Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, the senate deadlines have yet to be passed. Its why I always bring up the possibility of Rubio admitting defeat and pulling a Rand. Course that would take him out of the running in a contested convention. For some reason Carson looks like he'll be endorsing Trump tomorrow (it can't all be because he hates Cruz, right?) so maybe he's positioning himself for the Florida run he's currently avowing. I think he'd be an "okay" candidate in the fall though Murphy would be particularly well suited to beating him.

As much as Florida holds its primaries late PA holds its early, a little over a month from now. If McGuinty were to do what everyone but me here is saying she will and beat Sestak, now is the time for her to start the ad blitz. As is she's only running introductory spots and Sestak maintains his small advantage over her (with most voters undecided, as usual) due to name recognition and previous good will from the electorate.

The Florida Senate deadline is May 5. Rubio already said he won't run even if he drops out from the Presidential race. It wouldn't be unusual for a politician to change their mind about such a pledge, but then again Marco does hate his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't get why he does though, he cut his teeth being an obstructionist leader in Florida's legislature.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't get why he does though, he cut his teeth being an obstructionist leader in Florida's legislature.

Florida's legislature isn't like the US Senate where he's among the most junior members and has to do all that dumb voting on things affecting the rest of the nation which isn't politically advantageous to him. Plus, it's way harder to get some sweet graft going on the Federal level compared to the free credit cards and various beak wetting he surely got as a leader in the Florida Legislature. Being the governor of Florida with a the dumbass Florida Legislature controlled by your party is pretty tits compared to either. poo poo, you can go and make hundreds of thousands of people have to take drug tests when you own the place they're most likely to take those drug tests and swear there's no conflict of interest. You sold all your stock in that company.*

*To your wife

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

*To your wife

And boy, wouldn't it just have been swell if she had filed for divorce AND citizenship through the investor visa which she could now afford?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My Imaginary GF posted:

And boy, wouldn't it just have been swell if she had filed for divorce AND citizenship through the investor visa which she could now afford?

I'm sure she knows better than anyone the horrible possibilities of crossing Rick Scott.

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

I think most recent polls have actually shown her ahead, or at least narrowly leading, though Van Hollen is running a far superior campaign. Its a real shame.

Just wondering, could you explain why you think Van Hollen's been running a superior campaign? I'm a former Baltimore local who's been out of the state for six years, and I haven't really been following the election, so I'm just curious

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Suckthemonkey posted:

Just wondering, could you explain why you think Van Hollen's been running a superior campaign? I'm a former Baltimore local who's been out of the state for six years, and I haven't really been following the election, so I'm just curious

He's been raising more money, getting more endorsements and, IIRC was the first one on the air. Edwards really seems to be falling back on identity issues as her justification for being senator while Van Hollen talks more about policy. Mikulski had a lot of clout and will be tough to replace. I think Van Hollen is more likely to be a doer and leader in the senate than Edwards. Its pretty telling that even the black political community is not entirely satisfied with Edwards- the congressional CBC refused to endorse her over Van Hollen because so many black pols are backing him. She just has Emily's List.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Would van Hollen make a good senate majority leader? Reid-level?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe, that would be decades off though since he has no seniority.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
If the Democrats win back the Senate, the new majority leader would be Schumer over Durbin, right? Any reason to believe one would be more effective than the other?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JesusSinfulHands posted:

If the Democrats win back the Senate, the new majority leader would be Schumer over Durbin, right? Any reason to believe one would be more effective than the other?

The more pertinent point is that neither will be as effective as Reid.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JesusSinfulHands posted:

In all likelihood yes. Schumer seems effective, though I suspect that SA wouldn't be entirely happy with him. Being effective means cutting deals, after-all. About all I can say about Durbin is that Chuck outmaneuvered him so ehh...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Schumer will at least be entertaining. If you want a guy who's going to spend all day trolling Republicans for the media, Chuck's your guy.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Schumer will at least be entertaining. If you want a guy who's going to spend all day trolling Republicans for the media, Chuck's your guy.

Even more than Reid? :getin:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Joementum posted:

Well, he will spend all day trolling. But not only Republicans.

source

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

GalacticAcid posted:

Well, he will spend all day trolling. But not only Republicans.

source

I like him already.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Bernice Anders posted:

I like him already.

I enjoy his disposition but he's been unsupportive or hostile towards some critical liberal victories during Pax Obummer ~ most notably PPACA (he voted for it of course but later complained that it was poor timing and primarily benefitted people who don't vote lol) and the Iran Deal (which he announced his opposition to, but didn't campaign for other Democrats to join him in opposition).

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
All you need to know about Chuck Schumer can be summed up from this NYT article when he was roommates with several other members of Congress.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/18/garden/18roomies.html?_r=0

quote:

“I once had to pick up a mouse by the tail that Durbin refused to pick up,” complained Senator Charles E. Schumer of New York, referring to his roommate Senator Richard J. Durbin of Illinois.

quote:

In fact, the roommates have never resorted to violence, at least with one another. (Crickets are another story.) Their weapons are verbal, and often aimed at Mr. Schumer, who admits to a serious dereliction of roommate duties, like grocery shopping. He is also prone to a blatant disregard for conserving a most precious household resource, cereal.

