Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Astroman posted:

Human misery? I guarantee you Ricky Whittle made more than me in the last year, and probably more than anyone posting here. These are highly paid actors who make thousands or tens of thousands per episode. They also don't work half the time. An actor might have to go in 7 days a week for grueling shoots, but other times they wake up on a Wednesday and do nothing and do the same for weeks on end. Or the "work" of going to parties and premieres. I'm not saying entertainers don't work hard, but they aren't mining coal or stocking poo poo in an Amazon warehouse in 90 degree heat.

Ah, so you don't actually need to treat actors like human beings when they're on set as long as you pay them enough and give them ample time off? Good to know.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but a toxic, miserable work environment is not something that should be happening to anyone. Period. There is no excuse. The privilege of being a raging rear end in a top hat is not something you should be able to buy by being good at your job, let alone bad at it. Again, from a business standpoint, the most important part of this is that Rothenberg's antics are biting the show in the rear end. His decision and handling of the Lexa situation tanked the ratings and actors are now publicly coming out against him, causing even more fan uproar. Notice how loving nobody is coming to his defense. The other actors might not be saying anything against him (out of self-preservation) but they sure as hell aren't doing anything to refute Ricky Whittle's statements.

And no one has outright said this, but everything I've seen seems to indicate that Ricky basically asked to be killed off. His mother said that he had to walk away from the show. Whatever was happening there, it was bad enough to make him walk away from that allegedly huge salary before he had another job lined up. That's got to be pretty loving wretched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Dalael posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the real controversy here is that she left The 100 (a great show) for Fear the Walking Dead (something I hope will die by next season)?

She had no way of knowing her role on The 100 would expand when taking the Fear the Walking Dead role, most likely. And even if she did, Fear the Walking Dead is likely to be on TV for a hell of a lot longer than The 100.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

hcreight posted:

She had no way of knowing her role on The 100 would expand when taking the Fear the Walking Dead role, most likely. And even if she did, Fear the Walking Dead is likely to be on TV for a hell of a lot longer than The 100.

God I hope not. :pray:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Spergatory posted:

Ah, so you don't actually need to treat actors like human beings when they're on set as long as you pay them enough and give them ample time off? Good to know.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but a toxic, miserable work environment is not something that should be happening to anyone. Period. There is no excuse. The privilege of being a raging rear end in a top hat is not something you should be able to buy by being good at your job, let alone bad at it. Again, from a business standpoint, the most important part of this is that Rothenberg's antics are biting the show in the rear end. His decision and handling of the Lexa situation tanked the ratings and actors are now publicly coming out against him, causing even more fan uproar. Notice how loving nobody is coming to his defense. The other actors might not be saying anything against him (out of self-preservation) but they sure as hell aren't doing anything to refute Ricky Whittle's statements.

And no one has outright said this, but everything I've seen seems to indicate that Ricky basically asked to be killed off. His mother said that he had to walk away from the show. Whatever was happening there, it was bad enough to make him walk away from that allegedly huge salary before he had another job lined up. That's got to be pretty loving wretched.

Sorry... I missed the whole Ricky Whittle vs Rothenberg thing...
What has he actually complained about? How are we sure that Ricky's not the one being a diva here?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dalael posted:

God I hope not. :pray:

AMC plans to runt he main show for a minimum of 10 seasons. Fear will probably be on the air just as long and they have a third spin off in the works as well.

It's never going to end.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhyno posted:

AMC plans to runt he main show for a minimum of 10 seasons. Fear will probably be on the air just as long and they have a third spin off in the works as well.

It's never going to end.

We kinda passed the peak of the zombie craze already though. Like yeah TWD is popular but outside of AMC there's like 2-3 other zombie shows, tops. Like imagine Law & Order but if there were only like two other cop shows outside of the Law & Order universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

We kinda passed the peak of the zombie craze already though. Like yeah TWD is popular but outside of AMC there's like 2-3 other zombie shows, tops. Like imagine Law & Order but if there were only like two other cop shows outside of the Law & Order universe.

Every season of TWD seems to set a ratings record so I'd say the craze is still in full effect. This poo poo over Lexa? It's nothing. Imagine what's going to happen when Darryl dies.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
FTWD doesn't do as well as the main show but it was getting demo ratings in the 3s in its first season, which is still crazy good for cable. Unless the ratings crater for some reason it's gonna be on for a long time.

The 100 might get to Season 5 for syndication purposes, but after that? Eh.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

hcreight posted:

FTWD doesn't do as well as the main show but it was getting demo ratings in the 3s in its first season, which is still crazy good for cable. Unless the ratings crater for some reason it's gonna be on for a long time.

The 100 might get to Season 5 for syndication purposes, but after that? Eh.

