Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
New armor for sale. Death Knight Armor. Additional 100% soul, gold, and experience points. Only $49.99! Cannot be purchased with gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

gromdul posted:

New armor for sale. Death Knight Armor. Additional 100% soul, gold, and experience points. Only $49.99! Cannot be purchased with gems.

:lol::lol::lol:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did they cap the number of souls earned per battle and I missed it?

I went back to using my Valkyrie soul-farming set-up for the new story quests, and keep getting exactly 90 souls.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
They have always been capped, or at least as long as I have been playing.

Double gold this weekend to make it easier to level the two new kingdoms.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
So what attack teams are you guys running after the update. I'm sorely tempted to build one using my hero again, just to be able to use the Burning Scythe.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Did they cap the number of souls earned per battle and I missed it?

I went back to using my Valkyrie soul-farming set-up for the new story quests, and keep getting exactly 90 souls.

There's been a cap for as long as I've been using the team. It scales with difficulty. At warlord 2 it's 110 souls. Gold is capped as well.

fake edit;fb

porktree posted:

So what attack teams are you guys running after the update. I'm sorely tempted to build one using my hero again, just to be able to use the Burning Scythe.

I'm working on unlocking all the classes. I'm ~lvl 190, so I have lots of nice weapons. I wish I had Sheggra for a Spark Rocket Broken Spire team. No Zaejin hero, unfortunately. Goblin/Marauder hero would be an easy choice. I think Broken Spire can make a decent Giant squad, and can focus on anti-goblin; good for PVP or defense. Swords Edge/Knight could work too. Knight Coronet makes a solid tank with Leader and reduced skull damage.

I threw Keeper of Souls on my Goblin PVP team instead of Goblin Shaman. I lose some bonuses, but it's fun to switch things up, and Necromancy gives me a couple more souls. I should try it with Valkyrie for double Necromancy.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Unlike the last double gold weekend, this one doesn't work on treasure maps. So sad.

Also, either I have been facing a lot of people with a lot of 5-star kingdoms, or the bonus you get from ascending/leveling to mythic/20 is bonkers. My Valkyrie has 24 armor and 19 life, but the mythic versions I encounter in PVP have like 36 and 33. poo poo's nuts, yo.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

do we have a guild for this? i didnt see anything in the op. also what do guilds do?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Kly posted:

do we have a guild for this? i didnt see anything in the op. also what do guilds do?

Several - they give you bonuses and extra things like gems, keys and maps. Whats your game name I'll invite to Gem Boiz.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
God drat. PVP is like 100x harder now. At least from a not yet mythic level Goblin team perspective. Everything has 100+ health and starts with its mana full.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Jibo posted:

God drat. PVP is like 100x harder now. At least from a not yet mythic level Goblin team perspective. Everything has 100+ health and starts with its mana full.

It's posts like this that make me glad I'm only level 95 with a random assortment of non-synergistic legendaries.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Jibo posted:

Yeah it is pretty rough now unless you've whaled enough to get fully traited mythics. I must admit that there are a lot of viable teams now, if you have the traitstones. I've been thoroughly demolished by dragons, divines, daemons, goblins, giants, and teams built around various hero classes. It is better than 90% of teams being goblins, True Shot + skeleton, or Bone Dragon/Sheggra.

I hope they fix the bug with hero class +magic in the arena when they go back to work Monday. I'll stick to arena once AOE weapons are not two-shotting 3/4 of my team at once. The payout is pretty good now, in both gold and souls.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The old standby of Treant/Alchemist/Valkyrie/Banshee holds up really really well in 1.0.9. Your absolute priority should be getting Treant's Stoneskin trait. Dust Devil hasn't started appearing in force in the PVP meta just yet (except for one 3x Celestasia + Dust Devil team :argh:), so having a Stoneskin tank up front makes the PVP experience radically simpler.

