Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

criscodisco posted:

I haven't had a ton of trouble with the chip cards, since in my area so far only Trader Joe's and CVS have them hooked up.

I do constantly get aggravated at the card readers at Walmart and Speedway, though. Typically, you swipe, and the reader should ask you if you want credit or debit. Except at Walmart and Speedway, where you have to wait until it asks for your PIN, then hit the red "cancel" button, and choose credit.

It just seems like a needlessly confusing setup. I like using credit because it doesn't affect the daily withdrawal limit imposed by most banks, but debit does. Sometimes I want to buy some pot and need to hit the atm, and my bank only lets you have a total of $500 withdrawn between atm transactions and debit purchases a day.

Debit incurs less fees and is harder to charge back so vendors prefer it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

HAmbONE posted:

Sorry for the crap pic

Refrigerators that have fruit/vegetable crisper drawers at the bottom of the fridge. The bottom of the fridge is where you store raw meat. It is the only place you should store raw meat in any type of refrigerator. They are an odd shape that does not accommodate large butcher wrapped packs of raw meat.

This is so loving stupid and I saw it in a new model while appliance shopping.

edit: grammar

In a commercial kitchen with a ton of food and cheap wire shelves in the freezer meat on the bottom makes a difference, at home with like two pieces of meat and solid shelves who cares.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

HAmbONE posted:

Sorry for the crap pic

Refrigerators that have fruit/vegetable crisper drawers at the bottom of the fridge. The bottom of the fridge is where you store raw meat. It is the only place you should store raw meat in any type of refrigerator. They are an odd shape that does not accommodate large butcher wrapped packs of raw meat.

This is so loving stupid and I saw it in a new model while appliance shopping.

edit: grammar

My last apartment actually had this exact refrigerator and it was fine maybe you should take it easy. Maybe for other specific designs it's different (it's probably not), but you'd need a lot of blood coming off your meat for it to overflow the bottom shelf (its got raised edges so it would just pool normally), and even if it did it would just run down the wall, it wouldn't actually make it into the drawers

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Also it's easier to control humidity in the bottom of the fridge, like you want for storing vegetables. This is assuming it's in a freezer topped model. Also things like meats and eggs belong in the coldest regions of a fridge, ie up top.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

criscodisco posted:

Also it's easier to control humidity in the bottom of the fridge, like you want for storing vegetables. This is assuming it's in a freezer topped model. Also things like meats and eggs belong in the coldest regions of a fridge, ie up top.

I dont think you can fit a human head up there

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just bought a onesie sleep suit for my son. He's still in nappies. They open with a zip from just above the ankle which runs up the leg, over the groin and up the middle of the trunk to the throat. To change a nappy one has to unzip from the top, exposing the child's skin, and you also have to remove the leg on the side which has the zip. Even then it's really tricky to change a nappy. Stupid ducking design for a garment designed for small children.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Today I learned that Americans still sign for debit/credit card transactions.

I seriously don't think I've signed for a card transaction for over 10 years. And now we've moved beyond Chip n Pin to Contactless, which is amazing (takes 1s and you don't even need to take your card out of your wallet), and you can use it for travelling on the underground or buses. Although, I wish they'd let you choose to raise the limit (it's £30 at the moment).

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Cats LOVE Cigars! posted:

This loving urinal. It's like, hello, maybe try putting it in the actual privacy of a restroom next time. Also good luck with the upward pee arc unless you happen to be 7 feet tall.

I think I've seen someone do this at SFO airport, it was a bit unexpected.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Aralan posted:

My last apartment actually had this exact refrigerator and it was fine maybe you should take it easy. Maybe for other specific designs it's different (it's probably not), but you'd need a lot of blood coming off your meat for it to overflow the bottom shelf (its got raised edges so it would just pool normally), and even if it did it would just run down the wall, it wouldn't actually make it into the drawers

Hmmmmm maybe I will hate my refrigerator less. I did work in a kitchen and a grocery store and both really drilled into me the idea of "raw meat below everything." I didn't consider that rack vs. shelf played a large part of it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ewan posted:

I seriously don't think I've signed for a card transaction for over 10 years. And now we've moved beyond Chip n Pin to Contactless, which is amazing (takes 1s and you don't even need to take your card out of your wallet), and you can use it for travelling on the underground or buses. Although, I wish they'd let you choose to raise the limit (it's £30 at the moment).

i've only had to sign for debit in restaurants (you add the tip to the bill they hand you).

