Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

McGowan's been doing a pretty good job from what I can tell. I'm not sure Stephen Smith is going to increase the ALP's chances - he's more high profile, but less charismatic than McGowan (who isn't charismatic) and I'm sure the Liberals would just campaign on his Gillard government links. It's not like they can campaign on their record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

But then again Smith was at the Sleater-Kinney gig in Perth a couple of weeks ago so he gets some cool points for that.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
stephen smith voted to lock up and torture refugees but he gets points for this http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/518774.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How can you be Premier of Western Australia and play Cricket for Australia at the same time?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Gorilla Salad posted:

So, hands up anyone who feels justice was done here and it wasn't, in fact, the old boys' club closing ranks?

Don't make pointless, poo poo appeals to be honest.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
bit of a dick move by Stephen Smith, Colin Barnett is deeply unpopular and Labor are probably going to get in

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

LibertyCat posted:

I fully understand why some USA citizens cling to their constitution. Once Rights are gone they will never, ever be given back.
Rubbish. The 21st amendmend repealed the 18th amendment.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Buck Turgidson posted:

There are a couple of things that ought to be mentioned here. Apprehended bias is about conduct, not about outcomes. You are basically looking for instances of conduct that would indicate prejudice or a bringing a pre-concluded mind to a decision. If Street expressed strong views about about migrants or particular applicants etc that were out of keeping with the sort of detachment expected from judges, then you would have a problem. Statistical arguments are unlikely to be successful, especially in a situation like this where it is probably reasonable to conclude that he decided the cases correctly. This is the Migration Act we are talking about here. It is one of the "best" example of legislators restricting grounds for judicial review. For example, it exhaustively and restrictively states how certain rules of natural justice, which if denied in other contexts could ground judicial review of a ministerial or tribunal decision, apply to decisions made under the Act, limiting your ability to appeal decisions made against you. It has a privative clause provision, which prohibits (or attempts to prohibit) ANY judicial review or challenge for certain decisions made under the Act. It is completely hosed up but I wouldn't be surprised if he did indeed decide all of those cases correctly against the applicants.

Let me see if I've got this right, in the form of a little narrative:

Refugee: Please sir, can I stay in Australia?

Judge Street: gently caress you. Go die in a hole.

Refugee: But, if I get sent back, they'll torture me and rape my children.

Judge Street: Shut up. No one cares.

[repeat this 252 times]

Refugee: This is hosed up. This guy must be biased. Let's get a judicial review going here.

Group of judges: Okay, we can only get this guy if he's not following the law. What does the relevant section of the Migration Act say?

code:
MIGRATION ACT 1958

Section 420 Refugee Review Tribunal's way of operating

(1)  gently caress you.  Go die in a hole.

(2)  Shut up.  No one cares.
Group of judges: Okay, we find Judge Street has acted according to the law. Case closed.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Gorilla Salad posted:

Refugee: Please sir, can I stay in Australia?

Judge Street: gently caress you. Go die in a hole.

Refugee: But, if I get sent back, they'll torture me and rape my children.

Judge Street: Shut up. No one cares.

[repeat this 252 times]

Refugee: This is hosed up. This guy must be biased. Let's get a judicial review going here.

Group of judges: Okay, we can only get this guy if he's not following the law. What does the relevant section of the Migration Act say?

code:
MIGRATION ACT 1958

Section 420 Refugee Review Tribunal's way of operating

(1)  gently caress you.  Go die in a hole.

(2)  Shut up.  No one cares.
Group of judges: Okay, we find Judge Street has acted according to the law. Case closed.

tldr: it's due to the separation of powers doctrine. If the judiciary were to evaluate the decision itself and whether it should have been made, it would have to take into account many things other than the law, such as policy. As soon as they do this, they are exercising functions of the executive, and can no longer be considered a separate arm and are violating the Constitution.

Instead they can only interpret and apply the law. All they are interested in is whether they have exercised their powers in line with the Migration Act and any other relevant legislation. Due to previous decisions where the courts have disallowed governmental decisions legislation has been tightened up in response, meaning it's less likely bias today and simply that there is no room to invalidate governmental decisions.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

stephen smith voted to lock up and torture refugees but he gets points for this http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/518774.html
the national selectors are probably one of the only groups of people in Australia more unpopular than federal politicians

still think it's a real dick move. and it won't be neatly resolved so now we get to see the Labor party eat itself. which they kind of deserve, except then we get an American ex-IPA neocon fucktard with a stupid mustache as premier.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Negligent posted:

bit of a dick move by Stephen Smith, Colin Barnett is deeply unpopular and Labor are probably going to get in

