Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

It also just makes practical sense. If you're desirable enough as an employer to be competing for only the best potential hires, why bother sifting through a huge number of potential applicants when you can just recruit graduates who will definitely want the job from the "best" schools? There's nothing particularly bad about doing this, it's just that the effect it ultimately has on the rest of the labor pool is horrible.

Two things:

1) CV screen - Is an average Harvard graduate really better than a top Pitt graduate? I come from a target school so I can't complain personally but I think the monoculture of backgrounds at a place like a Goldman or McKinsey or Google is a) incredibly boring and b) arguably impedes work (some interesting work on org. behavior)

2) Interview process - Most of these firms have a structured 4-5 round quant/fit interview process. You get a lot of resources (alum practice interviews, interview consultants, peer practice) at target schools that drill you that kids at normal-tier schools don't get access to. I've been on both ends (interviewer/interviewee) and my sense is that mastery of this process doesn't really say anything about how effective you are at the job.

There's nothing wrong with having arbitrary recruitment hurdles to filter candidates. I'm just not sure if you actually end up with an hiring pool that's objectively "good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

You people really need to stop talking about literally the biggest, most desirable tech companies in the world as if they're representative of anything. Even SV pay scales aren't representative of the industry as a whole. $60k/year is pretty close to the nationwide median salary for software developers so, no, companies don't "universally" pay their interns that much.

Yeah, this. I made $65k as a mid-career programmer in Michigan. All the world is not Silicon Valley.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The truth is that it is not that hard to train someone with some programming proficiency to be a reasonable programmer for your team, so any tool reducing the amount of applicants you need to pay attention to, including screening by school, or just throwing away 90% of applications at random, is probably going to help with your hiring process just in terms of shortening it.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
The idea that winnowing candidates by haphazard measures is fine, the results are good enough and doing things differently would be too much effort kind of undermines the idea that these companies require and are fiercely competing for the absolute best and brightest

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

joe football posted:

The idea that winnowing candidates by haphazard measures is fine, the results are good enough and doing things differently would be too much effort kind of undermines the idea that these companies require and are fiercely competing for the absolute best and brightest

At the undergrad level, there's not much to designate the "best and brightest" except undergrad rank and prestige.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

joe football posted:

Yes. As far as the entry level goes "best and brightest" is bullshit, because the only real way to judge how well someone does a job is have them do this job.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have a STEM degree from last year and the interview for the job I have now was "You live up the street? gently caress it, you're hired."

YMMV

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yes. As far as the entry level goes "best and brightest" is bullshit, because the only real way to judge how well someone does a job is have them do this job.

This. You can filter for assholes to some degree though.

The company I work for has a strict 'no assholes' hiring policy that actually works. And it's great. Every company should have such a policy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This. You can filter for assholes to some degree though.

The company I work for has a strict 'no assholes' hiring policy that actually works. And it's great. Every company should have such a policy.

What rear end in a top hat metric do they use?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's mainly having a realistic self image and being able to take criticism.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

joe football posted:

I'm actually not sure where you think the inconsistency is here. There is a very real and significant monetary and time cost associated with giving technical interviews for candidates. As a senior IC, I'm expected to do 2-3 interviews per week on average, plus the time it takes to write up my feedback and sit through the debrief for candidates with sufficiently good feedback. This represents over 5% of the week for me, to say nothing of roles like sourcers, recruiters, etc. I've also done over 100 technical interviews in the last couple of years and a disturbingly large number of those have been with candidates not even close to meeting the hiring bar.

Our offer rate is well, well below 10% among those who even make it to a phone/VC screen so it's not like there's much value in widening the top of the funnel. In general recruiting shouldn't be aiming to capture literally all good candidates (as there are massive diminishing returns associated with that) but to optimize the ratio of quality candidates converted to amounts of money and time spent doing so (while meeting your hiring targets).

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Which planet are you from? Even the best colleges require students to take out loans, and don't allow them to live at home. Kids who graduate from the best colleges on financial aid graduate hundreds of thousands in debt. In any case, there are a lot of personal circumstances that don't let students go to target schools even if they get in. Family responsibilities (to parents, not just to children). Ability to live at home (free) versus paying for dormitories and food service. Ability to stretch out degree over multiple years so you can earn money in the off-terms. Your guidance counselor never even mentioning that your GPA/SATs/student history would qualify you to apply to a target school.

