Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gotta say I admire the commitment of the English rugby team, who all got together, shook hands and agreed to go out of the competition super-early so Doctor Who wouldn't have to be rescheduled any more. :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
wait I was speaking a load of rubbish: the Rugby World Cup was on STV and not the BBC. Dunno how I forgot that!

Still they might have moved it around to avoid clashing, you probably wouldn't want your big Saturday Night shows going against England's rugby team if you could avoid it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

one of the episodes went out at 9 which is way too late

As an American, I'm glad we get a consistent timeslot, but the fact that it's at 9PM has always felt wrong.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Seriously, it's two hours early! :argh:

And who cut the episodes down? They're supposed to be an hour and a half... or four. :911:

And where's Jack Horkheimer? Shouldn't he have regenerated? :ohdear:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

Forgot about that, yeah it's an established thing now I guess. I still don't like it, it kind of feels like a crutch/cheat to me that apparently you can just call on regeneration energy whenever you feel like it.

Pretty much every time the Doctor has magic powers it's rubbish. eg. The Master's thing from the episode that you just reviewed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Pretty much every time the Doctor has magic powers it's rubbish. eg. The Master's thing from the episode that you just reviewed.

When Tennant started babbling about tapping into the network's matrix or some poo poo in Last of the Time Lords in order to restore himself I basically had the "oh, gently caress this" look on my face from Brigadier Sockface's comic.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

MrL_JaKiri posted:

IMO every episode should be Bill and Ted, the Doctor just going 'aha, your death laser may kill me but Im going to put a death laser shield just behind this curtain later on'.

Actually that was a joke, but more I think of it, I want a Master/Doctor/Missy duel where they just pull anti-weapon devices out of nowhere every 30 seconds for 45 minutes.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

happyhippy posted:

IMO every episode should be Bill and Ted, the Doctor just going 'aha, your death laser may kill me but Im going to put a death laser shield just behind this curtain later on'.

Actually that was a joke, but more I think of it, I want a Master/Doctor/Missy duel where they just pull anti-weapon devices out of nowhere every 30 seconds for 45 minutes.

This is pretty much The Curse of Fatal Death.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Timby posted:

When Tennant started babbling about tapping into the network's matrix or some poo poo in Last of the Time Lords in order to restore himself I basically had the "oh, gently caress this" look on my face from Brigadier Sockface's comic.
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=4043

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In watching The Deadly Assassin, shortly after reading your review, I realized that there's some symmetry between the Dalek Forever Skaro Sewer Angry Goop and the Time Lord Memories Spoooky Room Machine.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

happyhippy posted:

That's basically Let's Kill Hitler.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like, if every Master is a match for the Doctor they go up against, that sort of thing would be perfect for a Master against Matt Smith. I feel like he would do great to sell a constant stream of ridiculous counters and ante-ups.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

In watching The Deadly Assassin, shortly after reading your review, I realized that there's some symmetry between the Dalek Forever Skaro Sewer Angry Goop and the Time Lord Memories Spoooky Room Machine.

I wonder who Davros' closest parallel in Time Lord Society would be. It's tempting to parallel him with the Master (especially in Deadly Assassin where they're both the weird uncle pulling strings from their dark little rooms as their bodies fall apart) but it's probably Rassilon - neither species would have raised to the heights they had without them, and they respect them for what they did.... but neither species really likes their "dad" and wishes they could just lock him away in a rest home or put him into a coma and not have to deal with him anymore.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Before the Flood posted:

Doctor: Listen to me. We all have to face death eventually, be it ours or someone else's.
Clara: I'm not ready yet. I don't want to think about that, not yet.
Doctor: I can't change what's already happened. There are rules.
Clara: So break them. And anyway, you owe me. You've made yourself essential to me. You've given me something else to... to be. And you can't do that and then die. It's not fair.
Doctor: Clara....
Clara: No. Doctor, I don't care about your rules or your bloody survivor's guilt. If you love me in any way, you'll come back.