Edit: Bone Dragon is just death against control teams. The legendary trait gives frozen to anything that does skull damage. I am glad that very few people have started using Bone Dragon as a leading troop.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 13, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Grundulum posted:

The old standby of Treant/Alchemist/Valkyrie/Banshee holds up really really well in 1.0.9. Your absolute priority should be getting Treant's Stoneskin trait. Dust Devil hasn't started appearing in force in the PVP meta just yet (except for one 3x Celestasia + Dust Devil team :argh:), so having a Stoneskin tank up front makes the PVP experience radically simpler.
Yeah, I have to go back to that now that they nerfed Giant Spider. I don't know where I will get the stones or souls considering how much trouble I have even doing lovely quests though.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

grrarg posted:

I hope they fix the bug with hero class +magic in the arena when they go back to work Monday. I'll stick to arena once AOE weapons are not two-shotting 3/4 of my team at once. The payout is pretty good now, in both gold and souls.

I got the impression from somewhere that arena payouts weren't supposed to take armor and VIP bonuses into account. The devs maybe said that this would stop in 2.0 once they get difficulty working like they intended it to in 1.0.9?

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, I have to go back to that now that they nerfed Giant Spider. I don't know where I will get the stones or souls considering how much trouble I have even doing lovely quests though.

If you can't afford Treant's Stoneskin (and those three Arcane stones were a bitch and a half to get), Golem has Stoneskin as its second trait. You don't get the color coverage you would with Treant, but at least you have something that can take a pounding occupying your leading slot.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

T/A/V/B is really good. Banshee's spell consistently hits for 20+ after the patch buff.

We were laughing at the idea of that cash-only armor, but they must be selling pretty well. I've seen at least 5 different heroes wearing it.

Grundulum posted:

I got the impression from somewhere that arena payouts weren't supposed to take armor and VIP bonuses into account. The devs maybe said that this would stop in 2.0 once they get difficulty working like they intended it to in 1.0.9?
I don't know. If that's the case, all the more reason to stick to Arena until the next patch.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 13, 2016

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
I'd like an invite as well please, name is SAM HALL

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
so that one card that hits an enemy for like 4 damage plus however much armor he currently has is a loving early game monster now

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I don't know if I'm stupid but I really love my rock worm team I have going. What class is the best to make my main character that would work well with a rock work prismatic orb team? Would you trade out prismatic orb for something else?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

funkmeister posted:

I'd like an invite as well please, name is SAM HALL
Invited to Gem Blossums.

Tony Homo posted:

I don't know if I'm stupid but I really love my rock worm team I have going. What class is the best to make my main character that would work well with a rock work prismatic orb team? Would you trade out prismatic orb for something else?
Warden would work best. Unlock the class by finishing the Maugrim Woods quest line. The class gives +20 Brown mastery which means more mana surges to fill your worms. Prismatic Orb would be fine. Suck up all the other colors then turn it into brown for the worms. The +magic for wielding a brown weapon would kick in and make the orb give a significant chunk of armor. Only weakness would be enemies that poison or deal true damage.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

duckfarts posted:

so that one card that hits an enemy for like 4 damage plus however much armor he currently has is a loving early game monster now

Paladin and Bul'Tauros both have damage that scales based on their armor/life, respectively. Shadow-Hunter's damage scales off of total enemy life. All three are quite capable of one-shotting a troop in the current high-armor, high-life environment of 1.0.9. I speak from disappointing experience here.

It's pretty exciting that there are so many troops in 1.0.9 that have the "focus fire on this bastard" tag.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Grave Knight strips all armor from one enemy.

Blade Dancer is another strong troop. Its damage is randomly split and boosted by ALL enemy armor. It can hit four troops for around 20 damage each if their armor has not been touched yet. You can make a pretty strong Wildfolk team that covers all colors with Blade Dancer, Shadow Hunter, Ragnagord, and whichever other Wildfolk you like. Ragnagord is red/brown and explodes gems to fill up the rest of the team like a mini-Gorgotha.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Could I get an invite too, please? WALLACE 17 is my code

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Oenis posted:

Could I get an invite too, please? WALLACE 17 is my code

Invite sent to Gem Blossums. Welcome aboard.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

porktree posted:

Several - they give you bonuses and extra things like gems, keys and maps. Whats your game name I'll invite to Gem Boiz.

