Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

El Disco posted:

How in the hell does that even work? FCS upgrades aren't supposed to change the dispersion. :psyduck:

They're talking about the module you can purchase down under the "Upgrades" tab, not the researchable one that many ships have.

It is, however, supposedly only -7% dispersion which, while nice, should not be radically affecting your hits on average. At least assuming that is exactly and all it does... not like Wargaming has been known to incorrectly or disingenuously label stuff in the past or anything.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
When you can send out a salvo only once every 30-40 seconds it makes sense to equip anything that might cause a shell to hit where it might have otherwise missed.

It doesn't cost that much, all things considered.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 13, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ever since the update I'm not able to join the battle until its 1 to 3 minutes into the round. Or maybe that was always the case and I just never noticed. Oh god, this machine can barely handle warships can it?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

They're talking about the module you can purchase down under the "Upgrades" tab, not the researchable one that many ships have.

It is, however, supposedly only -7% dispersion which, while nice, should not be radically affecting your hits on average. At least assuming that is exactly and all it does... not like Wargaming has been known to incorrectly or disingenuously label stuff in the past or anything.

Yeah, it confused me because the one you research is called FCS while the one you stick in the upgrade slot is called Artillery Plotting Room. I'm still surprised that the 7% is making such a huge difference on the Izumo. Wargaming loving things up so it has like double the effect on the Izumo would actually make more sense :v:

RandomPauI posted:

Ever since the update I'm not able to join the battle until its 1 to 3 minutes into the round. Or maybe that was always the case and I just never noticed. Oh god, this machine can barely handle warships can it?

Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed? If so, add the WoWS folder to the exception list.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So I heard soviet cruisers are now in the game. What are they like?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Magni posted:

It's looking like they will be broadly similar to the German cruisers - poorly armored but shooty with good range and velocity. Of course there are exceptions - the Tier X will probably be extremely rugged (for a cruiser) and has as much hp as a Nagato class battleship. Bigger guns than any other cruiser (220mm) and a healthy rate of fire. However, its almost as big as a Yamato, turns like a pregnant hippo and is spotted from something like 16km away. The Tier 8+ ships will have some kind of magic radar that spots all ships within like 10km for 30 seconds. American cruisers will probably also get this radar at the end-game tiers. The Tier V looks like it could be a great ship - 180mm guns in triple turrets, but the rate of fire is low.

I'm curious if anyone has heard rumors about the next season of ranked. Like specifically what tiers will be needed. All I have heard is that they may institute penalties for AFK/Suiciding ships, and reward people who have a great game but are on the losing side. The only tier 9 in my inventory is the Kagero, and id really like to sell it to free up some silver. I would be good to go if Tier X was finally involved - I have the Zao, Yamato, and now Shimakaze. Im considering plinking away at the US BB line, or German (even Russian) cruisers, but im kinda poor in terms of silver.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I really doubt Ranked will ever be higher than T8. I suspect Clan Wars, whenever that happens, may include the top tiers, but not Ranked.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Magni posted:

Here's a video of the tier X by PhlyDaily. Definitely some non-stellar gameplay but you can see it in action. 22.6km range with the +16% range upgrade. :stare:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's absolutely loving unreasonable how much his attempts to pronounce the name irritate me.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

El Disco posted:

Here's a video of the tier X by PhlyDaily. Definitely some non-stellar gameplay but you can see it in action. 22.6km range with the +16% range upgrade. :stare:

Also you can have radar and defensive fire at the same time, at least with the Moskva.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Soviet ships being well noted historically for their superior radar equipment and gunnery

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

Soviet ships being well noted historically for their superior radar equipment and gunnery

the american high tier CAs are getting surveillance radar too
so there's that

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Soviet cruisers being well known for the big role they played in the game's timeframe

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Reality being well known for being a vital component for fun.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ArchangeI posted:

Soviet cruisers being well known for the big role they played in the game's timeframe

Certainly a much bigger role than the Royal Navy, Marine Nationale, or Regia Marina, else they'd have been chosen first. Looking forward to the trees for the equally important People's Liberation Army Navy, which is surely due next.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 13, 2016

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

ArchangeI posted:

German cruisers being known for existing in some form whether real or on paper

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm starting to think that these battles I've been playing, each side containing ships from multiple nations (often in opposition to other ships of the SAME nation), may not have occurred in real life.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just looking at the Soviet cruisers in game, the tier 3 Bogatyr seems kinda promising, superficially. Got a really healthy amount of gun barrels sticking out of it, both primary and secondary. Might give the St. Lou a good fight over the throne of King Shell Vomit of Artillery Mountain for the lower tiers. Also it looks loving badass.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

James Garfield posted:

German cruisers being known for existing in some form whether real or on paper

Given that the Soviet cruiser line manages to have even more paper/non-existent ships than the German one, I'm not entirely sure what you're arguing here? Huge chunks of their DD line is paper as well - again even the Germans will probably have more actual ships in their DD tech tree.

I mean, the the third line of ships released should have been the Royal Navy regardless, but even the Germans had a more relevant navy than the Soviets.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

From what I saw, five Russian cruisers are real versus five German cruisers.