Under the Lake and Before the Flood together form probably the strongest actual 2-parter of season 9, working together to complement the other and create a story that as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Written by Toby Whithouse who has a pretty drat good track record as a Who writer (The God Complex is only NOT the best episode of season 6 because of the unfair fact Neil Gaiman wrote The Doctor's Wife in the same season) and he does a very, very solid job here with this two-parter. I argued in the past that Under the Lake doesn't really stand on its own and is nothing much more than a stage-setter for Before the Flood but having rewatched it I think I was being quite unfair. The base-under-siege tension is of course brilliant as it almost always is, but the episode does more than just lay a solid foundation for what is to follow. It has its own little arc, a beginning/middle/end that does the gruntwork or establishing character and tone before hitting us with an excellent cliffhanger. Yes it absolutely is a stage-setter for the following episode, but that is what it needs to be and it is unfair to criticize it for so effectively fulfilling its intended function. Similarly, I've criticized Before the Flood of feeling half-finished and lacking in characterization and to be honest I don't really know what the gently caress I was thinking because on a rewatch it all held up perfectly fine. Yes the Fisher King is a bit of a waste of a cool design, and some of the effects are a bit naff, and the "Holy poo poo ghosts are real!" moment from the first episode gets casually dismissed in a single off-hand remark, and the bootstrap paradox being lampshaded doesn't change the fact that the hole in the plot is still there. But I think that getting to actually watch the episodes back to back instead of a week or so apart actually made me appreciate just how strong a story we do get from the two parts, and my complaints about both episodes are in the end pretty petty or otherwise inconsequential. Plus there's the quoted section above, which I think is VERY important.

http://i.imgur.com/NR5sdjn.gifv

This all starts as a ghost story, but there is an air of a mystery to it too, with the base-under-siege tension being the cherry on top. The crew of an underwater base locate what could be an alien ship.... or just a piece of experimental military technology. Their base is located on the remains of an old military training "town" that was flooded when the nearby dam burst, and there is some obvious (if casual) tension between the military members of the crew and the industrial representative who is bankrolling their exploration for oil. Inside the ship they notice peculiar writing, and when an "accident" causes the death of their commander they are horrified to discover his ghost (terrifyingly eyeless) return and immediately attempt to murder them. Several days later, the Doctor and Clara arrive and find the base seemingly abandoned and the subject of much violence, but when they spot two of the ghosts (the commander and a Tivolian, familiar from The God Complex) they are bemused to find the spirits seemingly disinterested in them. Moving on they find the ship and see the mysterious writing, at which points the ghosts become violent and force them to flee, heralded to safety inside the Faraday Cage where the rest of the crew are hiding, the ghosts apparently unable to enter it.

It's a solid start that gives us a fair bit of information to work with. The ghosts are actively trying to murder the living, but only show interest when the living have seen the writing in the ship. Said writing was not translated by the TARDIS which is also making it clear to the Doctor that it does NOT want to be there (sadly the cloister bell now is extremely overused). We've already been given a taste of the personalities of the various crewmembers which will be built on throughout the episode, and we've learned that the ghosts can't enter the Faraday cage (which is present because of a nuclear reactor) and that they disappear during "day mode" in the base. Everything that follows builds off this important opening few minutes of the episode, but it's not just an info dump, as we get some humor in too (the Doctor's discovery that he does NOT know sign language, the cue cards he needs in order to show empathy, leaving Clara hanging on a high give etc) as well as a rather important moment where the Doctor uneasily attempts to address the elephant in the room of Clara's state of mind following Danny's death. Clara's reaction to this is very interesting, because while initially she comes across as touched but otherwise fine, the longer the conversation goes the more she seems kind of desperate to get off the subject. At the time I assumed that she was simply repressing her feelings/attempting her best to force herself to move on or otherwise simply fill the gap in her life. With full knowledge of the season to give it context, it seems this wasn't much more than a red herring.... or perhaps just an example of how even now in the 21st century viewers like me still half-expect a female character to completely base her identity/sense of self around a male love interest. Even more interesting though is looking past the obvious and at what the Doctor says as opposed to Clara - he warns her not for the first time that she can't (and shouldn't want to) be him, and suggests she find a hobby or another relationship. It's said in kindness but really if you think about it, it's pretty patronizing, and the way things finally resolve in the final episode where the end of her adventures with the Doctor do NOT mean the end of her adventures puts this whole thing in an entirely new light, for me at least. The Doctor and perhaps the audience seem to need to believe that if Clara isn't going to having adventures with the Doctor that she's just going to go ahead and live a normal life, find a hobby or a relationship to fill the hole in her life that HE leaves. Instead, what we get is Clara forcing him to address her as an equal partner and the two of them going their separate ways with neither having to "settle" for normalcy. It's the first time I can think of since Romana left the 4th Doctor that a companion has independently moved on down the same path they were on when they were with the Doctor..... but I'm getting ahead of myself!