You shut your dirty mouth. The 100 will last longer than The young and the Restless and Days of our Lives put together multiplied by The Simpsons. :colbert:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
The 100 will only end once our society is destroyed by an AI with nukes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bentacos posted:

The 100 will only end once our society is destroyed by an AI with nukes.

All of this has happened before...?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Of course not, actors aren't people! :downs:

I can also tell you that there are people who are lovely employees in all walks of life who bring their bosses wrath upon themselves, and they will tell everyone who will listen about THAT rear end in a top hat MANAGER WHO TREATS ME UNFAIRLY AND ALWAYS GIVES THE EASY TO WORK TO SHEILA AND MAKES ME STAY LATE AND LETS MIKE GO HOME EARLY AND ALSO I DON'T GET PAID ENOUGH AND CLEANING ISN'T IN MY JOB DESCRIPTION BUT THEY MAKE ME DO IT ANYWAY etc etc ad nauseum. It doesn't mean they're correct, especially if you know the whole story, which we don't here. The ratings aren't exactly "tanking" either and if they do drop that doesn't mean that killing off a recurring character caused that. Same as it is when Bad Employee gets fired and tells everyone how "NOW THAT I LEFT THAT PLACE WENT TO HELL" :rolleyes:

Ancecdotal example: my mom watches The 100 too, and I talk to her about it and Lexa's death wasn't even a blip. Now I know she'd be loving pissed if Daryl on Walking Dead died, but I can guarantee you she wouldn't stop watching. Lexa's death may not be as huge a deal in the viewers eyes as it is in the hardcore fan community.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's astounding how much Pike had singlehandedly killed my interest in this show.

Also Arkadia should be thankful that the grounders haven't figured out catapults

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Astroman posted:

Of course not, actors aren't people! :downs:

I can also tell you that there are people who are lovely employees in all walks of life who bring their bosses wrath upon themselves, and they will tell everyone who will listen about THAT rear end in a top hat MANAGER WHO TREATS ME UNFAIRLY AND ALWAYS GIVES THE EASY TO WORK TO SHEILA AND MAKES ME STAY LATE AND LETS MIKE GO HOME EARLY AND ALSO I DON'T GET PAID ENOUGH AND CLEANING ISN'T IN MY JOB DESCRIPTION BUT THEY MAKE ME DO IT ANYWAY etc etc ad nauseum. It doesn't mean they're correct, especially if you know the whole story, which we don't here. The ratings aren't exactly "tanking" either and if they do drop that doesn't mean that killing off a recurring character caused that. Same as it is when Bad Employee gets fired and tells everyone how "NOW THAT I LEFT THAT PLACE WENT TO HELL" :rolleyes:

Ancecdotal example: my mom watches The 100 too, and I talk to her about it and Lexa's death wasn't even a blip. Now I know she'd be loving pissed if Daryl on Walking Dead died, but I can guarantee you she wouldn't stop watching. Lexa's death may not be as huge a deal in the viewers eyes as it is in the hardcore fan community.

The ratings went to a series low the episode after Lexa died. And not even barely; Thursday's ratings were a 1.20. The next three lowest-rated episodes were 1.32, 1.34, and 1.36-- all within .02 points of each other, and then followed by a gulf that is six times that. By Nielsen standards, that is huge, especially considering the series's ratings aren't that great to begin with. "WELL THAT DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN--" No, it doesn't, but given the massive uproar and air of fan discontent surrounding the show that is still continuing well over a week after the incident in question, the evidence strongly loving implies it. I mean, you are going out of your way to postulate different possibilities as to why the building is on fire when there is a dude standing at the end of a trail of gas with an empty gas can and a burned out match right loving there. It's entirely possible that he didn't start the fire, but given the circumstances, I feel like he at least needs to be hauled in for questioning, don't you?

And again, this is not just one employee. Ricky is being the loudest because Ricky is out and has a new job now, but the dude is at a con with several other castmembers (who are allegedly all still on the show) and none of them are contradicting him in the slightest. Lindsey Morgan in particular has all but outright said she agrees with him. Jarrod Joseph (Miller) has strongly implied that he's racist; he said Rothenberg made him wear a beanie throughout season 1 "so the audience could tell him and Lincoln apart," when the only thing those characters have in common is that they're both brown. They don't even have similar faces! And then there was that official complaint letter filed by Isaiah Washington; sure, we don't know the exact contents, but given the context of everything else that has happened, I feel like we have enough evidence to hazard a loving guess.

