Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Michaellaneous posted:

I am still running Yosemite since I heard so many bad things about El Cap. I'm running a late 2013 Retina Macbook and I was wondering...should I upgrade? What's the worst that could happen?

What "bad things" have you heard? It's been working great on my early 2014 Air since day one, with the exception of some Office 2016 crash bugs that got sorted out after a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Microsoft Office apparently had issues, but I think they've worked those out. I have had zero problems with my ancient copy of Office 2011.

Safari can lag on my 2011 Mac Mini. But everything ran as well, if not faster, on my 2013 MBP.

Disk Utility sucks in El Capt. I miss old Disk Utility.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I had to turn off the fancy UI bits in Yosemite on my 2011 Mac mini to get the UI fluid. It runs fine with everything turned back on in El Cap.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Michaellaneous posted:

I am still running Yosemite since I heard so many bad things about El Cap. I'm running a late 2013 Retina Macbook and I was wondering...should I upgrade? What's the worst that could happen?

It's Fine

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

Unless you're using an external sound card (gently caress you Avid) you should upgrade to ElCap, it's wayyyy faster

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So I did the upgrade. The things I heard that it made some macs really slow, especially on bootup.
Gotta say, nothing of that sort happened here. So far everything is smooth - not really happy with the new desktop overview, but eh...that's just a matter of time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oh, so in Mac software news Intuit sold Quicken to some firm, and the buyers have said they'll actually put developers on to make Mac Quicken more feature complete like the Windows version.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

No issues here either

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Michaellaneous posted:

So I did the upgrade. The things I heard that it made some macs really slow, especially on bootup.
Gotta say, nothing of that sort happened here. So far everything is smooth - not really happy with the new desktop overview, but eh...that's just a matter of time.

Didn't they just change the "group by application" setting's default? You can change it back in System Preferences.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Only thing that might be El Cap related issue for me is having to force crash Safari when it completely kills my machine (takes about 10 minutes). My personal feeling is that it's Facebook misbehaving, and the fact I have a ton of tabs open probably isn't helping matters. It never did it before though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Anyone having issues with "application passwords" if you're using TFA with your iCloud account?

I've had alerts pop up for both Fantastical and Airmail. It's intermittent, so I'm guessing it's an issue with Apple's back-end.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Umm is safari crashing like mad for anyone in the last few hours !??

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can't say it is, on any of my Macs (all up to date)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it's gone now. That was weird.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Maybe the auto complete crashing thing again?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What's the best practice for avoiding the in use popup when ejecting an external HDD? I used to be able to just eject both partitions (one is an external drive, the other is a time machine partition), but now I have to kill mds every time.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mds is the Spotlight indexer. It's probably trying to index your external drives. If you do want that, plug it in overnight and let it finish. If you don't, you could add the external partition to the ignore list in Spotlight's preferences.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

mds is the Spotlight indexer. It's probably trying to index your external drives. If you do want that, plug it in overnight and let it finish. If you don't, you could add the external partition to the ignore list in Spotlight's preferences.

This happens after it's been plugged in for like five days straight or half an hour. Spotlight just never stops, and I do want the indexing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

This happens after it's been plugged in for like five days straight or half an hour. Spotlight just never stops, and I do want the indexing.
Might be choking on something, in which case I'm not sure what the fixes are other than reindexing I guess. I think adding to exclusions then removing will do it, otherwise there's a bunch of CLI methods.

What format is the drive? I vaguely recall that mds can choke on some formats, like NTFS cause it doesn't have write access or something.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I just force eject when that happens :shrug:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

Might be choking on something, in which case I'm not sure what the fixes are other than reindexing I guess. I think adding to exclusions then removing will do it, otherwise there's a bunch of CLI methods.

What format is the drive? I vaguely recall that mds can choke on some formats, like NTFS cause it doesn't have write access or something.