SaltySteve

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
so grrarg posted about this game over the steam thread, and mentioned a goon guild - so my invite code is ZETSUBOU-SAN

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Invited to Gem Blossums. I consider Operation Spam Steam Thread a success with several new people for both of the guilds. More people to contribute to and benefit from guild tasks.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
As a new player the 12 magic key guild task helps immensely, I try to spend as much gold as I can spare on those, while still trying to get Karakoth to 10.

Still having a bit trouble with deciding on a good team, right now I'm running:

hero w/ blue dagger
cyclops
summoner (mostly for the kingdom bonus)
Gar'nok (my only legendary so far)

Which can deal some serious damage, but is a little slow. Been trying a churning team with Alchemist and Valkyrie before that, which was more fun to play, but always felt like I was missing a finisher (read something about green slimes or old ones or something?)

There's so much to do in this game it's almost a little overwhelming and hard to decide what to focus on first, any pointers?

PvP seems a little unreasonable right now, so I'm clearing PvE kingdoms, but without real focus either. Any particular epics or bonuses that are good? (So far I've cleared Broken Spire, Adana and Zhul'Kari, working on Karakoth now)

Oenis fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 14, 2016

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Several of the kingdoms have good epics you can unlock. The vampire from Whitwhelm is very strong, for example. Luther is fairly common to see on teams. Look through the early pages on the thread for newbie advice.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.

porktree posted:

Could I get an invite as well? Code is bobviously

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Back of the Bus posted:

Could I get an invite as well? Code is bobviously

Invited to Gem Boiz.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Oenis posted:

Which can deal some serious damage, but is a little slow. Been trying a churning team with Alchemist and Valkyrie before that, which was more fun to play, but always felt like I was missing a finisher (read something about green slimes or old ones or something?)

There's so much to do in this game it's almost a little overwhelming and hard to decide what to focus on first, any pointers?

PvP seems a little unreasonable right now, so I'm clearing PvE kingdoms, but without real focus either. Any particular epics or bonuses that are good? (So far I've cleared Broken Spire, Adana and Zhul'Kari, working on Karakoth now)
The OP is outdated in a lot of ways, but the advice on the kingdom quest epic troops is still good. The ones from Whitehelm, Divinion Fields, and Mist of Scales plus hero make a good starter team. If I was starting now, I would do those questlines first after Broken Spire and the first part of Zhul'Kari to unlock the treasure hunt minigame. Pump your souls into that team to level them up. Do not buy gold keys or contribute to guild tasks. Use your gold to unlock more kingdoms as that increases your daily gold income. You will be tempted to do Challenges for souls, but save those for later when you can do them on a higher difficulty level with the Treant/Alchemist/Valkyrie/Banshee farm team for maximum souls. Arena is a great place for new players since it rewards a little bit of everything you need, and you do not have to worry about leveling up your own team.

Don't worry about PvP until you have been playing for a week or two. It is a bit of a newbie trap since there are better uses of your time, although not as bad as when battles cost gold. I almost quit the game my first week because I couldn't afford to do even PvE quests after trying to PvP too soon and losing.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

thanks for the guild invite!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hell yeah double gold weekend

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Thoughts for new players:

