Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Monaghan posted:

I assumed that since happened right after Mika completely crushing the cockpit and Akhiro going "that's brutal" meant that they weren't going to be able to salvage the suit, but that's just me. In any case, I didn't see much strategic thinking from Mika in this fight at all.

Shino says that right as Mika knocks down the second enemy MS, but before he stomps the cockpit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

He seems to have just gone into rage mode after hearing and seeing the person who murdered Biscuit. Considering how he acted when Biscuit's sisters were seemingly hurt, it's unsurprising that he'd react like this when Biscuit himself was killed...but then he goes completely back into cold killer mode. It's honestly scary. He only breaks that at one point, when he points out that he'll kill Carta because she could be a danger, then corrects himself and says he'd kill her anyways.

The preview for next episode has Mika saying that he won't kill the people Orga tells him to anymore, instead he'll kill anyone who gets in their way, which is concrete proof of how revenge-driven Tekkadan in general and Mika in particular have gotten. He's not even acting for Orga's sake anymore.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kanos posted:

Shino says that right as Mika knocks down the second enemy MS, but before he stomps the cockpit.

On re watching the scene, you're right, I mixed up the sequence of events.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Depending on how this ends it might be my favorite Gundam.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Jesus gently caress, these are some very dark places the show is going to. Like, it wasn't rainbows up to here but... gently caress.

Macky is an amazingly manipulative rear end in a top hat but his own plan is still murky. He has shared with Gaelio (poor, sweet Gaelio) his desire to reform Gjallarhorn, but he is also playing him like a fiddle while knowing that he would be on his side if he really intended to shake things up so that Gjallarhorn became a force for order and good. He could be aiming for an anime nihilist gently caress EVERYTHING, RUINS FOR EVERYONE goal and yet I don't see it happening.

I'm still not sure what the final lie was. I believe Macky was being honest to Carta: he really used to look up to her. That leaves Gaelio's comforting of the dying Carta, or Mika's flashback to Biscuit.

Takaki and Ride telling Merribit off was heartbreaking. Kids aren't supposed to be this bloodthirsty. The non-fighting crew were like "oh, that's actually gross" at Mika's brutal assault, but Merribit was horrified at how the kids were encouraged and entertained by the battle. This just isn't going to have a happy ending, I just know it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Traveller posted:

I'm still not sure what the final lie was. I believe Macky was being honest to Carta: he really used to look up to her. That leaves Gaelio's comforting of the dying Carta, or Mika's flashback to Biscuit.

I think the Final Lie is Gaelio pretending to be McGillis to Carta. McGillis was never planning on rescuing her, and he's trying to drive Gaelio to more extreme means.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, I do have to wonder.

Why the hell didn't Gaelio just blow up the train tracks on his way out or get someone to do it? I mean Carta didn't do it because Honorable Duel but that went out the window, no reason not to. I guess he was kinda panicked but they've got a while to go down the line.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

ImpAtom posted:

You know, I do have to wonder.

Why the hell didn't Gaelio just blow up the train tracks on his way out or get someone to do it? I mean Carta didn't do it because Honorable Duel but that went out the window, no reason not to. I guess he was kinda panicked but they've got a while to go down the line.

Because he was prioritizing getting Carta the gently caress out of there. It didn't help, but...

As for why McGillis is probably setting Gaelio up to die rather than bringing him into the "fix Gjallarhorn" scheme, it's because he expects Gaelio to balk at the sort of dishonorable poo poo necessary to carry out any such scheme.

Also, while I'm reticent to get too much into the whole "comparing to other Gundam shows" thing, I'm honestly at a loss for whether there's been an uglier death than Carta's. Manipulated into a hopeless fight, her last subordinates die horribly in front of her, she and her mobile suit are brutally beaten in a fight where she was dominated from start to finish, she's reduced to begging for help as she watches her enemy prepare to finish her off, and then she dies while the man who tried to save her tells her he's the man who (unbeknownst to both of them) sent her out to die.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

What really got me about that Ein scene was how happy and upbeat he seemed about being an eighteen-metre-tall abomination. :smith:

Don't worry, he is really only 3 a feet tall abomination. Dude's probably pretty well hopped up on drugs.