HFS. I'll just reindex tonight.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
This could either be a hardware or software question, not really sure, so here goes:

I have the only modern Mac Mini that ever included a dedicated GPU, the upgraded 2011 model with a Radeon 6630M. Divinity: Original Sin EE is running like hot garbage on it, even though everything is set to low. The minimum requirements are for an Intel HD 4000, which seems to have substantially worse performance than the Radeon. Hypothetically, my mini also has an Intel HD 3000 GPU built into the CPU, and if the game was using it and not the Radeon it would explain why it's running at sub-15FPS at all times. However, the System Information app in OS X does even list the integrated GPU as present in the system. My next thought was gfxCardStatus, but it (artificially?) refuses to run on non-Macbook Pros. Is what I'm suspecting is happening even a possibility? If so, how can I find out?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

HFS. I'll just reindex tonight.
One other thing, although hell if I know if there's anything there, check console to see if it's choking on something in particular. And I guess do general Disk Utility drive check and stuff.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

cbirdsong posted:

This could either be a hardware or software question, not really sure, so here goes:

I have the only modern Mac Mini that ever included a dedicated GPU, the upgraded 2011 model with a Radeon 6630M. Divinity: Original Sin EE is running like hot garbage on it, even though everything is set to low. The minimum requirements are for an Intel HD 4000, which seems to have substantially worse performance than the Radeon. Hypothetically, my mini also has an Intel HD 3000 GPU built into the CPU, and if the game was using it and not the Radeon it would explain why it's running at sub-15FPS at all times. However, the System Information app in OS X does even list the integrated GPU as present in the system. My next thought was gfxCardStatus, but it (artificially?) refuses to run on non-Macbook Pros. Is what I'm suspecting is happening even a possibility? If so, how can I find out?

I kinda doubt they included the extra chip allowing a Mac to dynamically switch between GPUs on the Mini. There's no reason to since the Mini doesn't need to switch to the lowest possible power GPU to save battery life. That'd also be why the HD 3000 isn't showing in System Information. It probably isn't even connected to a video output path, the firmware disables it before OS X even boots, and therefore it doesn't show up at all.

If you gotta know, install "OpenGL Extensions Viewer" from the Mac App Store. It's a free utility for developers and will show you a popup menu letting you select and query the capabilities of each available GL renderer in the system. On my dual GPU rMBP I get three, the NVidia 750, Iris Pro, and Apple's software rasterizer. You should get two.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
I feel like I'm just forgetting how this works, so apologies in advance.

So, I've got Mavericks on my Pro currently. Seems to work fine, besides a few beach-balls here and there and some random slowdowns in Safari.

My problem is that I can't remember what the breakdown is before an older operating system is no longer supported by Apple. I want to say it's 2 or 3 removed from the newest operating system, but I'm just not sure. If that's the case, I'll probably want to be looking at getting to El Capitan (since Yosemite was... troublesome I've heard) and it's also the most recent.

So yeah, am I remembering it right or do I have something incorrect?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Seiyal posted:

I feel like I'm just forgetting how this works, so apologies in advance.

So, I've got Mavericks on my Pro currently. Seems to work fine, besides a few beach-balls here and there and some random slowdowns in Safari.

My problem is that I can't remember what the breakdown is before an older operating system is no longer supported by Apple. I want to say it's 2 or 3 removed from the newest operating system, but I'm just not sure. If that's the case, I'll probably want to be looking at getting to El Capitan (since Yosemite was... troublesome I've heard) and it's also the most recent.

So yeah, am I remembering it right or do I have something incorrect?

I don't think they've ever announced a formal policy but supporting N-1 and N-2 with security patches etc. generally seems to be Apple's pattern.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

BobHoward posted:

I don't think they've ever announced a formal policy but supporting N-1 and N-2 with security patches etc. generally seems to be Apple's pattern.

Ah so I should be okay for the moment but I'll need to keep an eye out down the line it seems. Thank you for the heads-up.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Seiyal posted:

Ah so I should be okay for the moment but I'll need to keep an eye out down the line it seems. Thank you for the heads-up.

