Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Speaking of lady FPS protags, all I can really think of is Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark and Cate Archer from NOLF 1 & 2. Any others of note? Fun fact: Andrew Grossman, the lead writer on the first System Shock, said he would have liked the Hacker to have been female. I could totally see a Chell/Glados dynamic going on there. Oh yeah, there's another one. Chell counts, right? Zoe and Rochelle from L4D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

The Kins posted:

There's still some visual bugs, but ZDoom is now thinking with portals. Here's a little test someone made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rgpERaGXFc

There's gonna be a lot of fun to be had with this.

:psyboom:
Impressive!

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Speaking of lady FPS protags, all I can really think of is Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark and Cate Archer from NOLF 1 & 2. Any others of note? Fun fact: Andrew Grossman, the lead writer on the first System Shock, said he would have liked the Hacker to have been female. I could totally see a Chell/Glados dynamic going on there. Oh yeah, there's another one. Chell counts, right? Zoe and Rochelle from L4D?
The prisoner from Unreal.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Metroid Prime is a big one with a female protagonist. Also Trespasser :laugh:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

...depending on who you ask.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Would games with multiple choices for who you're playing as count? Because Enforcer had three choices and one was a woman.

Plus Hexen 2's expansion I think? :raise:

The Kins posted:

...depending on who you ask.

I've always wanted the mask to come off and the Pyro to be androgynous and beautifully handsome just to gently caress with people more. "Bishonen" and just at the right spot to make people go "Wait... is it a woman? A man? I.. i cant tell! :psyduck: " :allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 13, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Yes, there was the Demoness:

I was going to post the original art but found this one and there it is now

Other femprotags in games I recall, well, whoever was the player characters in Psychotoxic and Dreamkiller, and, uuuh, Major Dunya from Alien vs Predator 2 add-on? Oh, and the ladies from Half-Life: Decay.

In other news, an interesting Doom mod was released:

quote:

The premise of this mod is quite simple; bringing the Legendary mechanics from Fallout 4 to Doom. If you are unfamiliar with those, here's basically what happens.
Random enemies on the map are chosen to be Legendary enemies, with increased health. Bringing them down to half will cause them to fully heal and transform (kinda) into a more powerful form, attacking you relentlessly and with even more damage than normal. Killing a Legendary enemy at any point will cause them to drop a completely random Legendary weapon, which will have an extra effect altering its behaviour! There are currently 60 different effects, ranging from things like increasing the effectiveness of healing items, firing bouncing projectiles, doubled explosion size, or even a triple shot attack! These effects are seperated into four tiers of general awesomeness, with each tier having a different color representing it, as well as cool weapon sprites.

Nothing groundbreaking, but really add an interesting twist. Make sure your ZDoom/GZDoom is up to date!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

laserghost posted:

Nothing groundbreaking, but really add an interesting twist. Make sure your ZDoom/GZDoom is up to date!
I played an early version of this co-op with Term and the author. It's quite fun! It's by the same guy as DRLA, if that intrigues you.

Here's some more portal fuckery I found. (This is using the Eternity source port, but IIRC ZDoom can handle its portal implementation fine.) It's a implementation of the cool space-bending circular track from a secret level in Duke 3D:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEfqlq966xw

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

I haven't finished AMC (I actually need to start over), but the I remember skipping through some of the conversation dialog because it's really hard to read. The font is small and blocky, which makes it a chore to read through. I don't know if that something you can really change, though.
Yeah it's something I can look at - I should do a pass over the font since the other font is hard to read on darker monitors.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Mara Jade from Mysteries of the Sith.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Amanda Ripley from Alien: Isolation.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There's the obvious of Samus Aran from Metroid Prime, Prisoner 849 from Unreal, and several ladies from Timesplitters, but even on the more obscure front there's Eleena from Eradicator, Theola Nom from In Pursuit of Greed, and Manon Batiste from Medal of Honor: Underground. And that's just off the top of my head.
Shootan doesn't really shy away from women.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not really protagonists but you can choose women on your squads on old RainbowSix games but that would be in the same level as using female models on UT/Q3 I guess.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Can't believe that I missed that the prisoner in Unreal was female. Is it mentioned in game or is it just from seeing your model reflection in the fancy engine effects?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

dishwasherlove posted:

Can't believe that I missed that the prisoner in Unreal was female. Is it mentioned in game or is it just from seeing your model reflection in the fancy engine effects?

You can see it in a mirror in one of the 'HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THESE INCREDIBLE GRAPHICS, REFLECTIONS, COLORED LIGHTING, ITS LIKE LIVING IN THE MATRIX!' rooms near the start.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The prisoner is whoever you want to be completely honest, but the later games imply that the Gina model (the default) is the canonical prisoner.

Probably the only credit I'm ever going to give Legend is that they did actually bother to record a male and female voice over for the dumb cutscenes in RTNP.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Let us not forget about the surprisingly divert cast of Rise of the Triad:

I hated from the beginning the makeover Thi Barrett received with that dumb cleveage and obnoxious tat.