There is a social divide going on here, not just an intelligence divide. Upper-class kids have family connections that can help pull them into big-name schools. Upper-class kids' parents can afford to pay for coaches to help them with tests, and with admissions. Upper-class kids can afford the music lessons, dance lessons, sports coaches, ... that demonstrate "well rounded" applicants. Upper-class kids' parents don't depend on their kids' incomes, so that the kids can spend summer vacations and so on volunteering in Haiti.

FWIW I went to a top 20 (not top 10) public school in North America for grad school, turned down one of the best schools in the world for undergrad to attend a no-name school that offered me a lot of scholarship money, and my parents were thoroughly middle-class growing up. I work with a lot of coworkers who didn't go to top schools either, including people at the director/VP level and above. Tech is much less picky about 'pedigree' than, say, finance.

Internships are definitely the best way to get a new grad job, and they do give a pretty big advantage to target schools (which are not quite the same as the most elite schools -- for example the University of Waterloo probably has more interns at top companies at any given time than any school in the US does). Internships at good companies also pay so well right now that they actually reduce the barriers to entry in tech in many regards (i.e., doing 3-4 internships can pay for all or most of your undergrad education).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Paradoxish posted:

Not really. They're saying that they can still find enough qualified hires even if they limit their pool to top universities only. I'm not familiar enough with Google's hiring process to say this for sure, but I assume they literally don't just look at top schools and offer jobs to every single graduate with the right degree. It's perfectly fine as a hiring practice even if you assume that the distribution of talented graduates is identical at all schools.
I think that is pretty much it. If every new graduate in that field wants to work at Google, then Google can just say gently caress it and only recruit graduates from 10-20 select campuses. They do still interview them obviously, but the top grads from those select schools can be highly sought after by the most prestigious companies.

Of course all of this is somewhat irrelevant as Google/Facebook etc are not going to be the ones who suffer when the bubble finally pops (at least not compared to the 10k startups that have a questionable concept, no profit in sight and are burning millions a year in VC funding).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
15-ish years ago I heard pretty consistently (when people were speaking frankly at least) stuff along the lines of "a great programmer is worth a LOT more than a good one". That is probably a little less true now, though I'm not super confident in that, it's just a sense that it's easier to make something slick with existing tools and libraries etc. than it used to be. I'm not a developer I just tell every recruiter and headhunter to stop showing me dev. jobs which they blithely ignore.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A great programmer is still worth a lot more than a good one, but a good programmer can get a lot more done than they could 15 years ago.

(Neither Google nor Facebook have hard-line lists of colleges from which they'll accept applicants for internships or new grad positions, though both of them only do outreach recruiting at a finite set of schools.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pangstrom posted:

15-ish years ago I heard pretty consistently (when people were speaking frankly at least) stuff along the lines of "a great programmer is worth a LOT more than a good one". That is probably a little less true now, though I'm not super confident in that, it's just a sense that it's easier to make something slick with existing tools and libraries etc. than it used to be. I'm not a developer I just tell every recruiter and headhunter to stop showing me dev. jobs which they blithely ignore.

Like I said earlier, it's probably more that people realize that "rockstar programmers" don't actually do that much on their own.

It's like they hammer into us in engineering - a decent engineer with great people skills will do orders of magnitude better than an exceptional engineer with no people skills. This is because most work is team oriented.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

It's like they hammer into us in engineering - a decent engineer with great people skills will do orders of magnitude better than an exceptional engineer with no people skills. This is because most work is team oriented.

Also, 50% (arbitrary) of any given engineering project is convincing the people controlling the checkbook to get out their pens. That's another place where having 'people' skills is essential.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

shrike82 posted:

1) CV screen - Is an average Harvard graduate really better than a top Pitt graduate? I come from a target school so I can't complain personally but I think the monoculture of backgrounds at a place like a Goldman or McKinsey or Google is a) incredibly boring and b) arguably impedes work (some interesting work on org. behavior)
At least at the IC level, I don't think Google is that much of a monoculture. The target school thing mainly applies to internships/new grads (and I don't think it's as strict as people are implying here); experienced hires can come from all over, and at least my team has a LOT of people from acquired startups. At one point I think like half or more of the people I was working with had come through that way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

computer parts posted:

Like I said earlier, it's probably more that people realize that "rockstar programmers" don't actually do that much on their own.