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
My stupid microwave keeps beeping at you during and after the moment you've opened the door to get your food. You have to press stop before you open the door to shut the beeps off -- pressing stop after the door is open doesn't work. I find this upsetting.

Almost as upsetting as the airhorn-like dryer buzzer that's impossible to disable and that scares the poo poo out of me and my cats when it sounds. I live in a studio apartment -- there is no need for the buzzer to be that loud. There's no need for a dryer buzzer, period. Can you hear it tumbling around from the far corner of the apartment a whole 20 feet away? Then it is on. Is it silent? Then it is off. :ocelot:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rabbit Hill posted:

My stupid microwave keeps beeping at you during and after the moment you've opened the door to get your food. You have to press stop before you open the door to shut the beeps off -- pressing stop after the door is open doesn't work. I find this upsetting.

Almost as upsetting as the airhorn-like dryer buzzer that's impossible to disable and that scares the poo poo out of me and my cats when it sounds. I live in a studio apartment -- there is no need for the buzzer to be that loud. There's no need for a dryer buzzer, period. Can you hear it tumbling around from the far corner of the apartment a whole 20 feet away? Then it is on. Is it silent? Then it is off. :ocelot:

I bought a Bosch washer/dryer recently where you can set the volume and frequency or just turn it off. Good design.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

therattle posted:

I just bought a onesie sleep suit for my son. He's still in nappies. They open with a zip from just above the ankle which runs up the leg, over the groin and up the middle of the trunk to the throat. To change a nappy one has to unzip from the top, exposing the child's skin, and you also have to remove the leg on the side which has the zip. Even then it's really tricky to change a nappy. Stupid ducking design for a garment designed for small children.

Should go back to putting all babies, regardless of gender, in dresses. Makes changing diapers a snap. It's how FDR grew up and he became president!

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/when-did-girls-start-wearing-pink-1370097/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Over-the-head onesies are the norm in the US and they suck hard for babies under 7 months who can't sit yet. The one-leg fastener rompers are frustrating too. Front button or kimono-tie forever imo.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
breeders amirite \/:v:\/

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Just keep kids naked till they're like 5, because they're probably gonna barf on themselves anyway.

therattle posted:

I bought a Bosch washer/dryer recently where you can set the volume and frequency or just turn it off. Good design.

The LG front loaders have the same thing. I wouldn't recommend LG front loaders, though. I've had two in a row that died on me right after their 1 year warranty was up. When they're working, they're top notch, though.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I want to submit Berkeley, CA into this thread for dumb designs. You see, people were complaining before about tight traffic caused by four-way stops, but thankfully, Berkeley, whose streets are often thin and jammed with cars, has many many mini-roundabouts within it.

However, every single one also has stop signs at every entrance.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Squalitude posted:

My PS3 manages to annoy me because it seems designed to make the controller I don't want to use be the player 1 controller. I have the normal controller plugged in and use that, and like to have a second controller plugged in to the second slot (usually one with a cord or a third party with a remote sensor in the second slot). Yet every time I switch on the PS3, using the normal controller, it always assigns the player 1 slot to the second controller, so if I need to be in the player 1 slot (as many player games insist on) I have to go through a couple of menus to reassign my controller to player 1. Purely an idiotic design choice made by an unknown idiot, isn't it obvious that if I use a specific controller to switch on the PS3, and plug the second controller into the second port, that I want my controller to be the first?!

I doubt it will be a problem with the PS4 though, since two player games are a thing of the past.

