Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ponzi posted:

After the Mystery of the Disappearing Chair, I wonder how well the next concept JPEG sale will go.

After all, surely even the most dense shitizen will be starting to wonder whether the ship they pre-ordered pledged for will actually resemble what they end up getting.

Of course, like everything else, CIG could just fudge the figures and claim it as a resounding success, in which case we'll never know.

I'd guess you'll see a lot of "You weren't buying a ship, you were pledging money to THE DREAM. The ship is just a thank you gift from our Lord Christ Roberts."

edit: New page, have a cat sitting on my jacket, wearing my hat and sniffing at her sister.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/J2fYl0D.gifv

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Best cat. Give me.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

my reaction when backing a project doesn't give u opinion :(

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

flyboi posted:

How is it that you can buy "all" ships for 15k and there are backers at over 30k? The whole concept of how they make money eludes me.

The Completionist pack doesn't even include all the ships you can buy. Because of course it doesn't. You'll want a science jpeg and the drink mixing space taxi and don't forget the space news van!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I say we do both.

Anyone else want to be in "The League of Laffs"? Be a part of the only known Comedic Cultists in the known universe! Only the funniest among us will be chosen and ascend to a higher plane. Congratulations on early placements: Toops, P-Gabz, Brazilianpeanutwar, and others!

I do!

But Church of The SubGenius beat you to the punchline by like 40 years, and then there's First Church of The Last Laugh (St Stupid's day approachith, for any Bay Area freaks...)

As a keen appreciator of sharp wit and wry cynicism, this thread and SA in general would make Bob proud though (I suspect there's some closet Subs' here, and think I caught an Arglebargle/Nuclear Platypus reference the other day too)... it's worth dunking your brain in if you haven't already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt9MP70ODNw The salvation triples every second!

http://www.subgenius.com/

http://www.saintstupid.com/event.html

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

People who don't get Derek should probably read this.

I cried

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ponzi posted:

After the Mystery of the Disappearing Chair, I wonder how well the next concept JPEG sale will go.
Just wait till we get to the Mystery of the Disappearing Chairman.

.wintermute
Feb 28, 2007

pk irl
When CIG inevitably fails, and is recorded as a complete failure in game history books, will there be another game to take first place over SC in in terms of money wasted and nothing delivered? Because 110M is a hell of a budget and you have to be complete imbecile not to produce something worthwhile with such sum of money.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I think it's weird (kinda going towards scammy) that the Completionist pack, is not a complete deal. This is irritating. At least that's how I see it.
And that's without looking at the price tag.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4a8o6w/will_cig_show_some_sq42_gameplay_during_the_e3/

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I think it's weird (kinda going towards scammy) that the Completionist pack, is not a complete deal. This is irritating. At least that's how I see it.
And that's without looking at the price tag.

If you give $10k or whatever you should get everything ever now and future

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Eonwe posted:

If you give $10k or whatever you should get everything ever now and future

So... nothing?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Do we have a list of handy youtube links and timestamps for each turn around from their original game designs and things like staff size at peak etc?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D1E posted:

So... nothing?

Yea

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

SelenicMartian posted:

Just wait till we get to the Mystery of the Disappearing Chairman.

I wonder what's in Crobizzle's go-bag.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Xaerael posted:

dreams.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Xaerael posted:

I'm guessing a black shirt.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Xaerael posted:

How much space does $5 million in small bills take up?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Consider that even long-ish games with a focused story like the Uncharted games can have their cutscenes condensed down to a 2.5 hour "movie" shows that SQ42 having a shooting script a significant amount longer than a feature film (which these days usually means 120 minutes or more) is a bad thing and a sign of an unchecked production that was probably bloated, over budget, over-scheduled and whatever else.

You have to remember a significant portion of any story game is still just gameplay and at best voice acting over top so if SQ42 is bloated with long cutscenes to pad out the shite gameplay or is somehow a 40 hour campaign then this isn't a good thing or something to use as a positive-spun excuse... it's just more proof how hosed even their cordoned off, super controllable singeplayer game is.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Xaerael posted:

Ben's cell number
The talisman he uses to protect against Sandi
A notebook with the name "Derek Smart" scribbled over and over on every page
A photo of Steven Spielberg's director's chair with Steven's name crossed out and Chris's written in
$110 million of other people's money

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

D1E posted:

How much space does $5 million in small bills take up?

5,646 litres.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sundowner posted:

Consider that even long-ish games with a focused story like the Uncharted games can have their cutscenes condensed down to a 2.5 hour "movie" shows that SQ42 having a shooting script a significant amount longer than a feature film (which these days usually means 120 minutes or more) is a bad thing and a sign of an unchecked production that was probably bloated, over budget, over-scheduled and whatever else.