I just started laughing when Carta showed up to parley. Not only that, they got out of their cockpits. I was waiting for yet another headshot and I wasn't disappointed. I just couldn't stop laughing at the sheer brutal pragmatism that Mika was displaying. The hell do you think was going to happen Carta? Even at the end she didn't understand a thing.

Poor Merribit. She is in too deep now to get off this ride. She did have some influence, as she managed to refocus Orga, therefore Mika from completely succumbing to blood lust. There is real danger they will lose sight of their goal and Merribit managed to pull them out of that for now.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Sandman posted:

Also, while I'm reticent to get too much into the whole "comparing to other Gundam shows" thing, I'm honestly at a loss for whether there's been [spoiler]an uglier death than Carta's. Manipulated into a hopeless fight, her last subordinates die horribly in front of her, she and her mobile suit are brutally beaten in a fight where she was dominated from start to finish, she's reduced to begging for help as she watches her enemy prepare to finish her off, and then she dies while the man who tried to save her tells her he's the man who (unbeknownst to both of them) sent her out to die.

In ZZ there's Cecilia, a very cowardly and weak willed friend of Torres who is an Axis spy. After having a fight with Torres, she works up the courage to take a bomb in a civilian ship all the way back to the Axis battleship. And then she dies thinking of Torres, whom she loved, taking the Axis ship with her and saving Judau in the process. The Argama and the ship leave. Torres has no idea what happened and is just glad things worked out somehow.

It is not as dramatic, but it shows a pathetic person overcoming her flaws and managing to save everyone... Then dying for it, with most people still thinking terribly of her.

It is probably the only thing about ZZ that had an emotional punch for me through the whole series. edit: Okay, thinking back on it, there's also Haman too but it wasn't very well executed if you ask me.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 14, 2016

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Darth Walrus posted:

* finger on monkey's paw curls shut *

:unsmigghh:

"Graze Ein"

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

I should make an obvious joke. "After losing a lot of weight, he's now half the man he once was".

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

oohhboy posted:

I should make an obvious joke. "After losing a lot of weight, he's now half the man he once was".

Really? I think he put on a couple of tons.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Darth Walrus posted:

I hope the cold opening for next week's episode is a first person view of McGillis telling Ein he's going to be a bad motherfucker.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

"Graze Ein"

I like the serial number. EB-AX2. Real imaginative, you guys.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Darth Walrus posted:

I like the serial number. EB-AX2. Real imaginative, you guys.

I mean, if anyone's got an axe or two to grind with Tekkadan, it's Ein :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This was such an absurdly good episode, and I'm glad I finally got the scene I wanted where Mika flips out.

Hell yeah.

Also, the scene where Merribit is trying to get the kids back into the train was great, and I don't think IBO is going to have a very happy ending.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Personally I think the series is gonna end this season with Tekkadan being massacred and being a really downer ending. Things are not going great right now and I think they are heading towards a final stand.

KoB
May 1, 2009
They took the only good part of that new Robocop movie and put it in Gundam. Gaelio is right to be weirded out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm hoping something calmish will play as the final tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGqp5jlvtmg

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cmykjester posted:

Personally I think the series is gonna end this season with Tekkadan being massacred and being a really downer ending. Things are not going great right now and I think they are heading towards a final stand.

They set up that most of the kids are going to be getting into Mobile Workers that don't have an AV system, right as Graze Eins is taking the field

The best outcome is that merely SOME of those kids are totally doomed. The increasingly likely outcome is that we're gonna see Orga looking over a field of smashed mobile workers and children's corpses.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I'm thinking that Macky is going to set Gaelio up to take the fall. The taboo against cybernetics in Earth still is going strong and if Gaelio felt revolted after seeing Mika's implants then people are going to be actively puking when they learn about the Einborg. And Macky has only been near the Graze Ein when he took Gaelio to the lab - the technician that was working on it went to call Gaelio alone. Now imagine if it is leaked out that the murderous mobile suit cyborg (one killing CHILDREN, if Macky is willing to go the extra propaganda mile) was put together at the orders of a prominent blue-haired scion of the Seven Stars.