An exceptional engineer is very likely one with effective people skills in one form or another (even if they aren't necessarily pleasant).

Has your experience with your co-workers supported your school's lesson that there isn't significant variation in technical effectiveness? I've worked with one of the most famous rockstar programmers in the world, and he is definitely several standard deviations away from his peers in the breadth and depth of his capabilities and his ability to deliver great stuff with little support. Talking to others who worked with him decades previously, it is not solely a function of experience.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Subjunctive posted:

An exceptional engineer is very likely one with effective people skills in one form or another (even if they aren't necessarily pleasant).

Under a different definition of "exceptional".

In fact, you then contradict this definition in your next paragraph, by saying that some people are so awesome that they don't need to work with others.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

computer parts posted:

In fact, you then contradict this definition in your next paragraph, by saying that some people are so awesome that they don't need to work with others.

Just because you don't need it doesn't mean you don't have it...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hughlander posted:

Just because you don't need it doesn't mean you don't have it...

Then how do you accurately determine that you don't need it?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

FWIW the 3 year minimum experience for every entry level position is often not true at all and shouldn't discourage you from applying to a company.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

computer parts posted:

His people skills are fine (though his reputation is for being somewhat antisocial; I never really saw it), but he is also massively more capable technically than his peers. He can motivate others, negotiate with people, be a liaison to partner companies, speak publicly, all that. But he can also as an individual perform feats of technical creation that are pretty stunning. It is not unusual to find that he has advanced the state of the art when he takes on a problem. He can absolutely "do that much on [his] own", and he's pretty much the poster child for "rockstar programmer".

You left my question unanswered: have you in your professional experience not seen meaningful variance in the effectiveness of different programmers working largely independently?

computer parts posted:

Then how do you accurately determine that you don't need it?

Because you're incredibly effective when working on a problem on your own?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Subjunctive posted:

His people skills are fine (though his reputation is for being somewhat antisocial; I never really saw it), but he is also massively more capable technically than his peers. He can motivate others, negotiate with people, be a liaison to partner companies, speak publicly, all that. But he can also as an individual perform feats of technical creation that are pretty stunning. It is not unusual to find that he has advanced the state of the art when he takes on a problem. He can absolutely "do that much on [his] own", and he's pretty much the poster child for "rockstar programmer".

Then you found a literal unicorn, congratulations. In general, teamwork is a skill that must be honed as much as any skill, and many technical people do not see the value in it (at least historically). They suffer, even if individually they're all rockstars.

This isn't even specific to technical fields - in sports you can have lots of high talented people that still fail against less talented teams because they don't work together.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

computer parts posted:

Then you found a literal unicorn, congratulations.

Are you just not going to answer the question about what you've observed about the variance of programmer effectiveness on individual tasks?

(Yes, he is a unicorn.)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

on the left posted:

Why are sob stories relevant to corporate recruiting? There are plenty of poor people that do manage to get into these schools and do well. Maybe these costs mean that students on the margins won't get be able to go, but most top universities have stellar financial aid.

Bullshit. Most poor people can't even get into college due to their situations. From the rung of the ladder I started on I got extraordinarily lucky to get in at all. The only way I could do it was to take a mountain of debt even though I went to a public school. Now that college is becoming increasingly profit-driven it's just getting more and more expensive every year. Yeah, some poor folks get to go to good schools but they're the exception rather than the rule. To many, many poor folks "get a college degree" is an insurmountable obstacle.

Poor kids also may not have easy access to SAT prep or a non-lovely high school in the first place which just further reduces their potential to go to college.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Bullshit. Most poor people can't even get into college due to their situations.