You have to remember a significant portion of any story game is still just gameplay and at best voice acting over top so if SQ42 is bloated with long cutscenes to pad out the shite gameplay or is somehow a 40 hour campaign then this isn't a good thing or something to use as a positive-spun excuse... it's just more proof how hosed even their cordoned off, super controllable singeplayer game is.

Seems that Chris never got the memo that the gaming world moved on without him back in the 90s. Back then, there was a general belief in some circles, particularly with the advent of the storage afforded by CD-ROM media, that games and movies were reaching a point of convergence. Retrospectively hilarious, that belief spawned a number of poo poo titles that interspersed the world's worst cutscenes with hackneyed, uninspired gameplay in a bid to take advantage of this new emerging storytelling medium.

Those of us who haven't taken a two-decade sabbatical from the hobby know that gaming has matured since that time, and that the gameplay medium can serve up some excellent narratives without the need for Hollywood-style storytelling. Gaming has its own way of telling stories now, that stands alongside movies, television, and books as its own unique way of experiencing another world. There are talented developers all around the world successfully leveraging the new medium in creative, inspired ways to create unforgettable experiences. VR, now advanced enough to be a reasonable new aspect of gaming, promises to add to this experience, likely after some early missteps and growing pains.

Sadly, Chris Roberts either never paid attention to these lessons, or, more likely, is too stupid to comprehend them. Which means if SQ42 comes out, we will be treated to the same badly-directed cutscene pseudo-Hollywood bullshit the rest of the industry abandoned, with good reason, over a decade ago. As the icing on the cake, it will be written and directed by a bona fide moron - a developmentally-disabled manchild who was elevated by equally damaged backers to a position of untouchable authority. There will be no editor saving the game, nobody to fix the script, nobody to fix the game. We're gonna get 100% unadulterated Chris Roberts, which means we're gonna get 100% pure poo poo.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
You make it sound like the next Neverending Story 3 of videogames.

Which it very well may be (assuming it ever actually comes out that is olol).

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

As the icing on the cake, it will be written and directed by a bona fide moron - a developmentally-disabled manchild who was elevated by equally damaged backers to a position of untouchable authority.

This is a beautiful sentence.

SgtArseCandle
Sep 28, 2009

Xaerael posted:

It contains his new ground breaking game, Genital Jousting:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

Seems that Chris never got the memo that the gaming world moved on without him back in the 90s. Back then, there was a general belief in some circles, particularly with the advent of the storage afforded by CD-ROM media, that games and movies were reaching a point of convergence. Retrospectively hilarious, that belief spawned a number of poo poo titles that interspersed the world's worst cutscenes with hackneyed, uninspired gameplay in a bid to take advantage of this new emerging storytelling medium.

Those of us who haven't taken a two-decade sabbatical from the hobby know that gaming has matured since that time, and that the gameplay medium can serve up some excellent narratives without the need for Hollywood-style storytelling. Gaming has its own way of telling stories now, that stands alongside movies, television, and books as its own unique way of experiencing another world. There are talented developers all around the world successfully leveraging the new medium in creative, inspired ways to create unforgettable experiences. VR, now advanced enough to be a reasonable new aspect of gaming, promises to add to this experience, likely after some early missteps and growing pains.

Sadly, Chris Roberts either never paid attention to these lessons, or, more likely, is too stupid to comprehend them. Which means if SQ42 comes out, we will be treated to the same badly-directed cutscene pseudo-Hollywood bullshit the rest of the industry abandoned, with good reason, over a decade ago. As the icing on the cake, it will be written and directed by a bona fide moron - a developmentally-disabled manchild who was elevated by equally damaged backers to a position of untouchable authority. There will be no editor saving the game, nobody to fix the script, nobody to fix the game. We're gonna get 100% unadulterated Chris Roberts, which means we're gonna get 100% pure poo poo.

Not only that, but there's a whole science behind games as a psychological/human factors-based product. For example, the Call of Duty "twibt" little X hit indicator is, in my mind, one of the contributing factors of why those games are so popular. It's a sort of familiar sound across the whole franchise that gives a sort of sublime gratification whenever you hear it like some sort of lab-rat experiment. Think about all the games with tight menus that have strangely soothing sounds when you select buttons- there's a reason why they're so satisfying and make the game SEEM so much more enjoyable to play.

Where at in SC has any thought been put into human factors re: their menus/UI/sound design? When I first heard the sound the chose for the hit indicators in AC I was kind of taken aback, it's an outright offensively unpleasant noise when you hit other ships. Games are inherently a sort of brain-drug and should make you feel good when you play them- but nowhere in SC do you feel anything other than the worst kind of electricity.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Scruffpuff posted:

And just to add to the whole mosaic of how stupid this all is, and how accurate this observation is... consider how big of a deal they've made of the actors involved in SQ42.

