Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I'm not sure whether that or Immortal Dad of the Body is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'm personally fond of Daddio, I assume at that level you get the Beat Poetry skill.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There's not a GURPS thread anymore so I'll say in here that I've been reading After the End: Wastelanders and it's pretty good. It takes the Dungeon Fantasy/Action formula and refines it a bit, so it's the same sort of templates/discussion on good advantages/perks for the genre/rules variants but it's presented in a cleaner fashion than those older books.

My favorite part is the discussion of how wealth and money don't exist in the post apocalypse, and the presentation of a barter economy that's based on trading bullets for goods, like something out of the Metro games. The second, GM-Focused book should be out in a couple of weeks, and I think I'm going to run a game for my home group when it hits.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Non-standard currency on postacop is old as hell it dates from the original Fallout and maybe even earlier.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
PIMPS TABLE I.

Title
Level1
Bawl
Bawl (2nd level)
Pitch
Pitch (4th level)
Procurer
Procurer (6th level)
Procurer (7th level)
Procurer (8th level)
Pimp
Pimp General
Pimp Overlord
Pimp Potentate
Pimp Potentate (13th level)
Pimp Potentate (14th level)
Pimps gain 3 h.p. per level after the 9th.

Class Feature: Won't Commit Suicide

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:toot: New FREE 270 page beta for Polaris RPG. Beta only available for free for the next couple days!! :toot:

Link: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/177110/POLARIS-RPG--Core-Rulebook-1-Beta-05?src=slider_view

via booga on RPPR forums

quote:

Black Book Editions, publisher of the French versions of Pathfinder, Savage Worlds and Shadowrun, is about to start a Kickstarter campaign to fund Polaris RPG, a science-fiction post-apocalyptic roleplaying game in which humankind has found refuge in the oceans. This French RPG is one of the most popular "Made in France" RPGs, and will be soon available in English for for the first time.

The Polaris RPG is set in a far future where the world above ground has become uninhabitable for the human species. Human beings have found refuge in the depths of the ocean, where they try to somehow survive in spite of the many difficulties they encounter in this hostile environment. The species’ degeneration (characterized by the increasing number of sterile individuals and various genetic mutations), the perpetual wars that have ravaged entire colonies, the monsters, and, above all, the difficulty of exploiting natural resources are the immediate problems faced by this civilization.

In this new world of silence and darkness, players can choose to become agents of one of the underwater factions, mercenaries working to keep afloat, or freelancers trying to establish their own communities. No matter which side they pick, they will discover that nothing is completely black or white, and that humankind will need to unite against a common adversity if it wants to survive. Meanwhile, they will have to fight against all odds and gear up as best they can, buying precious breathing mixes or fluids. They will need to tinker, patch up, and stitch together their submarines. Luck may smile upon them when they discover brand-new equipment or one of the stashes left behind by the ominous Empire of the Geneticians. Their fate will be much darker if they happen to stumble upon raiders or pirates. Adventurers will, however, get a chance to gain fame and even influence the world’s destiny through their actions and discoveries. Humankind is in need of heroes, and empires can sometimes be born from simple ideals. All these elements and many others make up the backdrop of this universe in which one great mystery prevails: the Polaris Flux.

The Polaris RPG gives Players and Game Masters the possibility to play in different ways: try to survive in the darkness of the seas, be part of the perpetual wars, and discover the mysteries that prevail in the oceans or take part in the political intrigues between ambitious nations.

The official release date of the Polaris RPG Kickstarter is March 15th 2016 (in a couple days only).

To help you discover its universe and game system, Black Book Edition has made the beta version of the Core Rulebook:1 available for free on DriveThru RPG! This download will be available until March 17th 2016, so make sure to download you copy right away! This 280 pages, full-colour and fully illustrated document, will be part of the two book set that will include everything a GM and his group need to start playing in the exciting and dangerous world of Polaris RPG.

You can also find the latest news, sign-up for the Polaris Newsletter and download a quickstart guide PDF on the official Polaris RPG website.

I took a quick skim through the beta. The art is fantastic. Eclipse Phase level quality.

The theme is sort of Waterworld underwater plus Sea Lab plus SEA PATROL . Maybe I don't know about the latter.

If you are not familiar, drink in the majesty of SEA PATROL. :https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757384

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Fantastic" isn't the first word that springs to my mind when I look at that art.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

aside from the resolution I'd say the art seems to be generally of decent technical quality, just with some awful design decisions, especially the unfortunately moldy woman in the second piece. The tail on the last piece in particular looks like it was actually added on later, but hard to say for sure.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

oriongates posted:

aside from the resolution I'd say the art seems to be generally of decent technical quality, just with some awful design decisions, especially the unfortunately moldy woman in the second piece.