This is so nerdy I can't see anymore.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Zesty Mordant posted:

I want to submit Berkeley, CA into this thread for dumb designs. You see, people were complaining before about tight traffic caused by four-way stops, but thankfully, Berkeley, whose streets are often thin and jammed with cars, has many many mini-roundabouts within it.

However, every single one also has stop signs at every entrance.

I went into SF the other day and now they have red painted 'bus/taxi only lanes'. Why? Does that loving work? Why would you get rid of a lane.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
You dont have to apply the same stringent standards you follow in a commercial kitchen to your home kitchen necessarily...

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Wedemeyer posted:

I went into SF the other day and now they have red painted 'bus/taxi only lanes'. Why? Does that loving work? Why would you get rid of a lane.
Seems silly to me to point out a singular thing like that when the roads in SF are horribly designed across the board and the city has like 30% more cars in it than it can reasonably accommodate. SF in and of itself is bad design

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
What is the best designed big city?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

thathonkey posted:

You need a certain lack of design for a city to be great. A city needs an edge, randomness and chaos for it to prosper, and to create an environment that allows people to do their thing. An overly designed city doesn't give you that.

Have a look at what's going on in post-earthquake Christchurch for an interesting case of trying to keep that in mind.
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/sep/01/christchurch-earthquake-cyclopolis-redesign-city-cyclists-pedestrians
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/jan/27/christchurch-after-earthquake-rebuild-image-new-zealand

sweek0 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 13, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't know best but boston is the worst but it wasn't really "designed".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

You dont have to apply the same stringent standards you follow in a commercial kitchen to your home kitchen necessarily...

Yeah, those rules for commercial kitchens are designed for a space that is going to be used by lots of people, a good portion of which will be lazy/high/idiots. I don't need to worry about meat dripping all over my fridge, because I'm not being hounded by a boss to fill orders more quickly, and can actually take the time to store it properly.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

revmoo posted:

LMAO. Yeah how could that process possibly take longer than simply swiping? Also you're forgetting the fact that there is a challenge/response between the card and processor that adds time.

It's nice to imagine that the issuing card provider gives a rat's rear end about security but it's simply not true. Your card is touched by multiple agents that can easily skim data. The data might be going from on-site software to Datawire to Paymentech to FDMS Central to the issuing bank and all the way back. Your data is in no way secure. Even with PCI PA-DSS, which is a joke, anyone who has a federal tax ID and a MID can get the information. The federal tax ID is public information and the MID is typically printed on the receipt or on the machine itself. The terminal ID is harder to get but not impossible or necessary for scamming.

Credit card security is a joke. I've never signed the back of my cards and yet they are always processed without question. I could sign my card "Stolen Card" and they wouldn't care. Technically, most credit card processor agreements forbid checking for ID. Many companies still store full card data, including CVV (track 3), and no-one questions it. Heartland Payment Systems had millions of credit card records stolen and they're still in business. There are many places that write down full CC information on paper and keep it unsecured.

However, remember that your card is insured and any false transactions will be reversed. The card companies do take care of you when there are problems. It's the merchants and the system itself that have the flaws.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ewan posted:

its only at small to medium sized establishments. u dont have to do it at big chains

its because the credit card companies will gently caress em over if theres a charge back or identity theft or whatever and they didnt get a signature. but poo poo like walmart well they'll just eat the cost so whatever swipe it, the card says SEE ID? swipe it again

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

FFT posted:

Can we go back to how there's a trend in American public schools not having doors on bathroom stalls? Whatever, basically this is why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYhGi65Lijg

actually its because they dont have the money to replace em if someone kicks em down. and dumb kids will do that.

i went to a gifted program in elementary school in an ex-title 1 school building and despite the building being full of pre-screened sperglords there werent even stalls for the toilets probably because they got kicked down in the 60s and never got replaced

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Darth123123 posted:

This is so nerdy I can't see anymore.

Just be glad I didn't throw in a paragraph about how I have to be on the correct side of the screen if I'm playing Street Fighter.