In your example, there is one bad employee publicly badmouthing his former boss after he got fired; in this situation, there is one employee publicly badmouthing his former boss after he quit and then almost immediately got hired for a better job by a cooler, better, way more famous boss, while several other employees stand behind him quietly snickering and nodding at everything he says. Sure, it's entirely possible they're all bad employees. And it's possible that this cooler, better, more famous boss did not see how bad the bad employee was when he hired him. But given the evidence, and Occam's razor, I think it's way more likely that it's the old boss that's bad.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

If the whiney little bitch shippers end up getting this show canceled (which was a good show before their precious Lexa appeared!) I'll be pissed.

PS I liked Lexa's character and was sad she was killed off but I understand it was because the actress is no longer available because I can use the logics

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or is she no longer available because she knew she was going to be killed off?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I don't know about you guys, but I actually liked the way lexa died. It may be because I never seriously watched Buffy, but to me that death was kinda fresh and unexpected. I did not expect Titus to kill her.

I truly hope that things die down and people stop freaking out about this issue. If only people cared half as much about politics as they do about fictional people dying in a stupid (but good) show, we'd live in a better world.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Dalael posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I actually liked the way lexa died. It may be because I never seriously watched Buffy, but to me that death was kinda fresh and unexpected. I did not expect Titus to kill her.

I truly hope that things die down and people stop freaking out about this issue. If only people cared half as much about politics as they do about fictional people dying in a stupid (but good) show, we'd live in a better world.

the fundraiser they started for the Trevor project just broke 40k so I'd say some good has come out of it :) just imagine how happy the people running that foundation are gonna be!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Troposphere posted:

the fundraiser they started for the Trevor project just broke 40k so I'd say some good has come out of it :) just imagine how happy the people running that foundation are gonna be!

If it prevents even just 1 suicide, then it was all worth it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spergatory posted:

The ratings went to a series low the episode after Lexa died. And not even barely; Thursday's ratings were a 1.20. The next three lowest-rated episodes were 1.32, 1.34, and 1.36-- all within .02 points of each other, and then followed by a gulf that is six times that. By Nielsen standards, that is huge, especially considering the series's ratings aren't that great to begin with. "WELL THAT DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN--" No, it doesn't, but given the massive uproar and air of fan discontent surrounding the show that is still continuing well over a week after the incident in question, the evidence strongly loving implies it. I mean, you are going out of your way to postulate different possibilities as to why the building is on fire when there is a dude standing at the end of a trail of gas with an empty gas can and a burned out match right loving there. It's entirely possible that he didn't start the fire, but given the circumstances, I feel like he at least needs to be hauled in for questioning, don't you?

it was pre-empted by basketball. it would have been interesting to see the drop without that.

cbs and the cw were pre-empted. both had lower ratings than normal.

Azhais posted:

Or is she no longer available because she knew she was going to be killed off?

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 14, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fortunately, the behind the scenes drama is just about the least interesting thing about this show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spergatory posted:

At the end of the day Lexa was a guest actress playing a recurring character. No matter how much you might think she was awesome or important to Diversity in TV or whatever. There is a zero percent chance killing her off kills the show. No matter how much you may want that to be to prove whatever point you're trying to make.

A few weeks ago before LESBIAN BED DEATH everyone was lauding this show for being the most progressive on tv, with tons of black, Asian, gay, and female characters in lead and important roles. They played leaders, scientists, engineers, warriors, and nobody made a big deal out of it so it wasn't a gimmick. One character dies and now we need to fire the creator, hope the show is cancelled, crow because ratings are down, etc.

No matter what rumors are out there about the showrunner he was the one who created that environment. He was the one who led the diverse casting of the show, supervised writing women in leadership positions (2 out of the last 5 Chancellors were women, the two Commanders were women, Ice Nation's leader was a woman, etc). He cast a number of gay characters who gayness was a non-issue more than I've seen on any show, same with black and asian characters. But yeah, he's probably racist and a bully. :rolleyes:

It reminds me a lot of the OTT criticisms of Steven Moffat, the guy who made it canon and showed ON SCREEN that Time Lords can regenerate into different sexes but he's a horrible misogynist amirite?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Steven moffat does suck, yes

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Astroman posted:

It reminds me a lot of the OTT criticisms of Steven Moffat, the guy who made it canon and showed ON SCREEN that Time Lords can regenerate into different sexes but he's a horrible misogynist amirite?

I have no idea what this is about or who steven moffat is but ngl this sounds like some "no she's actually a 10000-year-old demon she just LOOKS like a sexy 12-year-old" level reasoning

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Monicro posted:

I have no idea what this is about or who steven moffat is but ngl this sounds like some "no she's actually a 10000-year-old demon she just LOOKS like a sexy 12-year-old" level reasoning

Plz don't shame demons for taking care of their skin itt tia.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
You're right I apologize

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Monicro posted:

it's even funnier because moffat has indeed said some really misogynistic things and sucks at writing women a whole lot

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like moffat isn't a great comparison point for what you're saying.

But yeah, people can do both good and bad things.