Stephen Smith is infamously ambitious, when he was Defence Minister everyone in Defence hated him as his main priority was how to become PM. When he left the federal government a lot of people scratched their heads as his ambition for the top job was well known.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Gorilla Salad posted:

Nah. The Minister is the one with power to determine whether an applicant can stay in Australia/get protection visa/etc . The power to make these determinations is granted by and governed by the Migration Act 1958. The Tribunal also has power to review certain actions taken by the Minister under the Migration Act and basically steps into the shoes of the Minister when doing so, making decisions on based on the merits of the application and relevant information. So in some cases, if you don't like the first result, you can appeal to the Tribunal and get them to look at your application. If your application fails at this point, your only shot is to show to a court that the decision involved some kind of legal error or lack of jurisdiction, have the decision set aside, get yourself a time extension and hope that the Minister or the Tribunal, doing their job properly this time, grants your application.

Judge Street is not the one deciding whether or not applicants stay in Australia. He is not allowed to consider the merits of their application to stay. The matters coming to him are narrow legal questions and don't go any further than deciding whether or not the Minister or AAT made their decisions according to the Migration Act. Stuff like: Did they consider what they had to? Did the Act allow them to make the decision they did? Street in this case dismissed the refugee's claims that the Tribunal made an argument amounting to jurisdictional error, failed to consider certain things or acted unreasonably... which from looking at the brief reasons given by him and the excerpt of the Tribunal's reasons seems like the correct decision. Not really much he can do. The Full Court is likewise dealing with a legal question about apprehended bias. Nothing to do with the refugee's application for a protection visa.

I cannot overstate how unfair the Migration Act can be. It is not your garden-variety statute. It sounds crazy but I am not in the least surprised that Judge Street turned down 100% of the applications for review.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Lid posted:

Stephen Smith is infamously ambitious, when he was Defence Minister everyone in Defence hated him as his main priority was how to become PM. When he left the federal government a lot of people scratched their heads as his ambition for the top job was well known.

I am going to laugh when all the Labor infighting allows the Liberals to win again and Mike loving Nahan becomes the premier

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

even if the judge can't actually do anything except review whether the correct procedure was followed, its highly unlikely immigration have not hosed up at least once. this is border farce we're talking about here.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Negligent posted:

even if the judge can't actually do anything except review whether the correct procedure was followed, its highly unlikely immigration have not hosed up at least once. this is border farce we're talking about here.

At least twice according to his record.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Brown Paper Bag posted:

I'm not sure Stephen Smith is going to increase the ALP's chances - he's more high profile

Until yesterday I had no idea he was even in state parliament.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Rob Pyne's resignation shows North Queensland is a state of mind

One of the mistakes of our federation is that North Queensland is not a separate state. Politicians from north of Capricorn have long complained about the neglect of tropical Queensland by Brisbane-based governments.

Last week former Labor MP now independent Member for Cairns Rob Pyne complained that: "Far north Queensland has been the victim of historic neglect over recent years...We have double digit unemployment and youth unemployment of over 20 per cent, and we are badly in need of state funding for important infrastructure, like our local schools."

Nothing new here. In 1948 the redoubtable Tommy Aikens, the Independent member for Mundingburra (1944-1977), complained that "…in North Queensland working-class families of long standing are preparing to leave the North and its long slack period unemployment, and migrate to Brisbane with its near-permanence of employment and abundant and varied recreation during the long week-ends".

Indeed, how can the leaders of the Queensland government, ensconced in the outer urban Struggle Street seat of Inala, and the inner urban Uber-connected seat South Brisbane, understand the needs of provincial city electorates in the tropics, "a thousand miles away"?

History tells us that long serving, successful premiers in Queensland are those who come from the north. 'Red Ted' Theodore, premier 1919-25 came from Chillagoe; William Forgan Smith, premier 1932-42, was the member for Mackay, Peter Beattie, premier 1998-2007, was raised in Atherton.

History also tells us that northern Independents have longevity. Aikens was a railwayman elected in the state seat of Mundingburra (later Townsville South) in 1944, who held the seat until 1977. He founded the Hermit Park branch of the ALP in 1940 but was booted by the anti-communist ALP Queensland Central Executive in 1941 for his pro-Soviet views. His branch soon followed, and together they formed the North Queensland Labor Party, successfully contesting the 1944 state poll.

Tommy was a parliamentary rabble rouser. He and Ted Walsh (ALP Bundaberg) went several rounds in the lobby of the Legislative Assembly in 1944. His obituary records that he once told an unnamed premier: "You are so narrow-minded you could look through a keyhole with both eyes."

The "Voice of the North", as he was known, advocated castration for sex offenders long before Russ Hinze's infamous comment was made, criticised militant trade unions, and called on universities to expel students taking part in demonstrations.