Something like 80% of schools in the USA are enrollment driven, meaning they are not selective at all and live or die by sales. Also, pretty much every state has a good public university with a program that automatically admits you if you can get decent grades at a community college for 1/2 years

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Oh, well if it's so easy then I guess poor kids not going to college is really their fault entirely when you think about it. Perhaps they should find a pair of bootstraps with which to pull themselves up.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

ohgodwhat posted:

Oh, well if it's so easy then I guess poor kids not going to college is really their fault entirely when you think about it. Perhaps they should find a pair of bootstraps with which to pull themselves up.

Yes, pretty much. Lots of poor kids get the grades and test scores necessary to go to top schools and do so. Sorry that middling IQ underachievers from poor families can't go to Tufts like middling IQ underachievers from rich families can.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Then the question for a poor kid is, OK great, you got through college! Now what?

One thing that so many non-poor people take for granted is having a place to crash if you don't find a job right away or being able to move a long distance to accept a job. If you can leave all your stuff at your parents place and get them to help you pay for the move you have something the poor kids don't. Not everybody has parents that can let you crash there for nine months while you job hunt. Being poor has some harsh realities that non-poor people don't even know exist.

"Well just move to the bay area!" Yeah, good luck with that if you're 2,500 miles away and only have $75.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

FWIW the 3 year minimum experience for every entry level position is often not true at all and shouldn't discourage you from applying to a company.

Exactly. If you are fully qualified for a job, you will be bored. If in the long list of qualifications you are at least 50% of the way there, you should be fine.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Subjunctive posted:

A great programmer is still worth a lot more than a good one, but a good programmer can get a lot more done than they could 15 years ago.

(Neither Google nor Facebook have hard-line lists of colleges from which they'll accept applicants for internships or new grad positions, though both of them only do outreach recruiting at a finite set of schools.)

Which, to be fair, is functionally identical to a set of hard-line lists. There's a reason we in HR call applicant tracking systems 'post and pray'. There is just way too much noise in these systems at large companies to make finding a 'qualified' candidate worth it. I don't work for Google or Facebook but it's a fairly well known tech company and that's how it works here, I would be rather surprised if Google or FB actually have a better ATS than the industry norm.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

on the left posted:

Yes, pretty much. Lots of poor kids get the grades and test scores necessary to go to top schools and do so. Sorry that middling IQ underachievers from poor families can't go to Tufts like middling IQ underachievers from rich families can.

Lol, yeah what the gently caress, that starving kid from a broken home is just an underachiever when he doesn't turn in his homework because his mother sold his textbook for drugs. :rolleyes:

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then the question for a poor kid is, OK great, you got through college! Now what?

One thing that so many non-poor people take for granted is having a place to crash if you don't find a job right away or being able to move a long distance to accept a job. If you can leave all your stuff at your parents place and get them to help you pay for the move you have something the poor kids don't. Not everybody has parents that can let you crash there for nine months while you job hunt. Being poor has some harsh realities that non-poor people don't even know exist.

"Well just move to the bay area!" Yeah, good luck with that if you're 2,500 miles away and only have $75.

Paying for moving costs yeah, your parents letting you stay while you job hunt or whatever isn't really a function of class though (maybe you're expected to working part/full time at some lovely job for rent depending). It's also pretty common that you don't need to live in the area at all to apply for jobs there.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Then why the hell is it included? Because I see it with paralegal/legal assistant positions too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Spacewolf posted:

Then why the hell is it included? Because I see it with paralegal/legal assistant positions too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G3kQyqMFpQ

Eli the Computer Guy explains it pretty well.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Spacewolf posted:

Because most companies are absolutely terrible at talent sourcing and staffing. HR has little to no control over the procedures and policies that they are told to execute in most companies. Liz Ryan and Lou Adler are worth reading about this.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Recruiting is actually a pretty exciting field ripe for disruption. There're a bunch of start-ups applying data mining and analytic techniques on topics ranging from candidate scoring to talent management. And firms are willing to pay given the amount of money they throw at recruitment e.g., you're paying 40-50 grand to a head-hunter for a successful conversion etc.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I like the job descriptions for mid+ level positions that are full of misspellings and bad grammar. I mean it doesn't stop me from applying if I would otherwise but it always makes me smile. Yes you would like to hire a "consumate professional".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Spacewolf posted:

"Entry level position" refers to how much they're willing to pay you.