Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Certainly! I'm no expert though; I bought it off someone who builds them for a hobby and beer money.

It's a reasonable quality mountain bike obviously, you add on a 750W mid-drive motor (Bafang BBS02) and drive it with two sets of hobby LiPos, one in each pannier.

The replacement crank is a ratchet/freewheel mechanism (not sure on the exact terminology here) so the motor can drive the chain without you having to pedal. You can use it in pedal assist mode and/or just push down the throttle with a control on the handlebars.

The benefit of the mid-drive setup is that you can take advantage of your geartrain for going up hills etc.

There's a LCD up front with speedo/odo/charge and power assist setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Tyro posted:

There was an electric motorcycle thread that also included ebike chat but it closed a while ago. I've been toying around with the idea of building an ebike just for fun, got any details on yours?
I got a wheel kit to make a low-end ebike out of a used beach cruiser. When you push the button and don't pedal it goes about 10mph on road, but it's powering the front wheel, so you can pedal as well to go faster. (Unfortunately, the cheap base bike doesn't have a high enough gear to really take full advantage of the assist to go fast.)

With the cheaper battery pack it has about a 10 mile range (without pedaling). The sellers claims 8. On a full charge, with mild pedaling, it approximately gets me to and from work, 7.5 miles each way mostly on rough trail. The better battery that I didn't get apparently more than doubles the range.

It's pretty drat decent though for a $70 bike and I think it was about $400 for the wheel-and-battery (seems to be $500 now).

I recently had a trial run of one of the $4000 all-in-one ebikes, and for my particular commute (which goes on dirt trails) it was a horrible experience compared to my makeshift thing. The power all going to the back wheel makes for more loss of control when a stone shifts under you, the suspension was not up to a rough trail in the first place, and the bike is super heavy. For the part on-road it was a decent bit faster, but even there it was super uncomfortable - the lack of suspension made it jarring in the wrists on anything but the smoothest road.

This is the thing I got, I've had it for over a year now with no problems - http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/hill-topper.aspx

The one thing I don't like about it is that the power button is a small microswitch that you have to hold for power. Holding a microswitch with your thumb for most of half an hour, pressing against a handlebar on rough terrain, is not very comfortable (and leaves an imprint on your thumb). But I didn't dislike it quite enough to bother replacing the switch with something better, so it can't be that bad.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Almost bought a volt tonight,but the dealer was to sticky on the price and :wtf: no spare tire?

Do all volt owners really run around with no spare, because that seems a absolutely crazy to me.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 13, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

blugu64 posted:

Almost bought a volt tonight,but the dealer was to sticky on the price and :wtf: no spare tire?

Do all volt owners really run around with no spare, because that seems a absolutely crazy to me.

Yup. Had a flat from a fist-sized chunk of metal in the first month of ownership, too. No problems since then.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My grandmother's Mini has no spare tire -- just run-flats, a 12v tire pump and a can of Official BMW Slime.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve had more unrepairable flats than repairable ones, let alone flats that could be fixed with goop.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I've read that, for the Leaf, the goop destroys your TPMS and needs replacing, making it more expensive than just getting AAA.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

blugu64 posted:

Most cars are skipping the spare these days. Its 30 pounds of weight they can ditch to try and squeek by on cafe a little more.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ilkhan posted:

Most cars are skipping the spare these days. Its 30 pounds of weight they can ditch to try and squeek by on cafe a little more.

I dont know if id say Most.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Don Lapre posted:

I dont know if id say Most.
Fine. "Many". My point stands.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah, plenty of cars these days don't include a spare - even a space saver; it's not just the weight but also packaging (it's a bunch of space that could be useful for something else - even if it's just a couple extra cu ft to brag about in cargo space). We just bought a Leaf to replace my wife's Civic - one of the (only) good things about the Leaf having such a limited range is that if she does happen to get a busted tire, well... it's not like she's going to be very far from me, my Subaru and a tire shop.

Good to know about the TPMS sensor getting destroyed by the gak - I'm almost tempted to throw that poo poo in the trash right now.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

sarcastx posted:

Yeah, plenty of cars these days don't include a spare - even a space saver; it's not just the weight but also packaging (it's a bunch of space that could be useful for something else - even if it's just a couple extra cu ft to brag about in cargo space). We just bought a Leaf to replace my wife's Civic - one of the (only) good things about the Leaf having such a limited range is that if she does happen to get a busted tire, well... it's not like she's going to be very far from me, my Subaru and a tire shop.

Good to know about the TPMS sensor getting destroyed by the gak - I'm almost tempted to throw that poo poo in the trash right now.

TPMS sensors are cheap, and the gak might be able to get the wife to an important meeting on time

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
TPMS sensors run from about $10 to over 100 apiece, so maybe they're cheap.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Not all TPMS sensors are in the tire, and not all in-tire sensors will be harmed by fix-a-flat or other similar products. Best to check with the manufacturer for your specific make/model.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Godholio posted:

TPMS sensors run from about $10 to over 100 apiece, so maybe they're cheap.

Plus there's the matter of linking the new one to your car's computer.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I feel like anyplace that charges more than :10bux: to reprogram a TPMS is probably ripping you off. Once the sensor is installed, it takes 2-3 minutes to walk around the car with a scan tool and write the IDs to the ECM. And I want to say the universal Schrader sensors are $35 or so.

