Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Some Numbers posted:

Is the FO actually junk? I like it.

The FO is great imho

I think TLTs should have been 7 points. Then they still would have given the Y-Wing some love, but it'd be a tough choice between it and taking a BTL with an Astromech, which is what they've really pushed out of the meta. I miss my Ion cannon BTL Y-Wings.

That said, my local meta has hardly any TLTs. The Kihraxz is more popular than the Y-Wing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeah, the /fo is not junk. PTL Omega Ace buttfucks Decimators and other low shield/AGI ships pretty good, Omega Leader is pretty solid, Epsilon Leader is pretty clutch for Super Wingman, and Wired Zeta Leader is decent. Only OL is head and shoulders above the meta, but the rest are by no means unplayable IMO.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Some Numbers posted:

Not at all.

Only when you already have 4 of them and don't like running swarms.

(2 from the core set, 1 as a replacement for one that the peg broke off, and one expac one). I mcould maybe see running one more, but no more than that, the only reason I'd buy further would be for Juke.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
Oh my sweet summer child. I got two new cores so I can have two new damage decks. On top of that I had two old cores and got another (already opened) old core as a gift from a friend who tried the game and didn't like it. I got one booster TIE/FO and now I have TIE Fighters coming out the rear end and not enough Juke and where do I even put more FO TIE's uggggggggh.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

thespaceinvader posted:

Not at all.

Only when you already have 4 of them and don't like running swarms.

(2 from the core set, 1 as a replacement for one that the peg broke off, and one expac one). I mcould maybe see running one more, but no more than that, the only reason I'd buy further would be for Juke.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense.

And really highlights what I don't like about FFG's packaging policy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Smegmalicious posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. I got two new cores so I can have two new damage decks. On top of that I had two old cores and got another (already opened) old core as a gift from a friend who tried the game and didn't like it. I got one booster TIE/FO and now I have TIE Fighters coming out the rear end and not enough Juke and where do I even put more FO TIE's uggggggggh.

Send them to me. I will not compensate you in any way.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm talking about taking an identical ship, ripping off the HLC and Cannon slot, and replacing it with a TLT and a Turret slot. I.e. keeping the full range 2-3 band all round the ship versus only in primary arc. I'm also talking about 2 shots rather than 1, meaning more token stripping and more chances for the green dice to fail.

Essentially, compared to a thing which costs a point more, the TLT has a LOT better chance to deal damage in practice, due to having 360 degree firing.

Not that easy to compare though, because ships with cannons have 3 attack dice by default. The cannon slot is pretty cheap on a ship (because it already has 3 attack). Sure, an HLC on a y-wing would be fantastic, but that's because putting the cannon slot on the ship alone would cost a few points.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Brunas posted:

Not that easy to compare though, because ships with cannons have 3 attack dice by default. The cannon slot is pretty cheap on a ship (because it already has 3 attack). Sure, an HLC on a y-wing would be fantastic, but that's because putting the cannon slot on the ship alone would cost a few points.

The BTL-A4 title on a Y-wing with ion turret or TLT have firepower comparable to any cannon in the game. Y wings were being played before TLTs(though only as BTL-A4 ships with ion turrets).

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Panzeh posted:

The BTL-A4 title on a Y-wing with ion turret or TLT have firepower comparable to any cannon in the game. Y wings were being played before TLTs(though only as BTL-A4 ships with ion turrets).