I don't think it's really that nerdy though, it's about as radical a complaint as if you had to start a car's engine from the passenger side. It just seems nerdy as I've had to talk about pressing buttons and playing video games.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 13, 2016

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Unnecessarily tall and long speed bumps. There's a shopping center close to my work that people used to cut through to avoid traffic on the main road, so they installed a row of speed bumps to prevent this. A good idea on paper, but whenever I actually go into this shopping center to, y'know, shop, I literally have to go 1-2MPH over the bump or my car will bottom out.

I remember an ambulance had to get into this shopping center to help some guy having a medical issue. The driver looked pissed as gently caress because those stupid speed bumps were eating valuable time.

Also re: chip chat, I don't mind the chip reader taking a little extra time, but I want to kick the shins of every person who I'm standing behind who keeps yanking their card out before the machine tells them to, and doing this at least THREE loving TIMES in a row

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

whoever decided to make us piss out of our fun bits. pretty bad design.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

thathonkey posted:

I really like Portlands street layout. The city is divided into 4 quadrants by Burnside street and the Williamette river. All the numbered streets run North-South and the smaller the number the close to the river. All the named streets run East-Westand are mostly in alphabetical order. Every address also had a quadrant suffix added to the end of street name. Its pretty easy to find a location even if you are completely unfamiliar with it.
http://www.portlandtraveltips.com/2013/04/14/portland-geography-101/

eSporks fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 13, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

nigga crab pollock posted:

the card says SEE ID? swipe it again

If the card says SEE ID then technically it's invalid because it's not signed. Your bullshit made-up rule is not only meaningless but is actively violating the actual rules. :thumbsup:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

NYC has some planning but not so much that it ruins the place.

naem
May 29, 2011

I miss how in newt York everyone knows how to use a sidewalk:

-there are two clear lanes of 'traffic' in each direction
-there is a fast and a slow lane so everyone walks at a steady comfortable speed of their choosing
-people entering or leaving stores wait and merge with 'traffic' exactly like cars on the street
-no one ever stops in the middle of 'traffic' because that would block the million other people walking which would be weird and bad

In SF where I now live:
-half the population are just visiting and they want to stop and gawk at everything when you are trying to get to work
-people walk in groups that block entire sidewalks and look confused when you walk at a different speed
-entering and exiting stores without looking and being completely confused that there are people walking forward in a straight line from point A to point B on the sidewalk already who they have now bumped into
-'special interest groups' such as 'tiny adorable 500 year old Asian grandma's and 'guys wearing an expensive fancy person outfit such as an expensive sweater with a shirt collar showing' expect deferential treatment and get very sad/perturbed when they can't walk completely against traffic and 5000 people don't all get out of their way so they can walk diagonally and stop suddenly for no reason
-insane filthy homeless guys ramming into people and screaming obscenities nonstop who get super super scared if you respond "no how about gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat"
-not being able to scream "gently caress you" in a jovial manner without terrifying people since in New York that just means hello

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Whatev posted:

Seems silly to me to point out a singular thing like that when the roads in SF are horribly designed across the board and the city has like 30% more cars in it than it can reasonably accommodate. SF in and of itself is bad design

You can thank Swiss fucko Jean Jacques Vioget for that. "Hm how do I survey this land? Eh just draw triangles and rectangles that's fine don't account for elevations and poo poo.'

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

thathonkey posted:

soviet cities were well designed because they incorporated community into design so they have good public spaces but are also quite dense unlike lovely America planned cities

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

SEX BURRITO posted:

I had to look up that book, because seriously, how do you microwave a steak? Welp, looks like someone has already tried some of the recipies - sorry for the Cracked link

That article made me laugh. What a sad book.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

RideTheSpiral posted:

soviet cities were well designed because they incorporated community into design so they have good public spaces but are also quite dense unlike lovely America planned cities

Yeah they also didn't account for this many people owning cars and now that situation is all kinds of hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I used another chip reader thing today. First I had to hold my card in the slot the whole time because it wouldn't make a connection resting by itself. Once it did make a connection, it took about 15 seconds to finish. :911:

• Locked thread