On further thought, Macky really has it in for his dad. He's helping Tekkadan take Makanai to Edmonton to ruin Iznario's plot with Henri Fleurs, he's got Carta killed to destroy his control over the Issue family, and there's whatever he'll do to Gali-Gali and the Bauduins.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Tae posted:

I really, really loving love Survivor. It's not quite as immediately catchy as RAISE YOUR FLAG, but it's so good.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I like that cover of Survivor way more than I like the original rendition. >_>

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Made some gifs from the previous episode.

Linked because maybe spoilers?

Gif 1

Gif 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Traveller posted:

On further thought, Macky really has it in for his dad. He's helping Tekkadan take Makanai to Edmonton to ruin Iznario's plot with Henri Fleurs, he's got Carta killed to destroy his control over the Issue family, and there's whatever he'll do to Gali-Gali and the Bauduins.

I really want to know what Macky's dad did to piss him off so bad. The only thing I can assume is that Macky's dad was responsible in some way for whatever caused Macky to grow up the way he did and either isn't aware of Macky's true identity or something thinks adopting the kid is in his best interest.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

When is the full version of Survivor coming out, anyways? As far as I can see there's none, I can only find loops of varying qualities. We got Raise Your Flag even before the show began IIRC (and it's legally on Youtube, at that).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I really want to know what Macky's dad did to piss him off so bad. The only thing I can assume is that Macky's dad was responsible in some way for whatever caused Macky to grow up the way he did and either isn't aware of Macky's true identity or something thinks adopting the kid is in his best interest.

It's mentioned that McGillis is his dad's bastard. He was abandoned and raised in what are implied to be appalling conditions before Iznario took him back in (note how Carta compliments him on how quickly he was able to learn to read after he comes to live with her and Gaelio), and even then, wasn't treated as a proper Fareed by anyone except Carta and Ein. And then, when he became an adult, his dad arranges an engagement for him with a loving nine-year-old to secure his dynasty. He has reason to be pissed at Iznario even before you get into the grotesque, murderous corruption the guy's overseen during his time as the head of Gjallarhorn.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

When is the full version of Survivor coming out, anyways? As far as I can see there's none, I can only find loops of varying qualities. We got Raise Your Flag even before the show began IIRC (and it's legally on Youtube, at that).

It's been out for a few days as mp3 on Amazon.jp, cd version releases tomorrow.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Provided Tekkadan isn't completely wiped out by the end of this, I hope they become the antagonists in the second season or sequel movie or whatever, and the new protagonist is someone unrelated to show how far gone the Iron Flower Gang is.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh come on guys, Tekkadan hasn't really gone that far yet. Like every gundam group seeking to upset the status quo has done worse things than Tekkadan has so far. Celestial Being, Clyne Faction, Heero and co. They are not Noble and are going down a dark path but it's not like they are already gone.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

People like Celestial Being have more innocent blood on their hands from an objective point of view, but Tekkadan is willingly and deliberately going against what they used to believe in. Orga is going to put the kids into AV-less mobile workers with a flimsy "it's better than nothing" justification when the rebellion against CGS was triggered by the adult's deliberate use of the kids as disposable decoys. The talk about not having a home to return to means that Orga isn't even thinking of the Mars-side Tekkadan, and people like Takaki (who joined so that he could put his little sister through school) are completely onboard with his speech, to the point of being eager to see Mika commit bloody murder - compare the puzzled "he's doing what?" reaction Tekkadan had to Crank's challenge.

They're not completely over the line yet, but the show is making clear that this isn't the right path for them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's a huge difference between using the kids as disposable decoys and going "Gjallarhorn aren't going to just leave Tekkadan's younger kids alone and they want to fight, giving them weapons is better than Gjallarhorn killing them or disappearing them without having the option to defend themselves."