BOYS WE GOT GARY OLDMAN!

Gary Oldman was in a Call of Duty game and I can't recall anyone in that production ever making a big deal about that. In fact, I remember there was a brief period where people were like "Wait, that was Gary Oldman?" so even the most "WE WANT TO BE A BLOCKBUSTER" of blockbuster video games still knew how to wrestle that dynamic into an actual decent video game rather than Chris Roberts Wacky Wing Commander brand of "film meets video game". The fact that they're name dropping like it is a Hollywood film is sad because it shows, blatantly, how dated his design mentality is or if he's aware of it it shows how hard-headed he is about ~his dream~ for SC.

The Call of Duty guys managed to use a great actor as a performer. Chris Roberts is using him to give his filmgame gravitas.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 13, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

CrazyLoon posted:

You make it sound like the next Neverending Story 3 of videogames.

Which it very well may be (assuming it ever actually comes out that is olol).

It's going to be worse than anyone thinks, except those people at CIG who've seen it. You'll know which people those are if you meet the staff - they're the ones with the thousand-yard stare. Did you ever see the Twilight Zone episode (the original series had it, and it was one of the stories in the movie) with the little kid with godlike powers who was holding his family hostage? That family is CIG. Chris is a juggernaut of poo poo - the only options are to get out of the way, or get covered in it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

There will be no editor saving the game, nobody to fix the script, nobody to fix the game. We're gonna get 100% unadulterated Chris Roberts, which means we're gonna get 100% pure poo poo.

Does make you wonder what the Diector's Cut of Wing Commander would have included.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

i have to confess i have posted in other threads

is this how leavers feel-

like true scum?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Justin Tyme posted:

Not only that, but there's a whole science behind games as a psychological/human factors-based product. For example, the Call of Duty "twibt" little X hit indicator is, in my mind, one of the contributing factors of why those games are so popular. It's a sort of familiar sound across the whole franchise that gives a sort of sublime gratification whenever you hear it like some sort of lab-rat experiment. Think about all the games with tight menus that have strangely soothing sounds when you select buttons- there's a reason why they're so satisfying and make the game SEEM so much more enjoyable to play.

Where at in SC has any thought been put into human factors re: their menus/UI/sound design? When I first heard the sound the chose for the hit indicators in AC I was kind of taken aback, it's an outright offensively unpleasant noise when you hit other ships. Games are inherently a sort of brain-drug and should make you feel good when you play them- but nowhere in SC do you feel anything other than the worst kind of electricity.

Those are DIRTY TRICKS used by EVIL PUBLISHERS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sundowner posted:

And just to add to the whole mosaic of how stupid this all is, and how accurate this observation is... consider how big of a deal they've made of the actors involved in SQ42.

BOYS WE GOT GARY OLDMAN!

Gary Oldman was in a Call of Duty game and I can't recall anyone in that production ever making a big deal about that. In fact, I remember there was a brief period where people were like "Wait, that was Gary Oldman?" so even the most "WE WANT TO BE A BLOCKBUSTER" of blockbuster video games still knew how to wrestle that dynamic into an actual decent video game rather than Chris Roberts Wacky Wing Commander brand of "film meets video game". The fact that they're name dropping like it is a Hollywood film is sad because it shows, blatantly, how dated his design mentality is or if he's aware of it it shows how hard-headed he is about ~his dream~ for SC.

The Call of Duty guys managed to use a great actor as a performer. Chris Roberts is using him to give his filmgame gravitas.

yea but he has GARY OLDMAN and SANDI GARDINER

you just cant get that kind of starpower in CoD. the best they did was just gary

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

you just cant get that kind of starpower in CoD. the best they did was just gary

They did get actual war criminal Ollie north in cod though!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sundowner posted:

The fact that they're name dropping like it is a Hollywood film is sad because it shows, blatantly, how dated his design mentality is or if he's aware of it it shows how hard-headed he is about ~his dream~ for SC.

This is a very good observation, and I will add this to it: even Hollywood has toyed around with abandoning the "actor sells film" premise. If you look at old movie posters from the 50s through 70s, you'd see a lot of movies where they'd show all the A-List actors in the film in little boxes along the bottom of the poster (some have called these "Box Pictures") and it was a standard way of legitimizing your film. It was mostly used by directors who couldn't use their own name to draw crowds (like Hitchcock could, for example), and so relied on the talent. It made sense for the time. Interestingly, today, if an unestablished movie director can't sell the film using his own name recognition, even if they have an A-list actor, they'll usually still focus on the film's story instead. A stylistic poster, a unique trailer, any number of things to draw you into the story. Shoehorning in the actor's name to attempt to lend credence to the film comes across as weak, particularly in this age of social media where any number of talented, first-time actors have made names for themselves with top-notch performances that come out of the blue. Audiences are more open to new talent than they've ever been.