If people are buying the sensor from me, I normally don't even charge them the $5 we're supposed to charge for installation, I just write it up as a free flat repair and blame the sensor for the leak. But that's big-chain life, and if you've got a reputation for coming in and being a dick I charge the $5 just for spite.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Most place charge $80+ to scan DTCs. Actually programming something? That's gonna cost you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Re: earlier conversation about camera visibility in inclement weather. It was raining here today, and I noted that Autopilot wasn't having any trouble, so I thought to look up and sure enough: the camera within the wiper-blade range, as you would expect if someone had thought for even 5 minutes about the problem while designing the car. I don't know why I thought otherwise earlier.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cockmaster posted:

Plus there's the matter of linking the new one to your car's computer.

At least on my Focus, this is extremely easy to do without any specialized tools.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's such a pain on Jeeps that people line up to pay $150 to buy an AEV Procal and just disable the system.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Every mechanic I've spoken to about my WRX seems to think it is difficult. I've heard on some brands you need their specific "device" to do the programming. But I know nothing about cars, so maybe that's all bullshit.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I went and test drove an Audi etron today. Was fairly comfortable, and wasn't noisy on regen like the hybrid highlander.
Had lots of modes you could choose, and I thought it was great you could make the videogame screen go away into the dash.

My wife wants to get one since her bmw is making knocking noises from the engine (hopefully an ac compressor?) and plug-ins get HOV lane privledges here now.

Is there any thing wrong with those, other than being a VW? Id lease it, so we would only have it for the first 4 years. She is supposed to go test a volt soon too, so we will compare.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Every mechanic I've spoken to about my WRX seems to think it is difficult. I've heard on some brands you need their specific "device" to do the programming. But I know nothing about cars, so maybe that's all bullshit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Does that actually use the GBC hardware, or is it like the Atari Jaguar molds, which were sold to a dental imaging company?

e: Okay fine I googled it. It does interface with the GameBoy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What the gently caress?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think you can get more torques with a game boy advance and fill your cavities with an Atari Jaguar? With the right cartridges.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh god, what have I done?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elephanthead posted:

I think you can get more torques with a game boy advance and fill your cavities with an Atari Jaguar? With the right cartridges.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Drove a Prius and Volt back to back tonight, and there is literally no comparison. The Volt rides so much nicer, smoother, and quieter, then the Prius it's not even funny. It's even cheaper on a age/milage basis. I think that's the Toyota premium, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

blugu64 posted:

Drove a Prius and Volt back to back tonight, and there is literally no comparison. The Volt rides so much nicer, smoother, and quieter, then the Prius it's not even funny. It's even cheaper on a age/milage basis. I think that's the Toyota premium, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Latest gen of each?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Volt was a $38k car before govt green car incentives, while the Prius was... $23k? Some of that is in the batteries and powertrain certainly but they probably could afford to make the Volt a little nicer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I test drove one of the first‐generation Volts. I thought it drove like a boat, but some people like that.

I haven’t looked at the new model.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Latest gen of each?

Gen 1 volt, and 3rd gen Prius. 2013 and 2010(1?) respectively, within 1k price delta, but the volt had 40k less miles, and was better equipped.

Edit: I might be ready for a bit of boat. I've been driving a 99 Miata for the last five years in Texas, with no AC, and various motorcycles for the last five years before that. Give me a softly sprung couch with Antarctic AC.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 15, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Platystemon posted:

I test drove one of the first‐generation Volts. I thought it drove like a boat, but some people like that.

I haven’t looked at the new model.

Volts aren't cars; they're appliances that you take on the highway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The new Volt is a lot better driving than the old one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Volts aren't cars; they're appliances that you take on the highway.

Pretty much all modern cars are appliances. A few certain German brands in particular tend to lure out this "it's an appliance" talk. They're appliances too, only with great marketing departments and extra comfy leather seats. A bike or a 1st gen MX5 or a Ferrari 348 or something, ok those are driving machines. Otherwise, no need to kid oneself. Embrace the appliance. You're just sitting in traffic like an ant in an anthill anyway, might as well be comfortable.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola posted:

Pretty much all modern cars are appliances. A few certain German brands in particular tend to lure out this "it's an appliance" talk. They're appliances too, only with great marketing departments and extra comfy leather seats. A bike or a 1st gen MX5 or a Ferrari 348 or something, ok those are driving machines. Otherwise, no need to kid oneself. Embrace the appliance. You're just sitting in traffic like an ant in an anthill anyway, might as well be comfortable.

Absolutely. Besides, when you have an appliance that you can drive to work every day, your fun car can be a LOT less practical. :v:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think I've heard the "it's a driving appliance for the sheeple" argument about every brand, even cars like 911s and loving GTRs. I really wish people would stop parroting that appliance line because they think it sounds like such a sick burn or whatever, it really just comes across as a buzzword devoid of any meaning.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It means a car with no real personality. Probably beige. It's EXTREMELY descriptive of the Volt.

Anyone using it to describe a GTR or 911 is a loving idiot, but that doesn't mean it's not a meaningful description of something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Eh, the Volt is pretty fun in Sport mode. Not Telsa fast but it gets an EV grin going.

Volt related - I saw my first Gen2 in the wild yesterday (Illinois, non-early EV market). Looks nice. Definitely less boring design-wise. Even sleek.

• Locked thread