper comeuppance on his sperg-rear end shitlorde brother.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nordick posted:

I've been playing the single player stuff and I will be seriously loving miffed if Gary doesn't get some sort of proper comeuppance on his sperg-rear end shitlorde brother.

The comeuppance is getting a six figure tech job while his brother is delivering pizzas supporting 4 kids.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Looking for a fighting game with currency/unlockables like Smash Bros or Mortal Kombat X on either the Wii U, PS4 or PC. It may sound weird wanting a currency system but I like pretending I'm being rewarded for matches by earning currency to buy cosmetics or moves.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Leal posted:

Looking for a fighting game with currency/unlockables like Smash Bros or Mortal Kombat X on either the Wii U, PS4 or PC. It may sound weird wanting a currency system but I like pretending I'm being rewarded for matches by earning currency to buy cosmetics or moves.

You're in luck because that's every fighting game now. Street Fighter 5 has fight money but the store isn't implemented yet but will be soon. But getting a bit more outside of the box, both WWE2K16 and UFC2 has unlocking/progression mechanics, especially in the career modes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It goes back pretty far, actually. Mortal Kombat implemented Koins in Deadly Alliance, I believe, and I know Virtua Fighter 4 at the very least implemented a very robust cosmetic store. Maybe Soul Calibur has it as well?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Geektox posted:

You're in luck because that's every fighting game now. Street Fighter 5

SF5 did catch my eye, it actually led to me making my post. Didn't know there would be a shop that will be coming later, thanks.

al-azad posted:

Maybe Soul Calibur has it as well?

Was there ever made a game that had Soul Calibur 3's create a character system (in arcade fighting games) that didn't nuke your memory card?

Leal fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

My sister does not like giving her kids much video game time. Direct result - they're awful at games.

My father does not and has not ever played games. He's awful at games. He often has mentioned wanting to get decent at them to play with his grandkids, but he never really has.
My niece LOVES legend of zelda but she's not great at using the controller so usually I play while she watches.
My nephew loves pokemon and plays but he's not good at hitting the buttons while using the analog stick/dpad which makes it challenging for him to play any non-RPG games.

I wish to be able to get my father to become better at games, and likewise my neice/nephew.

They all get super frustrated and just getting used to the controller will be a bit of a challenge. I'm trying to think if there's any good options for them to start learning.

The only console available to my father is a PS3 that I bought him because at the time it was the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market. So PS1/3 games are what he's limited to.
The kids have access to a wii and to the PS3 when over at my parents house.

Any thoughts/suggestions on games to help ease them into becoming better at games in general?