Nearly everything in this story fits together, and one of its strengths AND weaknesses is that it mostly just provides these details without slotting them together. In a lot of cases, the viewer is left to attach significance to some earlier statement/fact to events that occur later on. This is good because it rewards and encourages attentive watching, and bad in that it's easy to view the whole thing as just kinda being resolved out of nowhere. The Doctor learns that there are ghosts, that the TARDIS doesn't like being around them, that they can physically interact with metal, they disappear during the day cycle of the base and are actively trying to prevent that cycle from kicking in, and also that they keep silently repeating something. It doesn't take him long to figure out a plan to trap the ghosts inside the Faraday cage so they can't get out by using this information, which in turn sets up the method by which he will eventually win the day. Using a hologram of Clara he baits them into the cage, and after learning from the deaf Cass what they are saying, he grasps that the "ghosts" are actually just an extension of the message left inside the salvaged ship, and that they are killing those who have seen the message in order to swell their ranks to boost that message. The message is an infection, getting into the brain of the person who sees it and then co-opting their image via manipulation of the electro-magnetic spectrum. It's all technobabble of course, but the main takeaway is that the message is technically "alive", capable of simple problem-solving in order to fulfill its function, and determined to propagate until the message is heard by the intended recipients. So how to stop the message? Go back to where it began of course, time-travel back to the 1980s just before the village was flooded and find out where the ship came from, and what happened to the missing suspended animation chamber and power-cell (the value of which inadvertently caused the death of Pritchard, the corporate representative). Before that can happen, the seals holding back the ocean break due to the constant and deliberate interference of the ghosts switching off day-mode, and the Doctor is cut off from Clara as the central corridor of the base is sealed off to contain the water flooding in to protect the nuclear reactor from over-heating. He can't just hop over in the TARDIS and get her, Cass and Lunn since the TARDIS is throwing a tantrum about being around the ghosts, so he promises to solve the mystery in the 80s and then return to get her. She's safe after all, the ghosts are trapped in the Faraday Cage. But as he leaves, a new ghost appears in the window from the depths of the lake - the Doctor.

This cliffhanger works in a way that the Doctor seemingly threatening to kill a child in The Magician's Apprentice did not, at least for me. It's a hosed up situation, it made me eager to see what happened with the still-alive Doctor back in the 1980s, how Clara would deal with the belief that the Doctor was dead (even if I didn't think for a moment he was) and how he would get out of the situation (and I'm sure most if not every person watching knew OF COURSE he was going to get out of it). It immediately raised the stakes, because no offense to the quite well realized supporting cast but this poo poo is affecting somebody who actually matters now - the Doctor! It was a great ending to a very solid first episode, one that did a hell of a lot of grunt work to set everything up both explicitly and implicitly for the episode to follow, while still managing to maintain tension and thrills through its own running time to make it an episode worth watching just by itself.

The immediate follow-up in Before the Flood is an interesting decision, opening with the Doctor alone in the TARDIS and seemingly breaking the 4th wall to directly address the audience. He postulates an example of the Bootstrap Paradox, in which a fan of Beethoven travels back in time to meet his hero only to discover he never existed.... but the fan has copies of all of Beethoven's works, so HE becomes Beethoven, "writing" all of his music and living his life to fulfill the conditions that brought him back there in the first place.... except WHO wrote them in the first place? Having the Doctor directly address the audience like this was a peculiar choice, especially as he seems to break the 4th wall again at the end of the episode with a wry look to camera after commenting on this to Clara. In Heaven Sent we'll learn that this is actually a mental representation of the Doctor's incredibly fast thought processes, and that he talks to "us" only insofar as he is addressing himself by imagining an audience, either of Clara/a companion, or an invisible group of spectators. That's all well and good, but it kind of stands out in this story because there is no context for him doing this, and it stands apart from the rest of the story. The bootstrap paradox only comes into play after the Doctor figures out what is going on in Clara's time and how it relates to his own, so where does this scene at the start of the episode fit in, feeling as detached as it does from the rest of the episode?