I like the giant Playstation 2 era fish which reminds me that Seaman was a thing that existed.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Oh god, you just reminded me what those things looked like. They're in my brain again now!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Don't diss Yoot Saito's and Leonard Nimoy's masterful experience for the SEGA Dreamcast

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Don't diss Yoot Saito's and Leonard Nimoy's masterful experience for the SEGA Dreamcast

I agree, it was an uplifting experience listening to Leonard Nemoy talk about how to treat your Seaman properly.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

oriongates posted:

Oh god, you just reminded me what those things looked like. They're in my brain again now!
I'm pretty sure that game wins the Creepiest Game Ever award.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Well, don't forget Cho Aniki is also a thing.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

oriongates posted:

aside from the resolution I'd say the art seems to be generally of decent technical quality, just with some awful design decisions, especially the unfortunately moldy woman in the second piece. The tail on the last piece in particular looks like it was actually added on later, but hard to say for sure.

For some reason I'm having problems with the resolution. The pdf was in high res then maybe I did something wrong in photoshop to crop and upload as jpgs. :shrug:

Take a look through the pdf it's interesting.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Helical Nightmares posted:

:toot: New FREE 270 page beta for Polaris RPG. Beta only available for free for the next couple days!! :toot:

That's not a Polaris.

This is a Polaris: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12354.phtml

Edit: Oh, this polaris might actually be older because it's a translation of a french game?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 14, 2016

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

That's not a Polaris.

This is a Polaris: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12354.phtml

Edit: Oh, this polaris might actually be older because it's a translation of a french game?

Looks like it started in 1996. Also there is an omega in Polaris that I'm not going to even try to correct.

:toot: Delta Green Quick Start Rule book free to everyone :toot:

53 pages. :cthulhu:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-role-playing-game/posts/1502897

quote:

Delta Green: Need to Know

This is Shane Ivey from Arc Dream Publishing. I have exciting news.

DELTA GREEN: NEED TO KNOW is the official title of the Delta Green Handler's screen and quick-start rulebook. The rulebook is available as a PDF—free to everyone—at this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta%20Green%20Need%20to%20Know.pdf?dl=0

(That link is also available through BackerKit for backers' convenience.)

That's right, it's free to everyone. Share it anywhere and everywhere.

The other half of Need to Know, the Handler's screen, will be available soon in PDF to backers who paid for it and for purchase by everyone else.

Bonus Downloads

Blank Delta Green character sheet with fillable forms
Pregenerated character sheets with fillable forms

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I...found another thing.

Can't stop :negative:

Belly of the Beast RPG

http://www.bendutter.com/sigil-stone-publishing/belly-of-the-beast-rpg/

Written by Ben Dutter

quote:

Belly of the Beast is a tabletop roleplaying game that focuses on grim scavengers living in the vast innards of the Great Devourer, salvaging and scraping through the swallowed ruins of a bygone age.

The game uses the Ethos Engine (Vow of Honor, Hunt the Wicked), but has been rebuilt to model the incredibly difficult and terrifying lives of scavengers in the belly of the Beast. You can read the alpha working draft (about 30,000 words) or the quick start rules (a few pages).

Characters are driven by their Instincts, and improve their skills after successfully completing more and more valuable pulls – scavenging missions. They have to work together with their company, try to barter off their salvaged goods, and survive amid caustic acid, bloodthirsty reavers, and hungry cannibals.

I flipped through the about 300 page alpha. Check this out.

quote:

Hunger

The single most significant element of the Beast is its Hunger. When the Beast gains Hunger, it decides to consume more of the land. And when its Hunger is abated, it is content to sit for months or years slowly digesting through castles and mountains and forests.

A company’s actions can have a major impact on the Beast’s Hunger. Any large scale extractions, pulls, or movement of heavy quantities of debris that prevent the Beast from digesting it increases its Hunger. Breaking large pieces of debris loose and sending it deeper into the Beast decreases its Hunger.

For example, Katarod’s company wants to accelerate the rate at which the Beast is consuming a particular region, as the influx of fresh trees and water is helpful to the scavengers. They go and make several large pulls, blocking up passageways, and preventing much of the debris from traveling (slowly) down the digestive tract and deeper into the Belly. As it isn’t gaining nutrients from its food, the Beast’s Hunger increases.

Later, Katarod and his crew want to stop the Beast from eating anything until after they’re picked through the best and freshest loot. They go deeper into the Belly and dislodge great quantities of rock, mud, and other waste so as to fill up the Beast’s entrails with otherwise undigested food, making its Hunger decline and desire to eat stop.

Pain

While the Beast certainly doesn’t feel pity or remorse, it can feel Pain. Despite many attempts, the Devourer can’t be killed, or even seriously wounded. The united armies of a hundred kingdoms stood before it, unleashing their greatest weapons and technology - with hardly any effect. They were eaten along with the rest of their cities and the ground they stood upon.