Anyway, thoughts wrt the last episode:

- I'm very interested in Raven and Jahas plot line
- still extremely frustrated by Pike and co
- Monty and Miller and even jasper are interesting characters back at the base and thank goodness because I need some character development to invest myself in
- Kane's plot was cool but you know, frustrating still
- can't wait to see how Clarke, Titus and my boy Murphy are doing
- Abby's absence was notable, considering she's one of the 4 chancellors in the base during a political crises and power struggle.
-rethinking it, I love how Arkadia was doing great for 3 months in between the season and now that pike rolled in he's put them back at the start of season 2, sure this is all pike knows, but surely the others can see that this isn't exactly a step forward.
-when are we going to run out of skaikru to kill?

Regarding show runner guy:
A lot of directors and people in those positions are really abusive and weird. Idk, maybe it's just the type of person the job attracts. It's not good though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A while back I asked why there was no outrage when Arrow killed off Sarah Lance in season 3. Well tonight I was told that since she banged Oliver her lesbianism "didn't count." But not she's alive again and 100% lesbian so she totally counts again.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Monicro posted:

Not really. People have been clamoring for the Doctor to regenerate into a woman since the 80s, and it was always shut down. Moffat was criticized for years as being a closet misogynist (though I feel he is closer to just tone deaf but well meaning). Moffat also is a superfan who uses his status as showrunner to canonize a lot of his personal theories and has wanted to be The One to do the big moments (50th, Final Regeneration, Multi-Doctor episodes). He ended up using this power to open the door fully to the possibility of the Doctor regenerating into a woman. First with an offhand comment about an offscreen Time Lord/Lady. Then regenerating the second biggest Time Lord character (the Master) into a woman. Then doing it again with another named Time Lord onscreen. Now it would be No Big Deal in universe to have a female Doctor.

Point being it's often simplistic to criticize a showrunner for surface stuff but you don't know what's really in their heart.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hcreight posted:

Yeah but it's a zombie show with no comic armour.

So she be loving dead at some point

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah but it's a zombie show with no comic armour.

So she be loving dead at some point

She's also part of the central family -- could be that they want to keep that Spielberg touch at the centre of the story, regardless of how badly that fits the gritty post-apocalypse tone. (See also: Falling Skies. Or, rather, don't).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's the Walking Dead. The central family in that had the son have to shoot the mother in the face after helping her give birth, and the father coming back later to kill the horribly bloated zombie that ate every single piece of her.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's the Walking Dead. The central family in that had the son have to shoot the mother in the face after helping her give birth, and the father coming back later to kill the horribly bloated zombie that ate every single piece of her.

Charming.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

hcreight posted:

I'm starting to wonder if The CW got a little too cocky with this "early renew everything" stunt.

That was not so much a show of faith in their current lineup, but a lack of faith in their pilot development.

CW will clean house next year. With the exception of Flash and final seasons for Arrow and Supernatural, I'd expect that everything else gets cancelled (perhaps Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex Girlfriend get renewed and moved to Friday if they continue to bring in awards).

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rhyno posted:

A while back I asked why there was no outrage when Arrow killed off Sarah Lance in season 3. Well tonight I was told that since she banged Oliver her lesbianism "didn't count." But not she's alive again and 100% lesbian so she totally counts again.

maybe because I don't know anyone who actually watches arrow

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I guess Bellamy is in full Us vs Them mode because after massacring an army there to protect them, this episode he executes 2 messengers for no reason as well. And then at the end of the episode, when Kane is sentenced to death for literally attempting to kidnap and deliver the chancellor to the enemy, a more than fair punishment if you actually support the nazi Pike, Bellamy suddenly has a crisis of conscience.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Like any good soldier he has difficulty pointing his gun at anything he hasn't de-humanised in his mind.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

I guess Bellamy is in full Us vs Them mode because after massacring an army there to protect them, this episode he executes 2 messengers for no reason as well. And then at the end of the episode, when Kane is sentenced to death for literally attempting to kidnap and deliver the chancellor to the enemy, a more than fair punishment if you actually support the nazi Pike, Bellamy suddenly has a crisis of conscience.

Yeah, it was bizarre. He's very poorly written this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

That was not so much a show of faith in their current lineup, but a lack of faith in their pilot development.

CW will clean house next year. With the exception of Flash and final seasons for Arrow and Supernatural, I'd expect that everything else gets cancelled (perhaps Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex Girlfriend get renewed and moved to Friday if they continue to bring in awards).

Would have thought they'd be trying to pad as much into their current lineup to push down Tribune's demands during the negotiation this year and get a better deal with Netflix/Hulu etc. since a show with a dedicated fanbase is arguably worth more if that show is still running.

CW is just weird.

• Locked thread