That's not really true. TLT w/ title definitely is similar or better than HLC depending on the defender, but it's range restricted to 2-3. BTL Ion cannon is far less damage before you even consider the range restriction

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
drat it, the 3xTLT K won. I ended up at 1-2. The last game I lost against had Miranda with full shields. I shot down their Y and Poe, but all that I had left was a badly injured Han.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, speaking of store championships, there's one coming up in a week, and the below is my planned list:

quote:

IG-88B — Aggressor 36
Predator 3
Advanced Sensors 3
"Mangler" Cannon 4
Inertial Dampeners 1
Autothrusters 2
IG-2000 0
Ship Total: 49

IG-88C — Aggressor 36
Predator 3
Advanced Sensors 3
"Mangler" Cannon 4
Inertial Dampeners 1
Autothrusters 2
IG-2000 0
Ship Total: 49

I know FCS seems to be preferred by a lot of people over AdvSen, however I really like the amount of flexibility I get with AdvSen; for example boosting(+evade), and then performing a sloop - you can really end up just about anywhere, and it's quite unpredictable - with an evade token on-hand, too. However, (especially seeing as it's likely that there'll be at least one other brobot player) I'm considering swapping out Pred for VI and bombs (or glitterstim perhaps?), so that I can move first and potentially damage -or at least force away- ships with a seismic charge or two. (Plus, I'd be able to use AdvSen to boost+evade, then drop the bomb when revealing my move, then move, right?) However I've had literally zero practice with my proposed alt list, and likely won't be able to before the event itself.
So what I'm wondering is, does anyone else here have experience with using a 'bomber IG' list - and would you consider it worth using, compared to the above list? (Alternatively, should I instead just use VI+Glitterstim, if VI is even worth having on brobots, to get one up over other mid-tier pilots)

Thanks guys

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, speaking of store championships, there's one coming up in a week, and the below is my planned list:

I know FCS seems to be preferred by a lot of people over AdvSen, however I really like the amount of flexibility I get with AdvSen; for example boosting(+evade), and then performing a sloop - you can really end up just about anywhere, and it's quite unpredictable - with an evade token on-hand, too. However, (especially seeing as it's likely that there'll be at least one other brobot player) I'm considering swapping out Pred for VI and bombs (or glitterstim perhaps?), so that I can move first and potentially damage -or at least force away- ships with a seismic charge or two. (Plus, I'd be able to use AdvSen to boost+evade, then drop the bomb when revealing my move, then move, right?) However I've had literally zero practice with my proposed alt list, and likely won't be able to before the event itself.
So what I'm wondering is, does anyone else here have experience with using a 'bomber IG' list - and would you consider it worth using, compared to the above list? (Alternatively, should I instead just use VI+Glitterstim, if VI is even worth having on brobots, to get one up over other mid-tier pilots)

Thanks guys

This is my AdvS aggressor build that I have been playing around with. It's apparently quite annoying according to my opponents. It is very easy to ion and stress small ships and just shepherd them off the board. They are also incredibly unpredictable and tough with AdvS boost and PTL. You boost for a free evade, PTL to get a focus and then do a green to clear stress, or you boost for the evade and sloop etc. It's hard to pin them down and between 3 green dice, 2 tokens and autothrusters they are about as tough as brobots get.

They don't punch as hard as FCS + HLC bots, but the control aspect makes them a nightmare to deal with.

IG-88B (36)
Push the Limit (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Ion Cannon (3)
Flechette Cannon (2)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

IG-88C (36)
Push the Limit (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Ion Cannon (3)
Flechette Cannon (2)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

KongGeorgeVII posted:

This is my AdvS aggressor build that I have been playing around with. It's apparently quite annoying according to my opponents. It is very easy to ion and stress small ships and just shepherd them off the board. They are also incredibly unpredictable and tough with AdvS boost and PTL. You boost for a free evade, PTL to get a focus and then do a green to clear stress, or you boost for the evade and sloop etc. It's hard to pin them down and between 3 green dice, 2 tokens and autothrusters they are about as tough as brobots get.

They don't punch as hard as FCS + HLC bots, but the control aspect makes them a nightmare to deal with.

Oh wow, that...really looks like a pain for others to deal with! Although unfortunately I think I've only got one flechette cannon (those are only with the Scyk pack, right?), otherwise that may've seen some action at my SC, since that looks quite fun. :( Love walking ships into things/off the board with ion (btw, would you start with the Flechette, then if that misses, the Ion cannon? I'm not familiar with double-cannon IG builds)

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Two of the lists at our tournament today were B&C bots, and at least one had them both identically set up like this. Must be popular.