“I love cereal,” Mr. Schumer said, digging into his second bowl of granola, going a long way toward depleting a box that Mr. Miller had just purchased.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/17/us/after-decades-lawmakers-are-roommates-no-more.html?_r=0

quote:

The younger Mr. Gejdenson offered to let the senators stay, but was going to charge them closer to market rent — they currently pay about $800 a month — and there was talk of bringing in new roommates.

“That was the most worrisome part,” Mr. Durbin said. “Getting used to a new roommate.”

A new roommate might have had trouble adjusting to the habits of the household. “They have no discipline,” Mr. Miller said of Mr. Schumer and Mr. Durbin. “They don’t pick up after themselves.”

quote:

They trotted out well-worn anecdotes about Mr. Durbin, who killed the most rats in the house, and Mr. Schumer, known for trailing food crumbs behind him.

Chuck Schumer: slob roommate, eats all the cereal, not fit for Leader

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
hahaha, that's amazing. And it reminds me of Alpha House, which is a must-watch for politics junkie goons.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Spatula City posted:

hahaha, that's amazing. And it reminds me of Alpha House, which is a must-watch for politics junkie goons.

Alpha House and Veep are much more realistic depictions of national politics than House of Cards will ever be

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Spatula City posted:

That's probably because Alpha House was based on them. Or at least the premise was.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

My Imaginary GF posted:

Alpha House and Veep are much more realistic depictions of national politics than House of Cards will ever be

House of Cards, beyond its zany subplots and intricate idiocies, ultimately rests on too outlandish a premise to even give the show a second thought:

A Democratic Senator from South Carolina

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

GalacticAcid posted:

House of Cards, beyond its zany subplots and intricate idiocies, ultimately rests on too outlandish a premise to even give the show a second thought:

He was a congressman.
:goonsay:

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Is there a good website for information about down-ticket primaries? I'm cram studying my options for the democratic senate and representative primaries in Ohio but googling each candidate for their campaign page and news articles about them is time consuming.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GalacticAcid posted:

IF THE SENATOR WERE RUNNING ON TRUMP'S PLATFORM, BY GOD, WE'D HAVE THE SOLID SOUTH BACK AS THE SOLID DEMOCRATIC SOUTH

unfortunately, dixiecrats too loving unwilling to ride the trump wave and win us back our goddamn awesome majority

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Somebody's doin' the rapin', I do declayuh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Concerned Citizen posted:

All you need to know about Chuck Schumer can be summed up from this NYT article when he was roommates with several other members of Congress.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/18/garden/18roomies.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/17/us/after-decades-lawmakers-are-roommates-no-more.html?_r=0

Chuck Schumer: slob roommate, eats all the cereal, not fit for Leader

I'm more stunned by the fact that senators have goddamn rats in their apartment. :stonk:
There's a Democrats joke to be made there, I know

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Yadoppsi posted:

Is there a good website for information about down-ticket primaries? I'm cram studying my options for the democratic senate and representative primaries in Ohio but googling each candidate for their campaign page and news articles about them is time consuming.

Guess not. Every state level primary I can vote in is uncontested. There isn't even a democrat running against my state senator, but he's pro-labor with union backing and voted against SB5 so that's not too bad. The race for US senator on the Dem side is so unappealing. Strickland is projected to win tomorrow and in the general, but he's a has-been and his record is a lot more blue dog than he'd like to admit to. Settenfeld's an upstart that makes the right noises but his big issue is gun-control and that's not gonna fly in the Ohio general. Plus there are rumors the Cincinnati machines are propping him up to weaken Strickland against Portland. I'm just going to throw my vote away on the Black Lives Matter activist.

Anyone else voting in the Dem Senate primaries this Super Tuesday? How are your candidates?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm more stunned by the fact that senators have goddamn rats in their apartment. :stonk:
There's a Democrats joke to be made there, I know

Schumer isn't very rich by Senate standards. It's somewhere in the $700k range I believe. Still gonna get those rats.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Tammy Duckworth is officially the Democratic candidate for IL-Sen. Now onto the real question:

:qq:Why won't she stand up for are troops?!?:qq:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

Trolling them in the media and then voting the same way they do on economic issues.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Franco Potente posted:

Tammy Duckworth is officially the Democratic candidate for IL-Sen. Now onto the real question:

:qq:Why won't she stand up for are troops?!?:qq:

Because the GOPe just can't seem to cut the legs from under her campaign.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kirk just said he'd meet with Garland

It begins :unsmigghh:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Kirk just said he'd meet with Garland

It begins :unsmigghh:

Kirk is losing his seat anyway, so this is his last-ditch attempt to stop Duckworth from taking it.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Deborah Ross has won the Dem primary for NC-Sen. Couldn't find much info on her. Will she have any chance against Burr? Will the gov. race help her at all?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Someone apparently needs to sit Toomey down and explain the difference between subtext and bold text. How can you possibly think that's a good idea to tweet out?

Totally fine with this nominee, great guy, would vote, but gently caress Obama. Vote for me, I'm reasonable!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently McConnell already called up the guy just to say the Senate is taking no action on his nomination

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Holy loving poo poo.

What on earth makes you think it's appropriate to say this :psyduck: If he doesn't retract it, McGinty/whoever will kneecap him with it for the rest of the election season. Refusing to consider the sitting President's SCOTUS nominee because it happens to be the last year of his term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
She already included the tweet in a fundraising email haha.

• Locked thread