• Don't contribute anything to the guild tasks until you have unlocked all 22 kingdoms.
  • Get all your kingdoms to level 5 ASAP with gold, then start looking at guild tasks
  • Contribute maybe 10% of your gold towards guild tasks while you advance all your kingdoms from level 5 to level 7.
  • Once all your kingdoms are level 7, focus on getting individual kingdoms to 10 one at a time. Preferred order is magic --> attack --> life --> armor, but Khaziel/Whitehelm/Khetar may jump ahead if desired. If you want, you could also up the rate of contribution to guild tasks at this point.
  • Your home kingdom does two things. First, it doubles the tribute you receive from that kingdom. So Khaziel would give a cool 500 (possibly 1,000) gold each time it sends tribute. The other thing it does is set what kinds of traitstones you can earn during revenge battles. I am trying to get my hands on Arcane Stoic stones (plain blue) right now, so my home kingdom is Stormheim. Tony homo has posted an image that lists the pre-1.0.9 kingdoms, their colors, and their arcane stones.

pixfix
Nov 4, 2010

GET IN THE BIN
Hey, just started playing this game the other day (level 27) and was wondering if I could get a guild invite. I have a team of blue weapon, hobgoblin, green seer and sacred guardian. It works so far, but hobgoblin is tasting to get 1 shot. My invite code is pixfix.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

pixfix posted:

My invite code is pixfix.

Invite sent to Gem Blossums.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Grundulum posted:

Thoughts for new players:

• Don't contribute anything to the guild tasks until you have unlocked all 22 kingdoms.
  • Get all your kingdoms to level 5 ASAP with gold, then start looking at guild tasks
  • Contribute maybe 10% of your gold towards guild tasks while you advance all your kingdoms from level 5 to level 7.
  • Once all your kingdoms are level 7, focus on getting individual kingdoms to 10 one at a time. Preferred order is magic --> attack --> life --> armor, but Khaziel/Whitehelm/Khetar may jump ahead if desired. If you want, you could also up the rate of contribution to guild tasks at this point.
  • Your home kingdom does two things. First, it doubles the tribute you receive from that kingdom. So Khaziel would give a cool 500 (possibly 1,000) gold each time it sends tribute. The other thing it does is set what kinds of traitstones you can earn during revenge battles. I am trying to get my hands on Arcane Stoic stones (plain blue) right now, so my home kingdom is Stormheim. Tony homo has posted an image that lists the pre-1.0.9 kingdoms, their colors, and their arcane stones.

Why would Khaziel / Whitehelm / Khetar jump ahead?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

Why would Khaziel / Whitehelm / Khetar jump ahead?
Each kingdom's tribute is a ratio of gold, glory, or souls that is equal in value to the other kingdoms. I forget the numbers for the value of gold to glory to souls. Khaziel is the max gold tribute. Khetar is max souls, and I assume Whitehelm is max glory.

Next week's event starts in the morning. The glory vendor will sell the new Ifrit card in a bundle. It will probably also have Arcane Storm (red/yellow) traitstones. If you have spare glory, it will be worth buying extra copies if you can. A lot of good cards use those stones. Valkyrie, Goblin Rocket, Moloch, Gar'Nok, and now of course Ifrit. I am going to buy as many as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

grrarg posted:

Each kingdom's tribute is a ratio of gold, glory, or souls that is equal in value to the other kingdoms. I forget the numbers for the value of gold to glory to souls. Khaziel is the max gold tribute. Khetar is max souls, and I assume Whitehelm is max glory.

Next week's event starts in the morning. The glory vendor will sell the new Ifrit card in a bundle. It will probably also have Arcane Storm (red/yellow) traitstones. If you have spare glory, it will be worth buying extra copies if you can. A lot of good cards use those stones. Valkyrie, Goblin Rocket, Moloch, Gar'Nok, and now of course Ifrit. I am going to buy as many as I can.

The ratio is 25 gold = 4 souls = 1 glory. All the kingdoms except one have exactly ten units of tribute. Pridelands, for whatever reason, gives 11 units of tribute: 100 gold, 4 glory, and 12 souls (maybe it's Finley's influence).

Good catch on the arcane stone being offered this week. And because it's an epic troop, there will be two arcanes in each 400-glory pack, if previous trends hold.