Bonus, gif I've found today:

no embed because 1,3MB

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Random Quake 4 question: does anyone know of a way to permanently set the weapon position to centred? It always resets the next time I open the game.

Tried looking for a cvar on random websites but came up short :(

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

laserghost posted:

Let us not forget about the surprisingly divert cast of Rise of the Triad:

I hated from the beginning the makeover Thi Barrett received with that dumb cleveage and obnoxious tat.

Bonus, gif I've found today:

no embed because 1,3MB

That gif explained it, since they half modeled her on Black Widow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I believe there's a female protagonist in Zero Tolerance as well.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

Here's some more portal fuckery I found. (This is using the Eternity source port, but IIRC ZDoom can handle its portal implementation fine.) It's a implementation of the cool space-bending circular track from a secret level in Duke 3D:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEfqlq966xw
Sun of a gun, I was trying to make that a while ago. Even went and made a converter from Build MAP format to Doom UDMF format... (...which, before you ask, is woefully incomplete and not really fit for public use, I'm afraid, unless you want a command-line program that'd draw each Build sector as a bunch of one-sided linedefs using the default DB2 texture set.)

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

laserghost posted:

This thing is really cool! An Explosive Super Shotgun has basically carried me through at least half of BTSX:E1, along with a melee, chainsaw, and pistol stat stick set that doubles healing from medkits, makes health/armor bonuses count double, and extended powerup duration, respectively. Each power variation you can find is really neat, like getting a stacking defense buff from kills, firing unlimited weaker shots when out of ammo, and making projectiles travel instantly. There's really no boring "+blah" modifiers here.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Triple Threat SSG is pretty amusing. As the name implies, it fires 3 SSG blasts at once in a wide spread.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There's Ash and the Patriarch's daughter from Killing Floor 1, and Gina Cross and Collette Green from the Half-Life: Decay expansion pack on the PS2.

I know that when DooM was fresh n' interesting, someone made a genderswap of the DooM Marine, with HUD replacement and everything. The author said they'd like more females as protagonists, but I can't find the site it was hosted on anymore.

khwarezm posted:

You can see it in a mirror in one of the 'HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THESE INCREDIBLE GRAPHICS, REFLECTIONS, COLORED LIGHTING, ITS LIKE LIVING IN THE MATRIX!' rooms near the start.

The default prisoner is/was Gina, but then they allowed you to choose your model.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3D Realms' Bombshell got a patch with a shitload of updates recently, I wonder if it sucks any less.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

There was an early 2000s FPS with a female protagonist that I can't remember the title of. You played as an angel or a vampire or some poo poo. All I remember about the gameplay is that it was bad. I think that the title had some variation of "toxic" or "poison" in it but Google isn't pulling up anything even close.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I have no idea how I managed to have a mind dump and forget all of those awesome FPS ladies. I am an idiot. :psyduck:

How'd I forget about Manon Batiste? I am not worthy.

Best FPS assault rifle?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

There was an early 2000s FPS with a female protagonist that I can't remember the title of. You played as an angel or a vampire or some poo poo. All I remember about the gameplay is that it was bad. I think that the title had some variation of "toxic" or "poison" in it but Google isn't pulling up anything even close.

Psychotoxic?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Operation Serpent! :toot:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thyrork posted:

I've always wanted the mask to come off and the Pyro to be androgynous and beautifully handsome just to gently caress with people more. "Bishonen" and just at the right spot to make people go "Wait... is it a woman? A man? I.. i cant tell! :psyduck: " :allears:

Pyro's secret identity

Hatman101
Sep 28, 2006
My Cubans!
You played as a lady in Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2. Anybody remember that one?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Lorelei Ni and Thi Barrett

The Doom marine

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hatman101 posted:

You played as a lady in Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2. Anybody remember that one?

I do but I thought that was a third person shooter?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

laserghost posted:

Psychotoxic?

Thanks, this seems to be it. I remember it having really hilarious bad cover art when I saw it at Best Buy, so I don't know if there was a different cover variation not coming up on GIS or I'm mixing it up with yet another game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

It was, I liked the game despite being clunky and the voice acting was Two Worlds levels of bad/hilarious.

Hatman101
Sep 28, 2006
My Cubans!

Wamdoodle posted:

You're right! I have that game and Kiss Psycho Circus melded into one game in my mind

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Also don't forget floating chest and arms from Trespasser.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Convex posted:

Also don't forget floating chest and arms from Trespasser.

Holy poo poo , the third person cheat from that game :stare:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

laserghost posted:

Psychotoxic?

I've never heard of this game before, so I Googled it to discover there's a Wiki for lovely games :buddy:
http://crappy-games.wikia.com/wiki/Psychotoxic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mak0rz posted:

I've never heard of this game before, so I Googled it to discover there's a Wiki for lovely games :buddy:
http://crappy-games.wikia.com/wiki/Psychotoxic
Wasn't that the game with cow enemies shooting you with their udders?