Never mind all that: FEATURING: GARY loving OLDMAN YOU GUYS!!!

So not only did Chris Roberts fail to learn any of the lessons in gaming history, he's also been mentally checked-out when it comes to the lessons Hollywood has learned as well. He's a retard trapped in time.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I know you were joking, but sadly Sandi is actually a draw for some of those sperglords.

Think weirdos like Fuzzy Modem.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

This is a very good observation, and I will add this to it: even Hollywood has toyed around with abandoning the "actor sells film" premise. If you look at old movie posters from the 50s through 70s, you'd see a lot of movies where they'd show all the A-List actors in the film in little boxes along the bottom of the poster (some have called these "Box Pictures") and it was a standard way of legitimizing your film. It was mostly used by directors who couldn't use their own name to draw crowds (like Hitchcock could, for example), and so relied on the talent. It made sense for the time. Interestingly, today, if an unestablished movie director can't sell the film using his own name recognition, even if they have an A-list actor, they'll usually still focus on the film's story instead. A stylistic poster, a unique trailer, any number of things to draw you into the story. Shoehorning in the actor's name to attempt to lend credence to the film comes across as weak, particularly in this age of social media where any number of talented, first-time actors have made names for themselves with top-notch performances that come out of the blue. Audiences are more open to new talent than they've ever been.

Never mind all that: FEATURING: GARY loving OLDMAN YOU GUYS!!!

So not only did Chris Roberts fail to learn any of the lessons in gaming history, he's also been mentally checked-out when it comes to the lessons Hollywood has learned as well. He's a retard trapped in time.

Hell, just look at After Earth. Will Smith- highest paid actor in Hollywood- can't even make his lovely Scientology vehicle film for his son do well.

Does anyone really expect the actors in S42 to be anything other than themselves? When Kiefer Sutherland did Snake in MGSV, he WAS Snake. Not once did I ever think that it was Kiefer Sutherland running around in Afghanistan.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Justin Tyme posted:

Hell, just look at After Earth. Will Smith- highest paid actor in Hollywood- can't even make his lovely Scientology vehicle film for his son do well.

Does anyone really expect the actors in S42 to be anything other than themselves? When Kiefer Sutherland did Snake in MGSV, he WAS Snake. Not once did I ever think that it was Kiefer Sutherland running around in Afghanistan.

Another good example of using a well respected actor as a performer rather than a selling point and that is muddled in one of the most prone-to-nerds-dying-over voice actor changes in history. It's a simple thing that can really tell a lot about games that angle themselves in the more cinematic realm.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Derek I have a few suggestions in bold to make things more user friendly for those who have played your previous games.

0) Take a few days off of work to RTFM
1) Start game
2) Press ALT+L to Login to game
3) Select a deployment region (depending on your account type)
4) Locate supply platform. Press F12 to access MCON and then press CTRL+M to open map display (they are indicated on the mini and main maps)
5) Select a fighter and assign flight crew to prepare fighter for takeoff in DSTAT interface (accessible under FMAN (ALT+F5) while operating HNAV station (F11))
6) Launcher (CTRL+ALT+HOME+F13) answer 'Yes' when prompted(ALT+Y)

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

If my CEO decides, for some reason, that he wants to cast Gary Oldman in a 3-second commercial, in the end that decision is going to come down to money. If he wants to pay 5 million dollars for that, more power to him. If he does so, and asks me to "direct", because why the gently caress not, that does not mean that I get to parade around the world claiming "I directed Gary Oldman!" Yet that's precisely what Chris is thinking. He didn't cast those people because he wanted to make a high-quality game, or for any of his backers - he did it for two reasons:

1) To fulfill his fantasy of being a "real" director
2) To get his wife "acting" alongside real actors

He failed on both counts. No matter who you "direct", Chris, you will always suck. Your wife is not, has never been, and will never be, an actress. You lose.

In fact, it's worse than that. Using my aforementioned hypothetical commercial, if I have a famous actor with tons of experience, I'm not going to do much as a director. I trust they know enough to make an excellent appearance, so the less I meddle, the better the quality is likely to be. Now look at the "performance" Chris got from Gary as Admiral Bishop. It's an awful performance. Think of this - Chris doesn't just have no talent - he has negative talent. He wrung a bad performance from a good actor. That's taking failure to a whole new level. That's like having over $100 million dollars and some of the best talent in the world across several countries and still not being able to make a working tech demo.

• Locked thread