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

At this point, I really want to see the next episode. Mika's rampage feels more like he was just going all out at the person who killed Biscuit. We saw him start to flip when it looked like Cookie and Cracker got hit by a car, but this is him without the limiter. Part of me is hoping this turns into Drakenguard for season 2 with Mika is this legendary monster running around in a mobile suit.

I do think this episode showed that Orga is trying to put up a front that he's not fully committed to. He's cracking especially as the rest of the crew is getting more willing to go out and fight. I think the way it's going, Tekkadan gets decimated and Kudelia gets her revolution on the their corpses. I'd like the second season to be from McGillis and Gaelio's point of view with a reformed Gjallarhorn trying to A) Kill Mikazuki and B) uniting the rest of the remaining Gjallarhorn branches would be great. I'd also be really ok with a season 2 of Orga trying to rebuild Tekkadan MGSV style while trying to get Mikazuki back from the edge. It coild go a lot of good places.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

At this point, I really want to see the next episode. Mika's rampage feels more like he was just going all out at the person who killed Biscuit. We saw him start to flip when it looked like Cookie and Cracker got hit by a car, but this is him without the limiter. Part of me is hoping this turns into Drakenguard for season 2 with Mika is this legendary monster running around in a mobile suit.

I do think this episode showed that Orga is trying to put up a front that he's not fully committed to. He's cracking especially as the rest of the crew is getting more willing to go out and fight. I think the way it's going, Tekkadan gets decimated and Kudelia gets her revolution on the their corpses. I'd like the second season to be from McGillis and Gaelio's point of view with a reformed Gjallarhorn trying to A) Kill Mikazuki and B) uniting the rest of the remaining Gjallarhorn branches would be great. I'd also be really ok with a season 2 of Orga trying to rebuild Tekkadan MGSV style while trying to get Mikazuki back from the edge. It coild go a lot of good places.

Not sure Gaelio and McGillis's friendship will last that long. It felt like the whole reason Carta was allowed to live as long as she did was so that Gaelio would begin to have reason to distrust his buddy.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

I will accept nothing else besides Orphan's Tears. :colbert:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's a huge difference between using the kids as disposable decoys and going "Gjallarhorn aren't going to just leave Tekkadan's younger kids alone and they want to fight, giving them weapons is better than Gjallarhorn killing them or disappearing them without having the option to defend themselves."

We'll see how Orga deploys them in the next episode. Though there is also a huge difference between "Tekkadan is a house we all build together" and "It's killed or be killed, we have no home to return to."

Incidentally, the only thing I see throwing a wrench in Macky's plans now was Carta's unwitting reveal of his hand behind her attack. The only reason Orga, Biscuit and Mika had to keep his identity a secret was that he would abandon Kudelia otherwise, but if he's going to betray her like that, then Kudelia might have one last ace in her sleeve when poo poo goes down.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I kind of think the whole thing about not having a home to go back to is because, currently, they have no way to go back. Sure, there's the ships in orbit. But how do they get into orbit to get to the ships? They're, for better or for worse, stuck on Earth and their only hope of going home is to go forward and accomplish their current goals. Pretty sure even Montag doesn't have the means to smuggle them back off into space, not now anyways.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Christ, that was a heavy episode. I feel real bad for Gaelio, since this episode was built from the ground up to just completely and utterly gut him on an emotional level.

When he agreed to finally let them perform the AV operation on Ein, I'm pretty drat sure he was just expecting something more akin to what he remembered seeing on Mika back on Mars - Ein still fully intact, but with a couple of whiskers sticking out of his back. Seeing Ein reduced to a torso wired directly into a Mobile Suit... not so much. And then to have Ein gushing about how great Gaelio is for giving him this chance and for being someone Ein can admire and look up to when he basically no longer has any shot at anything resembling a normal life again from here on out... just god drat.

And that's not even getting into that whole thing with Carta at the end. :smithicide:

I mean, say what you want about Ein himself being one-dimensional, but his arc has certainly done wonders for adding depth to Gaelio's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
...Does Ein have arms anymore?

• Locked thread