However, the Swallowed know that the Beast can be hurt from within, and while the injuries aren’t substantial or life-threatening to the gluttonous creature, they can change its behavior and cause it discomfort.

Scavengers can use this to their benefit, but more commonly reavers and violent strongholds will attempt to elicit a reaction from the Beast in order to endanger their enemies. The most common of these is to simply hack, drill, and mine your way into its flesh. :stare:

The first few layers are easily scraped away, however after several feet the omnipotent creature’s guts begin to heal so rapidly that all but the most dedicated organizations can hardly make a dent. Few and far between are instances in which a hundred or more workers make a concerted effort to damage a segment of the Beast’s innards - and often the boiling hot blood and terribly deteriorative fumes are enough to make the attempt not worth the effort.

Even such a small impact upon the Beast’s health can cause a major reaction, forcing the Beast to roil and move violently, regurgitate great quantities of half-digested waste, or feverishly consume certain elements such as cooling clay or saltwater.

Sometimes external events, or large scale random shifts within the Beast’s bowels can cause it Pain - more than one semi-permanent stronghold has been dislodged in such a tumultuous location, disappearing into the black depths of the Belly’s lowest regions. :ohdear:

In general, scavengers want to prevent the Beast from experiencing Pain, as it complicates their job. The more stable, calm, and happy the Insatiable Demon is, the more reliably they can extract valuable hauls.

Using these rules for unlucky Pathfinder characters consumed by Rovagug comes to mind.

quote:

Hazards

The Evergut :laugh: is saturated in danger, ensuring that only the most cautious and careful scavengers survive more than their first attempted pull.

The most common form of Hazards are the Beast’s digestive systems - various tentacles, acids, fluids, gases, slimes, mucks, and other inner-musculature that causes scavengers to become stuck, encased, drowned, asphyxiated, stabbed, mashed, chewed, or otherwise killed.

I'm reminded of Rift's Worldbook 1: Wormwood.

Have a character commissioned for Belly of the Beast.

Also by the same artist, Bob Ross as...Radagast?

http://regourso.tumblr.com/

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 14, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.geeknative.com/54978/cubicle-7-sophisticated-games-bring-lord-rings-dd/

Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games bring Lord of the Rings to D&D

Cubicle 7 already have a successful Lord of the Rings RPG with The One Ring and Sophisticated Games already works with them on that while developing book-based JRR Tolkien games under license from Middle-earth Enterprises.

The two companies have teamed up again and this time they’ll be making a Dungeons & Dragons compatible RPG series for Middle-earth.

The One Ring RPG will continue as a separate line and Cubicle 7 are promising new announcements for the series.

Dominic McDowall told press;

We’re all very excited to be building on the success of The One Ring Roleplaying Game and bringing Middle-earth to D&D® players. Uniting two things very close to the hearts of gamers, me included, is very cool – I can’t wait for the summer.”

Wizards of the Coast have offered up D&D and its mechanics to an OGL system. Publishers are encouraged to write for the Forgotten Realms setting, though, with access to the DMs Guild reserved for those who do so. Just last week a group of Indie publishers formed a consortium to launch TableTopLibrary.com as an alternative marketplace for 5e compatible, non-Forgotten Realms, products. It is likely the new D&D-meets-LotR RPG will make use of 5e rules but will stay entirely clear from Dungeons & Dragons settings.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Does Cubicle 7 write decent mechanics? My only experience with them are the well-written mechanically-garbage games they translated.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://www.geeknative.com/54978/cubicle-7-sophisticated-games-bring-lord-rings-dd/

Cubicle 7 already have a successful Lord of the Rings RPG with The One Ring and Sophisticated Games already works with them on that while developing book-based JRR Tolkien games under license from Middle-earth Enterprises.

The two companies have teamed up again and this time they’ll be making a Dungeons & Dragons compatible RPG series for Middle-earth.

The One Ring RPG will continue as a separate line and Cubicle 7 are promising new announcements for the series.

We’re all very excited to be building on the success of The One Ring Roleplaying Game and bringing Middle-earth to D&D® players. Uniting two things very close to the hearts of gamers, me included, is very cool – I can’t wait for the summer.”

Wizards of the Coast have offered up D&D and its mechanics to an OGL system. Publishers are encouraged to write for the Forgotten Realms setting, though, with access to the DMs Guild reserved for those who do so. Just last week a group of Indie publishers formed a consortium to launch TableTopLibrary.com as an alternative marketplace for 5e compatible, non-Forgotten Realms, products. It is likely the new D&D-meets-LotR RPG will make use of 5e rules but will stay entirely clear from Dungeons & Dragons settings.