While there is no suggestion that former left faction member Pyne shares these views, he does share the North Queensland cargo cult mindset that delivers government goodies not on the basis of need but simply because they are for North Queensland.

Pyne told Brisbane Times last week, "It doesn't matter whether it has been schools in the Cairns electorate, or hospital in Atherton … for far north Queensland. I'll be putting my hand up for the people of Cairns and be a very powerful advocate for my city, and hopefully achieve a number of more significant wins in terms of service and infrastructure".

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

freebooter posted:

Until yesterday I had no idea he was even in state parliament.

He's not. He's challenging from outside parliament.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lol. What makes him think he deserves to be ambitious? He has less personality than Shorten.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

Rob Pyne's resignation shows North Queensland is a state of mind

One of the mistakes of our federation is that North Queensland is not a separate state. Politicians from north of Capricorn have long complained about the neglect of tropical Queensland by Brisbane-based governments.

Last week former Labor MP now independent Member for Cairns Rob Pyne complained that: "Far north Queensland has been the victim of historic neglect over recent years...We have double digit unemployment and youth unemployment of over 20 per cent, and we are badly in need of state funding for important infrastructure, like our local schools."

Nothing new here. In 1948 the redoubtable Tommy Aikens, the Independent member for Mundingburra (1944-1977), complained that "…in North Queensland working-class families of long standing are preparing to leave the North and its long slack period unemployment, and migrate to Brisbane with its near-permanence of employment and abundant and varied recreation during the long week-ends".

Indeed, how can the leaders of the Queensland government, ensconced in the outer urban Struggle Street seat of Inala, and the inner urban Uber-connected seat South Brisbane, understand the needs of provincial city electorates in the tropics, "a thousand miles away"?

History tells us that long serving, successful premiers in Queensland are those who come from the north. 'Red Ted' Theodore, premier 1919-25 came from Chillagoe; William Forgan Smith, premier 1932-42, was the member for Mackay, Peter Beattie, premier 1998-2007, was raised in Atherton.

History also tells us that northern Independents have longevity. Aikens was a railwayman elected in the state seat of Mundingburra (later Townsville South) in 1944, who held the seat until 1977. He founded the Hermit Park branch of the ALP in 1940 but was booted by the anti-communist ALP Queensland Central Executive in 1941 for his pro-Soviet views. His branch soon followed, and together they formed the North Queensland Labor Party, successfully contesting the 1944 state poll.

Tommy was a parliamentary rabble rouser. He and Ted Walsh (ALP Bundaberg) went several rounds in the lobby of the Legislative Assembly in 1944. His obituary records that he once told an unnamed premier: "You are so narrow-minded you could look through a keyhole with both eyes."

The "Voice of the North", as he was known, advocated castration for sex offenders long before Russ Hinze's infamous comment was made, criticised militant trade unions, and called on universities to expel students taking part in demonstrations.

While there is no suggestion that former left faction member Pyne shares these views, he does share the North Queensland cargo cult mindset that delivers government goodies not on the basis of need but simply because they are for North Queensland.

Pyne told Brisbane Times last week, "It doesn't matter whether it has been schools in the Cairns electorate, or hospital in Atherton … for far north Queensland. I'll be putting my hand up for the people of Cairns and be a very powerful advocate for my city, and hopefully achieve a number of more significant wins in terms of service and infrastructure".

We can't split into two states, that'll just cut off the north from all the money in the south. Move the capital from Brisbane to Rockhampton instead - dead centre of North/south, needs a bit of a post-mines boost, and the locals are far more representative of Queenslanders in general than the stooges on George St (or some kid from Woodridge wtf)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The only way I'd accept splitting Queensland into 2 states is if they only collectively have the same number of senators as they do now, split proportionately. By my estimates (231,628 people in NQ, 280,638 in FNQ, 4.691 mil in the state) that'll give them about 1.2 senators for their entire new state.

Seems like a pretty good arrangement for them :v:

Of course that does depend on where we draw the line; for simplicity I drew it at North and Far North Qld from

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
John Howard doing good things

quote:

Former Australian prime minister John Howard has re-entered the US gun debate, declaring it is "incontestable" gun-related homicides fell significantly after he introduced strict laws following the Port Arthur massacre.

Speaking on CBS' Sunday Morning TV news program, Mr Howard said he was compelled to act after 35 people were gunned down at the Tasmanian historical site in 1996.

"It is incontestable that gun-related homicides have fallen quite significantly in Australia, incontestable," Mr Howard said.

"I mean, if you had 13 mass shootings before Port Arthur and you had none since, isn't that evidence?

"And you had a 74 per cent fall in the gun-related suicide rates, isn't that evidence?