http://i.imgur.com/Z6Uyt1W.gifv

Back in the 1980s, the Doctor, Bennett and O'Donnell discover the town was a faux-Soviet one used for training exercises by the British during the Cold War. This allows for some neat imagery and of course signifies the idea that what we're seeing is NOT what we're actually getting, as most of the episode is based around deceptions both deliberate and unintended. This can be as simple as O'Donnell's carefully restrained attitude around the Doctor being replaced by jumping for joy when alone with Bennett as she revels over having been wowed by the TARDIS interior; as complex as the Doctor figuring out halfway through his phone conversation with Clara what is actually happening (note his stress on the line,"I need to know everything my ghost does." because he's already realized what his "ghost" is); as straightforward as the Doctor's lie to the Fisher King; or as personal as Bennett's regret about O'Donnell and his insistence that Cass and Lunn not fall into the same trap. It's all about deception, which is probably most of the reason why they chose a Tivolian as the undertaker - aside from the fact that they were created by Whithouse in the first place - as this is a race noted for its very careful use of deception to hide and survive - aggressiveness in the guise of capitulation.

The Doctor - learning of his own impending death - has the dialogue with Clara I posted at the top of this write-up. It's important both in the context of this episode and the season as a whole, another example of the almost obsessive lengths both are willing to go to in order to keep that second chance they were granted in Last Christmas. Clara insists he breaks all the rules, refuses to let him go, and while it was easy at the time to mistake this for misplaced grief over Danny (still a viable possibility really) it actually boils down to the fact that Clara and the Doctor's relationship is so co-dependent that it is becoming dangerous, not just to themselves but those around them. O'Donnell dies while they flee from the now awoken Fisher King (who has already killed the Tivolian), and Bennett mistakes the Doctor's working through the list as an attempt at self-preservation rather than a desperate bid to save Clara now that he thinks that his ghost's recitation of names is the order in which they will all die. The Doctor attempts to break the rules and finds himself trapped in his own timestream, unable to leave the village or move forward in time. Confronted by the Fisher King, it taunts him for being too scared to violate his own precious laws of Time even though the Time Lords nearly tore the universe apart during the Time War breaking every law there was in their bid to win it. But the Doctor is playing a deeper game than Bennett, the Fisher King, or even Clara suspect. Having figured out that his Ghost is actually a hologram he himself sets up, he undertakes to recreate the conditions he now knows are necessary to get them back to where they started and solve this problem once and for all. After failing to convince O'Donnell to stay in the TARDIS, he gets Bennett to stay put inside. He removes the power cell he noticed was missing in the future, he programs his hologram with specific instructions of when to appear and what to do (throwing in a dash of minor AI to allow it to adapt to situations), he lets the Fisher King taunt him in order to buy time for his plan to take effect and then he just lies to its face and tells it that he violated the laws of time and destroyed the message inside the ship, rewriting the future. The Fisher King, who apparently is not particularly smart, just trudges its big rear end out to the ship to confirm this for itself and is blown away with a cheap special effect when the dam bursts after the Doctor explodes the stolen power cell. The Doctor hides inside the Suspended Animation Chamber that he and the crew brought onboard in the previous episode, popping out just as Clara and the others look set to die. His hologram draws the other "ghosts" into the Faraday Cage by replaying the sound of the Fisher King's call, and with everything resolved the surviving crew are free to be rescued once the Doctor has removed the message from their brains.

And here's where more than a moment's reflection makes the whole thing kinda fall apart.