Truly the darkest timeline.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

fool_of_sound posted:

Does Cubicle 7 write decent mechanics? My only experience with them are the well-written mechanically-garbage games they translated.

The One Ring is really, really good, so it'll be fun to see how god awful this new D&D version of it is.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't wait to see how little they bother to put in evocative mechanics to bring about the feel of Tolkien.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't wait to see how little they bother to put in evocative mechanics to bring about the feel of Tolkien.

But, but, but we can actually call them Hobbits again!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mecha Gojira posted:

But, but, but we can actually call them Hobbits again!

(hits crtl-r, replaces "halfling" with "hobbit" throughout PHB)
"And there we go! Game designed!"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yeah, it's important to note that TOR was writing explicitly to be Tolkein-esque. It's not about big epic fights and sick-nasty looting, it's about intrepid journeys and using your faith in your friends to survive brushes against the shadow. You don't have a Charisma attribute, but you do have Riddles and Songs as important skills.

The only way a D&D LotR could work is by, frankly, ditching most of the D&D aspects. And that won't happen.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
You can also do D&D-style adventuring in Middle Earth, which is how MERP did it back in the day. Just treat Middle Earth as the backdrop for going into dungeons and beating up monsters and leveling up. Instead of getting hired in Waterdeep to go down the Savage Coast to wreck a suspected temple of Bane, you get hired in Minas Tirith to go down to Umbar and wreck a suspected temple to Morgoth, that sort of thing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

FMguru posted:

You can also do D&D-style adventuring in Middle Earth, which is how MERP did it back in the day. Just treat Middle Earth as the backdrop for going into dungeons and beating up monsters and leveling up. Instead of getting hired in Waterdeep to go down the Savage Coast to wreck a suspected temple of Bane, you get hired in Minas Tirith to go down to Umbar and wreck a suspected temple to Morgoth, that sort of thing.

Yeah, but that that point you aren't playing a LotR game. You're playing D&D with some Middle Earth names scattered about. Which is what MERP was.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I kinda wonder how it's going to deal with LotR not really having that much in the way of magic, at least not in the way DnD style magic. Either they abandon that entirely, or else you end up with a decent variety of non-magic/very limited magic characters, which may be interesting.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, but that that point you aren't playing a LotR game. You're playing D&D with some Middle Earth names scattered about. Which is what MERP was.

But that's nevertheless what a lot of people presumably want to play, so whatever, power to 'em I guess.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Looking forward to the Plot Wizard writeup!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, it's important to note that TOR was writing explicitly to be Tolkein-esque. It's not about big epic fights and sick-nasty looting, it's about intrepid journeys and using your faith in your friends to survive brushes against the shadow. You don't have a Charisma attribute, but you do have Riddles and Songs as important skills.

The only way a D&D LotR could work is by, frankly, ditching most of the D&D aspects. And that won't happen.

Yea one of the reasons TOR is one of my favorite games is because it's the first 'lord of the rings rpg' I've played that wasn't 'D&D with a LOTR flavor', which meant every game was basically the finale of Return of the King the movie. That's fun, don't get me wrong, but me and my friends 'got' a ton more out of TOR because it did poo poo like 'ok this session is pretty much all about how you're getting to the next stop and how you as a group of people are going to work together to keep sanity' instead of 'ok so you're a Hobbit bard which means, as Hobbits are known to do, you wanna stab stuff with your rapier and occasionally sing a jaunty tune about it'.

I hope Cubicle 7 does well on it just because I love them as a company, but I have zero interest or desire in 'D&D LOTR' when both D&D and TOR exist already as their own things that kinda don't play well together to begin with.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Exciting news, everyone!

Now we can coin the term "Murderhobbits".

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wizards of the Coast have offered up D&D and its mechanics to an OGL system.

I feel like I don't really deserve the power to see the future.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Fellowship is a pretty good LotR sim, also, though it also covers more than that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

spectralent posted:

Fellowship is a pretty good LotR sim, also, though it also covers more than that.

It is, though I'm really looking forward to the added playbooks, because I'd like to diverge more from the LotR model.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's like people like to make a quick buck more than they like to contemplate how mechanics inform a system and add theme, flavor, etc.!

This just in - Vincent Baker uses the power of the OGL system to bring Apocalypse World to D&D! Now you can play the same great game you love in 3x the amount of time with 654% more needless crunch!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I graduated my game, but I still couldn't get a job with it. :(

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

DalaranJ posted:

I feel like I don't really deserve the power to see the future.

Good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I too remember that scene from Return of the King where Tom Bombadil is better at grappling than Gimli.

And the Fellowship takes frequent 1-hour rest stops in the middle of the Mines of Moria.

• Locked thread