"Or are we expected to believe that that was all magically going to happen? Come on."

The gun debate has become one of the hottest topics in the US presidential campaign, with Republican frontrunners Donald Trump and Ted Cruz staunchly defending Americans' constitutional right to own firearms.

Senator Cruz falsely claimed in one US radio interview sexual assaults on women in Australia went up significantly after the strict gun laws were introduced.

Democrat frontrunner Hillary Clinton and US President Barack Obama have said the US should look at Australia as an example.

"People used to say to me, 'You violated my human rights by taking away my gun,' " Mr Howard, who is regularly called upon by the US media to explain Australia's gun laws, said.

"And I'd [say], 'I understand that. Will you please understand the argument, the greatest human right of all is to live a safe life without fear of random murder.' "

CBS also interviewed pro-gun Australian senator David Leyonhjelm, Australian lawyer and wine-maker Greg Melick and Port Arthur survivor Carolyn Loughton, who lost her 15-year-old daughter Sarah in the massacre.

"I don't think there's any relationship between the availability of guns and the level of violence," Senator Leyonhjelm said.

Asked if Australia could provide a lesson to the US, Ms Loughton replied: "I am loath to comment, but my question is, 'How is it going for you over there?' "

The most startling interview for Americans was probably that with Mr Melick who is pro-gun, but agreed with the strict laws that took some of his high-powered guns away and forced him to lock up his weapons in different safes on his rural Australian property.

Mr Melick said he viewed gun ownership as a privilege, not a right.

"It's just bizarre the number of people getting killed in the United States and you have these ridiculous arguments: 'Well, people carry guns so they can defend themselves,' " Mr Melick told CBS journalist Seth Doane.

Imagine Tony Abbott 20 years down the line trying to do this with Stopping The Boats as his greatest contribution.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

iajanus posted:

The only way I'd accept splitting Queensland into 2 states is if they only collectively have the same number of senators as they do now, split proportionately. By my estimates (231,628 people in NQ, 280,638 in FNQ, 4.691 mil in the state) that'll give them about 1.2 senators for their entire new state.

Seems like a pretty good arrangement for them :v:

Of course that does depend on where we draw the line; for simplicity I drew it at North and Far North Qld from

we all know the answer is

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Birdstrike posted:

Indeed

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but imagine Queensland as it's own country

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Birdstrike posted:

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

This, so very much this!

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

bowmore posted:

but imagine Queensland as it's own country

Just one of the many benefits that seceding from the south-east can offer. Australia is holding us back.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

freebooter posted:

Lol. What makes him think he deserves to be ambitious? He has less personality than Shorten.

It is a massive dick move since Mark McGowan is an OK kind of guy who was probably going to be premier

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Put Quirk last today. Hope he shoves his unnecessary road upgrades the same place we shoved Newman's privatisation plans.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Lid posted:

Imagine Tony Abbott 20 years down the line trying to do this with Stopping The Boats as his greatest contribution.

Well there's probably not much else he can hang his hat on really.

Given how things are travelling in Europe and the US it may even be regarded as a great contribution as well.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Sounds like Smith is kind of hosed. Two MPs who were linked to his candidacy have backed McGowan, and no active WA Labor politician is supporting him.

I wonder what the hell he was thinking bringing this on.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Sounds like Smith is kind of hosed. Two MPs who were linked to his candidacy have backed McGowan, and no active WA Labor politician is supporting him.

powerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpowerpoweproweprowerpowerpower

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

quote:

The Australian Christian Lobby and the senator Eric Abetz have rejected modelling suggesting the “true cost” of the same-sex marriage plebiscite is $525m.

The accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers Australia (PwC) calculated the real cost of the plebiscite at $525m, based on its estimates of $281m for the time cost of voting, $158m to conduct voting, $66m for campaigning and $20m for mental health harms to 50,000 LGBTI Australians.

An Australian Christian Lobby spokesman said PwC was not a neutral organisation because it was a public supporter of same-sex marriage and Australian Marriage Equality, who are working on the “yes” case for the plebiscite.

Lol.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/mar/14/marriage-equality-votes-true-cost-attacked-by-conservatives

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Brown Paper Bag posted:

"Labor is probably going to win the next state election, I'm a factional powerbroker and deserve to be the boss"

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

What kind of giant pension double dipping can you do as a former federal AND state politician

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The funniest bit is Abetz claiming that

quote:

And of course it doesn't take into account the costs on the other side of this debate - people who feel strongly, who will feel depressed about a change if it were to occur as a result of a plebiscite.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tasmania has enormous amounts of Below the Line voting and Senator Abetz deserves some credit for that.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

they can just go to church for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The funniest bit is Abetz claiming that

Who gives a gently caress about how the gays feel