The ghosts had to be tricked back into the Faraday Cage because the Doctor's ghost let them out.... but that means the only reason the crew needed to be rescued by the Doctor was because HE put them into danger in the first place. The Doctor had to go back in time in order to trick the Fisher King, that's fine, but in doing do he removed the actual danger to the crew and Clara, and letting the ghosts out just put them into a danger they had been safely out of. Also he tells Clara not to let the phone out of her sight as he needs to know what his ghost does, which kicks off a whole thing with Lunn (who hasn't seen the message) going after it when it is stolen and then used as bait by the ghosts to get at Clara and Cass (both of whom act like complete idiots)... but the Doctor never calls her back so even that whole thing was them being put into harm's way for no reason beyond a need for drama. Then comes the final excuse, that all this happened the way it did because that's the way it happened, because the whole thing is a Bootstrap Paradox. But simply lampshading the fact that none of this makes any sense doesn't change the fact that it doesn't make any sense. A wry smile from the Doctor is all well and good, but it is calling attention to a problem with the story that not only won't be resolved, but can't be. Which leaves the viewer with a choice to make, either the story and performances were compelling enough that this doesn't matter, or they weren't and this sticks out like a sore thumb. Happily for me it is the former, and there SHOULD be some weirdness when time-travel is involved (no wonder the TARDIS wanted no part of any of this) but I can easily see the whole Bootstrap Paradox problem irritating people or making them dislike the episode. Especially since you can't really ignore it as it is front and center with the main character calling direct attention to it.

Then there's the Fisher King.

Great concept, poor execution. The Fisher King feels almost extraneous to the story, in that there probably really wasn't any reason it needed to be alive/out of suspended animation and the story could have mostly continued the way it did anyway. The deaths of the Tivolian and O'Donnell could have still happened with a little rewriting, and it actually may have made the Fisher King a more compelling villain if all of this horror was happening even though he himself was dead, and this was all spiraling out of control due a dead warlord's petty revenge after death. But he's included, and the costume design for him is excellent.... when he's in the dark. In silheoutte he looks amazing, especially when he looms menacingly over Capaldi who does a great job portraying the Doctor's fear (duplicitous, in perhaps unconscious imitation of the Tivolians). But then it stomps outside in the full (cloudy) light of day and the effect is largely ruined. Outside, it looks for all the world like what it is, a well designed but obviously manufactured costume worn by an actor. Watching him slowly trudge his way around the village lends him an air of the ridiculous, if anything the Tivolian (Prentis) looks more menacing in his undertaker outfit (especially when he's a ghost), and then the terrible effect of the Fisher King being washed away by the flood just removes any sense of menace he might have had.

There are other problems, like the terrible presentation of Cass' "hearing" when stupidly stomping about alone looking for Lunn, or the fact that out of nowhere at the end of the story the Doctor has figured out how to erase the message from their minds (which would have prevented any of this happening in the first place). But overall these issues only minorly detracted from the overall story for me. Under the Lake and Before the Flood are a couple of very solid episodes that together form a very strong pair. While both could mostly stand alone, I think they work better watched back-to-back, and they're enjoyable enough that in the moment it is easy to overlook or forgive any of the flaws or inconsistencies in the story. Stop and take a closer look though and things start to fall apart, with the explanation of the Bootstrap Paradox coming across as a trifle lame excuse for not quite being able to tie everything up in a neat little bow. Visually though the story is a treat, and the base-under-siege tone of the first part of the story is always a welcome thing for me in Doctor Who. You could do a lot worse for 2-parters, a fact that will unfortunately be easily proven in this series of the revival. Very easily.

:sigh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 14, 2016

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm assuming "Story and Disco" is a biography of Ian Levine? :v:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Hence the tequila.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The secondary console room for the Eighth Doctor?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Literary Theory is a whodunnit about the death of an author.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

The secondary console room for the Eighth Doctor?

I'm sure his record and video game console collections far surpass mine.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The worst part of the lake two parter is they have a monster voiced by serafinowicz and screamed by Corey from slipknot. And both of those voices are criminally underused.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually completely forgot about Serafinowicz doing the voice, and I had no idea about Corey Taylor!

Yeah, completely wasted use of both of them, sadly.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I actually completely forgot about Serafinowicz doing the voice, and I had no idea about Corey Taylor!

Yeah, completely wasted use of both of them, sadly.

Seriously part one was amazing. Almost like an old school Who episode. And then part two. The promise of that voice.

One of my biggest dr who disappointments.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

BSam posted:

Seriously part one was amazing. Almost like an old school Who episode. And then part two. The promise of that voice.