The one I fought had glitterstim and crack-shot though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yessss the anime ships have begun.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Today I went to a winter kit tournament. I took:

+++ X-Wing Johnny Reb (99pts) +++

++ Rebel (Standard) (99pts) ++

+ A-Wing (23pts) +

PS 6 - •Arvel Crynyd (23pts) [A-Wing Test Pilot, Chardaan Refit, Intimidation (2pts)]

+ HWK-290 (28pts) +

PS 4 - •Roark Garnet (28pts) [Twin Laser Turret (6pts), •Lando Calrissian (3pts)]

+ X-Wing (27pts) +

PS 5 - •"Hobbie" Klivian (27pts) [Integrated Astromech, Targeting Astromech (2pts)]

+ Z-95 Headhunter (21pts) +

PS 6 - •Lieutenant Blount (21pts) [Deadeye (1pts), Ion Pulse Missiles (3pts)]

Went 2-1, with a modified win and a modified loss. Both VERY narrow. Faced Soontir/Wampa/Chiraneau in the first match, only lost Hobbie, and I managed to force Soontir to run into Crynyd in the second round. Some good rolls saw him finished off very quickly. Second match I saw Soontir/Vader/Phennir and took a modified loss of 4 points. An interesting note, this list was run by a friend of the first guy, who, between matches, told the buddy I won against that it was imperative that Soontir not get bumped. I made his rear end run into Crynyd in the second round as well, but the force was strong with this one and he squeaked away with one hull remaining until the final round, where Hobbie sniped him at range 3. Third match I faced Miranda with tactician and TLT, stresshog Y, and regen Poe. I hosed up and bumped Crynyd into Hobbie, costing me what would have been a Poe/Crynyd second round bump. This set the stage for the rest of the match, as we both flew ridiculous circles around one another, him peeling shields and dishing out stress, myself avoiding death and dodging where possible. Dude straight up outflew Crynyd after that, narrowly avoiding crashing into his nose two more times, finally smoking him in the second to last round. At the end however, Hobbie did his thing and sniped Poe at range three for the final kill of the game, granting me a narrow modified win. The guy I beat came in first by something like 25 mov points or something, I don't remember how x-wing tournament scoring works.

I came in second and got a disco Vader. Everybody seemed to have fun, and all in all, a victory for the forgotten pilots was achieved today. 10/10 would run Crynyd again.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's no such thing as a modified loss. There are wins, modified wins, draws, and losses.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Reynold posted:

Went 2-1, with a modified win and a modified loss. Both VERY narrow. Faced Soontir/Wampa/Chiraneau in the first match, only lost Hobbie, and I managed to force Soontir to run into Crynyd in the second round. Some good rolls saw him finished off very quickly. Second match I saw Soontir/Vader/Phennir and took a modified loss of 4 points. An interesting note, this list was run by a friend of the first guy, who, between matches, told the buddy I won against that it was imperative that Soontir not get bumped. I made his rear end run into Crynyd in the second round as well, but the force was strong with this one and he squeaked away with one hull remaining until the final round, where Hobbie sniped him at range 3. Third match I faced Miranda with tactician and TLT, stresshog Y, and regen Poe. I hosed up and bumped Crynyd into Hobbie, costing me what would have been a Poe/Crynyd second round bump. This set the stage for the rest of the match, as we both flew ridiculous circles around one another, him peeling shields and dishing out stress, myself avoiding death and dodging where possible. Dude straight up outflew Crynyd after that, narrowly avoiding crashing into his nose two more times, finally smoking him in the second to last round. At the end however, Hobbie did his thing and sniped Poe at range three for the final kill of the game, granting me a narrow modified win. The guy I beat came in first by something like 25 mov points or something, I don't remember how x-wing tournament scoring works.