I'm not sure why everyone wants the Royal Navy so badly. Yes, the Russian navy wasn't especially relevant until the Cold War. But the Royal Navy was only relevant if you consider getting a whole bunch of ships sunk in every ocean across the globe relevance.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Minenfeld! posted:

But the Royal Navy was only relevant if you consider getting a whole bunch of ships sunk in every ocean across the globe relevance.

I don't know anything about history, and I'm not willing to learn :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Given the way Wargaming works, it's a small wonder the Tier X Russian Cruiser isn't getting SS-N-1s.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Lord Koth posted:

Given that the Soviet cruiser line manages to have even more paper/non-existent ships than the German one, I'm not entirely sure what you're arguing here? Huge chunks of their DD line is paper as well - again even the Germans will probably have more actual ships in their DD tech tree.

I mean, the the third line of ships released should have been the Royal Navy regardless, but even the Germans had a more relevant navy than the Soviets.

I am pretty sure all the Soviet cruisers are at least real paper designs; the German tier 9 and 10 are entirely designed by Wargaming. It wouldn't be that annoying, except they prioritized Wargaming-designed ships over ships that actually existed and the fictional German ships are super generic and boring.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

James Garfield posted:

I am pretty sure all the Soviet cruisers are at least real paper designs; the German tier 9 and 10 are entirely designed by Wargaming. It wouldn't be that annoying, except they prioritized Wargaming-designed ships over ships that actually existed and the fictional German ships are super generic and boring.

The Roon is actually pretty cool, I feel like it's different than the other high-tier cruisers (both in good and bad ways). No opinion on the Hindenburg though.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Given the way Wargaming works, it's a small wonder the Tier X Russian Cruiser isn't getting SS-N-1s.

Krogort posted:

Obviously Aircraft Carrier > all because.
Can't wait to see stronk russian carrier Kuznetsov carrying wings of X-Wings and spewing Granit ASM missiles.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I don't really get the whole "complaining about ship lines not being realistic" thing. Ship lines and tiers in and of themselves are not realistic.

Also, a real warship simulator would not be much fun to play. I'd rather not have to perform fire control calculus on one of these:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

ALSO it's enjoyable to see everyone pine for RN battleships since the easiest retort is that most of their line was known for getting their poo poo pushed in across the globe in the latter century.

(Do WoWS players really want to play another Izumo-type battleship? 'Cuz here's the Nelson class for you!)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
How successful they were or weren't is completely loving irrelevant, I want them because I'm a shameless anglophile and think their military stuff is really rad. Which is all that matters because this is a goddamn videogame.

Also that ship looks badass as hell.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

French would be better. It's a crying shame the French haven't been added.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I wish they'd put the Ise class in, aircraft carrier upgrades and all.

Also I have no idea why I'm doing so much better with the tier VI BBs than I ever did with tier V and lower.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I would support the French being added solely for the Le Fantasque-class.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nordick posted:

Also that ship looks badass as hell.

Save for the fact that the entire thing looks like one huge citadel, sure. I think the only thing that *wouldn't* be a citadel hitbox would be the fo'c'sle.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Pacra posted:

ALSO it's enjoyable to see everyone pine for RN battleships since the easiest retort is that most of their line was known for getting their poo poo pushed in across the globe in the latter century.

(Do WoWS players really want to play another Izumo-type battleship? 'Cuz here's the Nelson class for you!)

Whats wrong with that? It would actually be the most armored and hated bb in the game. Just because it fires all guns forward and pointing your nose at things makes it difficult for the ship to collect hits itself.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Whats wrong with that? It would actually be the most armored and hated bb in the game. Just because it fires all guns forward and pointing your nose at things makes it difficult for the ship to collect hits itself.

#3 battery is recessed - only two would fire forward simultaneously - you'd need to succumb to Colorado Syndrome to bring all three to bear, but it'd be easier to 'serpentine' back and forth.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

#3 battery is recessed - only two would fire forward simultaneously - you'd need to succumb to Colorado Syndrome to bring all three to bear, but it'd be easier to 'serpentine' back and forth.

Right, I didn't mean dead forward, but since it points forward already, you can dance the nose and keep all 3 turrets going. Meanwhile, your profile is horrible to shoot back at.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

All I can think about when you say 'serpentine' is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpNU3WumPFQ

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 14, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Save for the fact that the entire thing looks like one huge citadel, sure. I think the only thing that *wouldn't* be a citadel hitbox would be the fo'c'sle.

Nahh, actually the citadel is an unusually short fraction of the waterline. Short enough that the USN had no idea how they made the ship work because they considered armoring a certain fraction of the waterline essential.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Nahh, actually the citadel is an unusually short fraction of the waterline. Short enough that the USN had no idea how they made the ship work because they considered armoring a certain fraction of the waterline essential.

If its citadel and heavily armored portions are so small, German cruisers are going to turn that thing into mincemeat. German AP does very nasty things to thin armor on BBs.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

xthetenth posted:

I'm assuming that fraction is part of the "armored raft" concept (that the citadel section can keep the ship afloat even if everything else is flooded)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm surprised Wargaming doesn't look into the concept of the Tillman Battleships, or "Maximum Battleships"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_battleship

They were concept ships designed with no regard to treaty or cost, only technological limitation and the width of the locks of the Panama Canal.