It honestly would still be pretty decent if they had just cut before he gets cartoonishly blasted off into the sunset. A lot of series 9's issues could be fixed with tighter editing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

And More posted:

It honestly would still be pretty decent if they had just cut before he gets cartoonishly blasted off into the sunset. A lot of series 9's issues could be fixed with tighter editing.

For instance, editing out the Zygon episodes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

They're finally doing it!!!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-two-masters-trilogy---coming-soon

:dance:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BSam posted:

It still warmed my heart when he said "Tiiime Looooohd", a la Web of Caves.

But, yes.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

And More posted:

I actually don't remember that as I got blackout drunk while watching it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Please God let the younger Master somehow outsmart the older Master. I just want to hear the words,"I should have seen that coming....." before everything falls apart :allears:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i gotta say, dudes, series nine of DW is just one long exhausting bummer

im kinda glad of the break tbh because this has been one intensely draining season

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i mean tbf the specific way i watch it exacerbates the issues but i really don't like really not liking watching doctor who

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Imagine having, instead of choosing, to wait a week after a bad part 1 for an as bad or possibly even worse part 2. I tapped out after episode 6 so I could binge watch the rest of the episodes before the finale.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i dunno, i wanted to keep it out of the other thread for obvious reasons but in this year and a half or so I can honestly say i never felt this beaten down by watchin who

even series one, which is like...garbage i was viewing with the expectation that it was horrible,

nine is just like, every possible misstep that could be made is made over and over and it's SUPER depressing

it's frustrating because i came into this season all boned up for it i was SUPER excited and every subsequent week I just got more and more like "oh, this is...this is just not good, huh"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

i mean tbf the specific way i watch it exacerbates the issues but i really don't like really not liking watching doctor who

Yeah, this wasn't the best season. If it wasn't for Heaven Sent I would have considered the entire thing a wash.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

Welcome to the fandom man have a chair. You'll be here a while.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you're getting sad about season nine, you could always go back and watch Nine's season. It holds up a lot better when you have... this... to compare it to.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I can understand how this season can come off like a pretty long bummer of an experience. Capaldi's coming to grips with a list of bad options and miseries at every turn and Clara drifts in and out of character and plot importance. There's just not a lot of story uppers around. Pacing and editing problems I want to attribute to a burning-out Moffatt team, but I find myself looking past that and occasional plot holes for the pure Whoness of 12.

In its defense, I think about half of this season makes for some pretty solid to quite good Who when viewed holistically with the full run of the show. And if you can view part one of the Zygon story and Attack of the Eyeboogers to be low-quality outliers (say, on par with of a couple of unnamed Tennant stinkers), it compares pretty well with most other seasons.

Like, go back through this (TITLE SPOILERS, TOXX)- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials -and even if you just do the Modern Era Doctors I would happily drop about a third of most seasons. Admittedly I might like Apprentice/Familiar and Lake/Flood a bit more than this thread, but if you can include the two Christmas specials like Wikipedia does this is as good a season as any since the magical series 5. Capaldi and Clara aren't Tennant and Donna or Smith/Amy/Rory by any stretch, but I'm still mostly down with what the show's been doing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The season isn't as bad as it's made out to be, to me at least. I'm more just disappointed because it's so wildly inconsistent and it doesn't feel like it's particularly going anywhere. Even once the full season is over and you can look back at it in the greater context what it was going for it was still an utter mess getting there.

It's especially disappointing because season 8 was so strong.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I still stand by this season being a stronger one than most, but that's because I think I judge the overall quality of a season on a different standard.

I mentioned it in the last thread, but my metric on the overall quality of a season is how I'd feel about watching all of it again, in full. So season 7 comes out the worst there, because (excluding Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor if you count them) none of the good really outweighs the bad. Even then, most of season 7 isn't what I'd count as all that awful, it's just that there's not enough good for me to want to sit through the bad.

Season 9 has episodes I'd rather skip, but even those have highlights enough that I'd be on board with rewatching them, and it's got some REALLY good episodes in there to make up for it. I wouldn't put it as near my favorite like I did when I talked about this last year, but it's like... a solid third place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I was reminded last night that once I finished Sarah Jane's classic series run, I would sit down and watch my first Second Doctor story. I'm open to suggestions.

(Anything) but The War Games. I don't want my first Troughton story to be his last)

• Locked thread