I came in second and got a disco Vader. Everybody seemed to have fun, and all in all, a victory for the forgotten pilots was achieved today. 10/10 would run Crynyd again.

Wow, that must've been awesome; never would've expected that combo to do as well as it has for you -although to be fair whenever I've gone up against them something horrible/unlucky always happens to them, so they get killed off right away- so nicely done, I wish I could've seen Soontir bite it against Crynyd!
Hopefully I can take home a Disco Vader during my SC too, since he's probably the only card I'm really after, at this stage (other than a welfare C3P0 of course)

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Can't decide which of these to try tomorrow. Anyone played 4 shuttle lists?

Captain Kagi (27)
Sensor Jammer (4)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

The Inquisitor (25)
Juke (2)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

OR

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Omicron Group Pilot (21)
"Dark Curse" (16)

OR

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Intelligence Agent (1)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Intelligence Agent (1)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Intelligence Agent (1)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Intelligence Agent (1)

Academy Pilot (12)

I've played this before:

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Intelligence Agent (1)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Intelligence Agent (1)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Advanced Sensors (3)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

But Omega Leader seems like a waste when everyone is just stuck in a permanent traffic jam anyways.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I can't tell if your serious but either way I love it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Why do you have so many shuttles :magical:

e: Give them all ion cannons.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 14, 2016

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

More importantly how do you store and transport four shuttles?

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Smegmalicious posted:

More importantly how do you store and transport four shuttles?

By carrying around a comically oversized tackle box everywhere we go, of course.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I like the three shuttles with Omega Leader list the best.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Endman posted:

I like the three shuttles with Omega Leader list the best.

Same, I think it has potential. Just cruise in with the Lambdas, create a bit of a clusterfuck in the middle, then just dance around with OL and watch the tears

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
You can get shuttles with all the pilot cards and no upgrades for like $10 on ebay.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

It really isn't. But most people already have two from buying the TFA starter, plus one to get Juke and Comm Relay. If you want more jukes you need to buy your fourth or even fifth TIE-FO, which noone wants.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Geisladisk posted:

It really isn't. But most people already have two from buying the TFA starter, plus one to get Juke and Comm Relay. If you want more jukes you need to buy your fourth or even fifth TIE-FO, which noone wants.
I have five FOs :q:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I have six.

Generally speaking, if its an imperial small-based ship I have the maximum number you can field at 100 points.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I literally just bought 5 to have three Omega Squadron Pilots, Omega Ace and Omega Leader lists.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I waited too long to lock down my Wave 8 order and now both MM and CSI are out of toilet seat trucks.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Same here, but Cardhaus has them still up and available for preorder.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Brunas posted:

Can't decide which of these to try tomorrow. Anyone played 4 shuttle lists?

You can run 3 naked shuttles and Soontir and still get a 2 point initiative bid. It's actually surprisingly good.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 14, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Geisladisk posted:

I'm still considering potentially buying a fourth.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The TIE/fo is a really solid ship. Even a generic with Juke/Comm Relay is a solid investment given how strong that combination is. And their dial is nothing short of excellent.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I had a lot of fun running 4 named FO's against a Sheevimator/Wampa/Colzet list. The hardest part was keeping track of who did what.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Otisburg posted:

I had a lot of fun running 4 named FO's against a Sheevimator/Wampa/Colzet list. The hardest part was keeping track of who did what.

I wish they'd had just a little more access to Episode 7 previews so they could give the fofo's real names.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

General Battuta posted:

I wish they'd had just a little more access to Episode 7 previews so they could give the fofo's real names.

Like what? I doubt JJ had any idea or notion who the TIE/fo pilots were beyond what FFG already defined.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

He would be like "Okay, this one is Rass Brunkey, and this guy here is Ody Boovin. They are from MCA Squadron. And their flight leader is Kelvin."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh please no. I'm sure the spin-off movies will give us enough names of background characters. And the video games, and the books.. In 5 years, we'll find out that virtually everyone in the known galaxy had access to the plans for the death star planet.

• Locked thread