El Capitan is pretty nice though, unless there's a requirement to stick to Mavericks why not upgrade now?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
So does that mean I should stick Linux on my mom's Macbook because it can't run anything higher than Lion due to the GMA hardware? And even then, it allegedly won't run Lion all that well with the 1GB of RAM it has, that can only be upgraded to 2.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

squirrelzipper posted:

El Capitan is pretty nice though, unless there's a requirement to stick to Mavericks why not upgrade now?

I'm just a bit partial to the look of Mavericks and I know the redesign kicked in for Yosemite/El Capitan. Plus, I figure if I'm going to be switching up to a newer OS, I might finally upgrade my Hard Drive to either a hybrid or a SSD, depending on pricing and sizes. So it's sort of a big jump if I look at it that way.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Seiyal posted:

I'm just a bit partial to the look of Mavericks and I know the redesign kicked in for Yosemite/El Capitan. Plus, I figure if I'm going to be switching up to a newer OS, I might finally upgrade my Hard Drive to either a hybrid or a SSD, depending on pricing and sizes. So it's sort of a big jump if I look at it that way.

Either way, El Capitan fixes a lot of the issues that Yosemite introduced, mostly relating to interface lag. El Capitans main issues were with Office(which were fixed) and a bunch of pro audio hardware, which were mostly fixed with driver updates(lol if your pro audio machine isn't frozen in time tbh)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

kuroshi posted:

So does that mean I should stick Linux on my mom's Macbook because it can't run anything higher than Lion due to the GMA hardware? And even then, it allegedly won't run Lion all that well with the 1GB of RAM it has, that can only be upgraded to 2.

Might be worth considering this build of Chrome OS - http://www.neverware.com/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dubstep Jesus posted:

a bunch of pro audio hardware, which were mostly fixed with driver updates(lol if your pro audio machine isn't frozen in time tbh)

:qq:

Avid whyyyyy

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Can I record using the headphone jack on the 2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13"? I have an insturment that does stereo out on a 3.5mm jack and I'm looking to record audio with it if possible

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah but you'd need a TRRS Y-splitter and IMO it'd just be easier to get a USB sound card at that point.

edit: Something like this: http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/4-pole-trrs-to-35mm-stereo-mic-adapter-male-to-2x-female.html
If you're going to go with the TRRS splitter, be careful, because it seems like most of the ones I found with a quick search actually just duplicate, you know, like 1 TRRS to 2 TRRS

Pivo fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 13, 2016

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I keep one of these around for just that: http://amzn.com/B003Y5D776

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Sweet thanks guys :)

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hi everyone, I tried to upgrade BootCamp to Windows 10, but the computer needed to reboot a few times before doing the whole upgrade thing. However, I had my computer set to OS X as the restart disk and now I can't boot into Boot Camp at all. When I hold Option on start up, it shows me OS X and Recovery. OS X launches OS X as normal, Recovery never loads at all. Boot Camp itself doesn't appear anymore. I see the Boot Camp partition through Finder, but I can't boot into it.

Is there anyway to fix this multitude of issues or should I just cut my losses and install Windows 10 fresh on a new Boot Camp partition?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hi everyone, I tried to upgrade BootCamp to Windows 10, but the computer needed to reboot a few times before doing the whole upgrade thing. However, I had my computer set to OS X as the restart disk and now I can't boot into Boot Camp at all. When I hold Option on start up, it shows me OS X and Recovery. OS X launches OS X as normal, Recovery never loads at all. Boot Camp itself doesn't appear anymore. I see the Boot Camp partition through Finder, but I can't boot into it.

Is there anyway to fix this multitude of issues or should I just cut my losses and install Windows 10 fresh on a new Boot Camp partition?

Maybe load the Windows 10 installation on a thumb drive and try a repair install on the partition? Not sure if that'll work for you though, and you'll need access to another Windows computer to create the media. You can download the install files using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Roargasm posted:

Can I record using the headphone jack on the 2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13"? I have an insturment that does stereo out on a 3.5mm jack and I'm looking to record audio with it if possible
I think it works for input by itself without extra hardware, from searching around there should be a drop down in the sound prefs that switches the jack from output to input.